PDA

View Full Version : Women's Fragrances

Faust
09-01-2011, 08:51 AM
This should be a useful one, as fragrances are hard to navigate and make great gifts.

rider
09-01-2011, 09:28 AM
one of my favorites is Chanel gardenia. even though i rarely wear perfume (i wonder how many women do so on a regular basis).

the hussein chalayan for comme des garcons fragrance was released recently and smelled floral but not vulgar sweet, i dont know what the top notes are though. it was nice.

MetroBulotDodo
09-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I've been wearing Creed, here and there, since the mid-90s. I tend to go for the men's scents, like Green Irish Tweed in the spring.

During the rest of the year, I wear L'Artisan's Parfumeur Dzongkha. Most of all, I wear CDG Incense d'Avignon -- both by master "nose", Bertrand Duchaufour.

Incense d'Avignon goes well with my favorite candle, which is Cire Trudon's Spiritus Sancti. I think it's because I never had to go to church that the scent of cold limestone and the withered pages of aged books stored in the library of a dark, high gothic cathedral soothes.

MBD

nadir
09-05-2011, 12:56 AM
I think my favourite fragrance on woman has to be Issey Miyake - L'eau d'Issey. If anyone walks past wearing it I can't help but turn straight away.

Faust
09-05-2011, 10:15 AM
I've been wearing Creed, here and there, since the mid-90s. I tend to go for the men's scents, like Green Irish Tweed in the spring.

During the rest of the year, I wear L'Artisan's Parfumeur Dzongkha. Most of all, I wear CDG Incense d'Avignon -- both by master "nose", Bertrand Duchaufour.

Incense d'Avignon goes well with my favorite candle, which is Cire Trudon's Spiritus Sancti. I think it's because I never had to go to church that the scent of cold limestone and the withered pages of aged books stored in the library of a dark, high gothic cathedral soothes.

MBD

This is my perennial number one. Nothing has come close yet. I feel like I own that scent now.

timber
09-06-2011, 03:07 PM
I wear Absinth by Nasomatto almost daily. It's really warm and androgynous. Woody, like rich wet earth, and it lingers like smoke. Very 'green' if that means anything.

I bought my mother Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur last year, which is amazing. It smells absolutely real, nothing artificial at all. Like the sun rising off drying fields of grass, and a hint of leather.

I like fragrances that stay really close to the skin and don't overwhelm everyone who's around you. More natural warmer smells -- I'm constructing a list of samples I'm going to order from Lucky Scent soon, so I can start hunting for something new.

christianef
09-06-2011, 11:15 PM
margiela untitled l'eau - galbanum, buchu, obviously spearmint, orange blossom and some other crap i cant distinguish at all because i have the least sensitive sense of smell ever. not big into fragrances but i like this and my bf likes it so it's all good in the hood.

jippos
09-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I love Avignon! It completely resembles (catholic) church incense, which I used to hate as a kid, but apparently now love. Reminds me that I need another bottle.
I also like Odeur 53; I like its synthetic smell and how subtle it is. Actually, I find almost all Comme scents either very good or very amusing.

Most of all, I wear CDG Incense d'Avignon -- both by master "nose", Bertrand Duchaufour.

MBD

darkbydesign
09-09-2011, 08:46 PM
My favorite women's scents are only slightly different than the ones I posted in the men's section because real scents work on almost anyone.

I'd say

1. Frederic Malle - Dominique Ropion - Portrait of a Lady (named after the literature): Originally thought it was annoyingly strong, but then realized it had some seriously nice peppery tones after about an hour. Really nice scent and I love this. Mix it with Comme des Garcons Red Series Harissa and they are very complimentary.

2. Frederic Malle - Dominique Ropion - Carnal Flower - Best floral scent of all time.

3. Comme des Garcons - Incense Jaisalmer mixed with Lime spritz (best combo scent ever!!!)

4. James Heeley - Sel Marin

5. James Heeley - Ophelia

6. Le Labo - Santal 33

7. Comme des Garcons - Rhubarb

8. James Heeley - Menthe Fraiche

9. Kilian - Sweet Redemption

10. Serge Lutens - Cyphre Rouge

Downtown
09-13-2011, 04:04 PM
We are huge fans of fragrances at Downtown...

If you enjoy Serge Lutens' Chypre Rouge, Ambre Sultan, and Daim Blond or even L'Artisan's Patchouli, Dzonghka, and Dzing, we think you would love the perfume roll-on oils from Agatha NYC.

There are three different scents: Gypsy which contains exotic woods, Egyptian incense and red musk. Dubois which conjures the essence of French perfumes as they haunt the wardrobes of fallen aristocracy furs, cashmere and carved wood. The favorite at the moment is Black Amber No.2 which contains primal notes from around the world and comprised of deep Amber and Patchouli notes. All of the scents come in a cool hand-made pouch as well.

[IMG]http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad263/Downtownshop/perfumes.jpg[/IMG (http://www.downtownshop.com/shop-by-designer/carnival-wax-1/carnival-wax-fragrance-5385.html)]

syed
09-17-2011, 10:34 AM
7. Comme des Garcons - Rubarb

I love Rhubarb, I've been wearing it quite a bit over the Summer. Starts off rather tart with a really good strong rhubarb, but mellows down to a sweet cream quite quickly. Nobody has yet commented on me smelling literally like rhubarb, although the opening is undeniably so to my nose, but you do get a lot of compliments. Just wish the lasting power was stronger, but for the price I guess you can't complain.

Lumina
09-18-2011, 01:47 PM
I've been wearing Play by CDG for a while (and being told I smell like a candy [lol]), but I haven't worn it lately. I would like to change, but I find it very hard to find another one. I don't like to have many perfumes and change everyday, I never end the bottles. I'd like to find one that looks like me but it's not easy, still searching.
Most Serge Luthens are quite delightful, but can easily become too "heavy".
I also have an all time crush on the cologne Eau Noire by Dior Homme, I don't wear it myself, but I love to smell it on my boyfriend. Maybe I should buy one bottle for myself !

Any idea ? I love jasmina, rose, vanilla or orange flower, something sweet, but fresh at the same time, very light, not heavy. The Rosa one from the CDG red serie is not bad, but I don't know.

Faust
09-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Try Airborne by Chalayan, you might like it.

Lumina
09-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion ! I've checked the composition, it sounds very good, I can't wait to go try and smell it, I'm very curious of the mix between these fresh fragrance like lemon and orange flower with incense.

LustMord
12-18-2011, 03:58 PM
BOTTEGA VENETA....

interessting, new....

But most liked: Cartier- Le baiser de dragon

Dane
12-18-2011, 04:50 PM
BOTTEGA VENETA....

interessting, new....

But most liked: Cartier- Le baiser de dragon

You may want to stock up on Le Baiser...as the rumours are of its discontinuation. Or...you could save yourself some $$$ and buy Old Spice, which isn't miles off.

Also, Bottega Veneta is nice, but hardly a new idea...take a whiff of Mitsouko, Rocha Femme, Diorella, or Jubilation 25 (amongst many others). Still...it's far from terrible and a nice change from your typical fruit floral. :)

Magic1
12-18-2011, 07:54 PM
My girlfriend has been looking for a gardenia perfume for a while. Most are way too sweet. Any suggestions? Is the Chanel one good?

thanks for the advice.

Dane
12-18-2011, 09:14 PM
My girlfriend has been looking for a gardenia perfume for a while. Most are way too sweet. Any suggestions? Is the Chanel one good?

thanks for the advice.

Chanel's is probably the worst you can buy...which is a shame for such an exemplary collection.

Best options:
-Estee Lauder Tuberose Gardenia (parfum is better than EDP)
-Tom Ford's Velvet Gardenia (discontinued, but worth asking)
-Acqua di Parma's Iris Nobile (ignore the name)...I prefer EDT to EDP, but both are good

Another discontinued, but was cheap at the time - Yves Rocher's Pur Desir de Gardenia.

For an alternative...not gardenia, but similar vibe - Manoumalia by Les Nez. Fabulously exotic and lush. This would be my personal choice.

ps - every other perfume labelled "Gardenia" is a sham...all are simply tuberose or less. "Real" gardenia oil is virtually unheard of, which is why no perfumes actually contain it, but I've read that Enfleurage in NYC, who sell oils, have come up with something believable.

Dane
12-27-2011, 05:48 PM
I'd like a suggestion for a perfume - I'm not at all familiar with the whole variety of them, and from what I've had a chance to test, Jil Sander Pure has been my favorite one. Any tips for what I could try?

p.s.
Got recently a sample of the new MMM one and while at first it seemed all right, a bit soapy but still fresh, staying close to skin, after a while I've realized I don't like it at all. Reminds me too much of soap and it's just not exciting.

Agreed that MMM is dull as all get out...but honestly, Pure isn't much different in my book...you can do better (in the sense that it doesn't have much personality). If that's your thing though, I don't judge...give Donna Karan Cashmere Mist a try.

Otherwise, what else do you like...flowers, woods, spices, etc.?

Dane
12-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Not sure if you're near Brussles, but if so, check out this shop: http://www.senteursdailleurs.eu/

Some brands to check out there would be Andre Putman (only the one scent), The Different Company (all are good, but try Osmanthus and De Baschmakoff) and L'Artisan (The Pour Un Ete and Saffran Troublant in particular, but again, none are terrible).

J_J
12-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Chanel's is probably the worst you can buy...which is a shame for such an exemplary collection.

Best options:
-Estee Lauder Tuberose Gardenia (parfum is better than EDP)
-Tom Ford's Velvet Gardenia (discontinued, but worth asking)
-Acqua di Parma's Iris Nobile (ignore the name)...I prefer EDT to EDP, but both are good

Another discontinued, but was cheap at the time - Yves Rocher's Pur Desir de Gardenia.

For an alternative...not gardenia, but similar vibe - Manoumalia by Les Nez. Fabulously exotic and lush. This would be my personal choice.

ps - every other perfume labelled "Gardenia" is a sham...all are simply tuberose or less. "Real" gardenia oil is virtually unheard of, which is why no perfumes actually contain it, but I've read that Enfleurage in NYC, who sell oils, have come up with something believable.

or, if you're ballin', you can try JAR's Jardenia...[thumbup]

Faust
12-28-2011, 07:59 AM
hey thanks, Dane, was hoping for your reply :) would gladly try something more interesting, i've just never had a chance since i rarely go around perfume shops. i don't like sweet perfumes, and i somehow never had a chance to smell spices in an interesting way, so can't say what i think of those. some kind of freshness (in contrast to heaviness) is what i find important.

Maybe you'd like citrusy smells? Anyway, citrus springs to mind when I think of "freshness." Or pine needles.

Dane
12-28-2011, 09:56 AM
or, if you're ballin', you can try JAR's Jardenia...[thumbup]

Even I can't justify this one...although I'd kill for a bottle.

Maybe you'd like citrusy smells? Anyway, citrus springs to mind when I think of "freshness." Or pine needles.

Citrus is a good idea...Bergamote from The Different Company is my personal fav.

Dane
12-28-2011, 10:56 AM
There is no expiry date if properly stored. I have perfumes that are older than my parents and they smell fine.

Light is the biggest enemy...then heat...then dampness/extreme temperature changes (that create condensation).

Ahimsa
12-29-2011, 02:23 AM
I'd like a suggestion for a perfume - I'm not at all familiar with the whole variety of them, and from what I've had a chance to test, Jil Sander Pure has been my favorite one. Any tips for what I could try?

p.s.
Got recently a sample of the new MMM one and while at first it seemed all right, a bit soapy but still fresh, staying close to skin, after a while I've realized I don't like it at all. Reminds me too much of soap and it's just not exciting.

I'm just going to recommend Le Labo (http://www.lelabofragrances.com/) partially because they're entirely vegan, but mostly because they (I think anyway) smell incredible..that and they don't agitate my nose. Made to order and labeled with your name. You can order samples for about $5 a pop.(that's with shipping included in Eco-packaging :) ) They have stores in Paris and Amsterdam if you wanna check it out in person.
They also offer a Bergamote as was recommended by the other helpful fellows above.
Their stuff is most definitely contrasted by the way (Quite unisex). The named scent isn't always easy to detect as they can be surrounded by a plethora of others.

As to attest to what Dane mentioned about shelf life...apparently Lubin just recreated Marie Antoinette's perfume (http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=31214) with the help of old notes and a secretly stored bottle. Some people do refrigerate perfumes to keep them fresher too.

Dane
12-29-2011, 10:55 AM
^ Thanks for this suggestion Ahimsa! I might order some samples to check these ones out :)
Dane, what do you think, given my preferences for fresh, but not overly unisex smells? Worth trying?

I'm quite partial to Bergamote 22 and Iris 39, but the line is worth trying. A few of them are duds, and they're overpriced, but what isn't these days. I mentioned in the boy's thread that they make a bath/massage oil that is reasonably priced and heavily scented, so that's always an option if funds are limited.

Faust
12-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Rilu, since you are in Europe, you should just walk into an L'Artisan Perfumer boutique and try stuff there. So many good scents. Or to Santa Marian Novella - they have a store in Antwerp (not sure if L'AP does, but they might). I agree that Le Labo is overpriced but I also like Bergamote 22.

Faust
12-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Also, in a very new tradition, L'Artisan Perfumer has started to put some scents on sale - so you can get something really affordable and good now that the sales have started.

Lypophrenia
01-03-2012, 11:30 AM
My favorite perfume ever was Yohji from 1996. Sadly I can't find it anymore. Except ebay but I don't trust ebay so I just have this tiny bit left in a bottle and sometimes like to smell it haha
Recently I've been using Diptyque Philosykos.

Faust
01-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I still have and use it! Love the scent.

Dane
01-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Are we talking Yohji Homme? That one was fantastic...most of the others were meh.

Faust
01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Yes, Yohji Homme! Sorry for the confusion.

Dane
01-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I get excited sometimes when I'm at a junky perfume store and a see a Yohji box...but it always ends up being one of the "others". [wall]

It sells for a fortune on ebay now. I should have stocked up when I had the chance, but frankly, it's not my style personally, so I would only be being greedy.

I did, however, stock up on Le Feu d'Issey and various others that are hard-to-find now...glad I did!

kirie
01-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I love the dark tones of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's perfume oils.
they have a sort of dark romanticism in them that's just lovely. The attempt to create a narrative with scent- often based on literature, paintings, or abstract concepts. Some of the scents are hit and miss (f you do order from them I would suggest samplers and then reordering your favourite scents in full bottles).

the two that I always have a supply of are

"Bat"
Dusty amber, grey musk, red orchid, moonflower, night-blooming phlox, stock, honeysuckle, English ivy, toadflax, and purple salvia.

"The Sailor's Den"
Orris, bay rum, palm, coconut meat, oak wood, tobacco, linen, blue lilac, and leather.

I have a tendency to mix Sailor's den with Chanel's Bois des Iles, it takes the scent from veins of Caribbean whorehouse (the coconut can become very strong on certain people) to a victorian era opium den feel.

Dane
01-06-2012, 08:24 PM
You're basically raping you Bois des Iles.

kirie
01-08-2012, 07:07 PM
I was given a small bottle of the perfume oil as a gift and it turns into far too heavy of a sandalwood scent on my skin. The florals completely disappear by 15 minutes and the vanilla is gone after 30 minutes maybe. If I use it by itself I end up smelling like the hemp store in my hometown after about an hour or so.

I find it adds a lovely feminine touch to the other scent however. I should probably clarify that I don't physically mix the two oils, I usually apply sailor's den, wait about 15 minutes and then apply a small amount of bois. you'd just have to smell me, I guess

Dane
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Perfumes smell the same on everyone.

Anyway, do what you want...it's your perfume. You just won't get my approval...which probably doesn't matter much to you anyway.

timber
05-05-2012, 02:29 PM
I've been wearing Un Parfum des Sens et Bois by The Different Company for a few months - it's a very clean cedar, violet and ginger unisex scent that stays close to the skin. It's nice to wear during the day, so I don't go wafting around too much while I'm at work.

I tried a sample of Comme des Garcons x Stephen Jones a few years ago and fell in love with it - the closest I can come to explain the scent is like violets and cold steel...

And lastly, I just got a few samples from Carnival Wax -- I was looking for a smoky unisex, sort of darker perfume, and Black Amber is fantastic. It smells like cedar and smoke, and faintly of leather - a bit like the Comme des Garcons incense line. The bottle is under $100, so I might find myself compelled to pick one up when I'm in New York next month...

theseasonofmist
05-06-2012, 03:52 AM
I have been wearing Amouage Lyric for the past few months. I find it works well on my skin, it lasts all day and I personally like the spiced rose effect that I get - I don't find it too sweet. My ex recommended it to me and I can see that it works well as a unisex fragrance.

I also dabble with Serge Luten's Feminite du Bois from time to time.

I recently sampled By Kilian's Rose Oud and Cruel Intentions, neither seemed to really appeal to me. I want to give Amber Oud a try soon, I just have not gotten around to purchasing a sample.

Verdandi
05-06-2012, 04:37 AM
The Kilian perfume's are a bit too generic for me to justify the price tag. The only one I really liked was Back To Black.
Sweet Redemption is also nice if you like white florals but not it wasn't nice enough to buy it.

Speaking of big white florals; I finally managed to get my hands on CB I hate Perfume's Cradle Of Light. I think it is everything white florals should be plus it has that gorgeous musk underneath it.

rider
05-10-2012, 08:10 AM
has anyone ever smelled comme des garcons Daphne?
I found out it has oudh in it and wonder if this is as smokey/lingering/subtle as i've heard it is?

Dane
05-10-2012, 09:08 AM
has anyone ever smelled comme des garcons Daphne?
I found out it has oudh in it and wonder if this is as smokey/lingering/subtle as i've heard it is?

nothing subtle about it...and if there's oud, it's buried deep beneath the monstrous fruit-loops-tuberose. it's basically the polar opposite of the actual Daphne Guinness...something I'd see Anna Dello Russo wearing. I happen to like it, but it's not for everyone.

if you're looking for a specific oud-recommendation, I can probably help.

rider
05-10-2012, 10:06 AM
wow, thanks for the insight, that was so much more than i was expecting. bold floral wont suit me at all and anything dello russo i run away from, too fruity for my tastes. fruit loops and comme seem odd companions at first (then i remembered this spring show)... I'll take a whiff next time i'm at the comme store.

what else is available with oud essence in the US? sorry for the misspelling above, are there two ways to spell it? thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

Dane
05-10-2012, 10:47 AM
everyone spells it differently it seems - oud, ouhd, aoud, etc. etc.

if you want oud front & centre - the cheapest path is YSL M7. More expensive and a bit raunchier - Le Labo Oud 27. Very expensive but nice - Kilian Pure Oud (the other variations are nice too).

If you want something a bit more subtle, Guerlain's Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum (not the original) is a beautiful composition with a lovely oud note in the drydown. Citrus, leathers, oud, some vanilla...beautiful stuff.

I'm not a big Montale fan, mostly because their line is crowded and impossible to navigate, but they also offer several (hundred) oud variations.

Verdandi
06-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Can anyone recommend some good rose and patchouli fragrances? I was never too fond of these two because rose makes me think of old Lady and I once had a roommate that drowned himself in this goth shop patchoulie stuff and it made me run screaming.

The only rose fragrance I have really liked thus far is Kingdom. I think Rochas Femme and Bal a Versailles also have rose and/or patchoulie somewhere but I cannot really detect them.

Faust
06-17-2012, 05:21 PM
The L'Artisan Perfumer rose perfume is very nice. My girlfriend uses it, so I may be biased.

Dane
06-18-2012, 08:16 AM
The L'Artisan to which Faust refers is Voleur de Rose (they have another rose which is a girly violet-combo...also very good, but not what you're looking for). VdR is heavier on the patchouli than the rose.

The most recent example of a rose-patchouli combo would be Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle. This one is heavier on the rose.

If you want something a bit trashier, Mugler's Angel La Rose is a terrific scent, but is still Angel underneath, which some have a hard time digesting.

rider
06-18-2012, 10:42 AM
hi dane,
i'm curious...what is your impression of surge lutens fragrances?
any favorites?
i had some samples sent to me of:
ambre sultan
chergui
datora noir

so far the chergui is my favorite.

mrbeuys
06-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Perfumes smell the same on everyone.

Huh? Really?

rider
06-18-2012, 12:17 PM
funny, i just read that too. i would have thought otherwise based on skin chemistry but now that dane said it, i'm inclined to believe it.

Verdandi
06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
The L'Artisan to which Faust refers is Voleur de Rose (they have another rose which is a girly violet-combo...also very good, but not what you're looking for). VdR is heavier on the patchouli than the rose.

The most recent example of a rose-patchouli combo would be Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle. This one is heavier on the rose.

If you want something a bit trashier, Mugler's Angel La Rose is a terrific scent, but is still Angel underneath, which some have a hard time digesting.

Thank you Dane!
I'll make sure to try these.
I can only stomach Angel in small doses but trashy sounds good to me. I am an avid lover of trashy (not the bubblegum trash kind), big, loud and slightly 'dirty' perfumes.

Regarding the 'perfumes smell the same on everyone': I think synthetic perfumes do. If I remember it right the whole 'every perfume turns out to be something unique on different persons' was some huge marketing fraud when Chanel Number 5 was released to make the perfume more alluring to women.

Dane
06-19-2012, 09:53 AM
hi dane,
i'm curious...what is your impression of surge lutens fragrances?
any favorites?
i had some samples sent to me of:
ambre sultan
chergui
datora noir

so far the chergui is my favorite.

they're terrific, yet challenging to wear. agreed that Chergui is a stand-out. I also like Vetiver Oriental, Tubereuse Criminelle, and Bois de Violette, which all happen to be "limited editions", so may not be available at all outlets.

Huh? Really?

Unless you have your own overpowering smell (to the extent that it will overwhelm a perfume), yes. All this "skin chemistry" talk is bullshit.

No one has really studied this scientifically (that I'm aware of), so it's all opinion...but think about it, what would contribute to a fragrance smelling differently? An existing smell; heat (making the progression of a fragrance faster or slower); and oils (also making the progression vary).

Thank you Dane!
I'll make sure to try these.
I can only stomach Angel in small doses but trashy sounds good to me. I am an avid lover of trashy (not the bubblegum trash kind), big, loud and slightly 'dirty' perfumes.

Regarding the 'perfumes smell the same on everyone': I think synthetic perfumes do. If I remember it right the whole 'every perfume turns out to be something unique on different persons' was some huge marketing fraud when Chanel Number 5 was released to make the perfume more alluring to women.

Give the Angel Rose a shot...I think you can still find samples for sale on ebay for not much money. A full bottle probably won't cost too much either if you just want to take the chance.

re: synthetic perfumes - all perfumes are synthetic...even the natural ones use "isolates", ie - linalool is found in nature, as a component of certain plants, but it doesn't exist in isolation, so it would be synthetically produced. Some natural perfumes are the real thing, but most just throw the term around for marketing, as you said.

Anyway, of course things smell differently on different people in the sense that we all perceive things differently, but I refuse to get caught up in the concept as a general rule. It's something salespeople tell you so that they don't insult you or the fragrance when you say you don't like it.

SA: "Try this one, it's new and fresh and very popular"
Me: "it smells like crotch"
SA: "oh dear, well, it certainly smells differently on you, must be your skin chemistry, let's try something else"
Me: "I like the smell of crotch...I'll take it".

fin

rider
06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
dane, thanks to the wealth of knowledge you have taken the time to post, i decided to blindly try the Bois de Violette. I read a short summary about its components and found a bottle from a seller on ebay that donates to animal shelters so it was worth chancing. i am so glad i did...it starts soft, stays that way, and has a woody, forest freshness to it, not sweet or powdery at all, but earthy. i might even try to layer it with the chergui for a bolder smell. [thumbup]

Dane
06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
dane, thanks to the wealth of knowledge you have taken the time to post, i decided to blindly try the Bois de Violette. I read a short summary about its components and found a bottle from a seller on ebay that donates to animal shelters so it was worth chancing. i am so glad i did...it starts soft, stays that way, and has a woody, forest freshness to it, not sweet or powdery at all, but earthy. i might even try to layer it with the chergui for a bolder smell. [thumbup]

You're very welcome. I've bought from that same seller several times...I like the cause (even if some of the stuff could be had a tad cheaper).

BdV is a strange beast. It's based on Feminite du Bois, and old Shiseido scent now in the Lutens line. The original is more floral than BdV, and not as balanced. Dior's Dolce Vita is (or once was) also very similar (same perfumer)....alas, none of them captured what the dusty violet in BdV manages to achieve.

J_J
07-02-2012, 02:04 PM
got a sample of HdP 1740 Marquis de Sade... what a gorgeous perfume. Makes me smell like sweet wine dregs.

Dane
07-02-2012, 06:45 PM
got a sample of HdP 1740 Marquis de Sade... what a gorgeous perfume. Makes me smell like sweet wine dregs.

I find it smells like prune juice. I kinda like that though.

Verdandi
07-26-2012, 10:20 AM
I came across a bottle of CDG Sticky Cake and while I liked how it started out (not toothache inducing sweet but still somewhat sweet), but it turned into something that smells a lot like men's cologne after a while. I looked up what's supposed to be in there and I suspect it is the Iris accord, which is weird because I usually like Iris.

Does anyone know if there is a fragrance with similar notes (just without the guy cologne effect) out there?

Dane
07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
I came across a bottle of CDG Sticky Cake and while I liked how it started out (not toothache inducing sweet but still somewhat sweet), but it turned into something that smells a lot like men's cologne after a while. I looked up what's supposed to be in there and I suspect it is the Iris accord, which is weird because I usually like Iris.

Does anyone know if there is a fragrance with similar notes (just without the guy cologne effect) out there?

Where did you find the Sticky Cake? I've been looking for it for ages!

It's musk that makes it feel masculine. Other similar things you can try:
-Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur
-Bois d'Argent by Dior (not easy to find)
-Iris by Odori

Verdandi
07-26-2012, 11:03 AM
I found it at a thrift shop and I was so happy at first since it is the only one from the Sweet series I had not tried.

Musk? Really? That's even more weird, I love musk (big fan of MKK and Musc Ravageur and those don't smell like men to me at all). Alas must be the combination then, I really wanted to like it but it just smells too masculine to me after a while.

But thanks a lot for your recommendations, Dane!

By the way, do you happen to know anything about the new Serge Gardenia fragrance? I thought it would be out by now.

Dane
07-26-2012, 11:29 AM
I found it at a thrift shop and I was so happy at first since it is the only one from the Sweet series I had not tried.

Musk? Really? That's even more weird, I love musk (big fan of MKK and Musc Ravageur and those don't smell like men to me at all). Alas must be the combination then, I really wanted to like it but it just smells too masculine to me after a while.

But thanks a lot for your recommendations, Dane!

By the way, do you happen to know anything about the new Serge Gardenia fragrance? I thought it would be out by now.

Musk is only an educated guess...there are literally hundreds of them, so it's hard to know which you're smelling.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Send me your Sticky Cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know much about the new SL yet. They only seem to be promoting the sandalwood at the moment. Gardenia is a favourite of mine, so I'm anxiously awaiting it as well, although I doubt it could trump TF Velvet Gardenia.

rider
07-26-2012, 12:12 PM
SL Gardenia OMG [wub] I will have to try that because i adore Chanel Gardenia and we have a plant outside that is pure heaven and in full bloom right now.

please lmk when its released.

J_J
07-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Anyone tried Hilde Soliani's perfumes?

Some are gimmicky (remind me of costly Demeter perfumes) but I must say Dolcissssimo ended up smelling wonderful on my skin.

Dane
07-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Anyone tried Hilde Soliani's perfumes?

Some are gimmicky (remind me of costly Demeter perfumes) but I must say Dolcissssimo ended up smelling wonderful on my skin.

You hit the nail on the head..."smells" more than perfumes. I've not smelled them all though. Not far from that weirdo CB I Hate Perfume stuff...a few great scents, the rest, strange smells.

I always wonder why some perfumes don't spend more time perfecting a good idea, rather than bottling-up every single idea they have.

Verdandi
07-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Don't know much about the new SL yet. They only seem to be promoting the sandalwood at the moment. Gardenia is a favourite of mine, so I'm anxiously awaiting it as well, although I doubt it could trump TF Velvet Gardenia.

I tried the Sandalwood and it's nice. I wouldn't buy a full bottle but I like the chocolate.
I am so excited for the SL gardenia, the copy sounds so promising. I'm even thinking of just ordering it as soon as it becomes available at the web store. Then again, copies always sound good and the last time I fell for it I ended up with De Profundis which is meh.

Dane
07-27-2012, 09:13 AM
I tried the Sandalwood and it's nice. I wouldn't buy a full bottle but I like the chocolate.
I am so excited for the SL gardenia, the copy sounds so promising. I'm even thinking of just ordering it as soon as it becomes available at the web store. Then again, copies always sound good and the last time I fell for it I ended up with De Profundis which is meh.

SL is too hit-or-miss for me...I'll never buy blind.

ps - was reading old review of Sticky Cake and forgot about the prominent incense/myrrh note...maybe that was turning you off?

Verdandi
07-28-2012, 09:07 AM
SL is too hit-or-miss for me...I'll never buy blind.

ps - was reading old review of Sticky Cake and forgot about the prominent incense/myrrh note...maybe that was turning you off?

Hit-or-miss, definetley. His latest offerings ddn't really do it for me (except Serge Noire but that might be because it smells like church to me).

I read in a review for the sticky cake that is smelled like church, that's why I was so excited in the first place. Still, all I get after a while is men cologne. I guess the Sticky Cake and I just weren't meant to be.

May I ask your opinion on the Heremessence line? The only one I've tried is the Amber and I loved it. Are the other ones worth checking out?

Dane
07-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Hit-or-miss, definetley. His latest offerings ddn't really do it for me (except Serge Noire but that might be because it smells like church to me).

I read in a review for the sticky cake that is smelled like church, that's why I was so excited in the first place. Still, all I get after a while is men cologne. I guess the Sticky Cake and I just weren't meant to be.

May I ask your opinion on the Heremessence line? The only one I've tried is the Amber and I loved it. Are the other ones worth checking out?

It's a decent line...overpriced, but good. Osmanthe Yunnan is the best, but still not as good as The Different Company's Osmanthus. The rose one is a rework of In Love Again (YSL)...grapefruit/rose. The pepper is nice, but simple. My fav is the licorice/lavender, but it's not for everyone. The vanilla is excellent, but you have to like lilies.

The newest one, sandal something or other, is excellent...fruity/lactonic woods. I would buy if it weren't for the pricetag. Also, it doesn't smell anything like sandalwood.

It's nice they're sold in travel sets though, and you can mix and match.

galia
07-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Unless you have your own overpowering smell (to the extent that it will overwhelm a perfume), yes. All this "skin chemistry" talk is bullshit.

No one has really studied this scientifically (that I'm aware of), so it's all opinion...but think about it, what would contribute to a fragrance smelling differently? An existing smell; heat (making the progression of a fragrance faster or slower); and oils (also making the progression vary).

people have very different natural smells (I don't know about women so much, but it's very obvious in men), so I would imagine it could change the way a fragrance acts. I don't see how that sounds like bull. but maybe it's not perceptible for most people, kind of like slight variations in sound quality that hi-fi geeks pretend to hear (or maybe they do)

Dane
07-30-2012, 11:04 AM
people have very different natural smells (I don't know about women so much, but it's very obvious in men), so I would imagine it could change the way a fragrance acts. I don't see how that sounds like bull. but maybe it's not perceptible for most people, kind of like slight variations in sound quality that hi-fi geeks pretend to hear (or maybe they do)

Whatever natural smell someone has would be covered by any sort of perfume...that's the point of perfume! 99% of the time (in my opinion), the only reason a perfume smells different on you than on me is due to the other cosmetic products we use, or if there is an underlying hygiene reason.

Random example - I have a friend in the perfume industry who would always have me smell her latest drafts on her skin and on mine, and mine would always smell differently because of the cocoa butter lotion she used. She then switched to a "scent free" version of the lotion, but the issue did not resolve itself. Turned out her scent-free lotion was easily discernible to my nose.

And frankly, boys are stinkier than girls...that stink sometimes shines through. This has nothing to do with skin chemistry...it has to do with the fact that I sweat more than you do, etc.

Skin chemistry is a marketing term used to excuse you from liking a perfume without insulting the product.

galia
07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm not saying that the skin is altering the perfume. But natural BO + scent = something different than just the scent. therefore if there is a variety of natural BO, the combinations will also smell different from one another. am I not getting something here?

Dane
07-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm not saying that the skin is altering the perfume. But natural BO + scent = something different than just the scent. therefore if there is a variety of natural BO, the combinations will also smell different from one another. am I not getting something here?

You are correct...but unless that natural BO is so strong that it can overpower a perfume, it shouldn't be a consideration in selecting a scent for yourself....using the skin chemistry excuse is just how department stores excuse themselves for selling shit products.

Ladidums
10-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Anyone has a good recommendation for something that is like Apres L'Ondee before the reformulation? I know a lot of people say L'heure Bleue but that to me smells like insecticide! Nothing like Apres L'Ondee at all!

Dane
10-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Anyone has a good recommendation for something that is like Apres L'Ondee before the reformulation? I know a lot of people say L'heure Bleue but that to me smells like insecticide! Nothing like Apres L'Ondee at all!

Nothing will smell just like it...what aspects of it do you like? Malle's L'Eau d'Hiver is in the same family, worth trying either way.

L'Heure Bleue is based on 3 elements - violet/iris accord, orange blossom accord, and the vanilla base. It also has prominent heliotrope (almond) and anisic aspects. Apres l'Ondee shares the violet/iris, heliotrope and anise, but lacks LHB's baroque base and bright orange blossom. You could say ALO is a slice of LHB.

Ladidums
10-23-2012, 01:57 PM
I like that, for the slightest moment, it smells like rain, wet grass and flowers before turning a little powdery then disappearing altogether. Now it's just all powder ):

But I think more than anything it's a feeling when smelling it. I'm just not good at describing it at all.

Dane
10-23-2012, 02:11 PM
I like that, for the slightest moment, it smells like rain, wet grass and flowers before turning a little powdery then disappearing altogether. Now it's just all powder ):

But I think more than anything it's a feeling when smelling it. I'm just not good at describing it at all.

Understood. Also try Malle (coincidentally) En Passant, which replicates that dewy feeling.

In another vein (so not at all similar), but still "wet" smelling, Le Labo's Iris 39 is lovely.

Fair warning - if you seek out vintage Apres l'Ondee, you'll pay dearly. Ditto for the rare parfum (which smells quite close to the EDT frankly). Also, the 90's version of the EDT was (imo) inferior to today's version, which is more iris-prominent (because one producer has figured out a way of maturing iris root much more quickly, thereby reducing the price significantly).

Ladidums
10-23-2012, 02:22 PM
I know what you mean about vintage ALO prices. I've been stalking eBay for ages but I'm just not prepared to spend that much on something I can't try first.

Interesting that you mention the iris, I think the iris notes might be what's making it all powdery. There's significantly less "wet" and "green" in there. Might it be the heliotrope is missing after the reformulations. It's less demure and just plain old lady to me now.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll try them all and see where this goes.

Dane
10-23-2012, 02:32 PM
I know what you mean about vintage ALO prices. I've been stalking eBay for ages but I'm just not prepared to spend that much on something I can't try first.

Interesting that you mention the iris, I think the iris notes might be what's making it all powdery. There's significantly less "wet" and "green" in there. Might it be the heliotrope is missing after the reformulations. It's less demure and just plain old lady to me now.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll try them all and see where this goes.

Heliotropin has been heavily restricted as of late, so that tones down the almond-qualities. Iris does have a powdery aspect, so that may be what's bothering you.

Ladidums
01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Finally got to try both En Passant and Iris 39. Both are good scents.
Haven't been able to try the L'Eau d'Hiver since the tester ran out.
To me, Iris 39 was more "watery" than both En Passant and ALO. The picture that immediately came to mind was the Ophelia Painting by John Everette Millais. Wet, flowery and a little cold/dead.

I can't remember much of En Passant but I thought it was significantly more "skin like" than Iris 39 which seemed a little too far removed sometimes.

The most skin like in descending order: ALO, EP and I39. Still prefer ALO though.

Has anyone tried Jo Malone Orange blossoms or Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Orange?

Btw, how do you all try scents? I spray it on the tester strips and walk around for a bit. With the exception of ALO, most top notes don't really do it for me. I feel like I'm punched in the face. They make my nose itch and stuffy. Is that normal?

Dane
01-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Finally got to try both En Passant and Iris 39. Both are good scents.
Haven't been able to try the L'Eau d'Hiver since the tester ran out.
To me, Iris 39 was more "watery" than both En Passant and ALO. The picture that immediately came to mind was the Ophelia Painting by John Everette Millais. Wet, flowery and a little cold/dead.

I can't remember much of En Passant but I thought it was significantly more "skin like" than Iris 39 which seemed a little too far removed sometimes.

The most skin like in descending order: ALO, EP and I39. Still prefer ALO though.

Has anyone tried Jo Malone Orange blossoms or Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Orange?

Btw, how do you all try scents? I spray it on the tester strips and walk around for a bit. With the exception of ALO, most top notes don't really do it for me. I feel like I'm punched in the face. They make my nose itch and stuffy. Is that normal?

I spray the back of my hand. If you want to bypass the top notes faster, spray the palm of your hand.

I'm not a huge orange blossom fan, but JM's is decent. SL's is very syrupy.

ahn
01-04-2013, 05:38 AM
I've been wearing Jo Malone's Oud and Bergamot for about a year but have just recently fallen in love with Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. It's technically a unisex fragrance but I know it's typically thought of as quite masculine (and I've only even known men to wear it) but I think I can pull it off because the dry down is quite sweet. I also love the harsh leathery smoke scent when it's first sprayed but it never lasts long on my skin. The entire scent is just musky, dark and kind of brooding which I adore. I really enjoy wearing it.

I just have to scrounge up the dollars to buy it since it's so expensive in Australia...

J_J
01-04-2013, 08:38 AM
may be a long shot but does anyone want to sell me a decant of FM Angeliques Sous La Pluie?
I had it sprayed on my wrist and I loved it (although extremely fleeting). The SA didn't have any samples to give me, I would like to test it for awhile before committing to a full bottle.

Dane
01-04-2013, 09:00 AM
I've been wearing Jo Malone's Oud and Bergamot for about a year but have just recently fallen in love with Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. It's technically a unisex fragrance but I know it's typically thought of as quite masculine (and I've only even known men to wear it) but I think I can pull it off because the dry down is quite sweet. I also love the harsh leathery smoke scent when it's first sprayed but it never lasts long on my skin. The entire scent is just musky, dark and kind of brooding which I adore. I really enjoy wearing it.

I just have to scrounge up the dollars to buy it since it's so expensive in Australia...

Fragrance is genderless...glad to hear you wear what you like. I wish men were more willing to do this. As with clothing, girls are more brave when it comes to ignoring who something is intended for.

may be a long shot but does anyone want to sell me a decant of FM Angeliques Sous La Pluie?
I had it sprayed on my wrist and I loved it (although extremely fleeting). The SA didn't have any samples to give me, I would like to test it for awhile before committing to a full bottle.

There's a website called Crystal Flacon where people sell decants. Worth looking.

Ladidums
01-05-2013, 04:06 AM
I agree with genderless fragrances. Wear what you like!

What do you like in your fragrance and why?

ahn
01-06-2013, 07:34 PM
I agree with genderless fragrances. Wear what you like!

What do you like in your fragrance and why?

I used to wear a lot of fruity, fresh scents, high in citrus, grapefruit, etc. One day though I just felt that these scents no longer communicated my style - they were too youthful, pretty, clean and uncomplicated.

I wanted an older, darker, moodier and more mysterious fragrance. So now I do tend to go for fragrances with woods, leathers, and if there's a sweetness, it should be a dark sweetness. Which is probably why I like Tuscan Leather so much. It's smokey (mysterious), leathery (moody) but also sweet with it's raspberry tones - it's a dark sweet, dense and smooth.

I don't like Oud Wood as much as I thought I would, it's too spicy. I don't like spice on me.

I'm really keen to try other oud/leather/wood based fragrances, I think I'll have to buy some samples/decants online.

For years I've been obsessed with finding a signature scent. Maybe one for summer and another for winter. The hunt continues... :)

coccodrillo
01-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Lately I have a preference for woody, green, incense and older "classics" like - Joy, Mitsuoko, Bal a Versaille, Caleche, Must de Cartier, Caron Pour Un Homme all before reformulation.

Fruity floral aren't in my collection - but am finding the more I sniff and sample there are scents I like regardless of what's listed in the ingredients or gender "label".

I enjoy using perfume to reflect my mood and to transport me - sometimes I need a vacation in a bottle.[wub]

Verdandi
01-14-2013, 02:41 AM
I am looking into buying a perfume as a gift for a friend.
She told me she likes "orange blossoms with honey" and "cozy vanilla fragrances". However, she did not like my Serges (both, the vanilla and the orange blossom one) and wasn't too fond of APOM either. Any other recommendations (from Dane or others)?

Dane
01-14-2013, 07:36 AM
She might prefer a simple orange blossom then. 7 Virtues makes a decent one, as does Jo Malone. For something a bit more complex, Un Parfum d'Ailleurs et Fleurs by The Different Company.

Cozy vanilla, maybe Kenzo Amour? I'm not good with vanillas.

Coroner
01-14-2013, 08:11 AM
How about Parfums MDCI- Le Rivage des Syrtes? It's unisex but it gravitates more towards feminine side but I wear it too .... I usually blend it with something darker TFPB Tuscan Leather, Puredistance M, CCC Man

Notes -
sweet orange essence, pineapple, galbanum, ylang ylang, tuberose, orange blossom absolute, incense, ambergris, vanilla, musk

IMO, all MDCI compostions are very well done with high quality ingredients.... but, I find MDCI bottles a bit tacky with tassels and what not, lol.

Dane
01-14-2013, 08:33 AM
They do make beautiful stuff...a tad pricey for a gift though (well, depending on the recipient of course).

Coroner
01-14-2013, 10:26 AM
If MDCI price is a concern, then, I would like to suggest Carthusia Via Camerelle. Very luminous, bright, linear, and just a happy feeling EDT. In a traditional sense.... leans more towards feminine side.

The bright top notes of bergamot, lemon and bitter orange are set against the warm herbaceous backdrop of marjoram.

Again, very well done compositions with top notch ingredients and at a very reasonable cost.

My personal favorite from the house of Carthusia is 1681. Similar to Andy Warhol Silver Factory sans metallic note.

Dane
01-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Are we still talking about orange blossom or creamy vanilla?

J_J
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
I am looking into buying a perfume as a gift for a friend.
She told me she likes "orange blossoms with honey" and "cozy vanilla fragrances". However, she did not like my Serges (both, the vanilla and the orange blossom one) and wasn't too fond of APOM either. Any other recommendations (from Dane or others)?

Serge's Jeaux de Peau is very cozy, although it's a love-it-or-hate-it type frag.

Ladidums
01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Any ethereal your skin but better scents to recommend?

Dane
01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Any ethereal your skin but better scents to recommend?

Lots! Other preferences? Fruit/floral/spice/wood, etc.?

Ladidums
01-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Any and everything. I want to try them all. :)

Dane
01-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Masks are the obvious first choice because they already smell like skin. Lutens' Clair de Musc, Goutal Musc Nomade, Santa Maria Novella Muschio, L'Artisan Mire et Musc.

For something more spring-like, Chanel's 28 La Pausa (based on iris) or Prada's Infusion d'Iris.

Spicy - L'Arrisan's Safran Troublant.

Floral - Hermes Caleche Delicat.

Baby bum - Guerlain Jicky (EDT).

Woodsy - Guerlain Vol de Nuit (again in EDT)

Ladidums
01-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Thanks Dane. Will try these first.

Do you sometimes wonder what perfume movie characters would wear?

Dane
01-20-2013, 08:31 AM
not really

Verdandi
01-20-2013, 09:41 AM
I son't know if it qualifies as a "skin scent" but to me L’Antimatière by LesNez has this salty, been-in-the-sun-too-long smell. Another one would be L'eau d'hiver by Malle.

And thank you for all the orange blossom suggestions!

Ladidums
01-21-2013, 02:04 AM
I think I might like floral scents best and spicy/orientals least.

The Chanel 28 smells a little like Apres L'ondee light with even less staying power. But it is very pretty!

Any more recommendations? Something that is by turns childlike, ethereal, innocent and hedonistic, sensual, even lewd.

I'm wondering if it's possible to do sensual without the civet or other typical animalistic "armpit" scents.

Also if it's possible for scents to stay close to the skin but last a long time?

Dane
01-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Sounds like musks are for you. I still think Musc Nomade would be ideal. Another idea is S-ex by S-perfume. It's a bizarre fresh-leather-musk with a strange acetone topnote. S-perfume also makes a self-titled scent that may fit.

Basically what you're looking for is Helmut Lang. Unfortunately it's not easy/cheap to come by.

safeword123
02-07-2013, 08:26 PM
So dries collaborated with Frédéric Malle to create his first perfume, here's a little passage I came across on NYT. I think it is unisex?

Now the two have created a scent together for the designer, with the expertise of the perfumer Bruno Jovanovic. Frédéric has the idea of creating a special collection of scents, in addition to his regular line. The Dries fragrance smells mildly of sandalwood and vanilla (a foodie reference to Belgium treats). “The thing to avoid with Dries was the trap of flowers,” Frederic said. At his home outside Antwerp, Dries has a large garden. Well, too easy for a scent. The perfume will be available in a week or so.

Has anyone tried it? Would love to hear your experience![smile]

Oh, I was gonna post this under Designers and their work, but couldn't find a dedicated thread for DvN.[huh]

8bpc
02-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I think I might like floral scents best and spicy/orientals least.

The Chanel 28 smells a little like Apres L'ondee light with even less staying power. But it is very pretty!

Any more recommendations? Something that is by turns childlike, ethereal, innocent and hedonistic, sensual, even lewd.

I'm wondering if it's possible to do sensual without the civet or other typical animalistic "armpit" scents.

Also if it's possible for scents to stay close to the skin but last a long time?

Reading the description of what you are looking for the first fragrance that came to mind was Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior. I could see the vanilla in the base producing a childlike and innocent feeling, while the musk blended with the other notes, especially the bitter almond, yielding to a hedonistic, sensual, even lewd feeling. The fragrance has great longevity.

Ladidums
02-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Dane: managed to try a little bit of Helmet Lang yesterday. You are right. That is gorgeous. Unfortunately, it was the salesgirl's own private collection. She let me dabbed a little on the back of my hands and that was it ):

So, I was a little wonky in the head yesterday and got a full bottle of un bois vanille by serge lutens (the same sales girl was saying that I'm going to love it, and after the helmet lang, i felt indebted) even though I don't like gourmand. I still don't like the sweet syrupy coconut mess it can get into most of the time. But on the occasion where the sandalwood comes in strong with a bit of the vanilla and maybe musk, I think this is my skin but better scent.

Datura Noir and Fleur d'Oranger, not particularly pleasant or unpleasant. FDO is less pleasant than DN so why do I have my nose stuck on the tester all night inhaling and inhaling?

DO NOT LIKE:
Musc Ravager. <-- what the %*^# BO punched me in the face.

Ladidums
02-14-2013, 08:41 AM
8bpc: I havent tried that yet. What concentration would that be in? Although I've tried the original poison at sephora store, on a tester, and it was on the verge of giving me a headache. But then again, sephora's fragrance section tends to have that effect.

Dane
02-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Now see if you can find some Santa Maria Novella Muschio to try...closest thing you can get to the discontinued HL.

Un Bois Vanille is good for what it is...it does have a syrupy side to it, but that's not what bothers me about it personally (I won't tell you what does, for fear it will ruin it).

Lutens' florals in the export line are largely unimaginative. I happen to like Fleurs de Citronnier (which is more musk than floral), and Tubereuse Criminelle, now that it's been added to the line, but that's about it.

Ladidums
02-14-2013, 10:21 PM
You know saying that you can't tell me what it is pretty much guarantees that I need to know what it is right?

So, what is it? What is the thing that bothers you about UBV?

Dane
02-15-2013, 07:55 AM
Just that the drydown has a bit of that Vanilla Bounce thing happening...the musk really bothers me. The top/middle are all warm, roasted coffee, vanilla & woods...the drydown is basically fabric softener.

Ladidums
02-17-2013, 08:14 PM
I've been trying to find the fabric softener scent you're talking about but I've been brought up on fabric softener and smell nothing! For me, it's like coconut mess, coconut mess, coconut mess, brilliance!, coconut mess, coconut mess, sweet coconut cakey mess, poof. Nothing.

darkbydesign
02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
DO NOT LIKE:
Musc Ravager. <-- what the %*^# BO punched me in the face.

^^^ I'm glad I'm not the only person to think this.

I had a bottle of this that I bought online because it was my first FM EdP purchase and the scent had such high praise. Then I tried it and thought exactly this and had to sell it on Ebay. MR and lipstick rose are the only two FM scents that I just can't get into.

Ladidums
02-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Although I've been informed that the OIL rather than the EDP is what I'm truly looking for since it's more nuanced and less "shrieky". Having said that, I can't imagine I'd like nuanced BO much more than one that simply just slaps me around. BO is BO is BO.

8bpc
02-17-2013, 10:16 PM
8bpc: I havent tried that yet. What concentration would that be in? Although I've tried the original poison at sephora store, on a tester, and it was on the verge of giving me a headache. But then again, sephora's fragrance section tends to have that effect.

I enjoy more niche fragrances than designer, but there are some great designer fragrances. HP is an Eau de Toilette so it should present itself differently than an Eau de Parfum. However, your more recent post about disliking gourmand fragrances makes me think you may dislike HP. Fragrance enjoyment is so subjective it can be difficult to make suggestions without really knowing a person. Please sample HP when you have the opportunity and let me know if it hits anywhere near the description you provided earlier.

Lutens' florals in the export line are largely unimaginative. I happen to like Fleurs de Citronnier (which is more musk than floral), and Tubereuse Criminelle, now that it's been added to the line, but that's about it.

The menthol opening of Tubereuse Criminelle is very interesting, but the dry down left me disappointed.

lionlimb
03-16-2013, 09:05 AM
For years I just wore straight Rose Otto, mixed with a bit of Frankincense in the winter and Bergamot in the summer. I'm trying to move into more complex scents, but not having the best luck. I picked up a dab of By Kilian Rose Oud, but to my nose it has an intense powdery sweetness. I'm not a fan of Patchouli, which I suppose cuts the sweetness of many "dark" rose perfumes, and I assume that many musk-based scents would read too sweet to me. Anyone got recommendations?

sarahdelrey
03-19-2013, 04:18 AM
I use Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur..do you know this label?
I love its fragrances!!

eaglewood
03-19-2013, 07:12 PM
A good rose otto is hard to beat as a scent. It is already complex and has elements from top notes to base notes. You could try different rose oils. For example I have some Indian rose oil that is not at all sweet, emphasising the vegetable side of rose.
Mixing rose with a quality sandalwood is simple and the results are beautiful.
Also if you like rose with bergamot try it with a good neroli that is amazing. If you are interested in the esoteric aspects of scent the vibrational level of that combination is very interesting.
Just another thought you might try a really good Omani Hojari frankincense oil as it will give you the citrus top notes as well as some of the spice.

Verdandi
04-09-2013, 08:32 AM
I finally had time to try all the samples I ordered while I was on vacation.
Since Dane speaks so highly of the S - Perfumes line this was on top of my list. I somehow expected S -EX to be really raunchy, maybe I was mislead by the name and the promise of leather. It turned out to be quite the opposite. It strikes me as a rather cold scent that almost has a certain metallic quality to it and I love that it stays close to the skin. I would love to own a full bottle; does anyone know if it is available in Europe? I am not quite ready to suck it up and pay the 40 $ shipping at Luckyscent.

Next was 100% Love. This turned out to be the first fragrance that made me recoil in horror. It's attack of the 50 foot woman and she is covered in chocolate and berry sauce. My first reaction was to run to the bathroom as fast as possible and scrub it off. I gave it another hour and it only got worse. It is aweful and yet quite fascinating. Not for me, at all.

Otherwise I finally aquired a bottle of La Femme Bleue. I had a decant before and finally spotted a bottle while buying neckties for my father at Armani. I adore this scent it is so soft and beautiful.

Dane
04-09-2013, 10:16 AM
S-ex is a strange creature...musks for some can be soapy, while someone else finds them raunchy. I find S-ex to almost be in between, it has a forward "Sharpie" note (like, the marker), some fruit, but also some leathery rawness.

The distribution for S-Perfume is rather bizarre. At one point, another company called Shaping Room was making them, and then A Lab On Fire, now I have no clue where to buy them.

As for 100% Love...well, it's love or hate. No one can deny that it's interesting!

galia
04-09-2013, 05:36 PM
I've been wearing Sa Majesté La Rose. Might be the onely fragrance I actually enjoy on me. I think I'll buy a whole bottle, my sample is empty and I miss it. I'll keep Fleur d'Oranger for heat-wave situations

Castor
04-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Musc Ravageur is more of a comfort oriental vanilla spice to me. I don't get much funk or musk really--sort of smells like Coca Cola, quite sweet and generally easier to wear than the name suggests. It was one of my first niche perfume purchases and it doesn't get much wear anymore, when I'm in that mood I prefer Chanel Coromandel.

kobito
06-10-2013, 03:10 PM
bought a new perfume at annick goutal...it's called "petite cherie".. it smell really fresh and nice..however it is too light and not really long lasting... abit disappointed .. i'll try to use it during winter time

Faust
06-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Ten years ago this was the perfume I gave to every girl I dated, haha. That and Bulgari Black. I still miss that one.

Bson
06-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Kobito--- I love petit cherie... It lasts hours on one of my friends, even lingers on their clothes for days, but when I sampled it myself I found it went away much faster! I wonder...! Maybe winter is better

kobito
06-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Yes!! this happened on my friend as well!!! It last pretty long on her, however not me. i thought it's juz me n my own problem!! lucky now i found i'm not the only one [tongue]
yeah try it!! tho the scent seems not really match with winter weather [cry]

Kobito--- I love petit cherie... It lasts hours on one of my friends, even lingers on their clothes for days, but when I sampled it myself I found it went away much faster! I wonder...! Maybe winter is better

Bson
06-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Yes!! this happened on my friend as well!!! It last pretty long on her, however not me. i thought it's juz me n my own problem!! lucky now i found i'm not the only one [tongue]
yeah try it!! tho the scent seems not really match with winter weather [cry]

Aw haha yeah, that's right! Maybe we just need to do 4-5 sprays instead [lol]

rider
07-17-2013, 12:14 PM
has anyone tried la labo ylang 49? which serge lutens does it most compare too (because i'm most familiar with those) and is it lasting?

lionlimb
08-16-2013, 01:46 PM
While the Rose Oud grew on me a bit over time, I've actually started wearing + loving Chanel Égoïste (NOT Platinum).

I'd still like a bit more of a rose edge, though, so I was wondering if anyone had experience with Le Labo toiletries -- I was thinking of layering the Égoïste over a soap or lotion in Rose 31. Any thoughts? Is that a heresy / desecration of a classic scent?

severin
08-17-2013, 11:50 AM
I'd still like a bit more of a rose edge, though, so I was wondering if anyone had experience with Le Labo toiletries -- I was thinking of layering the Égoïste over a soap or lotion in Rose 31. Any thoughts? Is that a heresy / desecration of a classic scent?

i fell into having a bottle of both le labo rose 31 bodywash and lotion and i'm pretty obsessed. i've never been into rose much, and this scent was a full on revelation for me. it's not a typical rose though, it's earthier and not as sweet. i really don't have the ability/knowledge to discuss scents or guide you in any way, but i just wanted to give my [thumbup][heart][wub]

Shifts
08-20-2013, 02:15 AM
While the Rose Oud grew on me a bit over time, I've actually started wearing + loving Chanel Égoïste (NOT Platinum).

Égoïste is a magical fragrance – especially on women for some reason. I remember smelling it on a young woman on my way to work one day and just had to stop in my tracks. So amazing.

I've also smelled it on an old, really well-dressed man just outside my office and reacted pretty much the same way. Well, not quite the same way, but it resonated so well with the persona he delivered. I envied him.

fadetogrey
11-07-2013, 11:49 PM
This is not really women-specific, but can anyone direct me to somewhere that had descriptions of mad et len's scents (specifically candles) I've seen a few of them in person but can't remember which ones I liked. I'm not a scent expert so I can't go just by the name, and of course I don't live close to anywhere that sells them.

Faust
11-08-2013, 08:50 AM
You loved all of them. I know this because I do.

fadetogrey
11-08-2013, 05:35 PM
You loved all of them. I know this because I do.

Haha, I wish it was that easy! I'm pretty obsessed with their packaging, but I'm curious about some of the scents I've seen online and not in person yet, like rose du 8 mai (obviously a rose scent, but hoping it's a bit different than straight up rose) Somebody needs to invent a scent replicator for online perfume and candle buying purposes... "smell-o-gram". Or I just need to move to a better city. Not sure which one is more difficult.

Dorje
11-09-2013, 10:29 AM
lionlimb, I'd go on a sample binge of rose frags, there's so many...

I thought the Le Labo was a let down, it's heavily loaded with iso-e super as it's main basenote, which is very common and I don't like it. I'd check out Amouage Lyric for Women and Tauer's Un Rose Chypre especially... Kilian's Rose Oud is great too, one of my favorite roses.

Faust
11-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Haha, I wish it was that easy! I'm pretty obsessed with their packaging, but I'm curious about some of the scents I've seen online and not in person yet, like rose du 8 mai (obviously a rose scent, but hoping it's a bit different than straight up rose) Somebody needs to invent a scent replicator for online perfume and candle buying purposes... "smell-o-gram". Or I just need to move to a better city. Not sure which one is more difficult.

Have not smelled the rose one, but I am sure it's baller. The fact that they use the best ingredients, essential oils, and such, instead of merely dousing their candles with perfume, pretty much guarantees that whatever they lay their hands on will be stellar.

interest1
11-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Have not smelled the rose one, but I am sure it's baller. The fact that they use the best ingredients, essential oils, and such, instead of merely dousing their candles with perfume, pretty much guarantees that whatever they lay their hands on will be stellar.

These 2 words in the same sentence are just.. wrong!

Faust
11-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Sorry, SZ slang seeping into my bloodstream. :(

interest1
11-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Don't feel bad.

I blame SZ for my obsession with cat gifs.

8bpc
12-06-2013, 11:19 PM
For years I just wore straight Rose Otto, mixed with a bit of Frankincense in the winter and Bergamot in the summer. I'm trying to move into more complex scents, but not having the best luck. I picked up a dab of By Kilian Rose Oud, but to my nose it has an intense powdery sweetness. I'm not a fan of Patchouli, which I suppose cuts the sweetness of many "dark" rose perfumes, and I assume that many musk-based scents would read too sweet to me. Anyone got recommendations?

This made me think of Incense Rose Eau de Parfum by Tauer Perfumes. It does have a patchouli note so I'm not certain you will like it, but given your Rose and Frankincense combination you should sample it.

lionlimb
01-04-2014, 09:04 PM
I tried the Le Labo rose and was disappointed. So powdery and soapy. Thumbs down.

I also realized that I should give patchouli notes a chance, because a well blended scent will probably not smell like the trainhopping crusty guy I dated in highschool.

So now I've got a sample binge on its way to me! On the rose spectrum, I'll soon be dabbling through decants of:
Histoires de Parfums - Rosam
Miller et Bertaux - Spiritus / Land #2
Frederic Malle - Noir Epices, POL
L'artisan - Voleur de Roses
Floris - China Rose (because I'm forcing myself to try ONE fruity floral like a two year old with broccoli)

I've already got too long of a list piling up for my next sample order, and those two Tauers are at the top! Although I'm a bit worried about the oakmoss note in the Rose Chypree. Oakmoss and I don't usually get along.

I also had a very stern talk with myself about the fact that I live in Texas, where the average temp is 90º for so much of the year. Woollen knits and spicy oriental frags may be my favorites, but they're not always feasible.

So blindly trying to buy something that doesn't smell like vampire christmas cookies, I ordered:
A Lab on Fire - What We Do in Paris is Secret, Anonyme
Miller et Bertaux - Green, Green, Green
L'Artisan - Couer de Vetiver, L'eau D'Artisan,
Histoires de Parfums - 1899 Hemingway
Serge Lutens - Borneo 1834

Shifts
01-05-2014, 03:18 AM
Some nice choices there, and quite varied choices too, even though a few of them circulate around the same notes. Noir Epices I've always had troubles with, it has some metallic twang that keeps bothering me. Voleur de Roses was one of my first niche buys and even though I ended up selling my bottle. I still hold it close to my heart. There is almost nothing like it around.

l'Eau de l'Aristan sometimes gets slagged as boring and without character, but I def. don't agree. It was also one of my earlier purchases (10+ yrs ago) and I fell in love with its grassy sensation and almost feeling like bottled sunshine.

Seeing the listing and hearing you want to go down the patchouli route, Frederic Malle - Portrait of a Lady could be sometime to consider.

lionlimb
01-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Slowly sorting through these decanter. First impressions, I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed by the Frederic Malles. I need to give them more time, but they feel a bit... Perfumey? I know that's obvious, but I was expecting something a bit more unusual after all the hype.

And this is not helping me at all in my search for a hot weather frag, but after an initial sniff, I just doused myself in serge lutens borneo. Despite the cacao and spices, it totally avoids any Yankee candle gourmand tendencies. I'll probably taint every wool and cashmere item I own with it.

resolution653
01-14-2014, 01:06 AM
has anyone tried la labo ylang 49? which serge lutens does it most compare too (because i'm most familiar with those) and is it lasting?

not familiar with any lutens but i have worn ylang 49 a bit over the last week, in dry weather and with my skin that doesn't give longevity to fragrance it is LASTING, lol. i am not usually sensitive to perfume but this is 30%. i over applied first go, ended up being cloying. im not experienced with florals so i can't really describe the scent. while i do like the scent itself, it isn't my style. would be great for women imo.

galia
01-20-2014, 03:12 PM
An thoughts on Dior's Oud Oriental? I got a free bottle through work and was wondering if it was worth checking out, or if I should just give it away

For reference, I only wear Lutens' Sa Majesté la Rose, and sometimes Fleur d 'Oranger in summer.

Is this perfume something I should check out? Will I like it?

Shifts
01-20-2014, 11:57 PM
The easiest way to find out must be to try your bottle?

No matter how much others might say something is perfect for you, trying it yourself is the most important thing. I've bought countless of "blind" bottles in my early days, and have been disappointed nearly as many times. Going on what other people say about a fragrance is risky.

galia
01-21-2014, 01:12 AM
I guess, but I'd like to know if it's an amazing fragrance or not. If it isn't, best to put it in my gift cabinet because I'm quite happy with what I have

Dane
01-21-2014, 08:10 AM
It's beautiful, but if you're generally into florals, it may not be your type of scent.

galia
01-21-2014, 09:13 AM
I guess I'll try it, thanks (I was actually just waiting for you to respond ahah)

Dane
01-21-2014, 09:56 AM
I'm flattered!

To be clear though - are we talking about Oud Ispahan or Oud Elixir (or maybe Oud Leather?) All are beautiful frankly. Ispahan is the most overtly floral of the bunch. The Elixir is the most beautiful and natural, but not for everyone. Oud Leather is some potent stuff. All are potent actually, but the Leather can be a bit smothering.

galia
01-21-2014, 05:07 PM
It's Oud Ispahan

I'm wearing it today. I love the cleanliness of the smell, but it's not super long lasting, is it? maybe I didn't spray enough

Dane
01-22-2014, 07:50 AM
I found it to be long lasting, but your mileage may vary.

galia
01-22-2014, 08:09 AM
I retract what I said, I just couldn't smell it earlier because I was eating couscous. now that there's no food around I can smell it again and it's still just as clean. It's lovely, I'm glad I'm keeping it ahah

Dane
01-22-2014, 09:11 AM
yay! glad you liked it. for the most part, that collection doesn't lack in terms of longevity of strength. frankly, I can only think of one oud scent that doesn't last forever!

PandorasFate
04-14-2014, 11:01 AM
There is absolutely nowhere to find good fragrance within 100 miles of where I live, and buying over the web feels dodgy. I've worn Black Orchid for a very long time, but I want to move on. Recommendations in a similar vein? I like its truffle/fig/oriental notes. I tried bvlgari Jasmin Noir, but it went very sweet on the drydown, and I felt I smelled like a brothel...

Dane
04-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Smelling like a brothel can be a good thing....as with Putains Des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange ($$) (smells more of violets and leather).

Maybe order some samples from Luckyscent.com or Aedes.com? Both have great selections.

Random suggestions - Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle ($$$); Feminite du Bois by Serge Lutens ($$); Rose Poivree by The Different Company ($$); Palisander by Comme Des Garcons ($$); Coromandel by Chanel ($$$); Memoir Woman by Amouage ($$$).

PandorasFate
04-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Dane, would you please give me your opinion on Montale Dark Oud as well, if you've nosed it? You seem to know EVERYTHING about fragrance, it is most impressive. [thumbup] I eagerly await the samples of what you have already suggested, but I'm considering a few Montale samps in addition.

Dane
04-22-2014, 08:42 AM
I can't recall if I've tried Dark Aoud...but for the most-part, Montale's collection all blur together. I've read that it the only difference from most of the others in the collection is the lack of rose.

Graeth
07-12-2014, 05:39 PM
My personal favourite is Diptyque's Philosykos. It has such a lovely deep warm scent, with the smell of sharp greenery on top.

illusion
08-05-2014, 04:05 AM
Serge's Jeaux de Peau is very cozy, although it's a love-it-or-hate-it type frag.

Verdandi
03-29-2015, 02:57 PM
I've been thingking of posting this over at the men's section, but since we have a thread for all the wonderful things concerning fragrance here as well (which has been neglected in the past year):

Has aynone heard about Shiseido buying back the Lutens trademark? Didn't he just buy the original line from them a couple of years ago himself? Serge is not getting any younger, so that may be the reason why, but it stil seems to be an odd move to me.

Speaking of Serge: I am disappointed with La Religieuse. I recieved a sample a few weeks ago and this is a soapy, light jasmine. Not unpleasent, but I hold Serge Lutens to higher standards than that.

And then I have been obsessed with Nahema for the last year or so. Which is the strangest thing as I don't care much for rose fragrances in general and even less for those that are so pungent. I never even thought about trying it before. Now I could kick myself because this one of the most gorgeous fragrances ever to me. It is brazen, loud and dramatic. Where has this been all my life?

Shifts
03-30-2015, 04:51 AM
This confused me as well, since I have been under the impression that Serge Lutens always was a branch under the Shiseido family tree. I've never been so good with who owns what though. If someone could clear this up it would be nice.

Mezeinee
06-09-2015, 08:46 AM
A lady's fragrance that I purchased about 5 months ago is
simply called 'Carven Le Parfum' and it looks like this:

http://www.carven-parfums.com/images/phototheque/fragrance/1/list.jpg

It is a very flowery feminine scent. But not sweet or too girly. I think it is a good every day scent for women in their 20-30s who value a light and not so heavy overwhelming fragrance.

I tried it in the Voo Store in Berlin Kreuzberg and then purchased it from amazon.co.uk.

Also, I very much recommend this perfume:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5d/d2/47/5dd2477a9749b2af6493b68136ad4e98.jpg

It is a scent by Balenciaga Paris and smells similar to the Carven I mentioned above.

galia
06-10-2015, 12:54 AM
Hi all !
Unfortunately, my husbant hates the smell of Oud Ispahan, so I'm not wearing it anymore [cry]. Seems like a shame to waste it since it's such a great scent. If anyone is interested in a barely used bottle, still with box, pm me and I will mail it to you at a low price.

Faust
07-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Reposting here

Floriental by CDG

One of the most original scents I've laid my nose on. Really good.

http://www.sz-mag.com/news/2015/07/comme-des-garcons-floriental/

http://www.sz-mag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/FullRangePackshot-2-e1437571595717.jpg

trentk
07-23-2015, 08:02 PM
"Step by step, [perfume's] history followed that of our language. The perfumed Louis XIII style, composed of elements highly prized at that time, of iris powder, musk, chive and myrtle water already designated under the name of "water of the angels," was hardly sufficient to express the cavalier graces, the rather crude tones of the period which certain sonnets of Saint-Amand have preserved for us. Later, with myrrh and olibanum, the mystic odors, austere and powerful, the pompous gesture of the great period, the redundant artifices of oratorial art, the full, sustained harmonious style of Bossuet and the masters of the pulpit were almost possible. Still later, the sophisticated, rather bored graces of French society under Louis XV, more easily found their interpretation in the almond which in a manner summed up this epoch; then, after the ennui and jadedness of the first empire, which misused Eau de Cologne and rosemary, perfumery rushed, in the wake of Victor Hugo and Gautier, towards the Levant. It created oriental combinations, vivid Eastern nosegays, discovered new intonations, antitheses which until then had been unattempted, selected and made use of antique nuances which it complicated, refined and assorted. It resolutely rejected that voluntary decrepitude to which it had been reduced by the Malesherbes, the Boileaus, the Andrieuxes and the Baour-Lormians, wretched distillers of their own poems.

But this language had not remained stationery since the period of 1830. It had continued to evolve and, patterning itself on the progress of the century, had advanced parallel with the other arts. It, too, had yielded to the desires of amateurs and artists, receiving its inspiration from the Chinese and Japanese, conceiving fragrant albums, imitating the Takeoka bouquets of flowers, obtaining the odor of Rondeletia from the blend of lavender and clove; the peculiar aroma of Chinese ink from the marriage of patchouli and camphor; the emanation of Japanese Hovenia by compounds of citron, clove and neroli.

Des Esseintes studied and analyzed the essences of these fluids, experimenting to corroborate their texts. He took pleasure in playing the role of a psychologist for his personal satisfaction, in taking apart and re-assembling the machinery of a work, in separating the pieces forming the structure of a compound exhalation, and his sense of smell had thereby attained a sureness that was all but perfect.

Just as a wine merchant has only to smell a drop of wine to recognize the grape, as a hop dealer determines the exact value of hops by sniffing a bag, as a Chinese trader can immediately tell the origin of the teas he smells, knowing in what farms of what mountains, in what Buddhistic convents it was cultivated, the very time when its leaves were gathered, the state and the degree of torrefaction, the effect upon it of its proximity to the plum-tree and other flowers, to all those perfumes which change its essence, adding to it an unexpected touch and introducing into its dryish flavor a hint of distant fresh flowers; just so could Des Esseintes, by inhaling a dash of perfume, instantly explain its mixture and the psychology of its blend, and could almost give the name of the artist who had composed and given it the personal mark of his individual style."

Huysmans, A Rebours, chp 10. (full text free here: http://www.victorianweb.org/decadence/huysmans/10.html).

Verdandi
10-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Would anyone in France be willing to proxy some items from the Guerlain and Chanel online shops for me? They don't sell online here and the fragrances I am looking for are always sold out at the local Chanel Boutique and Guerlain counter. Any help would be much appreciated.

galia
10-09-2015, 01:26 PM
I'll do it! PM me if you want

graydot
12-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Looking for recommendations. Trying to find a fragrance for my wife. She currently wears Safran Troublant and CdG Holygrace. Hoping to find something that has some of the same notes, but not necessarily similar. Any other suggestions are helpful as well.

SuzieQ
05-04-2016, 07:02 PM
I found info here only about the male and female fragrances. Is there a separate thread about unisex?

Faust
05-04-2016, 07:53 PM
No, but you can post in either of the threads. Or start one.

ahn
05-05-2016, 12:22 AM
Picked up Black Uddu by Mad et Len in Paris earlier this year. It's a very cool-smelling fragrance (to me) compared to my previous daily fragrance (Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford). I'm still adjusting to it stylistically speaking but I do adore it.

HOWEVER I feel like no matter the brand, the fragrance disappears within an hour. When I ask my boyfriend he says he can't smell it, so I know it's not just my perception of the fragrance. Why can't I keep these beautiful scents on my skin for longer? Is it the chemical composition of my skin? [cry]

Verdandi
05-05-2016, 01:52 AM
Do you have dry skin? Sometimes it can help to moisturize with a non fragrant body lotion or butter before applying perfume.

You could also try to spray the scent on your clothes or your hair.

Faust
05-05-2016, 09:13 AM
Do you have dry skin? Sometimes it can help to moisturize with a non fragrant body lotion or butter before applying perfume.

I have the same problem - dry skin, and I do what Verdandi says (except the hair). Just spray it on top of your top, close to the neck.

ahn
05-05-2016, 06:46 PM

I have the same problem - dry skin, and I do what Verdandi says (except the hair). Just spray it on top of your top, close to the neck.

Thank you, yes I would say I have normal/dry skin, I will try this trick with the unscented moisturiser!

SuzieQ
03-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Thank you, yes I would say I have normal/dry skin, I will try this trick with the unscented moisturiser!

Try this for fix scent on every skin:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVHIFFU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JHT1U3QMO9EG

SuzieQ
03-13-2017, 02:28 PM
yes, Unisex it really would be useful. did you start a new topic?)I would be interested to take part.

Faust
08-09-2018, 07:46 AM
For an inexpensive everyday scent I currently love SJP NYC, this is floral and fresh and is perfect for work as it won't cost an arm and a leg to replace!

LOL..

shropshire
03-24-2020, 07:21 AM
Have you guys tried Delina Exclusif Women Parfum EDP Spray?