X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flux
    • Apr 2024

Simple leather tote

Since there wasn't any minimal leather totes out there that truly caught my eye, I decided to make one myself. I got the treated leather from a local leather supplier and altered some simple tote patterns to make this one. I'm still wondering whether or not I should "box the corners" of the bottom to give the bag more depth.

The five-bar gate tally mark stitchings were created due to practical reasons (well, the first four bars were, added the fifth for looks) but shall stay as my signature mark from now on. :)
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

I really like it flux, and indeed you should box the corners.........
    the five bar signature is nice too
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• mesko
      • Nov 2009

Amazing texture, indeed! Not fond of tote bags in general, but this may be the best one yet.

Comment

• gnarjen
        • Oct 2009

i love this. you did an incredible job.
        i've been wanting a black leather tote bag for a while now but keep putting off making it, i think maybe now's the time.
        i hear you on wondering whether or not to box the bottom. i have several totes i've gotten from shows that aren't boxed that i don't use nearly as much as this ksubi one i got that is. maybe you can make another and then you'll have two sick totes, each with a different look.

Comment

I'm still thinking whether or not to box the corners, so I guess I'll use it like this for awhile and see if it's necessary. Good points though, thanks everyone!

Comment

• Wax
            • Sep 2009

without the corners this one would be perfect for storing documents and other goodies that have this format!
            Keep it that way

Comment

• mesko
              • Nov 2009

Don't box them. It will add unnecessary detail.

Comment

• thaiison
                • Dec 2009

yeah keep it, looks great! love the texture, good job

Comment

• Nostromo
                  • Jan 2010

Wow!
                  The leather looks really dope. I would say that you inspired me to try something like this by myself, but I'm afraid that I'm the biggest noob when it comes to things like stitching etc.

Comment

• mononon
                    • Sep 2009

very nice. i love the blistered texture of the leather. definitely something i would love to use...
                    calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

Thanks everyone! I've been wearing this around a lot and gotta say I'm very pleased now that I decided to make it. Haven't boxed the corners yet, no need so far.

Originally posted by Nostromo View Post
                      Wow!
                      The leather looks really dope. I would say that you inspired me to try something like this by myself, but I'm afraid that I'm the biggest noob when it comes to things like stitching etc.
                      I'm quite a noob myself (well apart from the classes we had to take in elementary and high school) but I learn more and more as I go. Simple leather tote like this isn't too hard to make. You just have to have the right tools: a good leather foot, needle for leather sewing, and strong yarn. Good luck!

Comment

• kuugaia
                        • Feb 2010

Looks great as is, really awesome. The leather itself is what really made this that little bit more special than a regular tote.

Comment

• Skin
                          • Sep 2010

Hey, can you make me one of those?

Originally posted by flux View Post
                          Since there wasn't any minimal leather totes out there that truly caught my eye, I decided to make one myself. I got the treated leather from a local leather supplier and altered some simple tote patterns to make this one. I'm still wondering whether or not I should "box the corners" of the bottom to give the bag more depth.

The five-bar gate tally mark stitchings were created due to practical reasons (well, the first four bars were, added the fifth for looks) but shall stay as my signature mark from now on. :)

Comment

• crtk001
                            • Nov 2010

i've been looking all over for a tote like this and can't find one anywhere so i think i'm going to be forced to enlist someone to make me one.

Comment

• nadir
                              • May 2011

Love the texture - how has the leather been treated?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎