X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crtk001
    • Nov 2010

nil magazine

i'm a graphic design student and i just made these pages for a mock up magazine and would love to get some input. these are just mock ups for my editorial class, however i am working on writing a thesis proposal that would be me making a full, properly published magazine exploring the relationship and ideas of fashion and gender.

nil001

nil002

nil003

nil004

nil005

nil006
    Last edited by crtk001; 11-28-2010, 04:36 PM.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Don't call Rad a fashion philosopher and Helmut an artist and it's all good.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• crtk001
      • Nov 2010

helmut is more so working as a curator but he has had solo exhibitions of his sculpture and installation work, so if not an artist what do you call him?

Comment

• diamonds
        • Dec 2006

fashion philosopher

Comment

• move_ment
          • Feb 2009

i think you should work on the heirachy of elements on each spread, the grid itself is OK but a little uninspired and safe. Also try some serif tpye options or even a mixture of the two, the current is a bit played out and stale (same goes for caption typeface). basically, you should try push yourself a little further.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by diamonds View Post
            fashion philosopher
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• crtk001
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by diamonds View Post
              fashion philosopher

well put. as for move ment, thank you, i'll look at some titling in a serif, my body text is goudy old style, however i feel it goudy doesn't work too well as headings, so i think to avoid clashing two serif any other serif would have to be a specific title font like perpetua or trajan...

Comment

• Untitled
                • Nov 2009

I love the solid grid feel and general flow of the work, the only thing im not keen on is the big black block with the title in on the cover but that's just my own taste. Over all looks clean and works well.

Im also a first year graphic design student so was stoked when i saw this posted up.

Comment

• Skye X
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by move_ment View Post
                  i think you should work on the heirachy of elements on each spread, the grid itself is OK but a little uninspired and safe. Also try some serif tpye options or even a mixture of the two, the current is a bit played out and stale (same goes for caption typeface). basically, you should try push yourself a little further.
                  This. There is no distinguishable hierarchy on any of the pages; all of the elements are given equal preference, so the page blends into one big blob instead of leading the eye around it. You have to consider each page on its own as well as in a spread. The exception to this is the title page, which I love. The small logo over the large photo looks fantastic. As an exercise to determine hierarchy, squint your eyes and look at the design. Notice how all of the elements are similar sizes and shapes? That is what needs fixing.

Heavy grid use in the case of a design like this is fine, but it can be predictable. Try playing with pushing elements through the grid parts in unexpected ways.

Your typography is nice, but a bit boring. Don't be afraid to convert your type to outlines and play with it a little bit, perhaps removing the counters in your titles or something similar. Absolutely try using a serif font; from a practical standpoint, body copy in print is much easier to read, and from an aesthetic standpoint, the piece won't come off as being so one-dimensional. A slab serif like ITC Officina can retain the clean look you're going for but still add variation to the design.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎