• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thejjbb
    • Apr 2008

New Creation: Object Burned Leather Gloves

New project!

Created a glove pattern based on my own hand, made the gloves out of the same leather I used for the accordion bag I made a while back (super soft cow/calf leather), then finished it with a leather treatment I have been experimenting with, that is to say, selectively exposing the leather to flame to warp and bubble it. Incredibly happy with the result.

Left glove front/back:

Detail shot of what the treatment does:

Fit:

Bonus side creation: Necklace of pre-ban ivory (augmented natural grain) and oxidized silver

have you investigated in how long the leather will last if you burn it? wont it turn very brittle and fragile in the shrunken areas?

Comment

• thejjbb
      • Apr 2008

It would, but the leather itself is not actually burned. If it's burned it will crack and fall apart. With this though, the leather is oily enough that some of its oil can dry out and there's still enough to maintain structural integrity. It just requires some finesse when doing the flame treatment.

It's more like a really intense controlled washing/drying process then actual burning, though the process of treatment very much looks like someone trying to burn the leather.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Very neat work! For my next collection, Im also working with preban ivory as well. Great minds think alike!

Keep up the good work!
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• BeauIXI
          • Nov 2008

It would be awesome if you could have some moulds made of your hands, then make the gloves, then lower the moulds with the gloves, into a pot of boiling oil for a few minutes. Wonder what kind of results you would obtain?
          Originally posted by philip nod
          somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• thejjbb
            • Apr 2008

I'm pretty sure boiling leather in oil was used as a way to harden/set it for armor and shields, so I imagine you'd get a pretty extreme effect. However, it would probably shrink considerably from the heat, so it would have to be made larger than intended and shrunk to fit in the process. It's actually a treatment that I've been contemplating trying, but have yet to get around to. I'll be sure to post if I do though, so you can see whatever craziness ensues.

And thanks Chinorlz! I really appreciate the praise, as I am a very big fan of the work you've been doing with Collateral. I can't wait to see what you're using the ivory for!

Comment

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
              It would be awesome if you could have some moulds made of your hands, then make the gloves, then lower the moulds with the gloves, into a pot of boiling oil for a few minutes. Wonder what kind of results you would obtain?
              crispy deep fried gloves.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎