• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Theyskens named artistic director of Theory

Well, now he's officially dead...

NEW YORK — It’s Theory times two for Olivier Theyskens.

In addition to designing the Theyskens’ Theory label, which is launching for spring, he will now take over design responsibility for the entire Theory brand as its new artistic director.

The move will bring Theyskens’ design sensibility to a new global audience. Since bursting onto the fashion scene in 1997, the designer has made a name for himself with an ethereal, romantic and sometimes dark fashion aesthetic for Rochas and Nina Ricci, which made him an industry darling but always kept his clothes reserved for the select few.

By partnering with Theory for Theyskens’ Theory, Theyskens became the latest in a string of high fashion designers to embrace more accessible price points. In his new role, Theyskens is expected to give Theory, which was instrumental in creating the contemporary field when it launched 13 years ago, a fashion jolt while continue to appeal to its existing customer.

The first Theory collection designed by Theyskens will be unveiled for the fall 2011 season.

“Working on Theyskens’ Theory has been very inspiring for me and for the company,” Andrew Rosen, founder and co-chief executive officer of Theory, said. “The launch has been very successful. This is an opportunity to work with Olivier on a much grander scale.”

The idea of expanding Theyskens’ responsibility at the firm crossed Rosen’s mind pretty much from the beginning of their collaboration.

“Working with Olivier on the initial concept for Theyskens’ Theory, I can’t say that I wasn’t thinking about this all along,” he said. “This was a natural progression. In some ways, it may seem radical, but for Olivier and me, it was not radical at all. He has been involved in the culture of the company for the past six months.”

Theyskens’ name frequently comes up in conjunction with top jobs at major European and American fashion houses, but the Belgian designer said he felt drawn to the idea of making clothes that people can wear every day. Many of Theory’s purist design elements have already informed his initial styles for Theyskens’ Theory, which he will continue to design, and he sees much opportunity ahead for the Theory label itself. “There are a lot of things that we can do,” Theyskens said. “It’s very stimulating for me.”

Theyskens is being charged with everything from building the accessories assortment to overseeing men’s wear, an area he so far hasn’t tackled. “I can’t wait,” Theyskens said. “I haven’t designed men’s wear yet, but it’s been on my mind. I feel very comfortable doing men’s wear.”

He also cited a strong rapport with Rosen and the Theory team as a reason he accepted this new role.

Theory has sales of over $500 million, with a global network of retailers that sell the collection. Rosen said Theyskens, whose name is recognized in fashion circles worldwide, will also help build the brand’s global profile. “I feel that Olivier’s creativity and energy is what we need for our global expansion,” he said.

Bringing a name like Theyskens’ to a brand like Theory is also indicative of just how much the contemporary category has evolved since the brand was launched. Rosen played an instrumental role in the shift, having transformed Helmut Lang from a designer label into one of the hottest contemporary lines, and investing into younger names like Alice + Olivia and Rag & Bone, which now compete for the more traditional designer customer.

“The world evolves, people’s tastes evolve and the way of life evolves,” Rosen said. “Fashion has to evolve too. This is a natural evolution. Companies cannot get stuck in one place. The culture of the company won’t change, but the energy and creativity will change because there is a new force involved. Even though the Theory business is very strong, I felt it was important to step up the game. I saw a great opportunity to infuse Theory not only creatively but also energetically with someone like Olivier.”

Istvan Francer, Theory’s design director, is likely to move to another brand within Theory’s Japanese affiliate Fast Retailing Co. Ltd., which owns Uniqlo.

“Istvan has made a tremendous contribution to Theory over the last six years, and I have appreciated his creativity and partnership,” Rosen said. “He and I are currently discussing other opportunities within Fast Retailing.”

Theyskens isn’t saying au revoir to designer clothes for good. He said that he is open to creating one-of-a-kind pieces for special occasions, but, for the time being, quite enjoys exploring the new, more democratic fashion tier, particularly in New York. He just got an apartment in the West Village and, while he will continue to spend much time in Paris, Gotham is a welcome change. “Everybody says there is such a good energy here and I agree,” Theyskens said.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Very strange choice to my mind - only place I ever see Theory is in the Bloomingdale's 'dressier men section' / Nordstroms maybe? Seems like the usual stodgy 'classics' in a palette of cool grays. Don't really see what either stand to gain from it - Theyskens doesn't strike me as the sort of name that would have much pull with Theory's audience and Theory's audience doesn't really seem like they'd respond to Theysken's work.
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Don't worry, he'll be canned in two years for the reasons you state.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
        • Jan 2010

Not a fan of Theory but at least he's making a living for the moment. I doubt it will look anything like his original designs. I'd be interested to see what he does with menswear.
        THE HOUSE OF DIS
        embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
          Not a fan of Theory but at least he's making a living for the moment. I doubt it will look anything like his original designs. I'd be interested to see what he does with menswear.

I dont think he needs to make a living............
          At least not in the sense that there aren't better options available to him. Imean he is his own man and has to make his own decisions so I cannot fault him for this, but I would've loved to see him relaunch his own Brand..................these kind of ventures just seem like a step down for a caliber talent like he is.
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• thehouseofdis
            • Jan 2010

Of course that would be ideal but being able to finance a line is a huge undertaking. Look at how many designers have tried to restate or start labels. It's a huge financial undertaking. OT never really had a huge line or following so it makes sense that he would jump at the chance to do something more pedestrian. Maybe this will give him the funds to do another main line in the future.
            THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
              Of course that would be ideal but being able to finance a line is a huge undertaking. Look at how many designers have tried to restate or start labels. It's a huge financial undertaking. OT never really had a huge line or following so it makes sense that he would jump at the chance to do something more pedestrian. Maybe this will give him the funds to do another main line in the future.
              i am not necessarily saying that this is the case with him, but the hugeness of financing it is in the idea that once you launch your label, to get to a certain level you have to spend tons of money on shows, pr and all of those things to keep the brand relevant and having a certain Cache.

If a lot of young independent designers would eat some humble pie, focus on making great products that the clients need, then certainly, they would have more successful business, a lot less failures and the financial burden would be easier this way.............with himin particular, I dont know what his financial situation is, but certainly, he must have enough money by now to finance his own brand, he would have had to be incredibly wasteful not to...........

Maybe he doesn't want to be bothered with all the headaches of running ones own business, I have no problem with that. The last few weeks I have been getting less and less sleep, and even when I go to bed, I suddenly wake up sometimes wondering how to solve a particular problem that exist or to make something better that I am not satisfied with..........some people cant be bothered with these things, and in a way I dont blame them
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                • Jan 2010

Yeah sorry for repeating myself there. I think I had nearly gone through a bottle by then.

I think running an independent label on an international level must take a lot of work, time and money. There's the designing, sourcing fabrics, overseeing production, fashion shows, PR, sales, distribution, etc. There's a reason why so many designers call it quits after a few, or just one, collection.

For Theyskens, this is a chance for him to just get to design clothing and avoid a lot of the headaches of running his own label. Plus it's a guaranteed source of income which most people are more comfortable with. Who knows, he may really end up liking and excel designing within the constrains of a large label like Theory, or he may decide it's not his thing. He's still pretty young so I wouldn't count him out yet.

In my own experience designing interiors, I've done residential, health care, and retail among others, but the retail design is what really clicked with me and it took me several years (and jobs) to discover that.
                THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Dis, don't mean to dis, but your argument is a little beside the point, although I see how Zam's clamoring for Theyskens to relaunch his own label might trigger that. I don't know how much of his old work you have seen, but him doing Theory is akin to LeBron James going back to play high school ball. What I am trying to say is that any of these huge old houses would greatly benefit from such a giant talent -Loewe, for example. Or fuck, hire him at Gucci - I don't care, just let the guy DO something.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                    • Jan 2010

I haven't seen much of Theyskens work in person but I remember finding out about him in the late 90s and his love of the hook-and-eye. I also am familiar with his work at Rochas and Nina Ricci.

If you're making sports analogies I would say it's like an NBA player playing basketball on a Wii. My point is that while it's still basketball it's a totally different game and designing for a mall line like Theory is totally different from designing for a haute couture or RTW high fashion line. Of course it would be great if Theyskens still has his own line or started designing for Gucci or Hermès, but it sounds like he wants to try something different. I doubt anyone on this forum will be buying Theory, but it doesn't mean that he won't be able to create some good designs.
                    THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• fashiongrunge
                      • Feb 2010

Hey guys! This is one of my first posts on here...

I have never been such a big fan of Theory but I am however interested to see what Olivier can do for this line. It has always seemed quite lackluster and more of a "mom" line to me when I see it merchandised in various department stores. This is an interesting move for him.
                      fashiongrunge.com

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

There is nothing interesting about this move, and there is nothing he will be able to do there. It's clear as a bell. Their business is to sell slacks and dress shirts for those under the illusion that a 40% premium over Banana Republic makes Theory's garbage any different. They might as well swap the tags and no one would know the difference. This is PR hype that is probably cheaper than massive advertising. Not the first time and not the last.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

New IHT/NYT article that sheds some light on the whole thing.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Re: shape, yes and no. Some shapes require more craftmanship to cut and thefore master pattern makers who are expensive. They can also require significantly more fabirc, which can also increase the price of the garment. But fore more basic shapes slightly altered that makes sense.

Agreed about Theyskens' Theory - the garments look good on the runway/photos, pretty shitty in real life and very expensive for what you get.

It is still weird to see a designer who basically did couture to essentially work for Uniqlo. Ultimate irony.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tricotineacetat
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Re: shape, yes and no. Some shapes require more craftmanship to cut and thefore master pattern makers who are expensive. They can also require significantly more fabirc, which can also increase the price of the garment. But fore more basic shapes slightly altered that makes sense.

Agreed about Theyskens' Theory - the garments look good on the runway/photos, pretty shitty in real life and very expensive for what you get.

It is still weird to see a designer who basically did couture to essentially work for Uniqlo. Ultimate irony.
                              I'm surprised you still find the clothes to be 'very expensive' based on the fact that the line (similar to Alexander Wang) is significantly lower priced in the US than it is in Europe or other markets, positioning it on a totally different price tier as European mainline designer collections. You will probably notice that gap particularly since Ann and Rick are both subject of import taxes and shall thus be even more expensive on your market than where they are being made.

I have personally had very close bonds to the house of Rochas when Olivier was there and have thus seen his designs up close and inside out - It would be impossible compare his Theory work with the same quality standards they employed then, taking into account that Rochas was positioned at the very top of the luxury goods market and Theyskens Theory is on the lower end of that market... You could buy three to four of his Theory jackets for the price of one at Rochas, that's how much the gap between the two is.

Also, granted that Theory has to sell in quantities and thus work on a variety of markets, they will likely have all means to employ an expert in-house pattern making department to make sure their clothing actually fits.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎