X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rilu
    • Mar 2024

Lorica Bag "Tow-Faced Bastard" by D. Jensen

After a long search for a bag that doesn't include animal-based materials and that is not produced in a sweatshop, I finally found someone who could make a bag for me.
    D. Jensen (also known on this forum as tomatous :) has been creating a number of beautiful garments, all completely hand-made (and that literally, since in most cases he hasn't used a sewing machine). You can see his creations on his blog (though he should really get a better camera to do justice to his creations :)

For this bag we first needed to find some good quality faux leather, and we ended up getting lorica fabric, produced in Italy. The entire design as well as the production is the work of tomatous. It is probably the most beautiful bag I've ever had :)

The bag has two compartments which could be turned around, so that either is in front, while the zipper of the other one remains hidden. Both are made of the same black lorica, just the gray one is the reversed side of it.

Now, tomatous included a few possibilities to keep the two parts together, the favorite one of which is for me with a lorica lace which goes from a bobbin sewed onto the black part, towards and around the gray part:

All that was the gray side of the bag. It can also be worn with the black part flapped around, and then it looks like this:

I find the idea of always having one part zipped on the inside great, because all that I need on the way can be placed in the "outside compartment" (that is, the one that has the zipper on the outside), while more important documents (passports when traveling) or simply papers that I'll use at work can be put into the inner compartment.

The gray part also has an additional inner pocket:

Once again, thanks, tomatous!
  • munch
    • Aug 2008

whoa - how come this has been kept sort of secretish or am I just not looking in the right places ? really nice! love the other stuff on his blog!!

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

I love how the lace/bow makes it slightly more feminine. Very nice, congrats.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Oasis
        • Apr 2011

Great looking bag which also seems practical and functional. Some of the designs on the blog are exquisite too.
        Originally posted by christianef
        u looks like tbone on the juice.

Comment

• keen
          • Sep 2010

that's pretty amazing. really really nice bag love the zipper detail.

also, great shawl collar jacket on the blog! anymore deets on its creation? really interested

Comment

• tomatous
            Banned
            • Jan 2009

Thank you. Lorica is such an interesting fabric to work with. I was so surprised at how much I liked the reverse side of the fabric, that I decided to use it as the "front" of the bag. Though, it could be flipped if rilu wanted a black face.

Such great feedback drives me to make more, I really appreciate it.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
              • Sep 2009

i didn't know you had a blog either. nice work, really like the "face" bag. you must have the most patient hands to stitch all that stuff up by hand!!
              http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• munch
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tomatous View Post

Thank you. Lorica is such an interesting fabric to work with. I was so surprised at how much I liked the reverse side of the fabric, that I decided to use it as the "front" of the bag. Though, it could be flipped if rilu wanted a black face.

so I heard you make a 15" macbook pro compatible heavy waxed canvas messenger bag with leather strap? and perhaps a few details in leather? and for sort of cheap? wink wink

really though, very awesome stuff.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                  Vegan Police
                  • Sep 2011

Based on the outcome, I may have to inquire on how I could go about getting such a nice vegan bag as well. Job well done tomatous.

Looks awesome by the way.
                  StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Well done, sir.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
                      • Jan 2009

Well done, mate. Yeah lorica is definitely interesting, and a good bit more durable than people realize. It's the preferred material for the outer of high performance motorcycle racing boots (ie. boots that have to protect the foot when the rider decides he'd rather slide down the track on his butt than his motorcycle). I have a pair and the lorica holds up beautifully.

rilu - I think you may have found a new material for your shoes as well, if you can source it consistently.
                      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Joker
                        • Oct 2011

Good quality zipper, is that Excella from YKK?

Comment

• tomatous
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2009

Thank you Faust and Sombre. There is another lorica bag in the works.. ;)

Joker - you have a keen eye sir. Those are indeed excella ykk zips.

Comment

The bag is really great Rilu, and definitely very you! Good job tomatous.

Comment

• xmattyx
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by rilu
                              Now just to convince Guidi or Marsell to make a few pairs of it too ;)
                              Agreed!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎