• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Dries van Noten Opens a Men's Store in Paris

Just a headline from WWD for now.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

Dries Van Noten, which presented its women’s collection yesterday, also opened its first men’s only store at 9 Quai Malaquais, a few feet away from its women’s boutique.
    The brand’s 1,076 square foot shop’s interior reflects the seventies rust colored look, while furniture and design objects from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, adds to the rich vintage feel.
    The evening collection of guys, Line 9, which was sold exclusively at the Paris store, features tuxedo jackets and trousers, silky tops and bottoms and a velvet dinner jacket. In addition to that a small accessories collection in a similar tone is also on sale.
    Dries Van Noten now counts a total of four freestanding units: in Antwerp, Belgium; Tokyo, and Paris, which has two locations.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

My blurb and photo
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

ah its in the former gallery, I remember looking at windows..

I always wondered why there was no mens at the old store. Not sure if a standalone mens store will be succesful though?
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Johnny
          • Sep 2006

thanks for the info faust. i spent several hours in the women's shop (which is a lovely place) a few months ago with my wife and crazy daughter running around everywhere (standing on the antique tables and getting told-off by the assistants!). at least I'll have somewhere to go next time.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

lol. yes, works the other way around too! you are welcome. we went in one time in paris, and i did not like the haute bourgeois vibe of the women's store (mostly because of the sales people, and we were there after the rick owens show, so you can imagine how we looked). a clash of cultures, so to speak. but i am sure the new space is lovely, and i will stop by next time i'm in paris.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
              • Jan 2010

I don't have a WWD account, does it say if Gert Voorjans was the designer of the shop? He's the designer behind some of the Dries van Noten shops in Asia.
              THE HOUSE OF DIS
              embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ Yes, his name is mentioned in the press release.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                  • Jan 2010

Cool. I guess I should try and hit him up for a job again. I had drinks with him and some of my other friends the last night I was in Antwerp.
                  THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• atuhsad
                    • Nov 2009

is there a chance of Dries opening a store in the US? Specifically NYC? I just feel it would be a logical step to have a B&M store of his own here.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

That would be nice. I haven't heard anything. I don't think Belgian designers in general like to venture much into the U.S., although Dries and Raf both have dedicated PR here.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                        • Jan 2010

I think a DvN shop would do well in NYC but solo shops are very expensive to build and run. Not that he doesn't have the money but his clothes are already well represented in New York so financially it might not make sense to take the risk. It would be nice though.
                        THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Yes, the amount of womenswear Barneys alone buys would be enough to fill a little store. I think a certain SZ member won't let me lie...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thecure
                            • May 2008

This summer I spoke with the Rep. for Dries, and I asked the same question and her answer was that Dries doesn't really care for New York City and he can't visually imagine placing a store in Manhattan. He picks his location by the history of the building and area.

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

Hhmm , that seems a bit precious for someone with stores in Singapore and Hong Kong. Presumably, then, those locations weren't chosen because of the proximate vast amounts of disposable income liable to be spent on Western "high fashion"?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎