X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crtk001
    • Nov 2010

Help with Thesis

I'm just starting my graphic design thesis on pretty much what Stylezeitgeist is, the history and designers that led the way for this style and for the work of designers like Julius, Odyn Vovk, Osbcur, etc.

The main problem I am going to have is collecting images. Here is where I was hoping you guys could help me out. If you don't mind, some of you take gorgeous photos for the Archives and Classifieds here. If anyone is willing to take for or send me large or high res photos of some of their garments it would be a huge help to me in creating an image archive for my thesis.

I'm mainly looking for images of the work of:
    Yohji Yamamoto
    Rei Kawakubo
    Maison Martin Margiela
    Helmut Lang
    Raf Simons (pre-Jil Sander)
    Rick Owens
    Carol Christian Poell
    Julius
    Boris Bidjan Saberi
    M.A+
    Obscur
    Odyn Vovk

Any help would be would be amazing. Thanks.
  • crtk001
    • Nov 2010

I understand I could take them from the archives, really I'm looking to go the proper way about it and get permission to use people's pictures and for large/hi-res photos since it is for print.

Comment

• franz
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by crtk001 View Post
      I understand I could take them from the archives, really I'm looking to go the proper way about it and get permission to use people's pictures and for large/hi-res photos since it is for print.
      I think if you want to do it properly, you'll have to check which pics are more interested in, and pm each poster to aqk for rights to use the pics, and possibily hi-res files when available...
      But do you really need authorization to use pics in a thesis? It's not a public work, is it?
      Originally posted by Faust
      True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

Comment

• tron
        • Dec 2010

I'd be interested in hi res shots from any of these designers simply for person reference. Please let me know if you obtain any and I'll see what I have in my archives.
        "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• cowsareforeating
          • Jan 2011

if you had a specific list of items that would help more. im sure certain pieces would be more of interest than others..

Comment

• aussy
            • Jul 2011

Any interest in my pics? (leather julius trench, two comme blazers) I can take more detailed ones if you want, I just threw those up. Could take them in my light tent too. Let me know

Comment

• genevieveryoko
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by crtk001 View Post
              I'm just starting my graphic design thesis on pretty much what Stylezeitgeist is, the history and designers that led the way for this style and for the work of designers like Julius, Odyn Vovk, Osbcur, etc.

I'm mainly looking for images of the work of:
              Yohji Yamamoto
              Rei Kawakubo
              Maison Martin Margiela
              Helmut Lang
              Raf Simons (pre-Jil Sander)
              Rick Owens
              Carol Christian Poell
              Julius
              Boris Bidjan Saberi
              M.A+
              Obscur
              Odyn Vovk

Any help would be would be amazing. Thanks.
              just curious, what exactly is your thesis?

also, why those designers and not others, such as Issey Miyake, Carpe Diem, or Ann Demeulemeester?
              http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• crtk001
                • Nov 2010

to be honest my thesis is on the stylezeigest kind of. i am focusing on this style and aesthetics as a case study really. more than the fashion, i am interested in the fact that the fashion aesthetic shares the same principles as their architectural and interior design aesthetics, but how the same ideas that are behind the visual underline choice in music and literature. my thesis is two-fold, a magazine for the culture, the fashion, art, music, literature, film, and also a book trying to trace and make a cohesive history of the culture.

i have limited my timeline a bit as i'm only my first week into my project. i am starting with yohji yamamoto and the japanese first bringing their philosophy and aesthetic to paris as the starting point. Issey Miyake will be touched on but I have chosen to focus more on Yohji and Rei. Carpe Diem as of right now I am still learning more about, but I am aware its importance to the history, I will mention it as the forefront of the style along with Carol Christian Poell. Ann D I have long been a fan of I am just not completely sure how to incorporate her fully and cohesively, unless she becomes an appendage or sub-section.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                  • Sep 2009

ah, i see. sounds like you are more focusing on the 'style' aspect of the forum, as it applies to members' tastes across many different areas. of course, there are a lot of different designers you could include and you won't have time for them all. like you said, i think it would be a good idea to include some sort of appendix that would list the ones you don't get around to. i asked the question originally, because i was wondering if your list reflected some sort of personal bias, based upon what you like or think is important...what you believe the 'style zeitgeist' to be...ultimately though I guess that can't fully be avoided....;)

Comment

• crtk001
                    • Nov 2010

i am, in the larger scale, new to stylezeigeist. and do have a lot to learn which is actually why it is my thesis, it gives me time to divulge into something i am genuinely interested in. thesis should be a showcase as well as an opportunity that you may never get again to spend 8 months dedicated to a subject of your choosing.

toronto has a pretty terrible fashion scene. not much diversity and its very much trying to be vogue, trying to be glitzy and snooty. i got tired of it quickly. and even, i went to school for philosophy and theology before fashion and graphic design and i have never found a marriage of the two before like this culture that stylezeigiest perpetuates.

so i have simply my foot in the waters here and am trying to get some kind of idea/guidance/approval, something from here. i will try to post my work as it comes along, the senior members here seems to have such a wealth of knowledge and hope you all can help me out.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                      • Sep 2009

well, it sounds like quite a large task to undertake but i think it's a topic worthy of investigation. i'd be curious to see what kind of consistencies you end up finding in the aesthetic of this 'community' after 8 months of research. maybe you could compare and contrast this place to other fashion forums on the web, or with other communities of individuals throughout history who were interested in avant-garde ideas and styles...but that might be off topic for you...
                      Last edited by genevieveryoko; 09-22-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎