X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MonaDahl
    • Sep 2008

Charles James

I thought I would do a post on Charles James since he's come up recently in connection with Rick's most recent women's collection (FW 2011), and also because he's a very important figure in fashion history that has influenced many more designers.
    Last edited by MonaDahl; 09-13-2011, 04:56 PM.
  • michael_kard
    • Oct 2010

After you posted the last jacket I learnt a few things about him and he has definitely created some of the most intricate and experimental clothing of the century. It cannot be overstated how far ahead of his time he was. Thanks again for sharing.
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Patroklus
      Banned
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
      It cannot be overstated how far ahead of his time he was.
      Was there really not a single contemporary doing similar futuristic work?

Thank you for this article MonaDahl.

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

/\ I'm not sure, my historical knowledge in the field is extremely limited. I'm sure there were a few though, but that doesn't make his work less important or significant.
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• edhohoho
          • Jan 2011

Thanks for posting. Very interesting to see the level of complexity and detail going into the ruffles and overall shape of those dresses. They really do convey the intended theme very effectively and beautifully.

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

his work is incredible. i was introduced to charles james by flipping through vintage vogue magazines from the 1940's-50's, and handling some original photographs of James for consignment. it's a shame there's no dedicated catalog of his work published anywhere. bm or the met should really do something before everyone forgets him..

here's one of James' dresses at the ocsar's this year. still looks great 60+ years later..

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎