• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

NYT article on Anne Chapelle

From NYT on the director of BVBA 32 - Ann Demeulemeester, Haider Ackermann, Josephus Thimister.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • syed
    • Sep 2010

Wonderfully refreshing and...reassuring, if that is the right word? Especially when I remember that interview Karl Lagerfeld did with the Luxury Channel where he talked about hyper branding and global dominance (with a hood on he would look freakily like Emperor Palpatine ). I'd rather try to focus on clothes with 'heart' like Ms. Chapelle says than those with expensive logos for the world to see.
    "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• thehouseofdis
      • Jan 2010

Nice article. I've exchanged a few emails with Ms. Chapelle and she seems very sincere, grounded and proud of her designers.
      THE HOUSE OF DIS
      embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• thejarc
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
        Nice article. I've exchanged a few emails with Ms. Chapelle and she seems very sincere, grounded and proud of her designers.
        May be a stupid question but why did you exchange emails with her?

Comment

• rider
          eyes of the world
          • Jun 2009

great read, thanks. how lucky they are to have such an advocate in their corner.

Comment

• michael_kard
            • Oct 2010

Well, to me it seems like she's simply doing her job the right way, not much more than that. But then I guess not many people do that.
            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• safeword123
              • Jul 2008

Very nice read! Thanks for posting Faust.

I had to crack up when "...she questioned Mr. Ackermann about why he could not make a simple skirt or a pair of pants and why everything had to be draped." True to that. There was so much draping in his fall collection and I thought it ruined some otherwise nice looks. Very few designers can strike that perfect balance, showcasing their technical skills without being excessive.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by thejarc View Post
                May be a stupid question but why did you exchange emails with her?
                I had some questions and she had the answers.
                THE HOUSE OF DIS
                embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                  • Jan 2007

Great article. I saw Anne speak in Vienna last summer, and she seems like one of the most genuine people in the industry
                  Originally posted by jogu
                  i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• eat me
                    • May 2009

needs logging in.

Comment

• michael_kard
                      • Oct 2010

/\ Try copying the last part of the article without the ? part (in this case fashion/07iht-rchapelle07.html) and search for it on Google. You may have to do that for the second page as well, but it works.
                      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Arizona
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
                        Well, to me it seems like she's simply doing her job the right way, not much more than that. But then I guess not many people do that.
                        well, if you had experience in business, with peope in business and at business schools you woud know how rare it is with someone who has an emotional foundation for their work, and believe in something other than furthering there career.
                        if the article is correct then she is certainly rather unique and the reason why Ann D, unlike Lang, Margiela and many others, has been able to remain independent. The value of this is obvious when you compare pre-buyout work to that of today.

Comment

• michael_kard
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Arizona View Post
                          well, if you had experience in business, with peope in business and at business schools you woud know how rare it is with someone who has an emotional foundation for their work, and believe in something other than furthering there career.
                          if the article is correct then she is certainly rather unique and the reason why Ann D, unlike Lang, Margiela and many others, has been able to remain independent. The value of this is obvious when you compare pre-buyout work to that of today.
                          Maybe I do.

Anyway, I don't see how Ann is more independent than MMM. On a side note, Ann's clothes have been continuously declining quality-wise and most are nowadays produced in countries outside the EU, while her prices have doubled over the past 4 years - all these are imo indications of "furthering one's career". Nothing wrong with that, but I'm just saying that utopic notions such as an "emotional foundation" are nothing but naive.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎