X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • croatoan
    • Jul 2007

Vim Beget (Jewelry)

Haven't seen Vim Beget's work brought up at all, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to start a thread. The line is just one person who does all of the design and production. Necklaces and bracelets are made from German silver, worked into rings and hand-woven. Rings are cast from sterling silver. I'm not usually a big fan of jewelry, but I quite like his stuff.

Some pictures from his website..

• cowsareforeating
    • Jan 2011

I own one... the second bracelet that is shown worn. It is nice and heavy and it does feel very well made.

be careful with sizing bracelets because mine is too dangly for me and i never wear it.

Comment

• michael_kard
      • Oct 2010

I love these - thanks for posting croatoan.

Cows, I was thinking of buying the one you have... I'm glad you like it, and my wrists are kind of wide so sizing shouldn't be a problem.
      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• modalsaliency
        • May 2010

I own the Ossa ring. It is what it is, I suppose. I've been fond of Vim Beget for a while now - if you have a fetish for minimalism like me something may strike a chord. It's the only piece of jewelry I wear daily.

I wish he'd stop using German silver for the bracelets though. It tends not to tarnish well over the long term.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Looks like everything else?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            It's fine for what it is...but it's far from inspired.

Why is nice jewelllery so difficult to find?? It's either boring or covered in skulls (which is still boring).
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• cowsareforeating
              • Jan 2011

theres another brand that i picked up -- will look into and see if its worth a thread. the ring i got was nice though... good alternative to chunky werkstatt; never handled goti myself

Comment

• modalsaliency
                • May 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                It depends what you're looking for, I suppose. Especially with menswear, and most especially with menswear jewelry, the issue isn't so much being distinctive as it is being holistic. Anything too striking, unless it's worked with an outfit rather than into it, just comes off as an advertisement rather than something you actually wear as part of a natural style. You see this with stuff like Obscur goth, where you can make it work but unless you're careful it seems costume-y (which is a greater sin than straight gaudiness, honestly).

I kind of feel like jewelry amplifies this effect. It's shiny, entirely optional, entirely ornamental, exclusively worn to make a statement. I think that's why male jewelry has been locked in stasis (simple leather wraps, beaded bracelets, basic chunky silver rings) more than the female equivalent while in terms of other clothing it's been more than making up for generations of homogeneity.

Even something like Shaun Leane, which I think you mentioned you liked, makes me feel like I'm just broadcasting when I wear it. And I'm someone who has no problem with extreme Julius, from dropcrotch to gun holster. I rather like that Vim Beget is militantly minimalist.
                Last edited by modalsaliency; 12-12-2011, 04:05 AM.

Comment

• hommedeguerre
                  • Jun 2009

Vim Beget Process 012 from Vim Beget on Vimeo.

Billy just sent this to me.
                  Le 21ème

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by modalsaliency View Post
                    It depends what you're looking for, I suppose. Especially with menswear, and most especially with menswear jewelry, the issue isn't so much being distinctive as it is being holistic. Anything too striking, unless it's worked with an outfit rather than into it, just comes off as an advertisement rather than something you actually wear as part of a natural style. You see this with stuff like Obscur goth, where you can make it work but unless you're careful it seems costume-y (which is a greater sin than straight gaudiness, honestly).

I kind of feel like jewelry amplifies this effect. It's shiny, entirely optional, entirely ornamental, exclusively worn to make a statement. I think that's why male jewelry has been locked in stasis (simple leather wraps, beaded bracelets, basic chunky silver rings) more than the female equivalent while in terms of other clothing it's been more than making up for generations of homogeneity.

Even something like Shaun Leane, which I think you mentioned you liked, makes me feel like I'm just broadcasting when I wear it. And I'm someone who has no problem with extreme Julius, from dropcrotch to gun holster. I rather like that Vim Beget is militantly minimalist.
                    I couldn't agree more. It's why I don't wear jewelry. Once in a blue moon I wear the two pieces of jewelry I have, just to remind myself that I have these beautiful objects :-)
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hommedeguerre
                      • Jun 2009

That's a wonderful approach. It keeps them exciting. I wear rings about 50% of the time, but I tend to keep my Vim Beget id bracelet on as I really do love it's simplicity.
                      Le 21ème

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

I'm liking some of this more than I did at first...I still think it's rather simple, but I guess there's always a place for that. The ID bracelet with the blackened finish caught my eye.
                        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• hommedeguerre
                          • Jun 2009

Billy just sent me this...so I figured I should post a pic...albeit a bad pic.

Cool Box...

Le 21ème

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎