X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vapidly
    • Dec 2007

Making my first Pair of Shoes

In this thread I hope to keep a photo journal of my process of making my first pair of shoes. I signed up for a class at FIT, but also scored an awesome apprenticeship with the cobbler on my street. I will update whenever there is some type of progress. Any comments are appreciated, positive or negative, but constructive!

Today I picked up a pair of lasts from Kaufman's Shoe Repair Supply. I really don't like dealing with them, but it was the only last minute solution. They only had one style and it was suck, but I figured it would be easy enough to shave down to something that would be more appropriate for my aesthetic. Here are the lasts unmodified:

Next, I took the shoe to the stone and shaped the toe to give it a less boxy shape. Pretty happy with the results, but it is very tedious to make a matching pair.

Next is the pattern making process for the mid-sole and upper, which is a huge pain, but I will keep you all up to date!
  • thehouseofdis
    • Jan 2010

Nice. I've always wanted to make a pair of shoes.

Looking forward to seeing the process.
    THE HOUSE OF DIS
    embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• lost53
      • Dec 2010

Thanks for sharing this, I can see how hard it is to keep the last's matching, well done!
      I look forward to the continuing saga, and wish you all the best with the project.

Comment

• vapidly
        • Dec 2007

This week I made a few patterns which I will post later tonight. Next step is making a cover out of scrap leather to ensure a fit on the last. Then I begin with the midsole. Will keep this updated! I will be heading to the cobbler tomorrow and hopefully get started on another pattern. It also helps that I was fired from my job two days ago.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎