X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaintedBlack_7
    • Sep 2010

Made a Nail ring

So after spending a few minutes studying each of these designers rings, i thought i'd give it a shot.

I noted how rugged the julius pieces looked, and i liked how the margela piece was just 1 "loop" giving it a more masculine feel.

I don't know if i'll ever wear it, it was just one of those things can toughen up someone else's design.

________
    SUZUKI DR650
    Last edited by PaintedBlack_7; 02-10-2011, 07:31 PM.
  • rocknrollnigger
    • Jan 2009

You needed to use a longer nail. It's also not very circular. I would work on those two things if you tried making this again.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

I have to agree, looks like a bent nail, not a ring.

also, I'd recommend grinding the tip a bit, if you leave it that sharp it'll break fabric easily.
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

That ring in the middle is a not by Ann D btw, the picture is from my blog and it's a custom made ring that I bought from a member on this forum.

But yeah, I think you need a longer nail to make the ring properly.

Comment

• stefker
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
          I have to agree, looks like a bent nail, not a ring.

also, I'd recommend grinding the tip a bit, if you leave it that sharp it'll break fabric easily.
          isn't it a bit dangerous, too?

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
            • Sep 2010

i took the tip down by quickly touching it agaisnt a bench grinder its not sharp.

i beat it around a piece of round stock, any tips on how to make it a little more round?

i'll make another one, maybe one that is longer like the one in the middle
            ________
            K1100Rs

Comment

• reborn
              • Aug 2008

if you used a real nail (steel), then it'll be a challenge to shape. You'll have to heat it till it's red hot, then hammer around a form, then cool.

Instead of a real nail, use a thick gauge brass or silver wire (8ga approx), flatten one end with a hammer, file the other end to a point. anneal the wire, bend around a form, texture the wire to make it look like a nail, sand to desired shine.

you could also carve the piece in wax, and then cast it.

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

you may want to be a bit careful with brass though, some brass contains lead to make it more pliable, but that may not be such a healthy thing to have against your skin for longer periods of time i think. also the copper in brass tends to oxidize and stain your finger green...

Comment

• Pontifex
                  • Jun 2010

There was some kind of farmers market close to where I live this weekend. I happened to pass by and saw a blacksmith selling hand crafted iron nails among other things. I thought about this thread and asked him to do a ring for me. Total cost $7....this is the result:

oh, R'lyeh?

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Pontifex View Post
                    There was some kind of farmers market close to where I live this weekend. I happened to pass by and saw a blacksmith selling hand crafted iron nails among other things. I thought about this thread and asked him to do a ring for me. Total cost $7....this is the result:

thats clean, do you think he can make it not so flat ?

also i solved my not so round problem, i took a propane torch

after i tack welded the bottom of my nail to a piece of scrap steel i had and rolled the nail around the bar while red hot
                    ________
                    Nevada Marijuana Dispensary

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎