X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thejjbb
    • Apr 2008

Cashmere lined leather aviator hoodie

Working from the pattern I made for the heavy cotton aviator hoodie, I started on a more ambitious project. Exterior is extremely soft and supple cow/calf leather for the spine, hood, and arms, and an incredibly soft goat leather that has the same surface texture, but is slightly thicker/stronger. Fully lined in cashmere, the sleeve lining continues past the leather ending in a glove (seams reverse at the very end of the arm, so they are 'correct' by normal lining standards at both the top of the arm/shoulder and the sleeve extension).

Definitely the most seasonally inappropriate garment I could have made, can't wait for winter.

Thanks for looking, comments/feedback greatly appreciated!
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Very nice!

I like the usage of the plaid cashmere lining (Mood?) and turning the ends into a glove.

The shoulders seem narrow to me giving the jacket sort of a "shrunken" feel to it. Looks like the arms at the forearms are very snug as well?

For the curved leather seams (like the center seam of the hood) I would clip little triangles out of the leather so that the buckling leather doesn't affect the curvature/contours of the curving seam.

Solid work!
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• cowsareforeating
      • Jan 2011

^ see merz's quote. that looks soooooo good man. maybe washed leather would mold better off the bat but man i wish i had one of those..

Comment

• Zenith
        • Jun 2009

Looks amazing, great job.

Also, I'd cop one of these in a heartbeat.

Comment

• thejjbb
          • Apr 2008

Thanks for the nice feedback everyone!

Forgot to mention the T-shirt is also by me, I figured it didn't deserve it's own thread.

Chinorlz- totally right about the cashmere being from mood. The leather is very supple and I made it fairly tight so that it won't be too big/saggy once it stretches from wear a little. Great advice on trimming the leather for curved seams, I'll be sure to try that in the future.

More projects on the way- draped cashmere cardigan, reversible 'static' longsleeve, and several others are in the works.

Comment

• Patroklus
            Banned
            • Feb 2011

The sleeve caps are blowing my mind in a bad way. You need to take the shoulder seams out a little further or make the cap a little more bulbous.

Comment

• marc1975
              • Dec 2010

Wow... that is a very nice jacket .
              I like the idea with the gloves you had. I don't think I have ever seen a jacket utilizing this idea.

Since I started working with leather in my last project, I know how hard it is... sometimes even one wrong stitch can lead to throwing away one part and having to redo it again - so I can imagine how much work this must have been.

To Patroklus' comment: I wouldn't know how to come up with a sleeve cap that fits perfectly when I do a trial model first with some fabric. Leather is totally different in its behaviour and will most likely also stretch a little when wearing it. So you would probably have to do a test leather model first in order to get it absolutely perfect the second time. I would only expect this in mass production.

The only critique I have - and that's a matter of taste - is that the leather seems to be just cut at the ends, and isn't turned to the inside and glued, so you would have a nicer hemline at the bottom of the jacket or the sleeves.

How much time did you spend on the jacket? Are you working in the fashion industry or are you a hobbyist?

Cheers,
              Marc

Comment

• Patroklus
                Banned
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by marc1975 View Post
                To Patroklus' comment: I wouldn't know how to come up with a sleeve cap that fits perfectly when I do a trial model first with some fabric.
                They're not supposed to fit into the arm hole perfectly. They're supposed to be oversized and then crimped to fit properly - that's how you get them to drape over the deltoid.

Comment

• nadir
                  • May 2011

Gorgeous - I would buy this if you ever decided to make more.

Comment

• ario
                    • Jul 2011

can you consider making another to sell?

Comment

• dave
                      • Aug 2010

what kind of machine did you use to sew the leather. I don't think my bernina could handle it

Comment

• semper
                        • Feb 2009

beautiful. And perhaps the only way to make very fitted leather work - doing it yourself.

apart from having it tailor made, of course
                        sicut lilium inter spinas

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎