Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brands: The Opiate of the Non-Religious Masses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MJRH
    • Nov 2006

Brands: The Opiate of the Non-Religious Masses?

Brand Loyalty an Expression of Self-Worth, Just Like Religion

External Markers Only Matter If Others Can See Them

By Karl Leif Bates

DURHAM, N.C. -- The brand name logo on a laptop or a shirt pocket may do the same thing for some people that a pendant of a crucifix or Star of David does for others.

For people who aren't deeply religious, visible markers of commercial brands are a form of self-expression and a token of self-worth, just like symbolic expressions of one's faith, according to new research by a Duke University marketing professor and colleagues in New York and Tel Aviv.

In fact, the more religious a person is, the less those sort of brand expressions seem to matter, according to a series of experiments run by the team. Their paper, "Brands: The Opiate of Non-Religious Masses?," appears currently online in the journal Marketing Science.

"People with a high involvement in religiosity aren't necessarily as brand-conscious as people who don't practice religion," said Gavan Fitzsimons, the R. David Thomas Professor of Marketing and Psychology at The Fuqua School of Business. This is true at least for visible expressions of brand, like socks and sunglasses.

The team first conducted a field study in which they looked at several geographic areas for the number of Apple stores per million people, the number of brand stores such as Macy's and Gap, and a comparison statistic they called the "brand-discount store ratio." Then they compared these rough measures of brand reliance against the number of congregations per thousand and self-reported attendance in church or synagogue, controlling for income, education and urbanization differences. In every analysis, they found a negative relationship between brand reliance and religiosity.

To zero in on the question, they performed four laboratory experiments in which feelings of religiosity were manipulated before subjects went through imaginary shopping experiences.

In a group of 45 college students, one group was primed by being asked to write a short essay on "what your religion means to you personally," while the other group wrote about how they spend their days. Then each group was sent on an imaginary shopping trip in which they chose between products shown two at a time, national brand versus store brand.

Some of the products were forms of self-expression, such as sunglasses, watches and socks. Other products were functional items like bread, batteries and ibuprofen.

The group that had been primed to think about religion was less likely to choose branded products of self expression. This was particularly true for publicly viewable products that could be used to express identity.

A second, Internet-based experiment measured the self-reported religiosity of 356 participants, and then ran them through the same shopping experience. Again, those that were highly religious cared less about national brands for the self-expressive products. For the functional products, level of religiosity didn't make a difference.

Two more experiments demonstrated that religion reduces brand reliance by apparently satisfying the need to express self-worth.

"We don't think people are choosing these brands, consciously saying, 'I want to signal to everyone how I feel about myself through this brand,' " said Fitzsimons, whose iPhone rings with Johnny Cash singing "Ring of Fire." But sub-consciously, it's likely a different story.

"Brands are a signal of self-worth," Fitzsimons said. "We're signaling to others that we care about ourselves and that we feel good about ourselves and that we matter in this world. It's more than 'I'm hip or cool,' " he said: "I'm a worthwhile person, and I matter, and you should respect me and think that I'm a good person, because I've got the D&G on my glasses. "

So if you were the brand manager for a new kind of apparel, you might study the demographics of your markets in a different way, Fitzsimons said. "If you knew that your target customers were largely more religious, that'd probably suggest the store brand path would be easier. If you knew that your customers were largely not at all religious, that suggests that you might want to focus more toward building a national brand."

Co-authors on the study were Ron Shachar, chair of marketing at Tel Aviv University; Tulin Erdem, the Leonard N. Stern Professor of Business at New York University; and Keisha Cutright, a Duke Ph.D. student.

Citation – "Brands: The Opiate of the Non-Religious Masses?" Ron Shachar, Tülin Erdem, Keisha M. Cutright, Gavan J. Fitzsimons, Marketing Science, articles in advance, Sept. 24, 2010. DOI: 10.1287/mksc.1100.0591
    Original link. Found via Agenda Inc. (an excellent blog). PDF of the paper "Brands: The Opiate of the Non-Religious Masses?"
    ain't no beauty queens in this locality

i guess it's true for music and art in general. i make very little separation between religion and music/art/fashion/etc. Religion might have a different territory in terms of explaining the unknown, but other than that, it's a tool for everything human.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

This is hilarious. Especially the socks part. Once could skewer this in so many ways, if one cared.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
        • Jan 2009

"'People with a high involvement in religiosity aren't necessarily as brand-conscious as people who don't practice religion," said Gavan Fitzsimons, the R. David Thomas Professor of Marketing and Psychology at The Fuqua School of Business. This is true at least for visible expressions of brand, like socks and sunglasses."

so these people tuck their pants into their socks?

"'Brands are a signal of self-worth," Fitzsimons said. "We're signaling to others that we care about ourselves and that we feel good about ourselves and that we matter in this world. It's more than 'I'm hip or cool,' " he said: "I'm a worthwhile person, and I matter, and you should respect me and think that I'm a good person, because I've got the D&G on my glasses.'"

What a miserable study. Sorry MJRH, I appreciate you posting this, but for me it only highlights the deficiency between business and proper social science. Interesting how they make no mention of outliers, like say, over half this board.
        An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
        I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• MJRH
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
          What a miserable study. Sorry MJRH, I appreciate you posting this, but for me it only highlights the deficiency between business and proper social science. Interesting how they make no mention of outliers, like say, over half this board.
          I'm not endorsing the study by any means, but I thought it was a fascinating read. SZ would indeed be an outlier. Definitely more of a cult than a religion.

so these people tuck their pants into their socks?
          Don't you ever wear socks and sandals?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MJRH View Post
            I'm not endorsing the study by any means, but I thought it was a fascinating read. SZ would indeed be an outlier. Definitely more of a cult than a religion.

Don't you ever wear socks and sandals?
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Skye X
              • Oct 2010

Ah, but that's why we're not mentioned: we're the outliers. When considering the market, unless one is starting an exclusive, luxury, or couture brand, the marketing strategy is inevitably to appeal to the largest number of possible consumers.

Our desire for unique design and exceptional quality of construction and material is relevant to our personal aesthetic rather than the need for cultural acceptance. One need look no further than this thread for proof of that.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

It's true, but what if a subcultural acceptance is good enough? There are some people who certainly seem to shoot for SZ approval by constantly posting their outfits and not much else. Others use it to buy stuff that we champion, because that's what they think is cool.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Skye X
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  It's true, but what if a subcultural acceptance is good enough? There are some people who certainly seem to shoot for SZ approval by constantly posting their outfits and not much else. Others use it to buy stuff that we champion, because that's what they think is cool.
                  I can see that as being a very clear reality. Unfortunately, the majority of people do like to fit into molds, and that's why they're a majority. And as you point out, even in a place like this, where difference and aesthetic are regarded over brands and celebrity culture, there is that same desire.

I personally don't dress in a –and I quote from several posts I've seen– "SZ approved" manner, but I love a lot of the lines. I just don't dress in them head to toe, as that wouldn't be me. You'll see what I mean when I have my 25 posts and can start on waywt. It certainly isn't the norm, for here or anywhere else for that matter, but it's my aesthetic, and others be damned if they don't like it.

Comment

• sam_tem
                    • Apr 2007

you don't have to do a study to prove to me that religious folks are unfashionable, i live in the bible belt and could have told you that.

but the survey methods used (40 college kids and an internet survey) are incapable of proving anything here though.

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

the article is a stupid one and I dont even know why i am commenting on it.

the idea that religious people aren't fashionable is a dumb idea.
                      Did the writer ever stop to think that a majority of religious people are from the poorer classes with less disposable income and as such, might think that there are things more important to prioritize than brand name products?

I am a deeply religious man, and certainly not unfashionable, nor are many of the religious people I know. well, possibly its different because I live in New York.
                      maybe its a matter than the symbols of fashion to a religious person are the ones these researchers are ignorant of...........
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• MJRH
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                        the idea that religious people aren't fashionable is a dumb idea.
                        Did the writer ever stop to think that a majority of religious people are from the poorer classes with less disposable income and as such, might think that there are things more important to prioritize than brand name products?
                        I think you may be conflating brand-consciousness with fashionability. The article, as far as I can see, only seems to be commenting on the former. In fact, as a non-religion man, I also take offense to the article, which asserts that for me "visible markers of commercial brands are a form of self-expression and a token of self-worth". (My D&G sunglasses notwithstanding )

As for your question, if it wasn't rhetorical, the authors of the original study addressed it:

We found that higher religiosity, as measured by the number of congregations and self-reported church attendance, is associated with lower levels of brand reliance. ... Further, we found that this result is strongest in high income states. ... we found that higher religiosity is associated with lower brand reliance, but only among high income individuals.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

MJRH, the socks-theme was alone worth posting this. Totally awesome.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎