X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vapidly
    • Dec 2007

My Work - Mostly Leather

I have been focusing the last two years on developing my design skills. I have a degree in literature, and quickly learned how much I could do with it.
    I began pursuing what I love.
    Any comments are largely appreciated.

All bags are designed, cut and sewn by me.

Linen Three sleeve tote with leather handle and zippered middle pocket.

Clutch and or handbag

Adjustable slouch asymmetric leather tote

asymmetric slouch tote with leather closures

Handbag with railroad nail closure.

All leather is untreated calf skin. Some I have treated with mink oil to preserve and condition.
    I have a lot more. I will post some more later!

My apologies for the poor image quality. My apartment gets very poor light and I have yet to have a proper shoot for my work, which will be done within the next month.
    Last edited by vapidly; 01-28-2011, 04:15 PM.
  • docus
    • Dec 2010

Interesting to come from a literature degree to this - I'm sure there's a story to tell there! I look forward to seeing more - is it all bags or have you made garments as well?

Comment

• vapidly
      • Dec 2007

yes i have been doing some garments on the side, nothing too tailored though...pretty much just not so basic basics. i am currently putting together a small leather accessories collection and will have a website and professional photos to show...hopefully by the end of march. thank you for your reply ! I will be posting more sometime this week. And yes there is a story, but more on that another time.

Comment

• eat me
        • May 2009

What's with the chains?

Comment

• rsa
          • Nov 2009

nice stuff, did you make the shoes/boots too? can we see details of them?

Comment

• michael_kard
            • Oct 2010

The linen bag on top looks really nice on the photo, I'm just not sure about the handle, as it doesn't seem very practical, and the way it connects with the bag looks like it causes some creasing or something. Would love to see more views though.
            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• vapidly
              • Dec 2007

thanks for all the feedback.
              one of the most helpful comments I got from a shop that sold my stuff was many people loved the design and materials, but some lacked practicality. Which has been one of my biggest improvements over the last year.
              I will try to get some more photos up. As I work and take classes in the night, I don't have as much free time as I'd like.
              The shoes are not mine, but I am learning cobbling and will have my first pair finished in about 3 months. I will definitely keep y'all up to date.

And I like chains :-) I like mixing the natural with something that has been heavily manufactured.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

The chains and the pre-fab hardware to me take away from the (what looks like) nice leather that you've chosen for these pieces.

Personally I think strapping/handles etc. should be predominantly leather with minimal hardware/metal usage as it then serves to accent the work instead of draw the eye away. When I look at some of the bags, I just see shiny chrome chain or pre-riveted leather lace instead of being able to see the construction of the bag and the textures of the leather itself. The material to me is most important. Everything else should serve to feature it and not detract.

Looking forward to seeing your shoes. That is certainly no easy feat.
                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• originalre0
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by vapidly View Post
                  I have been focusing the last two years on developing my design skills. I have a degree in literature, and quickly learned how much I could do with it.
                  I began pursuing what I love.
                  Any comments are largely appreciated.

All bags are designed, cut and sewn by me.

Linen Three sleeve tote with leather handle and zippered middle pocket.

Clutch and or handbag

Adjustable slouch asymmetric leather tote

asymmetric slouch tote with leather closures

Handbag with railroad nail closure.

All leather is untreated calf skin. Some I have treated with mink oil to preserve and condition.
                  I have a lot more. I will post some more later!

My apologies for the poor image quality. My apartment gets very poor light and I have yet to have a proper shoot for my work, which will be done within the next month.
                  do u mind to tell me where can i buy leather?

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎