Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Mar 2009

Gareth Pugh for Pitti W º7

A BLOG is pleased to announce that the guest womenswear designer for the January 2011 edition of Pitti Immagine is the London-based British designer Gareth Pugh. Gareth’s beginnings in the East London clubland scene have developed into a refined, futuristic vision of directional contemporary high fashion, that will be showcased in a special presentation in Florence, Italy for Pitti next year.
    A word from Lapo Cianchi, communication & events director of Pitti Immagine:
    “In February 2007 we organized an event in Milan with Boombox which, at the time, was one of the East London creative community’s symbolic venues. Gareth Pugh was already one of the leaders of the generation of young British fashion designers who helped to make that evening so exciting.
    We have followed his work in London and Paris, seen his style evolve – from the Gothic atmospheres of the early days to today’s decidedly flamboyant effects – as well as the way he presents his collections: the video screened at the last Paris fashion week brought new energy to the discussion on the use of multimedia technologies in fashion.
    So we had all the right reasons for inviting Gareth Pugh to Florence and Pitti, where there is plenty of space for fashion experiments which can dialogue with the city’s unique historical and artistic venues. We are very happy that Gareth Pugh responded to our invitation with such enthusiasm”.
    “It is an incredible honour for me to be invited to show in Florence with Pitti. Their pioneering approach is very freeing and I am very excited to be part of the Pitti experience“. - Gareth Pugh
    Pitti Immagine 11-14th January, 2011
    Florence, Italy.
    www.pittimmagine.com
    source: http://www.ablogcuratedby.com/amagaz...for-pitti-w-7/
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Beat me too it. Thanks for posting! I hope to be there...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mar 2009

My expectations for this are really high. After having seen what he has done for ss11 (which was my favourite collection of the season)...
      Jun's show (Less But Better - SS10) was a pleasure to see. It was nice to see "techno" clothes inspired by Dieter Rams shown in a castle's courtyard (correct me if im wrong). Great contrast.

I hope he wont present a video this time........

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

/\ lol, no i doubt that it would be a video-only gig.
        yes, jun's was in a palace's garden.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
          • Mar 2009

Interview with Gareth from WGSN ( could not seem to find his thread, so Faust/Lowery if you wish to move it, please do so)

British designer Gareth Pugh talks to WGSN about his influences, his relocation from London to Paris, and the development of his brand.
          The London designer - famed for showing balloon-styled outfits on the London catwalk in his graduate collection at Central Saint Martins in 2003 - has now blossomed into a global success story. One of these debut outfits caught the eye of Dazed and Confused’s fashion director Katie Shillingford and ended up on the magazine's cover. She has since been his stylist. Pugh has now been invited to show his collection at Pitti Imagine 2010 in Florence as the "Pitti Guest" for this year.

Why did you decide to show at Pitti in January and what does it mean for you to show there?
          It’s a great honour for me to have been asked to be one of their guest designers this season and I agreed to do it for that very reason. I have created a collection for the event and am going to be staging a site-specific presentation in order to show it.

How have you successfully made the transition from young creative on the London scene to commercially viable brand with shows in Paris and a store in Hong Kong?
          A lot of hard work, and the right help and advice along the way.
          How easy has it been to make this transition?
          I’m still working on it.

Why did you decide to open your first store in Hong Kong?
          I was asked by IT - who have shops for Comme, Margiela and Anne Demeulemeester - who wanted to open the first Gareth Pugh store. Again, it was an amazing opportunity and they're a truly great company to be with because they allowed me complete freedom to create the store I wanted, and they really care about how their designers are represented. Hong Kong is a great place to be - China is a very big market for me.

Can you tell us about the design of the store – how involved were you? Who else was involved?

I designed the store with my friend and architect Iwan Halstead. We talked through the ideas and he basically turned a simple, probably very uncommercial idea into something that would work as a viable retail space - but then, that’s his job! I wanted it to be like the inside of a hard, shiny black cube, with a huge video screen on one wall. That was the brief. It was a big job and I didn't realise how complicated it all was, but it was worth it, and we were both blown away when we went over to Hong Kong for the opening. IT did a superb job.

Rick Owens seems to have become a mentor of sorts. How has he influenced your work? And who else would you say has been influential?

Rick has helped me to develop what I do into something that is commercially viable. Michele Lamy has always been the one pushing me - she helped secure the deal with my Italian factory and was instrumental in my decision to move to Paris. Ever since I met both Michele and Rick after I left college, they have both been hugely supportive of me, and I wouldn't have been able to do it all without their help. Katie Shillingford, my show stylist, and Matthew Stone, my music director, have been with me from the very beginning and are always infinitely supportive. They're people I couldn't live without, as are Simon Costin, Alex Box and Martin Cullen, who are all part of the team and work tirelessly with me each season. Mandi Lennard, my first PR, is a huge inspiration and helped me for many years from when I was showing in London right up to about a year ago, and now Karla Otto, who has a vast knowledge of the industry and who I have a great respect for. This sounds like an Oscars acceptance speech and I could go on, but I won't.

How would you define your aesthetic?
          I'll steal a line from a friend of mine - dark euphoria.

Why did you choose to do a film display instead of a fashion show last season?

I thought it was both interesting and important for me to really consider and perhaps reassess how I showed my work to a wider audience.
          It’s very easy to forget the importance of the hunger people have for new information, especially in the internet-driven age we now live in, and that the invited audience who see my show are a very small percentage (though an incredibly important one of course) of this wider audience. As soon as my show finishes, the images taken of it are available globally within a few hours, and I thought it was important to try and regain a little control over what people saw and knew me for. The move towards film was a move I made to bring creative control back into what I do, as that is so often lost with a live fashion show. It also gave me the opportunity to have each outfit photographed well and enabled me to ensure things were being presented the way I both wanted and intended. 

Other than selling clothes, a designer's job is about communication - the communication of ideas - and by making a film, instead of a live show, I think I was able to give a stronger and more succinct message about what I was doing that season, which ultimately is what fashion shows are all about.

How do you think Showstudio has influenced the way we look at fashion imagery today?

Nick Knight's Showstudio came up with the idea of an interactive, multimedia fashion shoot a whole decade before the iPad was launched, and it's a concept people are just beginning to appreciate now. I think the interesting thing is that Nick was able to see, before anyone else did, that what went on behind the scenes of a shoot, for example, was as interesting, if not more so, than the final images. Taking this idea and making each shoot into a "project" where viewers can track the whole process from initial idea to final image is truly inspired, and really is compulsive viewing. What Nick has achieved is to lay bare the process of image making and to show its complexity to anyone who cares to see it. Because of the constant hunger there is today for a look behind the scenes, or a fly-on-the-wall view, it really makes a great deal of sense and, like I said, it seems it’s an idea that the fashion industry is really just coming around to now.

Do you think catwalk shows are not an imperative these days? Is there a more modern way to show collections?

I think catwalk shows are important. There certainly are more interesting ways to show a collection, but the traditional fashion show serves a much greater need than simply showing off a new collection - it’s about an emotion, a feeling, a reaction, a group mentality, even. However, what we all need to appreciate is that fashion, as a creative industry, thrives on evolution, and just as magazines are now experiencing with the iPad, fashion shows need to evolve beyond what they are today in order to remain relevant. The premise of the fashion show has remained more-or-less unchanged from its very beginnings - they've just grown a lot bigger it seems - and now feels like the right time to try something else. Fashion Film is simply a proposition of what it could be - it’s not necessarily the future, but it is definitely a new genre in the communication of fashion today. It’s a different way of doing things altogether.

[B]Will you now be showing in Paris seasonally, rather than in London? And if so, why did you feel this move was important?

I have shown in Paris since spring/summer 2009, and my move there was prompted by winning the ANDAM award in July of 2008. The award offered me the finances to move my show to Paris. I had shown in London for some years and I think for my business to grow, the move to Paris was important.
          What other projects are you working on at the moment?
          There are a few interesting things in the pipeline, but they're things I can't discuss right now, unfortunately.
          Any dream collaborations you would love to do?
          I would love to do a music video.

Can you tell us about any other exciting projects you are working on? Next moves?
          After Pitti, its just full-steam ahead until my show in Paris in March.
          merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

T -1 to launch. Will try to take pictures.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
              • Mar 2009

Excellent
              merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Mar 2009

dont tell me it's only this stupid video.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                  • Mar 2009

Why would a video be stupid?

Its a collection specifically for pitti, he shall be doing a traditional catwalk show incorporating his mens with his women's collection in march.

Comment

• Mar 2009

Originally posted by *** View Post
                    I hope he wont present a video this time........
                    Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    /\ lol, no i doubt that it would be a video-only gig.

if theresonly this video, well, i'm pissed off. having such a nice venue to only present a video is stupid. i know all that advantages and i dont give a fuck. i want to a runway presentation.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                      • Mar 2009

/\ this doesn't really answer my question though, does it?

I think a video presentation (especially Gareth's work) in such a venue provides an interesting contrast. But, each to their own i suppose.
                      Last edited by SHYE_POSER; 01-14-2011, 04:11 AM.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                        • Mar 2009

GARETH PUGH PITTI VIDEO PRESENTATION

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

It was sick. What can I say. Projected on two huge ceiling screens in an old gothic church, yeah, that worked. No point in taking pictures of the thing, but I took some inside - will post tomorrow.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swami
                            • Jul 2008

I liked Marilyn Monroe's Blue hooded dress , sick video!

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                              • Mar 2009

I watched it laying down whilst holding my laptop in the air to get a sense of how it may have been

I love all the videos he has done in collaboration with Ruth Hogben.
                              The videos give a real sense of movement in his garments that you do not see on a traditional catwalk presentation.

Another from me. Get in Gazza!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎