PDA

View Full Version : Makeup and Skincare

kirie
01-14-2012, 04:05 AM
since make-up can be such an essential part of your aesthetic, and one may argue that your skin is your most valuable beauty asset...

what are your favourite:

cleansing lines? beauty routines?

foundations etc?

mascara/liner/shadow etc?

products?

and since it's January,
favourite runway or editorial makeup trend of 2011

I've been using spectro jel moisturiser and cleanser for ages, but unfortunately my make-up ability ends at mascara. I LOVE the Rimmell Lash Accelerator mascara however, I've been using it for 3 months and my lashes are honestly twice the length they used to be.

Rosenrot
01-14-2012, 04:19 AM
One fine day when I was eighteen, I ran out of eyeliner and began using my mascara as subsitute. For a couple of weeks.

It's been many years since the incident but I'm still learning about make up. One thing's for sure, I love bold lip colours. If anyone's looking for a true red lipstick I can vouch for M.A.C's Russian Red.

genevieveryoko
01-14-2012, 12:55 PM
the only make-up i currently use is jane iredale pure pressed mineral powder and i highly recommend it. it doesn't clog your pores, and looks good all day.

rider
01-17-2012, 08:03 AM
my modus operandi is fairly simple. a good moisturizer (elemis marine) over retin-a (best wrinkle prevention i know), light foundation (shu uemura), mascara (chantecaille), burts bees on lips and thats it. use as little soap as possible since it is very drying so i prefer a wipe off cleanser instead. i hate sleeping with makeup on, its vile in the morning.

never was a fan of lipstick, although i do love all the colors. it never stays on so whats the point?

Dane
01-17-2012, 09:48 AM
my modus operandi is fairly simple. a good moisturizer (elemis marine) over retin-a (best wrinkle prevention i know), light foundation (shu uemura), mascara (chantecaille), burts bees on lips and thats it. use as little soap as possible since it is very drying so i prefer a wipe off cleanser instead. i hate sleeping with makeup on, its vile in the morning.

never was a fan of lipstick, although i do love all the colors. it never stays on so whats the point?

Please don't use your retin-a during the day! I also see you're not wearing a sunscreen with it, which makes the situation worse. Retin-a is deactivated by UV rays, unless you're putting a fairly heavy physical sunscreen over it...which is why it's easier to just apply it before you go to bed.

I hope that didn't sound preachy...[blush]

rider
01-17-2012, 12:31 PM
dane, not preachy at all...i wholeheartedly appreciate your insight, and have spoken to my dermatologist about the unconventional method i use. we determined that since i have been using this routine for years and due to the fact that my moisturizer has a decent sunscreen in it, its an acceptable application. ive tried the before bed routine but prefer to use it in the AM since its ingrained as part of my morning prep.

as an aside, everyone should use a moisturizer with sunscreen, its such an easy preventative with undeniable benefits.

Dane
01-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Ah, understood...as long as the doctor agrees. :)

People take thei sunscreen for granted...there's basically no use in wastin your money on any ski care if you're not using it.

Johngd
01-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Using cleanser, moisturizer and peeling from Dermalogica. to be honest I can never feel or see any difference between "cheap" and expensive products [blush]

Dane
01-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Using cleanser, moisturizer and peeling from Dermalogica. to be honest I can never feel or see any difference between "cheap" and expensive products [blush]

Because there often isn't any.

Dane
01-18-2012, 09:32 AM
I think if people would pay attention to the science, companies wouldn't get away with all the ridiculous claims they make.

The fact is, tretinoin (Retin-A, etc.) is the only proven method of topically reducing wrinkles. However, other ingredients are required for stabilization, as well as other facets of healthy skin, like exfoliation, replacing what's lost on the skin during cleansing, combatants of free radical damage, and things that generally improve cell-structure and normality.

So, what one should ideally look for is:
-a gentle cleanser
-a gentle exfoliant (ideally an alpha or beta hydroxy acid with the proper pH level)
-a daytime moisturizer or toner that includes antioxidants, cell-level ingredients like niacinamide, etc.;
-a sunscreen (if not contained in your moisturizer) that has stable uva and uvb protection; and
-a retinoid inclusive product for overnight use.

Those things don't have to be expensive. Companies like Neutrogena and Olay have tons of products that meet these criteria and can be had for not a lot of money.

What irks me are the idiots that rant on about "all natural" ingredients...things like lavender and peppermint are far too common in skincare and only do harm. Just because something is natural, doesn't mean it's good or appropriate. Poison Ivy is natural...I don't want it on my face.

/rant

Dane
01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
That's the issue though, many natural ingredients have been fully proven as being harmful, yet people still insist on using them!

Anyway, I try not to get too worked up over it...it's not my skin, so I really don't care what others are doing. I just hate seeing people pay hand & foot for something that's only doing them harm.

FWIW, Retin-A et al. have been on the market for decades now, so even longterm studies have been thoroughly conducted.

flux
01-18-2012, 02:46 PM
This is a good topic, make-up is a familiar territory for me. [smile]

Sooo...

I use Bodyshop's Aloe Gentle Facial Wash and toner (the green bottles) for cleansing my face, Neutrogena scrub once a month, Oil of Olay Double Action day creme under make-up and pure Argan oil around my eyes and neck during dry seasons (I have an atopic skin and this oil is the only thing that works during winter time, it's also great for the whole face and areas that might get itchy/dry).

My make-up consists of Everyday Minerals mineral make-up (different products, such as the base foundation and concealers), Dermablend concealer for dark circles around the eyes, Rimmel Exaggerate Waterproof Eye Definer eyeliner, Max Factor Falselash Effect mascara, Elizabeth Arden, MAC and Everyday Minerals eyeshadows (usually brown/grey palette), Make Up Store Tri Brow Color eyebrow kit for eyebrows, Everyday Minerals blush for the cheeks, and YSL Pure Rouge Shine or MAC lipstick (red or dark red usually) for the lips. On normal days I just wear lip balm.

Reading this back I realized that I use a ton of products on my face hahhaa..but I manage to make a really natural and light look with them. I think mineral make-up is truly great, I would not switch away from it. I know that there is a mix of market products and some high end ones but I after trial and error, I swear on these products, cheap or not.

Basically, when I go out I add more color to my eyes and lips and yeah, I wear make-up pretty much every single day. Without it I feel somehow "naked". People tell me I would not need it but I also enjoy doing it, so why not. [smile] I tend to think that since I don't have much time to exercise my artistic skills, I paint my face each morning instead.[tongue]

galia
01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I use everyday minerals too, but I'm so pale I use the palest concealer powder as foundation. I use whatever mascara I can get for free at work or YSL faux-cils if I run out and can't get anything. Now I'm using the last of a disspointing helena rubinstein mascara. Afer YSL my favourite is probably guerlain, the one with mascara one one end and a sort of laquer soft brush on the other. If I want a more dramatic effect, I'll add some guerlain khol stick and some chanel rouge noir lipstick, but that's very rare.
sometimes I'll go crazy with green and pinks on my eyes and end up looking like a dying person, but that's only for going out at night.

I wash my face at night by rubbing it first with olive oil to detach all the impurities, then I wash it with marseille or alep soap and then I use some floral water (rose or bleuet depending on the season) as lotion. It's the only way I feel the makeup and pollution have been properly removed from my skin.
I the morning, I wash it with the same soap in the shower and then use a moisturizer with sunscreen in it. I have never been 100% satisfied with anything I've used, but the Avene one I'm using now is probably the best. no anti-ageing cream yet, I don't trust them really. I feel good sunscreen and hydration should be enough until I'm well over 35, possibly 40

this has taken ages to type, and yet my face routine is pretty minimal to be honest...

Dane
01-19-2012, 09:54 AM
^ don't be afraid of anti-aging...much of it can be considered preventative and repairing as opposed to reversing. Many simple creams containing retinol can be found easily. Avene makes some decent gentle ones without many other ingredients:

http://www.aveneusa.com/ystheal-lotion/

between
01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
if i had to name one product it would definitely be the Bioderma Créaline H20 make-up remover, i have been using it for a couple of months now and it is the best product for sensitive skin (or any kind of skin really, and i heard that all of the make-up artists in the fashion industry use it).

besides that, i use Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré for moisturising and Nuxe Exfoliant Doux Aromatique to wash my face in the morning.

rider
01-19-2012, 10:18 AM
does anyone change their skincare routine from winter vs. summer?
the one i mentioned above is my winter docket. in the spring and summer, when i am outside more often, i use the retin a at night with elemis moisturizer (i love the smell so much, and its all about that for me) but during the day i use oil of olay prox lotion with spf 30.

i wont ever wear a product or use a shampoo that i dont like the smell of. scent is 99% of the experience for me and i will pay for it if i have too.

Dane
01-19-2012, 10:25 AM
We have pretty drastic seasons here in Toronto, so I switch from a toner in summer to a moisturizer in winter (I have oily skin). I also switch body wash in winter to something more moisturizing (Aveeno, etc.). In summer I use whatever...my body-skin is fairly resistant.

Speaking of which...my routine:

a.m.
-Clinique Wash-away Gel Cleanser
-Paula's Choice 2% BHA toner -or- 2% BHA body moisturizer
-Paula's Choice Mattifying Serum
-Neutrogena SPF45 Liquid Sunscreen

p.m.
-same cleanser
-Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner
-Retin-A .25% Cream

Patroklus
01-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Aside from eight hours of restful sleep, is there any cure for my heroin chic/Uncle Fester/domestic abuse eye bags?

Dane
01-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Aside from eight hours of restful sleep, is there any cure for my heroin chic/Uncle Fester/domestic abuse eye bags?

Injected fillers. Everything else is a crock. What makes them purple is blood...cream can't make blood go away, only cosmetic procedures.

Patroklus
01-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Pass. I like sleeping anyway.

flux
01-19-2012, 12:37 PM

Sleep, oxygen... if they are black circles around your eyes, try cover them up with Dermablend, that shit covers even tattoos. I use it daily on mine (I look like a vampire without). For puffyness/eye bags you can try the old fashioned cucumber or tea bag treatment once in awhile.. but if you want a pretty good and fresh feeling eye cream, try Vichy's ice stick (http://www.vichyusa.com/aqualia-antiox-eye-stick.htm). It at least feels really good and it seems to work for me on, ahem, heavy mornings.

theseasonofmist
01-19-2012, 01:38 PM
I have a fairly simple routine these days, as I rarely wear much make-up during the week.
I use Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, then Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist. My moisturiser is Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré. Once every few weeks I have a mud mask: I have been using Ahava Advanced Mud Masque for the last five years, really recommend it.

In terms of make-up, if any, I wear: Estee Lauder Pure Finish Mineral Tinted Moisturiser or Chanel Pro Lumiere (both have SPF 15). I tend to use eye-lash curlers every day - Shu Uemura. My mascaras are either Chanel or YSL Faux Cils (not clumpy, great effect). Favourite everyday lipstick is Chanel Rouge Coco in "Mademoiselle".

In the summer I use Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream (SPF 50).

rider
01-19-2012, 02:32 PM
dane, i dose at .5% [cool]
what is Paula's Choice Mattifying Serum? i assume its a base to keep away shine... didnt realize a serum can do that.

flux, i have the same tub of dermablend from eons ago, it is TRULY the best cover up out there, but do you find it drying at all? i have found that under my eyes it dries to peeling levels so i only use it for blemishes. the added bonus is it will get rid of a blemish overnight. love the stuff for that reason alone.

i use bobbi brown under eye corrector and concealer on occasion. i have heard good things about laura mercier too, but it creased on my skin.

cetaphil is another great product. thanks seasonofmist, i forgot about that staple.

severin
01-19-2012, 03:26 PM
things like lavender and peppermint are far too common in skincare and only do harm.

how so ?
while they don't go near my face i gravitate toward both when it comes to bath / shower soaps and indulgences ......

rider
01-19-2012, 06:02 PM
dane, you can take this and give more insight... but i would have to say that the suns harmful rays, while not as strong as in the warmer months, are still seeping through the atmosphere even though the air is colder. yes, the sun is farther away in winter, but especially with a thinner ozone, its more important to protect the epidermis.

Dane
01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
dane, i dose at .5% [cool]
what is Paula's Choice Mattifying Serum? i assume its a base to keep away shine... didnt realize a serum can do that.

cetaphil is another great product. thanks seasonofmist, i forgot about that staple.

It just has some silica or some absorbent in it...doesn't do anything magical (try Makeup Forever's HD powder for that).

how so ?
while they don't go near my face i gravitate toward both when it comes to bath / shower soaps and indulgences ......

This explains it better than I can. Gives the good & bad...it's just that the bad outweighs the good.

http://www.futurederm.com/2009/07/13/lavender-oil-skin-carefriend-or-foe/

Can somebody give some info on why sunscreens are important throughout the year, when there is hardly any exposure to the sun? I see so many of you have written you use these daily, while I tend to care about the sunscreen only when I go on holidays and plan on sitting outside whole day long. I just looked a bit online and I see there are studies showing sunscreen to be an efficacious component in anti-aging creams, but I am just wondering what precisely is the effect of sun on the skin during the winter cloudy days. I've just looked for studies about these effects because I am curious about the issue, but I can't find any.

Sun exposure and UV exposure are two differnt things...even when indoors, when it's cloudy, and in winter there are harmful UV rays causing damage to your skin. UVA is what causes sun damage (wrinkles, cancer, etc.), UVB is what gives you a sunburn. UVA damage is considered to be the primary cause of all skin damage.

Here's a brief (and probably better than mine) explanation...lots of good info on this site:

http://www.futurederm.com/2008/05/13/10-tips-to-look-younger-for-longer/

galia
01-19-2012, 06:54 PM
for me it's more of a "just in case", since I can get a sunburn on my nose after half an hour of exposue to mild sunshine. being super pale sucks.

Johngd
01-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Two peaople are born with exactly the same skin (normal skin). At the age of 18, one is starting to use skin products everyday and the other one only use water for cleaning.
Which one end up having the best looking skin at the age of 70? [lol]

Dane
01-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Two peaople are born with exactly the same skin (normal skin). At the age of 18, one is starting to use skin products everyday and the other one only use water for cleaning.
Which one end up having the best looking skin at the age of 70? [lol]

The one who stays out of the sun.

Johngd
01-20-2012, 08:28 AM
If both stays out of the sun?

Dane
01-20-2012, 08:52 AM
If both stays out of the sun?

Lots of factors involved...but generally speaking, the one who used skincare products would end up having healthier skin. In order for skin cells to properly regenerate, debris and dead skin needs to be washed away through cleansing and exfoliation. Throw in normal occurences like acne, dry skin, bacteria formed through sweat, etc., and someone only using water will no doubt have many more issues to deal with.

Let's put it this way - change your circumstance and instead of face we talk body - one using skincare, the other not...which do you think would have the best looking skin at 70?

flux
01-20-2012, 09:44 AM
flux, i have the same tub of dermablend from eons ago, it is TRULY the best cover up out there, but do you find it drying at all? i have found that under my eyes it dries to peeling levels so i only use it for blemishes. the added bonus is it will get rid of a blemish overnight. love the stuff for that reason alone.

Not really, mine is a bit "oily" somehow, perhaps a different type of Dermablend? However, I have had it for years now and maybe it has dried a little bit over the years in the container. But.. I use the Argan oil under my eyes because they get so dry after showering (damn dry skin..), so mixed with that it gets a bit more moist. I have not noticed that it would take away any blemishes overnight because I always wash all my make-up off for the night. I would think the other way, leaving make-up overnight would cause more pimples.. hahah. But go figure. :)

ErnstLudwig
01-20-2012, 10:56 PM
You need sun protection if you're in the sun, otherwise of not. UV doesn't really penetrate glass or acrylic glass. One of the other rules of thumb rules is 10-15 min of sun (without protection) is considered no problem for a normal skin type (really careful: red hair, albinos). In fact we humans even need UV light to produce vitamin D, and if you go into the sun you have to supplement it.

Evolution adapted us to water and not 5+ skin products, that is just an invention of big pharma to make money with overpriced basic (often worthless) chemicals. Our skin regenerates itself, there is a reason why we loose hair and danders naturally and all the time = overturn to keep itself healthy.

The skin is a horribly dry microenvironment which makes it extremely difficult for harmful bacteria and especially fungi to grow, and most of the bacteria which can be found there are actually considered "good" for us, because they are harmless and additionally consume most of the scarcely present nutrients which makes it even more difficult for evil microorganisms to grow there. So no need to do anything against them!

btw. acne is mainly defined by the skin type, and there is not much you can do besides antibiotic treatment (permanent I mean). The permanent changes that occur are based on physiological changes of the human body and skin (=puberty).

In my opinion something like 2 products are sufficient, like replenish lost lipids of the skin "dry skin" (nothing petrol based to think about the environment) and something to protect your hands against detergents "often wash hands dryness".

Dane
01-21-2012, 06:24 PM
I knew the conversation was going to go in this direction...people spewing out what "nature has given us" vs. what has been scientifically proven. If anyone cared to do the research, there are mountains of studies performed by independently funded organizations that have no affiliation with government or pharmaceutical companies. But I guess reading is too much to ask for in these parts.

When you all live with, or know someone who's suffering from skin cancer or melanoma, then maybe you'll trust your doctor instead of conspiracy theories.

Back to the fragrance thread with me...[suicide]

ErnstLudwig
01-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Ökotest and Stiftung Warentest are good sources indeed (consumer orientented)

btw based on my knowledge my statements were scientifically correct, if you can point me to actual peer review publications that show other results I will consider them (Lancet, NEJM..).
I haven't said UV can't cause cancer, but as always in biology it's a matter of the dosage! Normal skin types can cope with some amount but if you overdo it UV can cause cancer. Same with smoking, it's bad no doubt, you increase your risk (if you don't stop until 30), but nevertheless it's not the case that everybody who smokes ends up with cancer...

And there is no dermatologist (to my knowledge) who says you have to buy 5+ products of pharma and beauty companies. It always depends on your skin and your problems/symptoms, then he suggests some products and you have to test them to see if they are actually good for you...

Generally I would say:
-Washing: yes! water or (mild!) detergent, why not multiple times a day if you feel "dirty"/sweaty? but please no makeup on sweat
-use a re-oiling solution to compensate loss of lipids because of the washing, should contain no perfumes because of potential irritation of the skin and allergies (even if you have no known allergies they can develop in later stages in life so why risk it)
-if you have to wash your hands quite often use some kind of barrier creme to prevent lipid loss

MetroBulotDodo
01-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Sunscreen

I've been told or read a lot of contradicting things about sunscreen - one thing in particular is that sunscreen with SPF > 35 is unnecessary.

I happen to work for months - and once two years - at 3500 meters, near-ish to the equator. Related to that, I was once sent to a dermatologist to get checked out for leprosy (TMI?!). I used the only appt I've ever had with a dermatologist to ask how to deal with all the annoying skin ailments I deal with. (She was pretty good - she took one look at my hands, which are very dry and creased and was able to tell that both eczema and hay fever run in my family. And yes, I am close to having the first and turned into a definite on the latter as of the last five years. Has anyone else here ever grown into or out of an allergy?)

The doctor told me never to go back to my field site without Neutrogena sun screen with 70+ SPF. (I *did* come back from 2 years in the field with *a lot* of freckles.)

Question: is there a high SPF sunscreen that doesn't feel and smell shitty on the face? This little detail has kept me from following those directions far too many times.

MBD

MetroBulotDodo
01-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Facial cleaning stuff/reviews

I really enjoy cleaning my face so I'll describe it here. Generally, I use whatever free stuff I've been given that year. For years, I'd been living off little jars of ReVive moisturizer (Moisturizing Renewal for night, Sensitif w/ 15 SPF for day), Shu Uemura toner, Face Sugar Scrub or Kiehls Dermotology Series for exfoliation stuff. I've been using Shu Uemura cleansing oil since university. At night, the dry Chicago air makes my skin feel miserable, so I use Revive Volumizing Serum. (My samples have lasted until I need to get new ones - I think the stuff is like $600 an ounce otherwise. Booooo. And stupid?)

This year, I got a bag of La Mer samples. What I've tried thus far is ok to very good, though I don't understand what the big deal is around their moisturizer. You're suppose to rub the stuff vigorously between your palms to release some suspended super secret "juice." The problem is that it doesn't feel especially great on my skin, but I do like their serum. I also splurged and bought a bottle of something called The Concentrate from La Mer only because my skin feels great in the morning when I put it on at night.

Now, I'm going through the bajillion or so little packs of Aesop samples I was given recently. I've just started. What little I've tried is good to really good although perhaps too expensive for merely "good" and fine. It's not as deeply moisturizing as I need, and one or two things I sampled -- in particular, "Fabulous Face Oil" -- smelled like the co-op where my family shopped when I was a kid. The one where you could buy salt licks for your cows. (No, not a good smell.)

That said, the things by Aesop that smell good smell amazing (especially one of their oils diffused over a candle.) Ultimately, aroma-therapeutic potential is not what I care about most, if at all, where skin care is involved. (Minimal and thoughtful packaging on the other hand...I will admit to being a sucker.) My favorite item in their product line, and also a "best-in-class," is a Rosehip Seed Lip Balm that comes in a squeezable tube. (I've tried many: Jo Malone, Natura Bisse, Revive, Pangaeia Organics, Kiehls, Burts Bees to give a few. Aesop is my clear favorite of those.) At $13 with free shipping from Barneys, (http://www.barneys.com/Rosehip-Seed-Lip-Crea m/00505009683624,default,pd.html?cgid=BEAUT01) it's also affordable.

I'm trying a Vitamin C exfoliating scrub that I bought from a Russian facialist only because we talked about Russian film throughout the treatment. (It was the 3rd facial I've had in my life!) Question: is Vitamin C important/good for skin?

MBD

MetroBulotDodo
01-26-2012, 03:56 PM
apologies in advance for the length - and so early in the year!

Serge Lutens: the only makeup I've ever cared for, aside from the band.

Being continuously sleep deprived I *am* getting dark circles under my eyes. I've never worn much makeup save eyeliner. If I bought makeup, it was always on a whim, and I never did much with any of it but "play" on occasion. Recently, though, my Serge Lutens guy showed me the (newly available in the states) SL makeup line, and I am now bonkers over it. I mean, I threw away much of what I've accumulated over half a lifetime of "playing" with makeup, and I replaced it all with a small kit that covers nearly all the makeup I could possibly need.

Here it my set with what I consider a reasonable object to use for size comparisons around these parts -- an Ann feather necklace for scale:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6766867647_67478e4d5a_z.jpg
(L to R: two water based lip tints, lipstick, Quant-a-Soi makeup base for dark circles/blemishes, potted kohl liner w/ application pen with two tip shapes, finishing powder that I sometimes use in place of foundation, the only eye color palette offered in the SL line.)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6766866785_c6e0b6f842_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7026/6766867205_5c797fc8d8_z.jpg

What I love about his line is its thoughtful packaging and the confidence and decisiveness with which he edited the offerings. (A little bit of control freak there?) There is only one blush color for example, one set of colors for the eyes and only one kohl eyeliner in a pot. (http://www.barneys.com/Kohl-Eye-Liner/00470905000137,default,pd.html?q=serge%20lutens)

Lipstick/lipstain

The water-based lip tints (http://www.barneys.com/Water-Lip-Color/00505012106837,default,pd.html) were extraneous purchases for me, but I don't usually wear lipstick so I felt that they could serve as a reasonable compromise. You can wear the water-based lip tint alone or layer it under or over the lipstick, in my case to change it from red-red to a red-orange or a berry red similar to Chanel's Vamp. Modular.

Foundation

I hate liquid foundation, and there no detestable liquid foundation to be found in this line. With that alone, he wins. You use the quant-a-soi base, whose texture and feel is magnificent, under the eye and to cover blemishes. You then brush and "set" the powder foundation over it. It stays in place all day - no fuss whatsoever, and most important to me, you can't feel it. (If you like, you can get the finishing powder for touch ups - I did get it because I hate the idea of touching up with more foundation.)

Money/the buzzkill/what is best to buy first? how to get the most for least?

It's not cheap: if you bought an "essential" set, as refills where they're available (foundation powder, lipstick, makeup base, eye palette which only comes with the compact, kohl liner), it would cost around $500 w/ tax. (Based on how much I actually wear makeup, most of it would last one to three years before I have to replace something, which is awesome.) For what I think are the must-haves of the line (kohl, foundation powder, quant a soi makeup base), I estimate you'd pay ~ $230 + tax. It was worth it for me to get rid of the little things I've accumulated over the years and to replace it with a perfectly curated and minimal set -- or that's how I justified the (still mind-numbingly painful) cost.

The eyeshadow and foundation compacts, as well as the lipstick, are refillable. The also don't appear to scratch. Since I don't touch up with more foundation, and thus don't need to carry it around, I bought the foundation powder as a refill (sans compact) to save $$$.

The line is sold only at Barneys in the US. The guy I go to is one of the top SL experts in the US - PM if you want his email address. He'll definitely take care of you where fragrance/color samples are concerned, get your colors right, work with your budget, etc.

And no, I don't get free Serge makeup (I wish!) I am a true fan girl and my enthusiasm overflow-th, per usual. It seems obvious if you're going to pay that much for anything, you should be talking to the best there is - i.e., my guy - for advice. Also, someone recently told me of a really disappointing, lackluster experience at the SL counter/Barneys NYC. Not at those prices you shouldn't!

MBD

ErnstLudwig
01-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Has anyone else here ever grown into or out of an allergy?

Well my hay fever got better after puberty (without allergen-desensitising); sometime between the age of 18 and 24 I developed a light cat hair allergy; college of mine extreme form against mice remains; my grandpa against platinum… a lot is possible.
General theory is that exposure with allergens during childhood (kids eating "dirt") prevents development/predisposition of/for allergies, that is why the number of people with allergies have so rapidly exploded in the century of the "clean" cities.

I *did* come back from 2 years in the field with *a lot* of freckles.

Sunscreen only blocks the UV spectrum, you still get exposed to high doses of visible light and certain skin types react in that way (possible solution: burka [cool])

Question: is Vitamin C important/good for skin?

"Ascorbic Acid was a photoprotectant when applied to mice and pig skin before exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. The inhibition of UV-induced suppression of contact hypersensitivity was also noted" (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16154915)

Meaning = like sunscreen; in any other way? Nope.
Vitamin C has a function as an antioxidant, but obviously only in cells that are alive (meaning you have to take it up via the food). The skin has a nice layer of dead cells (epidermis) and they prevent penetration from the outside, which makes sense because other bacteria, microorganisms, and toxins could enter as well…
Btw. vitamin C is nothing special that you have to take actively in masses (like Linus Pauling suggested) since it's very widely used as a food preservative.

kirie
01-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Has anyone else here ever grown into or out of an allergy?

yes. There's a school of thought that your immune system will overhaul every 7-11 years, and you may acquire or lose an allergy (or multiple ones).

my body has worked on an approximate 9 years schedule. at 18 I was diagnosed with celiac disease (having never had a problem with gluten before in my life.. I dropped 20 pounds out of NOWHERE).

I also acquired allergies to several preservatives and synthetic chemicals- any sulphites in foods, MSG, SLS in shampoos/soaps. I am also no longer able to wear silver or eat milk proteins (casein/whey).

conversely, I lost my nickel allergy, seasonal allergies (pollen/hay fever no longer destroys my life from march to september) and an allergy to watermelon.

I seem to recall a similar thing happening to me when I was 9-10 (allergy shift), but I couldn't tell you what specific allergies I had.. Just that I had to go to an allergy specialist for 6 months.

our bodies do very strange things.

coccodrillo
02-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I cleanse only at nite. In the a.m. I spritz La Roche Posay thermal water and use a Bakel lite gel exfoliator + Found moisturizer + sunscreen.

At nite I cleanse using products from Joelle Ciocco + Bakel. Cleansing only at nite has really helped my skin be balanced - no more problems with overly dry or oily areas and congestion.

Makeup - I use Christopher Drummond Beauty - foundation + concealer + eyeshadows + mascara. I have Serge Lutens lipstick + foundation - but have found the Christopher Drummond a better texture. Great color range and excellent for sensitive skin. That said - I still love my SL lipstick[wub]

genevieveryoko
04-06-2012, 09:06 PM
has anyone tried the odacite skincare line? the concept of "fresh" products with no preservatives sounds very appealing but i wonder if it even matters at all.

Rosenrot
04-06-2012, 09:46 PM
yes. There's a school of thought that your immune system will overhaul every 7-11 years, and you may acquire or lose an allergy (or multiple ones).

That explains why I suddenly developed an allergy to prawns at the age of 9. Before then I was completely fine but now when I eat a large amount (yes I'm a nutcase who can eat about 1kg of them in one sitting), I'll get rashes on just my face, nowhere else. The idea that the rashes occur in such a specific location puzzles me.

Verdandi
04-12-2012, 04:44 PM
has anyone tried the odacite skincare line? the concept of "fresh" products with no preservatives sounds very appealing but i wonder if it even matters at all.

I haven't tried it but I don't believe in this 'all natural is always better for you' propaganda. A lot of their products contain lavender, which is a well known skin irritant. I have super sensitive skin and a lot of natural skin care breaks me out like crazy.

Can anyone here recommend a good foundation for sensitive skin? I never really used it but with age my skintone has become a bit uneven and I would like to try wearing foundation that does not look caked on.
I am weary of going to a make up counter since all they ever suggest to me is 'something that will enhance your glow' (thank you, I don't want to look like a disco ball) or make me look like Cruella de Vil.

galia
04-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Dr Hauschka's face powder is good, very light. might not be enough to conceal actual blemishes, but it evens out the skin tone nicely and leaves a good matte finish

coccodrillo
04-13-2012, 02:29 AM
Christopher Drummond Beauty is excellent for buildable coverage that looks very natural. The line has a concealer, foundation and powder compact - so there are options for however much coverage you need on a given day.

genevieveryoko
04-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Can anyone here recommend a good foundation for sensitive skin? I never really used it but with age my skintone has become a bit uneven and I would like to try wearing foundation that does not look caked on.
I am weary of going to a make up counter since all they ever suggest to me is 'something that will enhance your glow' (thank you, I don't want to look like a disco ball) or make me look like Cruella de Vil.

i really like the jane iredale line, which is all mineral based. i actually started breaking out less since i started using it.

i'm not sure i believe in the natural skincare hype either, although my beliefs aren't really that informed. i'm particularly skeptical about this whole antioxidant thing. can it really make much of a difference to apply antioxidants to the skin? shouldn't it be much more beneficial to just eat more antioxidants?

savant
04-14-2012, 12:22 AM
hey ladies, a bit off topic here as im a male

My skin is oily but i wash this everyday. I think its naturally oily but not extremely

Anything else I can do about it ?

Been using Shiseido face wash to wash it

galia
04-14-2012, 05:52 AM
you probably wash it with something that's too abrasive, causing the skin to overcompensate by producing even more oil.
try a less agressive wash + a tonic or mineral water of some sort. You will feel like you're not clean at first but you skin shoud reajust in a few days / weeks and be much less oily.
this has happened to a few of my girlfriends, not sure how it translates to mens skins but it can't be too different. the girls actually stopped washing their faces with water altogether, it's the new fad in France but it worked really well for some of them. a dermatologist should recommend a good regimen

Verdandi
04-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions! I will try them and hope that something works for me.

genevieveryoko, here is a pretty good overview of what antioxidants can do at the moment.
http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2008/13.7/2.html
However, the claims of the cosmetic industry are atrocious.

cowsareforeating
07-14-2012, 12:17 AM
looking for something that will reduce pore size esp in the t zone. and something to cleanse mid day since i work in a dirty environment.

also
anti-wrinkle stuff for around the eyes. i have combination skin but im not too dry or too oily so rather too light than too strong

thanks!

Verdandi
07-14-2012, 08:52 AM
There is no topical treatment that can actually reduce the size of pores. All some of the creams can do is to reduce the appearance for a short time.
You may want to look into products containing Retin-A that will also help with fine lines around the eye area. But don't use it if you have sensitive skin and always wear sunscreen with it.

I personally don't think one needs a special cream for the eyes. If you have a good moisturizer with SPF (a lot of eye creams don't have SPF) you can use it all over your face.

TheDivinitus
07-15-2012, 12:50 AM
If pores look enlarged, more likely it's inflamed, swollen skin giving that 'illusion'. Causes - pretty much anything, not only aggressive cosmetics, food stress and natural predispositions to trigger mild rosacea (notabene often mistaken for acne). I would suggest derm appointment to prescribe appropriate treatment. It could be Finacea or Tretinoin in lower concentration (ask for water based formulas, as gel is much easier tolerated.) For cleaning, 10% glycolic acid.

As far as makeup, personally I refuse using any foundation, powder or concealer so I don't own any.... But lipsticks, another story...

genevieveryoko
07-15-2012, 12:25 PM
As far as makeup, personally I refuse using any foundation, powder or concealer so I don't own any.... But lipsticks, another story...

well your skin always looks amazing in your pictures! may i ask you what your skin care routine is? or what your secret is? ;)

as far as pore reduction is concerned, most retinol products claim to reduce pore size in about 8 weeks. not sure if that's really true though, as i just started using one.

i've found kiehl's rare earth pore minimizing lotion to actually be successful at reducing the appearance of pores. however, it doesn't contain spf, so i have to use one on top of it, though i'd prefer not to have to layer on a bunch of products.

TheDivinitus
07-17-2012, 06:34 AM
well your skin always looks amazing in your pictures! may i ask you what your skin care routine is? or what your secret is? ;).

The whole routine is just 2 prescription creams (1 moisturizer @ morning, and 1 corrective @ evening.)

For any resistant sunspots or redness (i/e "broken capillaries") in-office laser treatments.

fncyths
07-17-2012, 11:25 AM
also
anti-wrinkle stuff for around the eyes. i have combination skin but im not too dry or too oily so rather too light than too strong

thanks!

I had a girlfriend that turned me onto Dr. Hauschka (http://www.drhauschka.com/). I use their eye cream and facial cleanser.

I've used REN (http://www.renskincare.com/c/facial-skincare_eyes) for a few years as well and love their product line

@Divinitus > your blog is beautiful! xx[wub]

TheDivinitus
07-17-2012, 03:16 PM
@Divinitus > your blog is beautiful! xx[wub]

Thank you [smile]

Patroklus
09-23-2012, 03:11 PM
How do I apply metallic eyeshadow without looking like I lost a fight to it?

rider
09-23-2012, 09:11 PM
As subtlety aa possible. I've put a dab either in the inside corner or the bottom edge of my eye when going for it...

prenouveau
10-28-2012, 10:03 PM
apologies in advance for the length - and so early in the year!

Serge Lutens: the only makeup I've ever cared for, aside from the band.

MBD

I know it's been a while since you posted but this line looks great. How well does the kohl liner last? Everything smudges on me, I have deep set eyes, so I am curious...and is the little applicator brush in the picture for the eyeliner? Is it a sponge tip?

rider
10-29-2012, 08:03 AM
hi, perhaps i can add some insight. mbd, turned me onto serge lutens makeup about a year ago. through the years, i've tried many brands as most of us have...
i started with quant a soi base and was so impressed i moved onto the powder foundation, his new blush, eye comb mascara (truly the best mascara ever invented!!!) and lastly the kohl eyeliner in black. i use my own brush, a pointed tip one, and put a smudged line on the inner lower rim, the stuff doesnt move, stays in place all day. i also use a swab of powder foundation to set it.
hope that helps
once again thanks for mbd for introducing me to a brand that i will never stray from.

prenouveau
10-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks! I'll go to Barney's and check it out next time I get paid [smile]

missalfetta
10-30-2012, 07:32 PM
i love creme de la mere moisturising creme and SKII facial treatment essence. it leaves my skin bright and smooth.

severin
11-02-2012, 06:28 PM
How do I apply metallic eyeshadow without looking like I lost a fight to it?

i thought looking like you lost a fight to *anything* was the appeal of metallic eyeshadow, though ?

MetroBulotDodo
11-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Hey - if any of you guys are interested in the skincare line that Rider and I (and other of us are using) along with the Serge Lutens line -- it's near impossible to get samples of that but he may send samples to people I recommend -- get in touch with me. LIKE NOW.

I'm going to Barneys right now and am going to pick up some things since I haven't left my apartment for 3 weeks now -- I seriously need it. Send me your addresses and if I get it while I'm there *and add what you're interested in - I'll have him get in touch or send stuff.

He's in incredible professional. And yes, I pay for the stuff. A lot.

And it is completely worth it.

MBD

Ladidums
02-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Do you all prefer liquid foundations, tinted moisturisers, compact powder foundation or loose powder foundation and why?

I'm having the worse luck with foundations although I've only used liquid foundations and tinted moisturisers thus far. I've only been using those with a sheer coverage (Koh Gen Do's Aqua foundation and Chanel's Aqua Vitalumiere) and either applied with a beauty blender or fingers, they still appear fake and mask like.

I must say I don't use a primer because sillicones make me break out.

Any suggestions?

fadetogrey
02-24-2013, 01:08 PM
(Combo to Dry skin opinion)

I prefer liquid or tinted moisturizer (I use Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Moisture foundation usually) with concealer.

I think the key to making it look not like a mask is to only apply it where you need it, instead of all over the face. With the moisture foundation it's pretty impossible to make it look like a mask, though. If you need to apply it all over the face, I find that bringing colour to the cheeks does wonders in making it not look a mask.

I've also found great success using Clarins' Beauty Flash Balm as a primer- it feels moisturizing, doesn't have that silicone feel (hate that too) and somehow makes skin look more alive. I apply the foundation before the balm has dried.

rider
02-25-2013, 02:02 PM
another vote for powder foundation. the more sheer the better for me.
i'm a convert to serge lutens, thanks to the recommendation of mbd and i've never looked back. on my second and third refills for the entire line which has never happened to me before.

galia
02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm looking to change mascara brands. I've been using YSL for a while now, but have become less satisfied with it recently. A few questions about Lutens:
1. Does it smudge easily / is it waterproof?
2. How hard is it to clean? I have very sensitive eyes, so it needs to come off fairly easily. I use olive oil as a makeup remover; it's fairly effective but won't dilute anything. I can't use any chemicals on my eyes.
3. What type of coverage does it give? Thin elegant lashes or slightly caked on thick existentialist lashes?
4. About how much does it cost?

Sorry about the questionnaire. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

As for foundation, I really love the YSL Teint Touche Eclat liquid foundation. Great coverage, and once it has set for a few minutes it looks like I'm not wearing foundation at all. Been getting lots of compliments on my complexion since I've started using it. Just dab some sheer loose powder on top for a matte finish, but it doesn't give too much shine

Dane
02-25-2013, 02:40 PM
his mascara is 45 euros, and comes in 3 varieties (waterproof, non, and a clear-coloured if I'm not mistaken). I'll let the pros tell you how it wears as I'm a boy who doesn't wear mascara.

rider
02-25-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm looking to change mascara brands. I've been using YSL for a while now, but have become less satisfied with it recently. A few questions about Lutens:
1. Does it smudge easily / is it waterproof?
2. How hard is it to clean? I have very sensitive eyes, so it needs to come off fairly easily. I use olive oil as a makeup remover; it's fairly effective but won't dilute anything. I can't use any chemicals on my eyes.
3. What type of coverage does it give? Thin elegant lashes or slightly caked on thick existentialist lashes?
4. About how much does it cost?

Sorry about the questionnaire. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

As for foundation, I really love the YSL Teint Touche Eclat liquid foundation. Great coverage, and once it has set for a few minutes it looks like I'm not wearing foundation at all. Been getting lots of compliments on my complexion since I've started using it. Just dab some sheer loose powder on top for a matte finish, but it doesn't give too much shine

hi gaila,
serge lutens mascara has two application options composed of the same formula, a comb and a brush. the comb goes on very smooth and natural, virtually no clumping and the brush gives a thicker application. i hesitate to recommend the brand to you though, because the reason i love it is it doesnt move, i mean never, no smudging no matter if you swim, or hike or anything active. truthfully, its amazing... it doesnt budge but that may be the drawback for you because the only way to remove it is with waterproof eye makeup remover. i dont think olive oil will remove it (i'll try this method for you tonight [smile]). for me, its the mascrara i searched my entire youth for and for $65 i only need to buy two a year and i gladly dish that out for a miracle.

edit: i just read dane's post and i wasnt aware of the other formulations but perhaps mbd can help or you can call bryce at barneys chicago and ask, he's very helpful and knows the line inside out.

galia
02-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks a lot for both your answers. I'll se if MDB has anything to add, otherwise I'll just pop into the SL store when I have the time.
I like that is doesn't budge, as I hate smudging, but the makeup removal thing might be a problem indeed. If you do end up trying my method tonight, please let me know how it went! Ahah
It's very sweet of you to offer to crash test it, much appreciated

rider
02-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Gaila, I forgot you are in Paris and you can go to the SL boutique. please let me know if you have a chance to try the Gardenia perfume Une voix noire he recently released.

and...drum roll...you have made me a convert...yes, the olive oil works and i'm happy to report it removed more in one swipe, as well as being gentler then the prepackaged waterproof removers. thank you for the suggestion!

galia
02-26-2013, 10:10 AM
GREATEST NEWS EVER
Olive oil is the best makeup remover I've ever tried. I don't even need to moisturize after, except when it's cold

I also recommend honey as a face cleaner. it has natural anti-ageing properties and it's much more pleasant than anything I have every tried. (now you all know what a dirty hippie I truly am)

Ladidums
02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Rider and MBD, I'll just let both of you know that you're pretty much the reason why my bank account is smaller and a package of serge's foundation and primer is on its way to me now.

Also, Bryce has been very helpful and offered to send me samples. So yay overall.

BTW, rider and MBD, what are your shades in Serge Lutens compares to other popular foundations? Also, how do you put them on? Granted, my skin needs more coverage but I rather have bad skin than look like I'm wearing foundation.

Galia:I've used olive oil as well but when it comes to mascara, I rarely stray from my japanese favourites. Try "Kiss Me Heroine Make Long and Curl" mascara. Don't let the stupid name bother you. There're fibres in it and you do need to change it every 3 months or so cos it dries out quickly but it's amazing. I've got short straight almost nonexistent asian lashes and they're very good for me. One coat for normal, more for existential lashes(I like your description). Kiss Me Heroine also sells a mascara remover which you'll need if you're using this mascara. It looks like another tube of mascara. You sweep it on and let it marinate for 1-2 minutes before taking it off with a cotton pad.But I can probably wear this mascara and go swimming and nothing will happen.

MetroBulotDodo
02-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Hey all, sorry I've been away. Work, sick, work, etc.

Ladidums,

So glad that you did give Bryce a call.

I've been using the Serge color line and the Dr. Sebagh line for almost two years now so I can tell you about some edits I made to slim my routine down even more.

First I should note: I'm basically a makeup noob. I don't have the patience to spend too much time with it. So the routine I describe below takes much less time than it appears through description.

Foundation/Skin

1) Serge Lutens Powder Foundation
2) Serge Lutens Finishing Powder
3) Serge Lutens Blush in #2

I will never come near liquid foundation ever in my life. Nor primer, which makeup artists have put on me against my will. I hate the feeling of all that stuff. It's powder foundation henceforth. As far as my foundation color goes -I bought one during the summer (darker) - O 20 and then another one after winter set in -- Blanc. I also have the finishing powder in Powder Pink, which I didn't understand at first. When I asked what the point of it was, Bryce said -- and I'd never bothered to think too much about this before, but it makes much sense -- that I wouldn't want to layer foundation powder on all day. The finishing powder is for light touch ups.

Also, none of the powders break when you inevitably drop your case over and over again as I do. (Shu Uemura -- so guilty.)

In the interest of saving a buck or two, I bought the compact powders in their refill forms ($80). I bought the finishing powder in a compact ($160), which is what I take out with me. I just use the sponge for touch ups. I have the blush in the color #2, which Serge finally added as a second color. Before I got onto this, I didn't know or care about brushes, tools, whatever. But now I apply the foundation on in the morning using this brush in a circular motion. Make sure to get a bit on your brush and really spread it across your skin. The foundation is very fine -- hence the sheer quality. (Some mothers don't teach daughters about makeup, or wear foundation, which is cool, of course.)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8105/8512352150_162e4edcf3_n.jpg

It's called the Nars Bronzer Brush ($50). Evidently, if you just sweep it on your skin, you're just brushing the powder off your face.

Changes:

I've been using a line that Bryce represents called Dr Sebaghs. I blind purchased it because I trust Bryce that much. BLIND PURCHASED A $400 OF SUPREME MAINTENANCE YOUTH SERUM. That is insane, I know, but it changed my skin drastically. Basically, my pores are invisible and the bags under my eyes from working 18 hours a day are gone. GONE.

Day moisturizer: Dr Sebagh Creme Vital ($130). This was something I bought before being introduced to the line. I didn't get it until I used it with the serum. Now I use it in the day and use...

Night moisturizer: Dr Sebagh Supreme Night Secret ($350)

I alternate how I clean my skin. I use a perfume vaporizer and spray Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Rose or Acqua di Maggio on my face. I don't wash with water. Then I use a cotton pad to wipe the tonic off. You can use the tonic to iron your sheets (!). In the summer, I carry it around in my bag in the 10 mL atomizer just to spray on the back of my neck when I get hot. In Italy, you can buy the 500 ML bottles for something like $25 or $30 dollars and then you get VAT off. In the US, the same bottles are $55, so I stock up after Fashion Week. I love how this cleans my skin -- and because my makeup is minimal, it seems like its enough.

Every two weeks, or once a month, I use the Dr Sebagh Deep Exfoliating Mask ($115). It's strong. There's a sensitive skin formulation, too. I've changed my mind and decided that if you're going to try one thing blind from this line -- this is the killer product.

As a result of that skin regime, I no longer use the Serge Lutens Quant-a-soi to cover the puffy dark things under the eye. Don't need to. If there are hints of bags, I use a sponge and apply the foundation in the lighter color under my eyes. Done. Subtracted (-$80).

Eye color I still have no clue about how to apply eye color so that I don't look like I'm on weekend release from a mental institution. I also like getting ready in 5 minutes. Subtracted the Serge Lutens Eye Palette (-$160).

Eyeliner: I use the Serge Luten's Kohl pot with the little brush with sponge applicator, but I have a natural brush for use at home. You don't really need to reapply it during the day. It stays in place. I'm usually in a rush though so I just use this Chanel eyeliner ($20) that I've used for 15 years or something that has a smudge tip at the end. Then I can leave the Kohl out of my bag. (optional for me. subtract -$80)

As for colors, I got a couple of water lip colors and lipsticks for fun. I'm not a big lipstick person.

For your pleasure, I'm going to pull an Oprah and show you my skin without makeup after having used the Dr Sebaghs for a while. I don't love doing this but this is how much I love you guys. [tongue]

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8512785253_3414324da6.jpg
(my cheek is just that pink, i swear)

Bryce Faulkner
Product Specialist : Serge Lutens, Dr. Sebagh, T Le Clerc & Byredo Cosmetics

312-587-1700
He is off Sunday and Monday.

Barneys Chicago - they ship of course. ask for any samples you'd like, esp from the lines above, fragrances included. you'll have to mention my name, which I don't want in the public, so I guess say MBD.

Also, I stock up during Barneys regular cosmetic bag days, and Bryce gives me three or four bags of free stuff. The $1500 of stuff keeps me for two years - no joke, with just a resupply of the Youth Serum necessary.(yes it is a lot of money, but I suppose I'll just not have children after all)

I am not a shill whatsoever -- as the others here who I've sent attested, the stuff rules.

MBD

cowsareforeating
02-27-2013, 01:36 AM
holy sh*t that is noticeable. i wonder if that will fix my pores too...

laika
02-27-2013, 08:22 AM
beautiful, mbd. i might let rider drag me to the apothecary at barneys after all.

Ladidums
02-27-2013, 11:15 AM
MBD: I know what you mean about fuss free. You know how people talk about putting your game face on? I feel like makeup should be like that. Better version of myself. People shouldn't realise that I have makeup on. And it should be quick. Oh and don't break me out of course.

But seriously, you look like you're late20s/early30s so the products are really impressive!

Okay, let me see if I got this correct.

Finishing powder: sponge provided.
Foundation: Nars bronzer brush in a buffing motion.

What about your old quant a sol and new blusher?

MetroBulotDodo
02-27-2013, 11:59 AM
But seriously, you look like you're late20s/early30s so the products are really impressive!

But I *am* in my 20s! I'm aiming for dewy teen skin! [cool]

Finishing powder: sponge provided.
Foundation: Nars bronzer brush in a buffing motion.

What about your old quant a sol and new blusher?

Quant-a-soi -- you dab with a finger or a small disposable sponge?
Blush: I use the brush that comes in the case. Sometimes I use a Nars Yachiyo brush that I bought mostly because it looks cool.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8238/8512736895_2e308a0fbb_n.jpg

It was $50 so, not a huge deal. And none of us have ever bought something solely because it looked cool, right?

Basically, I want as few tools and bottles possible around. Unfortunately, I am a major sucker for hotel amenities and samples -- the cosmetic bags they give during the "beauty bag" specials are kinda hard to resist even if I rarely use the products.

MBD

p.s. cowsareforeating Before going straight to that super expensive serum, I would recommend that you get yourself into a good cleaning regime for a week or two. Bryce would have ideas...

fadetogrey
02-27-2013, 12:38 PM
I loved hearing about your whole skincare/makeup routine MBD! Will check out some of those products.

Is powder foundation suitable for dry skin? I used to use a powder mineral foundation when my skin used to be oilier, but I haven't tried it since.

rider
02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
i'm probably a better example of what the products do for mature skin but i wont be putting my kisser up here any time soon. sorry. you'll have to take my word for the fact that the true beauty miracle isnt a serum but retin a (prescrip strength as strong as you can take it).

i tried the youth serum sample and it seemed impractical along with the retin a regiment, so i passed on this. however, the mask is out of this world effective for an exfoliating and skin booster product.

so my regiment is...

skincare:
olive oil eye makeup remover [thanks gaila [heart]]
YES cucumber wipes as a cleansing product
retina a (at night)
(daily) Revive moisture renewal as a moisturizer (Dr. Sebagh high maintenance cream on weekends)

makeup:
Serge Lutens Quant-à-soi
Serge Lutens powder foundation I20 (bryce matched my skintone over the phone...amazing talent) applied with a big puffy chanel powder brush
Serge Lutens blush #2 (most days)
Serge Lutens comb on mascara (everyday)
Serge Lutens Kohl eyeliner (some days)
Serge Lutens Lip colors Lèvres en boîte (some days)

my favorite eye makeup brushes are old grumbacher brushes i have from my oil painting days.

takes all of 5 minutes

laika, that would be very fun to do. look forward to it. [heart]

rider
02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
I loved hearing about your whole skincare/makeup routine MBD! Will check out some of those products.

Is powder foundation suitable for dry skin? I used to use a powder mineral foundation when my skin used to be oilier, but I haven't tried it since.

yes, def.

MetroBulotDodo
02-27-2013, 01:09 PM
yes, def.

/\ I would add so long as you clean/exfoliate (on occasion), (tone on occasion ), (serum-optional) and important: use quality moisturizer.

Enjoy all!

MBD

cjbreed
02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
thanks guys this was super helpful
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkb41zeISZfTqHbBIE064LnBFQJVOOJ C7jmqUJE7tv5yrCS8QUww

teehee.

um...i'll show myself out

laika
02-27-2013, 03:27 PM
But I *am* in my 20s! I'm aiming for dewy teen skin! [cool]

wow, i had no idea. you are remarkably accomplished academically for someone so young...and to have such ovely skin in spite of it! [tongue]

rider, i will def look forward to having the company. make-up in that context scares me. [blush]

MetroBulotDodo
02-27-2013, 04:46 PM
thanks guys this was super helpful

teehee.

um...i'll show myself out

Interloper! Last I checked, you are anything but metrosexual (consider that a major compliment!

MBD

lionlimb
03-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Any suggestions?

I hate the mask look too.

Typically, I start with SPF 60 La Roche Posay, but that is silicone city, and it's not necessary for the below to work:

I dab a bit of Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer under my eyes, then put a blot of it in my palm, mix with water, then pat the liquid into my skin. If you get the proportions right (you don't want it *too* wet), it's perfect. I have rosacea, and it cuts any redness and smooths out skin tone, as well as keeping my skin hydrated, but it doesn't look masky / chalky / heavy at all. I have super dry skin and like the dewy sort of look.

ETA: If you're not quite feeling the thought of making up palmfuls of tinted moisturizer soup, I've also found that a good misting with rosewater after making up gives a dewy / natural finish.

Either way, the addition of water seems to help the tint settle into the skin, rather than sitting on top and giving the mask effect.

fadetogrey
03-04-2013, 07:35 PM
If any of the NY'ers have a recommendation for a knowledgeable Serge Lutens makeup SA at Barney's, I would appreciate it!

MetroBulotDodo
03-05-2013, 05:07 PM
/\

Rider is in the NY-region and uses Bryce -- trust me, he's worth going through, and he will *take care of you.* I've heard many stories of people being disappointed when going through the NYC counter...

I will say for example, that if you try a cosmetic, and don't like it, and you went through me I could easy put in a word so that you could return or exchange it. When you establish a relationship with him, he'll probably do that for you anyway...

I really recommend it. (He has a lot more authority than the usual Barneys counter SA -- he works directly for Serge Lutens and has done so for more than a dozen years.)

MBD

MetroBulotDodo
03-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Ladidums -

any word on your makeup?

MBD

fadetogrey
03-05-2013, 06:31 PM
/\

Rider is in the NY-region and uses Bryce -- trust me, he's worth going through, and he will *take care of you.* I've heard many stories of people being disappointed when going through the NYC counter...

I will say for example, that if you try a cosmetic, and don't like it, and you went through me I could easy put in a word so that you could return or exchange it. When you establish a relationship with him, he'll probably do that for you anyway...

I really recommend it. (He has a lot more authority than the usual Barneys counter SA -- he works directly for Serge Lutens and has done so for more than a dozen years.)

MBD

Thanks MBD,

I would, considering that I've not had great service in many Barney's beauty depts (Las Vegas has been the best), but having never tried SL before I really want to see it in person before I consider purchasing. I'll be visiting NYC next month so it will be my only chance. Maybe I'll just take a look and then give Bryce a call.

TheDivinitus
03-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Hi Rider, by "retin a" did you mean Retin-A the brand or in general, anything with tretinoin? Thanks.

rider
03-06-2013, 08:00 AM
^ i use generic tretinoin .05%. the big tube costs about $75 if i remember correctly at costco pharmacy and lasts me the year, which means comparitively to over the counter products with tretinoin in them the cost is measurably lower and the results are proven.

Ladidums
03-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Got the serge lutens foundation and quant a sol.

My face is darker and ruddier compared to my neck which is pretty much a medium to medium fair colour. In the pan, the foundation is pretty much a match for my neck colour but when put on my face, it makes my face looks grey! Is it just too much foundation? Or too light?

Edit to add: I use the sponge provided.

rider
03-06-2013, 10:53 AM
^ that's odd because if anything i would say the nature of the powder foundation is that its very sheer, but i always use a big brush to apply, that way i can layer areas that need a bigger dose and others barely anything.

can you call and ask advice from someone who knows the line and how it reacts to skin color? thats what i would do, especially for the $$$ you spent, bryce advice comes with the package.

sponges are a huge waste of product in my opinion but that shouldnt change the color.

galia
03-06-2013, 11:12 AM
isn't tretinoin quite rough on the skin though? I think I was prescribed it as a teenager and it made the skin on my face look like this:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lci7_uMqle8/TUKbWztvhNI/AAAAAAAATls/7iyIHtAltEY/terre%20dess%C3%A9ch%C3%A9e.jpg

Dane
03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
it can do that, but usually only temporarily until your skin adjusts. often people have a bad experience with it because they've started at too high a concentration, or got the wrong base (gel vs lotion).

just like any active, though, some people just don't tolerate it well. it's also possible to dilute it somewhat by applying a moisturizer right before you apply it.

Ladidums
03-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Rider: thanks! It never crossed my mind to ask Bryce. (DUH!)

Galia: you're correct. It does dry the skin and make it like that. You'll also need to commit to a pretty good sunscreen daily if you haven't. Even if it's gloomy and dark out. I can't take putting another layer of stuff on my face so I pretty much skip any retin-A thingy.

But if you can put in the effort, the key is constant and consistent hydration using a combination of emollients and humectants. You'll also need to build up to it. I started using a 0.05% gel twice a week at night many years ago and never really went beyond 4 days a week. Alas, too much work for me.

rider
03-06-2013, 01:04 PM
i have less of issue with retin a than i do with the serge lutens mask.
that is some strong stuff...5 minutes tops and olive drench afterwards but a week later i have a rosy glow.

Dane
03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
I read somewhere that there was no conclusive proof that stronger concentrations of R-A were more effective than weaker ones, so the .025% is a good starter.

Also, the alcohol content in the gel is known to be a harsher deliver system than the cream formulations, so that helps too.

I agree with Rider that it's better to use something with scientific proof behind it rather than spending $$$ on creams with lots of brand-backed ingredients. I'm old skool that way tho.

rider
03-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Dane, i meant to tell you the DVN scent is perhaps my favorite ever, and it lingers in waves. its strong at first, i have to spray about 8 inches away, but god is it alluring once it lays down...everything the man touches is so precisely perfect.

Dane
03-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Interesting...I'll have to head uptown to smell it...I honestly didn't have high hopes for it, but it seems to be getting good reviews all around.

galia
03-07-2013, 05:17 AM
I read somewhere that there was no conclusive proof that stronger concentrations of R-A were more effective than weaker ones, so the .025% is a good starter.

Also, the alcohol content in the gel is known to be a harsher deliver system than the cream formulations, so that helps too.

I agree with Rider that it's better to use something with scientific proof behind it rather than spending $$$ on creams with lots of brand-backed ingredients. I'm old skool that way tho.

But what will it do to the face of an adult? Fortunately, I don't have acne anymore, so why should I use it? What are the benefits for me? (genuine question, no sarcasm)

So far I've been using a night cream with tea-tree oil in it and it seems to have cleaned out most of the minor imperfections I still had. I haven't had a pimple since I started using it, but I guess I could stand to have smaller and clearer pores. Won't something as strong as retin a damage my skin and dry it out, thus making my skin age faster and wrinkle?

Dane
03-07-2013, 07:57 AM
it helps with wrinkles, sun damage, minimizes pore size, and basically normalizes cells, which helps in production and turn-over, as well as collagen retention.

as far as I know, it's the only scientifically proven topical preparation proven to do these things. problem is people have a hard time adapting to it, and waiting to see the results. some people think that unless you're seeing side effects (redness, peeling) that it's not strong enough, and eventually give up on it. it's not an overnight sort of thing, it takes several months to benefit from it.

it was initially approved as an acne medication, as you said, and works for that as well, but its uses have been broadened to longer it's been on the market.

galia
03-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Interesting, I might check it out... Dunno how easily it is to get in France tho. How long does it take for the skin to adapt?

Dane
03-07-2013, 08:52 AM
It would be by prescription, so ask your doctor/dermatologist.

At least a month. Varies depending on your skin resiliency, and if you follow the directions properly. There are lots of tips online for minimizing side effects.

galia
04-08-2013, 10:33 AM
I've been using the Serge Lutens mascara for a few weeks now, and it is the best decision I ever made. It doesn't smudge, ever, even when hiking and/or otherwise exercising. The only thing that bothers me is that I really have to layer it on to achieve the desired effect, so it takes me a little longer to get made up in the morning. But aside from this little drawback it's great! I can even rub my eyes and it stays put. next test is swimming with it...

rider
04-08-2013, 10:45 AM
^ i know, its the mascara you search your entire life for. they all promise but this one really delivers...

Dane
04-08-2013, 10:59 AM
almost makes me want to start wearing mascara.

have any of you tried eyelash extensions? my bestie has them (mink I think?) and they look incredible...very natural, but very noticeable. Obviously you can wear mascara anymore.

galia
04-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Never heard of that before. What's the process like, do you know?

Dane
04-08-2013, 07:34 PM
As far as I know, they're glued to your existing lashes, so they eventually grow out and fall off. They last about 3 months though I think. I could be wrong on all this.

You can also get a non-mink, much less expensive style too.

Castor
04-08-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm in the beauty biz and I have to say that the eyelash extensions has been quite the rage with my clientele and it looks amazing. Be prepared for monthly visits for "fill in" appointments that should be slightly less than what you spend on your initial visit. It does take time (an hour?) but the drama is worth it.

galia
04-09-2013, 04:25 AM
hmmm I'm going to look for pics

edit: pics creeped me out big time. I don't think this is for me... I invariably think before looks better than after (unless it's for a fashion shoot or music video)

http://m5.paperblog.com/i/32/327717/novalash-eyelash-extensions-an-update-plus-wh-L-UHKjTJ.jpeg

Dane
04-09-2013, 08:13 AM
that's a pretty extreme example...most look much more subtle, and I'm sure you can choose the extensions they apply, so you could pick something not too crazy.

galia
04-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Here I come again with a makeup question.
I'm very intrigued by BB creams. Are they really that great? Anyone has experience with them? info on the science behind it? brand recommendations?

I like the idea of having just one cream, instead of sunscreen + foundation

Dane
04-10-2013, 08:42 AM
BB is just a marketing term for tinted moisturizer...most have added iridescence to deflect flaws. Not saying there's anything wrong with them, but there also isn't anything revolutionary about them either.

Castor
04-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Here I come again with a makeup question.
I'm very intrigued by BB creams. Are they really that great? Anyone has experience with them? info on the science behind it? brand recommendations?

I like the idea of having just one cream, instead of sunscreen + foundation

They feel more like foundation with moisturizer. I think it would be difficult to get adequate moisture without putting on too much color. I think there is a reason those two products were separate to begin with, but I do believe in moisturizer with built in sunscreen.

Verdandi
05-15-2013, 01:54 PM
After having read all the rave reviews avout the Serge Lutens foundation powder I think I'll give it a try, but can someone help me with selecting the right colour? I would have to order online since there is no place that sells the Make Up line anywhere near me and I currently don't have the time for a trip to Berlin or Paris.

The one time I was at a MAC counter the salesperson told me I was a NW 15. I am ghostly pale without any yellow undertones. I would be really grateful if someone could offer advice.

Also, are the eyeshadows as good as everyone says? I didn't care much for the colours that were in the first palette but he has a new one out and those are the colours I wear on a regular basis. I am a bit baffled that they include these cheap sponge applicators.

rider
05-15-2013, 05:18 PM
After having read all the rave reviews avout the Serge Lutens foundation powder I think I'll give it a try, but can someone help me with selecting the right colour? I would have to order online since there is no place that sells the Make Up line anywhere near me and I currently don't have the time for a trip to Berlin or Paris.

The one time I was at a MAC counter the salesperson told me I was a NW 15. I am ghostly pale without any yellow undertones. I would be really grateful if someone could offer advice.

Also, are the eyeshadows as good as everyone says? I didn't care much for the colours that were in the first palette but he has a new one out and those are the colours I wear on a regular basis. I am a bit baffled that they include these cheap sponge applicators.

I can't recommend the eyeshadows beause I never tried them, I use Kevin Aucion, but the foundation powder I feel comfortable commenting on...def worth the trouble of finding the right color for your skin. Since you understand the difference between warm and cold tones why not call Bryce at Barney's and give him a try, I did and based on a phone call he matched me perfectly. Also, give the comb mascara a try, you won't be sorry [thumbup]

interest1
05-18-2013, 12:15 AM
http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/Special/18295942205802076_zg9O5LGy_f.jpg~original

but, seriously..

kobito
06-09-2013, 12:54 PM
almost makes me want to start wearing mascara.

have any of you tried eyelash extensions? my bestie has them (mink I think?) and they look incredible...very natural, but very noticeable. Obviously you can wear mascara anymore.

gals! i had eyelash extensions and it was terrible!!![wall]
i had it in Seoul last Dec, yes it looks nicer and make you looks more charming / lovely..... basically you don't need to apply any mascara and you are good to go.
HOWEVER!! it's really painful. [cry]you can actually feel the tension.. and it falls easily.... it also harm the real eyelashes too! [wall] i felt so bad to see those real one fall off........ and you gotta b very careful when you wash face...or rub your eyes.....
so i removed them like after 2 weeks or so!!! and i'll never do it again even it's free :(

interest1
06-09-2013, 01:36 PM
^ And from what I hear, you're lucky if they don't tear your own lashes out when you remove them. Apparently, they're rather addictive, so with each repeat application, your own become more brittle. Considering how slowly eyelashes grow, I consider them a bad risk.

An alternative: Latisse. It's an actual lash-growing liquid that you brush on your lash line morning and night. A good friend of mine is a medical aesthetician and gave me a bottle of it to try a couple of years ago. You know, like giving crack to an innocent.

The bottle is tiny, the stuff isn't cheap (clinical trial testing ain't cheap), but it does work. So well for some people that it looks like they've got fluffy spiders resting on their eyelids. [tongue]
It takes 6-8 weeks to reach full effect and you do need to have patience. No quick fix here. After your lashes grow the most that they'll grow, you can maintain your result by applying once a week. Therein lies the sell. Bu then, what beauty-enhancing product isn't guilty of the same M-O?

In the US it's available by prescription, but you don't need to go to a pharmacy for it as it is available at most reputable medical-grade spas.

I never did get 'tarantula lashes' with it (dammit), but I was pleasantly surprised at the results. Not having an expectation going in certainly helped.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/latisse_zpsc39f2ac4.jpg~original

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/latisse_model_zps2650fa77.jpg~original

kobito
06-09-2013, 03:26 PM
I think i paid someone to remove for me.. [cry][cry]
anyways i would like to get one to try when i hit US next time
is that any chance i can get it at Shopper's?
thxxxx for ur info [heart]

^ And from what I hear, you're lucky if they don't tear your own lashes out when you remove them. Apparently, they're rather addictive, so with each repeat application, your own become more brittle. Considering how slowly eyelashes grow, I consider them a bad risk.

An alternative: Latisse. It's an actual lash-growing liquid that you brush on your lash line morning and night. A good friend of mine is a medical aesthetician and gave me a bottle of it to try a couple of years ago. You know, like giving crack to an innocent.

The bottle is tiny, the stuff isn't cheap (clinical trial testing ain't cheap), but it does work. So well for some people that it looks like they've got fluffy spiders resting on their eyelids. [tongue]
It takes 6-8 weeks to reach full effect and you do need to have patience. No quick fix here. After your lashes grow the most that they'll grow, you can maintain your result by applying once a week. Therein lies the sell. Bu then, what beauty-enhancing product isn't guilty of the same M-O?

In the US it's available by prescription, but you don't need to go to a pharmacy for it as it is available at most reputable medical-grade spas.

I never did get 'tarantula lashes' with it (dammit), but I was pleasantly surprised at the results. Not having an expectation going in certainly helped.

[/CENTER]

interest1
06-09-2013, 05:21 PM
I think i paid someone to remove for me.. [cry][cry]
anyways i would like to get one to try when i hit US next time
is that any chance i can get it at Shopper's?
thxxxx for ur info [heart]

kobito - I don't know what Shopper's is. From what I understand, you can purchase the product at the type of day spas that offer services such as laser hair removal, etc, provided they are staffed by doctors or nurse practitioners (not dime-a-dozen corner shops that often employ under-trained personnel who double as the counter help).

I'm sure it's available online, but not exactly a product I'd go 'black market' for. Not worth the risk.

p.s. Please don't re-post images on the same page when quoting. (forum 101) [smile]

kobito
06-10-2013, 02:33 AM
kobito - I don't know what Shopper's is. From what I understand, you can purchase the product at the type of day spas that offer services such as laser hair removal, etc, provided they are staffed by doctors or nurse practitioners (not dime-a-dozen corner shops that often employ under-trained personnel who double as the counter help).

I'm sure it's available online, but not exactly a product I'd go 'black market' for. Not worth the risk.

p.s. Please don't re-post images on the same page when quoting. (forum 101) [smile]

ohhhh sorry! im a newbie here, didn't know abt it.. i will edit it later
i meant shoppers drug mart, but i guess they don't hv it then

ill search it online later [thumbup] i used a japanese one. heard it is very effective. however i had no patient to apply everyday! LOL maybe i will share this next time[heart][wub]

severin
06-12-2013, 10:44 PM
interest1 -- i remember from the original latisse advertisements one of the "possible side effects" is that it may permanently change eye color (specifically, blue and green eyes to brown). seems like quite the risk to take for those of us with lighter eye colors. though i wonder how often this actually happened in the clinical trials......

it was originally developed to treat cataracts i believe ?
imagine what sort of ad that would've been: "become less blind ! side effects include changing eye color and long feather lashes !" as the model bats her lashes and flies away......

ahn
06-14-2013, 11:04 PM
My eyelashes aren't super short but they're very fine. I just layer two or three different mascara brands with different brushes on my lashes each day. It's a bit of an annoying process but I'm shit at applying falsies, I've seen the negative effects of eyelash extensions on friends and am apprehensive about the eye-colour change rumour about Latisse to try anything more dramatic.

fadetogrey
06-15-2013, 05:55 PM
I've been more interested in these lash serums lately, but haven't tried one yet.

I read this about Latisse: "The most common side effect of using Lattise is an itching sensation in the eyes, dry eyes, and/or eye redness. This was reported in less than 4% of patients in the clinical studies. This usually lasted for a short period of time and resolved when Latisse was discontinued. Iris hyperpigmentation or darkening of eye color has been reported when bimatoprost solution is applied directly into the eye for the treatment of glaucoma. This side effect was not noted in the clinical studies of Latisse. While Latisse delivers only 5% of the dose of the bimatoprost glaucoma drop; there is still the potential for Latisse to cause iris hyperpigmentation. This side effect is likely to be permanent if it occurs.” So do dark eyed people not have to worry? Sounds like a rare side effect.

Has anyone ever tried RevitaLash?

severin
06-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Has anyone ever tried RevitaLash?

i have...kind of. i really know / knew nothing about it but someone gave it to me to try out (maybe they were dropping me a very unsubtle hint ?!). i don't wear mascara regularly enough though to have used it enough to see / experience any effect. i can say, though, that as a regular mascara my lashes looked quite magnificent the day i put some on, if i do say so myself.

RosaAndersen
06-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Facial cleanser and moisturizer are a daily part of my beauty care. I usually avoid make up except kohl and lip gloss.

Ladidums
06-21-2013, 01:49 AM
I've actually used latisse and tried eyelash extensions a couple of years ago and here's what I think.

Keep in mind I have stubby asian lashes to begin with so even 100% improvement on stubby can still be stubby.

Latisse: Good but not great. It did make my lashes longer but it also stained the area around my bottom lash line so it looked like I had some really awkward dark circles. Also, while the results were pretty dramatic up close, it took a long time of consistent applying BUT when you're standing at a normal distance, with mascara on, it wasn't that big a deal. Also doesn't make my lashes that much fuller.

Eyelash extensions: I went for it while it about 5-6 years back so things may have changed now. I also went for a more "normal" look. The results were FANTASTIC but the downsides were pretty bad. First, you have to be super careful around it. No rubbing your eyes, washing around it carefully, choose your makeup remover carefully etc. Also, they fall out and take your real lashes with them so half way through, you may end up looking very uneven. That happened to me and the lashes took a while to grow back. Also be very careful about who you choose because there were cases on the news where PEOPLE WENT BLIND FROM BAD EYELASH EXTENSIONS either through infection, chemical burns, or some other type of very unpleasant, very ugly, monkey business.

galia
06-25-2013, 05:17 AM
I'm looking for something to even out my compelxion, but that doesn't require strict makeup removal. I'm going on a 2-week trek at the end of august and I'm not supposed to carry too much useless stuff + not sure I will have the time/energy/available facilities for a good face washing regimen. However, I still want to look cute and maintain the illusion that I have great skin. Would a BB cream be ok to not wash off every single day? do you have any suggestions of something even better? (no foundation cream or powder obv)

gaborb
06-25-2013, 07:43 AM
I'd recommend a tinted moisturiser or a BB cream (pretty much the same thing) or a very light foundation like Chanel Vitalumiére Aqua (it'd probably disappear by the end of the day...) but I think you should definitely clean your face every day (well, preferably twice), maybe you could just pack a small bottle of La Roche Posay thermal water, it's pretty light or some cleansing wipes.

rider
06-25-2013, 07:48 AM
ive been using 3lab bb and its perfect for hot weather, riding and all, it doesnt budge. i dont feel layered with it on either because i just use a little bit and once it sinks in its not going anywhere. the handy little tube would be a plus for travel i would think.

have fun treking galia...

Verdandi
06-27-2013, 04:21 AM
I finally managed to get my hands on the Serge Lutens foundation. Sadly, we are not meant to be. The foundation itself is wonderful but there is just no match for my skintone. The SA recommended mixing to shades and even that didn't work out. The lightest one is too yellow and the one with pink undertones is way too dark.
So my quest for a light foundation that comes in very pale shades with no yellow undertones continues.

The eyeshadow palette and the mascara however are wonderful! Thanks a lot rider!

MetroBulotDodo
06-27-2013, 10:31 AM
I finally managed to get my hands on the Serge Lutens foundation. Sadly, we are not meant to be. The foundation itself is wonderful but there is just no match for my skintone. The SA recommended mixing to shades and even that didn't work out. The lightest one is too yellow and the one with pink undertones is way too dark.
So my quest for a light foundation that comes in very pale shades with no yellow undertones continues.

The eyeshadow palette and the mascara however are wonderful! Thanks a lot rider!

Question: Did you call the miracle worker Bryce at Barneys? If there as a problem with the color match, you should mention me and Rider and he'll be sure to replace it with a good match.

It's hard for me to understand how such nuanced shades could be so off. I've found that I could wear 4 or 5 Serge foundation shades without looking ridiculous -- hey, I don't know, I may be have been going out looking like I came straight off the CDG runway, but I *guess* I've looked ok.

Try the lip tints. I love them. I have all three -- I'm not a big fan of lipstick. It makes me look overmade up...

Good luck -- Bryce's number is in this thread if you don't have it.

MBD

Verdandi
06-27-2013, 11:10 AM
No, I didn't get them from Bryce, maybe I should have though. I was in Berlin for the weekend and there is a SL counter at the KaDeWe.
I went home with Blanc and I20.
The Blanc shade is kind of alright but too yellow. It makes me look sickly. I20 is too dark and even mixing the two doesn't quite work.
I usually do not wear foundation since I have good skin in general but I am almost 30 and my skin isn't the way it used to be five years ago (working night shifts and being on call shows the next day). I am really fair-skinned and slight discolorations show very easy so I would like to cover those up when I go out in the evenings.

MDB, I actually took a SL lipstick home with me in Mise a Mort, I don't wear lipstick very often but I love a good red. I was fascinated by the liptints but too chicken to try them out. How is the bluish-black one? Is it really blue on the lips?

galia
06-28-2013, 03:57 PM
For super fair skin with pink undertones, I recommend the YSL touche éclat pen/brosh thingy and the YSL teint touche éclat foundation. Take the "beige rosé" colour in the palest shade available, it's what I use and my skin is so porcelain I look like a daywalkin ghost most of the time (hope that trek will put some pink in my cheeks, but not getting my hopes up). The pen is great to conceal specific blemishes and for dark circles, and the foundation is the best and most natural-looking thing I've come across to even out a complexion while looking like you're wearing absolutely nothing.

ahn
06-30-2013, 06:17 AM
I'm quite fair skinned, I found NARS sheer glow foundation had a good match for my skin. It's very lightweight (as the name suggests) and comes in a sheer matte version if you find the glow too shiny (I don't find that it's shiny at all personally).

I only wear it on the days my skin tone is very uneven, otherwise it's just concealer for me (YSL touche eclat under my eyes and around my nose/nasolabial fold where I get a bit red and a MAC concealer on blemishes which I get hormonally) and some blush or bronzer for depth or else I tend to look a little washed out.

interest1
07-18-2013, 03:50 AM
interest1 -- i remember from the original latisse advertisements one of the "possible side effects" is that it may permanently change eye color (specifically, blue and green eyes to brown). seems like quite the risk to take for those of us with lighter eye colors. though i wonder how often this actually happened in the clinical trials......

it was originally developed to treat cataracts i believe ?
imagine what sort of ad that would've been: "become less blind ! side effects include changing eye color and long feather lashes !" as the model bats her lashes and flies away......

If this worked in reverse (changing dark eyes to light ones), I've a feeling a stampede would ensue and the shit would sell out overnight. http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/CMBKs/Music_0431_zps444e8aae.gif~original

Years ago, I worked in the corporate cosmetic industry. High-end skincare, to be exact. A part of that was traveling; training and giving talks to large groups of people. You know, pitching the idea of eternal youth – and in a bottle, no less. Don't ask me how it worked, but the crowds flocked.

Anyhow, I remember one year I decided to try colored contacts, despite having 20/20 vision. To get my dark eyes icy blue, the damn things had to be completely opaque, LoL. Aside from feeling like someone's finger was constantly in my eye, it was, eh, fabulous. Until nightfall hit and I tried driving. Suddenly every light post had a blinding ring around it and I nearly went off the road. Needless to say, that brought an end to my baby blues, lickety-split.

severin
07-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Years ago, I worked in the corporate cosmetic industry. High-end skincare, to be exact. A part of that was traveling; training and giving talks to large groups of people. You know, pitching the idea of eternal youth – and in a bottle, no less. Don't ask me how it worked, but the crowds flocked.

Anyhow, I remember one year I decided to try colored contacts, despite having 20/20 vision. To get my dark eyes icy blue, the damn things had to be completely opaque, LoL. Aside from feeling like someone's finger was constantly in my eye, it was, eh, fabulous. Until nightfall hit and I tried driving. Suddenly every light post had a blinding ring around it and I nearly went off the road. Needless to say, that brought an end to my baby blues, lickety-split.

it worked because everyone believes in MAGIC !!

a darling brown-eyed relative of mine tried (darker) blue contacts years ago. the thing that put me off them was that it appeared her pupils NEVER DILATED. no matter where we were, her eyes always appeared to have these tiny little pupils. that said, if she'd gone with the icy blue variety*, i think i'd have been too hypnotized by them to have noticed.......

*(she's a self-confessed horrid driver so i'm relieved it never came to that....)

emmyrea
07-20-2013, 08:41 AM
I just tried a bit of Cle de Peau silky cream foundation and I think I am in love. Have any of you used it before? Trying to see if it is worth buying.

The slight perfume-y smell is sort of strange at first... haha I cannot tell if other people will be able to notice it.

interest1
07-20-2013, 08:42 AM
it worked because everyone believes in MAGIC !!

a darling brown-eyed relative of mine tried (darker) blue contacts years ago. the thing that put me off them was that it appeared her pupils NEVER DILATED. no matter where we were, her eyes always appeared to have these tiny little pupils. that said, if she'd gone with the icy blue variety*, i think i'd have been too hypnotized by them to have noticed.......

*(she's a self-confessed horrid driver so i'm relieved it never came to that....)

Yes, but ideally it should be in the air, not in bottles. ;)

Regarding colored contacts, I'm sure her pupils did dilate. I don't think a lense can stop that; only mask it. They were likely so thick with saturated color that you couldn't see anything through 'em – from either direction, LoL (which would explain why I felt half-blind wearing them).

Horrid drivers scare the hell out of me. Get those car keys away from her!
Luckily, I've no issues behind the wheel, and no accidents yet (knock on plywood). But even I have to draw the line at seeing halos around street lights, haha..

It's all fun & games until someone ends up tits-up in a ditch, right?

severin
07-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Regarding colored contacts, I'm sure her pupils did dilate. I don't think a lense can stop that; only mask it.

oh yes, i know. [tongue]
i really meant that it appeared her pupils didn't dilate to whomever was looking at her.
it was still a strange effect, even if subtle.

all in all i'm glad you chose safety over icy blues !!

Bson
08-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Does anyone else use Perricone for skincare? Been using a significant portion of the line- (Cleanser/Cold Plasma/Blue Plasma/Vitamin C Ester/Moisturizer) at least... Not finding any significant improvement of skin quality really... I don't really suffer from anything in particular though, just some unevenness in color and texture

Any skincare you all are using that you love? I thought Mario Badescu was pretty effective...

Maybe I should start getting regular facials or something! Looking to up my skin quality without trying BBcream, as a guy... haha

Liz Quinlan
09-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Does anyone else use Perricone for skincare? Been using a significant portion of the line- (Cleanser/Cold Plasma/Blue Plasma/Vitamin C Ester/Moisturizer) at least... Not finding any significant improvement of skin quality really... I don't really suffer from anything in particular though, just some unevenness in color and texture

Any skincare you all are using that you love? I thought Mario Badescu was pretty effective...

Maybe I should start getting regular facials or something! Looking to up my skin quality without trying BBcream, as a guy... haha
I heard good things about the Blue Plasma, so I tried it, along with some of their other products, but didn't notice much of a difference in my skin either. The best things for my skin are getting good sleep and drinking lots of water. I keep it pretty simple. When my skin feels a tad dry, I just spritz some rosewater on my face and it's very refreshing.

interest1
09-24-2013, 03:51 PM
I heard good things about the Blue Plasma, so I tried it, along with some of their other products, but didn't notice much of a difference in my skin either. The best things for my skin are getting good sleep and drinking lots of water. I keep it pretty simple. When my skin feels a tad dry, I just spritz some rosewater on my face and it's very refreshing.

No product can mask what good sleep can repair. I completely agree with you. [thumbup]

Bson
09-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Good!! Thank you for the affirmation, ladies :)

rider
09-25-2013, 08:16 AM
recently i've been keen on some Sisley products after getting samples.
although a few products werent to my skin's liking, the gentle buffing cream and black rose mask (which i use as a moisturizer its so light) as well as the phyto-blanc lightening cleanser were hits.

and they dont test on animals either. always a plus...
Phyto-Blanc Lightening Foaming Cleanser
Phyto-Blanc Lightening Foaming Cleanser

casem
09-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Anyone try Aesop chamomile anti blemish mask? I get occasional acne and redness but I'm also getting older so my skin gets dried out more easily, wondering if anyone has opinions on this or the effectiveness of masks in general.

OliverG
09-26-2013, 07:09 AM
My absolute line of beauty products and skin and hair care is Aveda. If you don't know Aveda, their products are made with flower and plant extracts, most of their products (not the makeup) are almost all natural, and they smell amazing. The one product of theirs that I cannot live without is the face cream. The large bottle is quite expensive, but it lasts me about a year, so in the long run it is actually economical, and such high quality. I have been using it for over ten years, and I love, love, love it!

MetroBulotDodo
04-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Anyone try Aesop chamomile anti blemish mask? I get occasional acne and redness but I'm also getting older so my skin gets dried out more easily, wondering if anyone has opinions on this or the effectiveness of masks in general.

Casey -

I was just going to write here about how much I love Aesop lately. I'd purchased one of their big kits last year and only just opened it.

I usually use the exfoliating mask from Dr Sebagh, which does wonders for softening and evening your skin, but if you get blotchy-ness or occasional redness or puffiness, I couldn't recommend anything better than the Primrose mask (http://www.aesop.com/usa/skin-care-1/deep-cleanse/primrose-facial-cleansing-masque-2.html) I just tried from Aesop for this very issue. They also have a concentrated clay mask (http://www.aesop.com/usa/skin-care-1/deep-cleanse/chamomile-concentrate-anti-blemish-masque.html) specifically for blemishes, but the Primrose mask provided significant and noticeable results.

Their calming shampoo (http://www.aesop.com/usa/hair-care/calming-shampoo.html) is gentle enough to use as a shampoo and a body wash and it smells gloriously of sage -- no cheap "clean" scent here. Sure, a large bottle of it is $49, but I've had one for 2.5 years and it's still 1/3 full...

If I were to recommend a kit with a good representative selection of their products that would work for every kind of skin, I would choose this. (http://www.aesop.com/usa/packs-and-gifts/alacrity-gift-kit.html)

All the ingredients they use are vegan/plant-based.

Casey -- if you want a sample of the camomile anti-blemish mask, msg me your address. They gave me a lot of extras to try at home or give away...

(No I do not work for Aesop, though I wish I had a steady, free source of it!)

MBD

fncyths
04-27-2014, 07:00 PM
second to what MBD has to add. I absolutely love Aesop products. The full range is awesome!

A dear old gf of mine has a wonderful natural beauty line as well called Fig + Yarrow (http://figandyarrow.com/). If some of you are looking to go a more natural route in your daily routine it might perk your interest:

http://sousstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/FigYarrow_BrandyMonique_portrait-719x500.jpg (http://figandyarrow.com/)

fncyths
05-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Can anyone recommend their favorite lipstick? I'm looking at YSL, Guerlain, and maybe MAC for a sweet lady friend. Her style is very 40s, deco noir...

Any help would be much appreciated [blush]

Dane
05-09-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm not a lady, so I can't attest to actual usage, but as far as aesthetics, go: http://en.sergelutens.com/purchase/beauty-essentials/fard-a-levres.html

PandorasFate
05-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Can anyone recommend their favorite lipstick? I'm looking at YSL, Guerlain, and maybe MAC for a sweet lady friend. Her style is very 40s, deco noir...

Any help would be much appreciated [blush]

MAC "soulfully rich" lipcreme- the color of a Black orchid with deep wine undertones, extremely film noir, potent color

Lancome- Rouge in Love 292- deep, femme fatale red

YSL makes my lips crack, and Guerlain, while gorgeous is too heavily scented and makes me itch.

This is contingent upon your ladyfriend having sort of bluish undertones. Yellow/peach undertones will make these look flat.
I am extremely pale as well if that helps. If you can find Illamasqua, try that: http://www.illamasqua.com/
Sangers or Shard shades

Verdandi
05-09-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm not a lady, so I can't attest to actual usage, but as far as aesthetics, go: http://en.sergelutens.com/purchase/beauty-essentials/fard-a-levres.html

I have been using SL lipsicks exclusivley for a while now and Mise à Mort has to be the most wonderful red lipstick shade in existence. It's the only red I use these days and I have never looked back since.
The Lèvres en boîte 1 palette is gorgous as well and offers the option of mixing shades.
Before worshipping at the altar of Serge lipsticks I used Guerlain's Rouge d'enfer and Dior's Dolce Vita. Mise à Mort is a bit darker than those two.

TheDivinitus
05-10-2014, 04:57 AM
Perhaps MAC in "Lady Danger" (intense matte-red worn at RO shows) or Chanel in "Rouge Noir"? And Serge Lutens seems prefect for a sophisticated lady. She will appreciate that :)

rider
05-10-2014, 07:02 AM
On rare occasion When I do want 40's red it use to be Chanel rouge noir or Mac rooby woo, but serge lutens is my favorite now: ravage me with mist a mort and take me to breakfast or work with everyday lip color that looks like your own lip shade in mauve de swanne

fncyths
05-11-2014, 12:03 AM
thanks for the replies gang! I have some homework to do. cheers [thumbup]

theseasonofmist
05-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Fncyths - thanks for recommending Fig + Yarrow [thumbup]. I just purchased a few pieces; looking forward to receiving them. Funnily enough I also read about the line in last month's Monocle.

interest1
05-12-2014, 08:49 AM
fncyths – this is a bold recommendation, but if she's adventurous and you want to give her something a bit left of center, I love "Schiap" by Nars. The color is an homage to Elsa Schiaparelli and her signature head-turning shocking fuchsia pink.

It avoids looking garish by way of its semi-matte finish, and, unlike many designer lipsticks, is nonfragranced. A lot of women can't stomach perfumey lipstick, myself included. Quite striking on a bare face – and if nothing else, it won't be adding to the drawer of reds she likely already owns.
Packaging is angular & black, no bling.

Essentially how I like it:

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/Nars__zpsfb034cae.jpg~original

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/_Nars_zpsc784e268.jpg~original

fncyths
05-13-2014, 10:58 AM
this is perfect! this is news to me also. are most women's lipsticks fragranced?

funny you should mention schiaparelli. I've gifted her a few vintage pieces from her. right on point!

she's actually new to the makeup game (sounds like she's 14, she just turned 30) so it's a fun new adventure. just focusing on the eyes and lips and leaving the rest au naturale.
essentially how I like it [wub]

fncyths
05-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Fncyths - thanks for recommending Fig + Yarrow [thumbup]. I just purchased a few pieces; looking forward to receiving them. Funnily enough I also read about the line in last month's Monocle.

oh cool! I've dipped and dabbled with all the products so if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

interest1
05-17-2014, 02:27 PM
this is perfect! this is news to me also. are most women's lipsticks fragranced?

funny you should mention schiaparelli. I've gifted her a few vintage pieces from her. right on point!

she's actually new to the makeup game (sounds like she's 14, she just turned 30) so it's a fun new adventure. just focusing on the eyes and lips and leaving the rest au naturale.
essentially how I like it [wub]

Glad you like. I don't wear it too often, but when I do, it tends to steal the show.

So wonderful that you gift her with vintage pieces. I bet she loves that. Much of gift-giving today centers around the latest "it" thing. I guess I'm a little old-fashioned; I like the thrill of the hunt. The rare and the special.

severin
05-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Essentially how I like it:

the lipstick is indeed extraordinary (i love NARS matte lipsticks !!) but her SKIN is OUT OF THIS WORLD.
i just need to acknowledge that.

i've become particularly obsessed with skincare lately. so much so to initiate a possible career change. (yikes)

current product obsession is the caudalíe beauty elixir. i spritz a bit after cleansing in the morning, before moisturizer. it smells divine too but not overpowering.

http://www.sephora.com/productimages/sku/s455774-main-hero.jpg

edit: DANE won't approve because it has peppermint oil !
but god i love it.

galia
05-21-2014, 06:20 AM
the lipstick is indeed extraordinary (i love NARS matte lipsticks !!) but her SKIN is OUT OF THIS WORLD.
i just need to acknowledge that.

It's out of focus, is what it is. I'm not saying she's a pizza face, I'm just saying almost anyone's skin, provided it's in decent condition, would also look incredible if photographed that way

Dane
05-21-2014, 02:15 PM
edit: DANE won't approve because it has peppermint oil !but got i love it.

right you are! but hey...if you like it and it doesn't bother you, enjoy!

are most women's lipsticks fragranced?

everything is fragranced.

jap808
05-22-2014, 08:34 AM
current product obsession is the caudalíe beauty elixir. i spritz a bit after cleansing in the morning, before moisturizer. it smells divine too but not overpowering.

http://www.sephora.com/productimages/sku/s455774-main-hero.jpg

Caudalie has really some of the best products around, aside from having developed a very strong (and nice, imho) brand image [thumbup]
The beauty elixir is one of their "cult" products: suitable for men too! Other favorite includes jambe divines (not suitable for hairy men's leg) and huile divine...

They also have a good e-commerce
http://en.caudalie.com/

Verdandi
06-04-2014, 03:49 PM
This is not exactley skincare related but close enough:
Does anyone here have experience with getting hair back to its natural colour? I have been dyeing my hair espresso brown for more than a decade, but I am sick of dyeing my roots every couple of weeks.
My natural haircolour is on the lighter side of blonde and my hair is currently down to my waist. I know that stripping it off the dye will probably cost me a couple of inches and that's fine, but I am confused by what way would be the best to do this? The salon I get my hair microtrimmed at won't do it and at another salon they told me they would have to bleach it back, which doesn't sound right to me.

GlassOrganelle
06-04-2014, 04:53 PM
This is not exactley skincare related but close enough:
Does anyone here have experience with getting hair back to its natural colour? I have been dying my hair espresso brown for more than a decade, but I am sick of dying my roots every couple of weeks.
My natural haircolour is on the lighter side of blonde and my hair is currently down to my waist. I know that stripping it off the dye will probably cost me a couple of inches and that's fine, but I am confused by what way would be the best to do this? The salon I get my hair microtrimmed at won't do it and at another salon they told me they would have to bleach it back, which doesn't sound right to me.

A couple of years ago I went from black to my natural brown. I'm still trying to get my ends to match my roots (they lightened the ends too much), so make sure you have sufficient regrowth to colour match. I remember something about the possibility of using a colour stripper or lightener that isn't as strong as bleach.

Either way, get the salon to lighten your hair over a few visits. It's more expensive but worth it to avoid excessive damage to your hair.

LelandJ
06-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Verdandi,

Why would you think your hair's not dyed permanently? You could cut it all off and start fresh, or wait till your natural roots are at least an inch if you don't want to look bald for a couple weeks.

Verdandi
06-05-2014, 12:51 PM
A couple of years ago I went from black to my natural brown. I'm still trying to get my ends to match my roots (they lightened the ends too much), so make sure you have sufficient regrowth to colour match. I remember something about the possibility of using a colour stripper or lightener that isn't as strong as bleach.

Either way, get the salon to lighten your hair over a few visits. It's more expensive but worth it to avoid excessive damage to your hair.

Thank you for the information! I went to a third salon today (someone at Pilates recommended them to me) and we agreed upon lightening it over a few sessions and then continue to add highlights with every subsequent visit. They told me it may take well over a year, because my natural haircolur is so light and they also recommended to grow my hair out at least an inch.

LelandJ: I know that my hair is permanently dyed, but like I wrote above there are methods to dye it back. We'll see how much hair I'll have to sacrifice in the process. Cutting it all off is not an option simply because I do not want short hair.

prenouveau
06-24-2014, 12:34 PM
I once went from very dark brown to a lighter one that blended with my red roots--the hair stylist mixed bleach with conditioner a couple times over the course of a month and left it on for a shortish time, like 20 minutes. My hair was also pretty short at that time though, not sure how it would work on longer hair.

Graeth
07-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Has anyone got a good facial mousturiser that they would recommend? I currently use argan oil, but I recently bought some zinc oxide powder which I want to add to moisturiser to make a low spf day sunscreen (bit weird I know) and argan oil doesn't work with it. The argan is also a bit oily for day use.
I noticed a lot of people were praising Aesop, so I'll have a look at that, but are there any other brands that are particularly loved?

Faust
07-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Khiel's Facial Fuel works for me. They also have an SPF15 version that I regularly use in the summer.

Graeth
07-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Khiel's Facial Fuel works for me. They also have an SPF15 version that I regularly use in the summer.

Just had a look on the website, I see that its a men's product, but looks like it would be a good one to try. Thanks for the recommendation!

Faust
07-13-2014, 07:27 AM
Ah, sorry. I imagine they have a women's counterpart, though I don't exactly know what the difference would be. Seems like a lot of the devision in skincare, like in fragrances, between men's and women's is artificial (good for the bottom line).

Graeth
07-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I've worn men's fragrance before and don't see why there should be a distinction- same with a lot of skincare.

rider
07-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Has anyone got a good facial mousturiser that they would recommend? I currently use argan oil, but I recently bought some zinc oxide powder which I want to add to moisturiser to make a low spf day sunscreen (bit weird I know) and argan oil doesn't work with it. The argan is also a bit oily for day use.
I noticed a lot of people were praising Aesop, so I'll have a look at that, but are there any other brands that are particularly loved?

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with retin a at night, with a script of course, and then I find that Sisley black rose mask as a moisturizer for day is the right mix. It's a personal thing depending on your skin.
P.s. I also use hyaluronic powder after moisturizing as a sub barrier.

Graeth
07-14-2014, 06:31 PM
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with retin a at night, with a script of course, and then I find that Sisley black rose mask as a moisturizer for day is the right mix. It's a personal thing depending on your skin.
P.s. I also use hyaluronic powder after moisturizing as a sub barrier.

Hmm....might see if I can try the retin a- heard good things about it from other places. I do currently use a mild form of aha every so often, and I know it works well with retin a. How have you found using it, and how has it improved your skin?

rider
07-15-2014, 09:07 AM
I've been using it for about 15 years. My skin has no visible pores, rarely do I break out, the texture is smooth, I really don't have any wrinkles to speak of, however that could also be genetic because its not from a past of "good" living...

Dane
07-15-2014, 02:10 PM
it can do wonders, but if your skin doesn't tolerate it (me), it's not a pleasant experience. i never knew your skin could actually "hurt"...not like a sunburn way, but just pain.

...one of the few times I would actually recommend a "patch test". I'm jealous of those who can use it...makes your skin remarkably different if you're consistent with it.

6i6i
07-22-2014, 09:14 AM
I know this does not necessarily apply to "skincare" and if it is irrelevant please delete it...but I thought it would be useful to hear about what some of you do with your hair. I feel like many times my hair holds me back! I have a platinum/white color and usually slick it back into a ponytail or wear it down. I'd like to hear some styling ideas/ ways to change it up. Thanks!

Faust
07-22-2014, 09:17 AM
You can use this thread

http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8355&highlight=hair

Ulf
07-22-2014, 04:09 PM
I will second the Retin-A recommendations. Well, any generic tretinoin cream really. And a broad spectrum sunscreen, at least 30 SPF, every single day all year round. Even if you're inside, and even if it's raining or snowing.

Tretinoin speeds up the cell turnover and builds collagen in the deeper layers of the skin. It does this by "reminding" cells to act like they're supposed to, like young undamaged skin. There is actual scientific proof of this, which is something most lotions and potions can't claim.

Tretinoin is powerful stuff, and it can lead to side-effects like irritation, redness and flaking. These side-effects can be minimized by introducing tretinoin slowly, and gradually increasing the strength. The most common concentrations are 0.025%, 0.05% and 0.1%, and the longterm goal should be to use it daily in the highest concentration your skin can take without side-effects (except for an occasional flake, perhaps).

It seems like a common misconception is that your skin *should* flake, and that tretinoin somehow has stopped working when you no longer have flakey skin. This is simply not true – flakes and irritation signal that your skin has not adapted to the treatment. You probably will have to push through a flakey, irritated phase when you first start using tretinoin (or increase the strength) but this should be temporary and never extremely painful – if it is, you need to take it more slowly. And you need to use tretinoin regularly (every day or every other day) so that your skin gets adjusted to it.

And as always, do your research and ask your doctor – better safe than sorry!

dreamcloset
07-23-2014, 05:25 AM
My fav is cleasing Lines... Really its good for me....

wildinthewoods
10-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Hey all. I have pretty ok skin, and I have never really used makeup or moisturizer or any products of any kind. My routine is gentle unscented soap to wash my face morning and night and then lip balm, never moisturize as my skin doesn't seem to need it. If I ever want to look fancy I have a kohl pencil I color my waterline with and once every five years I will try red lipstick, but I don't really like the way my face looks colored in, specially because I never learned the skills to do it properly.

Anyway, I'm in my late 20s now and I would like to start taking proper care on my skin. It's really hard to know where to start. I've read over this whole thread and I'm thinking of getting retin-a perhaps. How exactly do you get a prescription? Can I go to my family doctor and ask or do I need a referral to a dermatologist? Also my skin is medium oily, what kind of moisturizer should I use?

Verdandi
10-22-2014, 04:19 PM
First of all, the most important thing is sunscreen. Every day, even if it is cloudy. There is no better 'anti-aging treatment' than sunscreen out there.

Tretinoin (Retin A is the most popular product name) requires a prescription from either your general physician or a dermatologist. There are different strenghts available as well as different formulations and it would be best to discuss with your doctor of choice which formulation is suited best for your needs. There are some physicians out there who flat out won't prescribe tretinoin if you do not have acne (that's what it's originally for) because it can be VERY irritating and there is a good number of people out there who can't tolerate it at all. Tretinoin also tends to be drying so adding a moisturizer would help. If you decide to use tretinoin you have to use sunscreen (I know I go on about the sunscreen, but really, it's the most important thing).

As far as moisturizers go. If you feel you don't need one you don't really have to use one (apart from sunscreen of course). Maybe look into a good antioxidant serum instead because these tend to be more lightweight.
If you want to add a moisturizer I would look for something without a ton of fragrance (in my opinion fragrance of any kind has no use in skincare ever) and non-emolient alcohols. It should have antioxidants and stuff like ceramides in it. And - most important - it should not come in a jar. Everything that comes in a jar is useless, period.

Another thing you may want to look into is investing in a good exfoliant. That is a good chemical exfoliant; either an AHA or a BHA (better for oily skin because it helps to unclog pores) in the correct ph range.

wildinthewoods
10-22-2014, 04:54 PM
thank you Verdandi

Jezil
11-17-2014, 04:20 AM
I used to do Isotretinoin, it's really harsh stuff and I can't recommend it unless having serious skin issues, should you be 'lucky' enough to qualify that stuff makes you end up feeling like wearing babyskin. [thumbup]

Quite the icebreaker for my first post, ahem.[blush]

As for sunscreens I can definitely vouch for La Posey Roche spf 50, and I shall giveit the official ginger approval stamp from my part.
I'd be curious to hear on other's experiences and recommendations on suncreens, any tips?

Phantom
11-17-2014, 04:50 AM
I have oily but dehydrated skin. Means that i need hydration, water in my skin not fat. you know the feeling when your face feels tight when the climate changes from summer to winter.

Ive tried a lot of different stuff, some stuff that is oil free makes my skin worse and more tight. especially the ones that claims to matte your skin.

Do any have the same problem and found something that worked?

rider
11-17-2014, 12:17 PM
After trying many, the one I've repurchesd over and over is Sisley black rose mask, I use it as a moisturizer daily. It's light but hydrates well. I like it because it sinks right in and is the only moisturizer I found that I can use through all four seasons and it seems to adjust to what my skin needs.

Verdandi
11-17-2014, 12:18 PM
I have oily but dehydrated skin. Means that i need hydration, water in my skin not fat. you know the feeling when your face feels tight when the climate changes from summer to winter.

Ive tried a lot of different stuff, some stuff that is oil free makes my skin worse and more tight. especially the ones that claims to matte your skin.

What products do you use at the moment? In most cases dehydrated skin is a result of a damaged lipid barrier which is often made worse by products that are too irritating.

MetroBulotDodo
03-14-2015, 05:37 PM

Hello Phantom, and all,

It sounds that you need something that hydrates without adding anything extra. Have you tried a drop of Hada Labo's Gokujun Hyaluronic Lotion "Moist?" It's available via Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Hadalabo-Gokujun-Hyaluronic-Lotion-5-7floz/dp/B00BSNBO9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426315998&sr=8-3&keywords=hada+labo), is shipped Prime and costs around $15 USD.

One only needs a pea sized drop to wear under makeup. I've tried it, and it certainly does the job. However, I've discovered that I need to add some (or a lot) to maintain a protective lipid layer on my skin.

Over the past few months, I'd ventured into Korean skin care territory because Asian skin care technology harbors no fear for ingredients that, at the very least, piques the curiosity of people like me who have little fear for things that may make others squirm in their seats. Asian-style moisturizing lotion that uses snail secretion in the place of water, alongside bee venom and camellia sinensis water? Yes, please. (The consistency of Asian-style lotion is watery versus Western lotions, which have a milky consistency.) My mind goes into some very medieval places as I imagine a production center, where snails are milked for their precious secretions; or perhaps they are stomped using bare feet a la grapes by a vintner. As improbable the existence of snail goo serum, the final product is inexpensive by Western standards. Benton Snail Bee High Content Essence (http://www.amazon.com/BENTON-content-Essence-Korean-cosmetic/dp/B00QIF94NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426317111&sr=8-1&keywords=benton+snail+bee+high+content+essence) -- a serum is $15.50.

I tried this alongside other Korean potions from Missha -- Super Aqua Snail Renew Snail Cream (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HHR778/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1426318212&sr=1&keywords=missha+super+aqua) in place of my usual night lotion from Dr Sebagh Supreme Night Secret, as well as Missha Super Aqua Sleeping Mask (basically a thick lotion you wear overnight for maximum moisturization.)

As much as my bank account wanted these products to prove sufficient replacements for my usual regimen, I found that none of the products I tried provided enough lipid based moisture. Furthermore, each one left a semi-tacky feeling on my skin, as if the products were not being absorbed sufficiently. That said, these skin care products likely do the trick for most people.

These days, I'm allowing myself at most one jar of Dr Sebagh's Supreme Maintenance Youth Serum, one jar of Dr Sebagh's Rose de Vie and one jar of Supreme Night Secret per year. The three items have lasted me up to 16 months and I buy the Supreme Maintenance Youth Serum and Supreme Night Secret when it's possible to purchase a box set that includes both items directly from DrSebagh (http://www.drsebagh.com/) in London for 250£ (versus the $800+ it costs from Barneys!). You simply have to sign up for their newsletter and you'll receive the announcement biannually. They also have monthly specials, also announced via the newsletter, in which you can get a free full size bottle of one of their core products for spending 95£. So, in a good month, you can get the box with the Supreme Maintenance Youth Serum and Supreme Night Secret as well as a full size bottle of Rose de Vie for 270£. You also get a small size bottle of each of their serums, which are great for traveling for having spent 165£. For me, that's 16 months skin care for 270£, which is not *that* much more than the $150 I spent to test 5 Korean skin care products.

One final thing is a great "discovery." I've been looking for oils, similar to the Rose de Vie Serum, such as Argan oil to use on my skin and hair. During a visit to a Chinatown variety store with my mother, she pointed out a bottle of oil that she told me she used as young woman in her hair. She described it as being Japanese and suggested it to me. I took it home, tried it in my hair, noticed the texture and lack of scent was very much what I was looking for in a facial oil based serum. It was Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Hair Care Oil, (http://www.amazon.com/Oshima-Tsubaki-Camellia-Hair-Care/dp/B0022NHBFK/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1426371677&sr=1-1&keywords=camellia+oil)available for $18.40 from Amazon and since then I've been using it on my face -- just a couple of drops per application -- twice a day. I've gone through two bottle since the beginning of the year but my skin has felt perfectly hydrated and soft, dullness and pores have diminished, and I have not had any hormone-based blemishes since starting this oil. (I'll usually have one blemish every couple of months.)

I've included several recommendations in this post. Here (http://www.skinandtonics.com/asian-skin-care-guide/) are posts that describe the sciences behind the Korean products. They've helped me to understand better what I'm looking for in skin care products.

Here is a photo taken this past week. I've used only a touch of eyeliner, and I feel the improvement to the texture of my skin has been significant:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7608/16814784691_f0f43a90b1_z.jpg

MBD

Arkady
03-19-2015, 03:39 PM
Is there a particular brand of non-prescription tretinoin / Retinol cream any of you guys could recommend here? I've tried a few things available on Amazon but I'm always suspicious of the quality / effectiveness compared to the prescription strength treatments. Or should I stop fucking around and have my dermatologist write me a script?

I have very oily skin that's prone to blackheads, especially around the nose. Oz Naturals' serum (http://www.amazon.com/OZ-Naturals-Retinol-Serum-Satisfaction/dp/B00NT0AR7E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426797474&sr=8-2&keywords=oz+naturals+retinol) has the most positive effect but I think I may need something a little stronger. And I'm dubious in regards to them calling this "2.5% retinol." Thanks in advance!

Verdandi
03-19-2015, 04:16 PM
I would get a prescription for tretinoin. It seems like you have no problems tolerating higher strength retinol (even though I've never heard of that serum you linked to and cannot comment on its effectiveness), so you should be fine with tretinoin.

But blackheads can be really stubborn and it may take a couple of months to get rid of them even with tretinoin. A good BHA exfoliant usually helps as well.

Arkady
03-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Perfect, thank you!

While I'm here, have any of you guys had luck treating minor acne scarring at home? Again, could go get hit with the laser but I've never thought it was quite serious enough for that. Mederma scar gel has some effect but generally isn't too great.

GucciAmen
03-19-2015, 06:31 PM
Perfect, thank you!

While I'm here, have any of you guys had luck treating minor acne scarring at home? Again, could go get hit with the laser but I've never thought it was quite serious enough for that. Mederma scar gel has some effect but generally isn't too great.

If I were you, I would seriously consider a laser treatment, I have tried almost everything under the sun and that was the only one that actually gave me results. Just be sure to get the strongest meds you can for the treatment because it is a bit painful [suicide]. Worth it though.

Arkady
03-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Thank you -- I'm sure I can manage on the thought that I'm being shot with a ray gun for a few minutes.

Comotomo
03-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Not an expert but have you tried cortisone cream or a stronger acid peel? Kojic acid and hydroquinone are supposedly good for lightening scars too. Presuming that you are referring to discoloration and not depressed scarring.

Graeth
03-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Wow, MBD, your skin looks like porcelain. I'm very jealous!

Due to all the recommendations on this thread regarding tretinoin, I have started a trial period with it. Fingers crossed it works for me and I get the promised babyskin :)

In regards to acne scarring, if it's pitted scars then lasers etc are probably the best bet. If it's light pitting or hyperpigmentation I swear by salicylic acid peels. I get spots very rarely now, but when I do, they're monsters that leave horrible dark marks for ages. The peels help.

Arkady
03-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Yeah this is discoloration, I'll definitely give those options a try -- thanks very much guys!

Icarium
04-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Hair Care Oil

Man, thanks for this recommendation MBD. Been a game changer for me. Of course I went from no skin-care or moisturizer to using this, but ridiculously effective and results have been immediate with pores shrinking steadily.

MetroBulotDodo
04-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Man, thanks for this recommendation MBD. Been a game changer for me. Of course I went from no skin-care or moisturizer to using this, but ridiculously effective and results have been immediate with pores shrinking steadily.

My discovery of Camellia Oil for use on the face and hair has given me as much pleasure, if not more, than any of my design discoveries.

And for those of you who believe that we're out to deplete your bank accounts by revealing every luxury item that exists, note that this oil is only $18.40 at Amazon.

A hint: rub a generous amount into your face until the oil obtains a velvety texture.

(My mother was thrilled when she saw the Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Oil in the store -- it was a real luxury item for her during her youth in Taiwan.)

I've become more and more convinced that breakouts occur when the skin is not hydrated enough rather than overly hydrated...

MBD

Icarium
04-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Absolutely, so cheap. A little goes a long way. I'm going to stock up nevertheless.

I've suspected your notion of lack of moisture being more instrumental in breakouts for a bit as well -- which makes sense in a contrarian fashion.

Most things that are efficacious while cheap seem to go against the grain of common sense -- e.g. more oil/grease = more zits, while expensive products cater to it.

8bpc
04-25-2015, 11:27 PM
Any suggestions for a good eye cream and sunscreen? I can't stand the heavy, coated feeling I get with all sunscreens I've tried. I'm looking for a daily wear sunscreen that doesn't leave that nasty feeling like my skin can't breath.

FiggRow
04-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Ive used a couple but my favorite everyday sunscreen is the generic Cetaphil moisturizing sunscreen. Noncomedogenic, unscented, lightweight, and doesn't leave your overly skin shiny. Everything I could ask for in an everyday sunscreen

Comotomo
04-27-2015, 10:02 AM
I like skII for eye cream. As for Sunscreen I like those from Japanese and Korean brands ( sulwhasoo, cle de Peau, shiseido) as they tend to be moisturizing. You can also try a bb cushion with high spf.

MetroBulotDodo
04-29-2015, 09:24 AM
I am thinking about making an order from Dr Sebagh in London. Evidently, the prices are far superior, and they don't charge shipping.

Since I am doing that, I feel that I may as well check around to see if there is interest from those here in participating in splits of items. The benefit is HUGE savings.

Specifically, let me know if there are two other people interested in doing splits with me of the professional size of Serum Repair (http://www.drsebagh.com/products/serum/serum-repair-pro-sized.html) as well as of the professional size Deep Exfoliating Mask. (http://www.drsebagh.com/products/masks/dr-sebagh-pro-deep-exfoliating-mask.html).

I would split the Serum Repair into 3 x 16.5 mL bottles and the Deep Exfoliating Mask will be split into portions of 50 mL.

The 50 mL Deep Exfoliating Mask split will run in the vicinity of $46.50 per split (I am factoring in US postage and pump bottles from Muji to store the product in safely.) The cost for the same amount purchased from Barneys would cost you $126+shipping.

The 16.5 mL split of Serum Repair will cost apprx $50 (factoring in the cost of glass containers with glass droppers and postage in the US). This is a steal when compared against the $154 + shipping cost of the slightly larger 20 mL Serum Repair when purchased from Barneys. (http://www.barneys.com/dr-sebagh-serum-repair-163015025.html#prefn1=brand&prefv1=Dr+Sebagh&start=15)

I won't purchase the items unless the split spaces are taken and the money forwarded to my paypal account (tas@binaryclub.com).
Project:Dr Sebagh Deep Exfoliating Mask (50 mL) and Serum Repair (16.5 mL) splits.
Responsibility: MBD

Serum Repair 16.5 mL split
1. MBD

Deep Exfoliating Mask 50 mL split
1.MBD

Steps: 1) Get in touch with me if interested with payment prepared, or scheduled to be paid within a reasonable amount of time (1 week, say, max). First to contact me will have precedence. You will give up your place if you promise to make payment by a certain time but are not able to make it. (Also, while flaking is generally discouraged, it is also, ultimately, understood.)

2) I will update this particular document as interest comes in.

Since I am putting this together, it would be easiest for me to organize the project rather than divvying up the work duties. (For this, the "work" would involve obtaining the pharmaceutical grade bottles with glass droppers as well as the appropriately sized pump bottles from Muji for the Deep Exfoliating Mask.)

I would be happy to see other initiatives taken if we can save money by splitting purchases between those of us interested in any particular product.

Anyone have suggestions for other products that might make sense to split?

MBD

Ottoline
05-01-2015, 07:02 PM
I had laser to get rid of a sunspot after living in singapore and it took it away. I have a friend with bad scarring and she had derma roller, which I have not yet dared try. But the results were super. I developed a spot of rosacea and no amount of creams or potions or anti bios got rid of it so I did a no sugar no dairy diet for 8 weeks and it is pretty clear. Comes back every time I touch sugar! I now use heliocare spf 50 each day. It was recommended by a dermatologist. I have a light and a dark and vary them or mix them in summer as my body tans. I have almost stopped using foundation as these do instead and don't exacerbate the rosacea.

Aurum
05-06-2015, 05:59 PM
A couple of years ago, I started developing deep cystic blemishes. They were painful and many resulted in discoloration and scarring. I tried dozens of products and a multitude of prescriptions.

Things that worked: tretinoin (actually works for both anti-aging and acne...I used it in conjunction with clindamycin, both as RX), Accutane (intense, but effective!), photo facials + acid peels (for fading the hyperpigmentation and scarring), and the not-at-all chic Cetaphil lotion (a little heavy feeling, but great for chapped skin and didn't exacerbate the blemish issue). To echo what's already been said: maintaining hydration in the skin helped immensely!

FiggRow
05-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Ive tried allot of the above things also, sadly none seemed to work.

Wanted to thank you MBD for introducing me to camellia oil. Bought it soon after you posted about it and have been using it since. Its worked allot better than my daily moisturizer. Its helped tone, even out, and moisturize my face better so it doesn't look as dead.

voltbird
05-29-2015, 01:31 PM
How does your skincare routine change from the winter to spring/summer months?

I find myself paring down to the absolute basics, mostly because everything else feels too heavy and greasy or just threatens to melt off. I have been using the Laura Mercier oil free tinted moisturizers and mascara with a very sheer blush and occasionally a nude lipstick (I am a very big fan of the Bite lip colors).

Toting around a pack of blotting papers helps, but now even the LM tinted moisturizer feels a bit heavy and I am thinking of trying the Glossier product line (https://www.glossier.com/#!/products) which was developed by the folks at Into The Gloss. Has anyone here tried it?

Verdandi
05-29-2015, 04:29 PM
I don't really change my routine. I may leave the my facial oil out in the morning if it is really humid outside, but that is it.

As far as make up goes, I don't wear anything apart from mascara at work. I wear lipstick and eyeliner in my in my free time, but I've never been a big fan of foundations and tinted moisturizers so I rarely wear them. If I do my products of choice are MAC's Face and Body Foundation and the Barely There Sheer Matt Tint SPF 30 by Paula's Choice.
Both perform well year round. The MAC one is water resistant and doesn't slide around, even in the heat, but it is not suited for those who have oily skin. The Barely There Sheer Matt Tint is indeed barely there as it provides only a smudge of pigment, just enough to even the skintone out a bit. However, it isn't matt so again best for dry to normal skin.

Comotomo
05-29-2015, 07:52 PM
the line looks interesting (and is very affordable!). kind of reminds me of stylenanda makeup in a way.

my skin is ultra dry so i need to keep it hydrated without looking like an oil slick. normally i use cushion bb or bb cream but i also like using foundation in summer as i can just use a very tiny amount for coverage (more pigmented). cushion bb's can also be too glow-y and just melt off after a couple of hours..

Mezeinee
06-08-2015, 11:40 AM
As of 2015, my favorite skin care products are the following two:

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/claires-guerisson-9-complex-cream-70g/info.html/pid.1036462171#productPageSectionTop[/IMG

[IMG]http://www.helia-d.hu/termekek_81/arcapolas/aquaboom/helia_d_aquaboom_szuperhidratalo_kremgel_normal_bo rre_303

These are both super hydrating day crams for extremely dry and sensitive skin. The first product is Korean and the second one is a classical Hungarian brand that already by grandma has used.

About the routine I need to remark how important exfoliation and staying out of direct or at least strong sun is!

jurassicsnark
09-06-2015, 02:16 PM
It was Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Hair Care Oil, (http://www.amazon.com/Oshima-Tsubaki-Camellia-Hair-Care/dp/B0022NHBFK/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1426371677&sr=1-1&keywords=camellia+oil)available for $18.40 from Amazon and since then I've been using it on my face -- just a couple of drops per application -- twice a day.

Holy cow, you are stunning, and you have some of the most beautiful skin I have ever seen. I am going to try this Camellia Oil!

ThompsonCook
11-30-2016, 06:39 AM
I always prefer Nivea cosmetic item for a beauty .

MetroBulotDodo
03-11-2017, 02:31 AM
Thanks!

Keep in mind that on top of Camellia oil, I have been a devoted user of Dr Sebagh skin care products. My regiment is as follows:

Daily
Morning: Cleaning Dr Sebagh's Foaming Cleanser (150 mL 28 GBP). Moisturizing -- two drops of Dr. Sebagh's Serum Repair (Professional Size 50 mL 86.25 GBP), a drop of Dr. Sebagh's Supreme Maintenance Youth Serum (60 mL 215 GBP) on each cheek.

Night: Cleaning Dr. Sebagh's Foaming Cleanser (150 mL 28 GBP). Moisturizing -- two drops of Camellia oil over face. Same quantity of Serum Repair and Supreme Maintenance Youth Serum that I use in the morning.

Weekly
Every other week: Dr. Sebagh's Deep Exfoliating Mask (50 mL 59 GBP). Alternating weeks: One layer of Aesop's Primrose Facial Cleansing Mask (20 mL $40). Layer one My Beauty Diary Black Pearl Sheet Mask (10 sheets $12.99 @ Amazon. 2 boxes will last one year) over the mud mask and wait 15 minutes. Wipe off the clay with the sheet mask. Rinse with warm water.

This is a pretty easy, reasonably inexpensive, basic skincare routine. I've been doing this pretty religiously for the last five years. The amounts I've listed above will last approximately one year, so it's reasonably priced. I tend to buy the items from Dr. Sebagh's when the items I want are offered as a free gift with purchase to minimize cost.

MBD

jurassicsnark
03-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Thanks, MBD. I put in an order. If any of it isn't great for me, I'll send it to you. ;)

rachelstinson
10-03-2017, 01:31 AM
My makeup involves 3 things:
1. Huda Beauty BB Cream
2. MAC Lipstick
3. Naked Longlasting Mascara

A part from this. A lot of water intake and cleansing my face every night with cotton pads dipped in chilled milk helps me to look great and fresh.

Ahimsa
11-16-2018, 02:19 PM
AESOP X IRIS VAN HERPEN: ATLAS OF ATTRACTION

https://www.sz-mag.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Aesop-x-Iris-van-Herpen-Atlas-of-Attraction_2018_StyleZeitgeist-5.jpg (https://www.sz-mag.com/news/2018/11/aesop-x-iris-van-herpen-atlas-of-attraction/)

ahn
01-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Do any of you ladies use NIOD (or The Ordinary) at all?
I've been using the NIOD Multi-Molecular Hyaluronic Complex and Copper Amino Isolate Serum 2:1 in conjunction with The Ordinary's Niacinimide 10% and would have to say I feel like my skin is the clearest and most even in tone it's ever been, especially since using the CAIS. I still have some feint redness around my nostrils but I feel a lot more confident to go bare-skinned (tinted moisturiser) or to simply use a BB cream rather than being heavily reliant on a medium coverage foundation as I used to.

I also bought some high-strength Azaelic Acid to use at night but I forget to use it regularly. My skin doesn't seem to respond well to chemical exfoliants (as in, no response at all - even The Ordinary 30% AHA does little to resurface my skin).

I am noticing lots of fine lines around my eyes which only Botox seems to control, but I can't afford to get it done regularly (#starvingartist). I'm wondering if micro needling in conjunction with the MMHC would be helpful?

jurassicsnark
01-03-2019, 05:16 AM
I actually just picked up some Niacinimide but haven't yet integrated it into the routine — I try to add/change a step no more than once every 2 weeks so that I can see how I adapt to the change. I have just decided to give retinol another chance, though I have had only so-so results with it in the past. I am pretty fortunate in that I'm in my mid-40s but my biggest issue is hyperpigmentation caused by decades of hormonal birth control and some scarring. I am really interested in skin care, though, and I'm curious as to what everyone is using.

Like MBD, I was using Dr Sebagh, but it hasn't always been the easiest thing to replenish as I've been livingon the road, so my current regimen is total hodgepodge of stuff from all over.

J_J
01-13-2019, 05:39 AM
I started using The Ordinary July 2018, kind of went overboard with the actives (Vit C+Ferulic+Marine Hyaluronics + SPF50 sunscreen in the AM, EUK 134, retinol 0,05 + squalane oil in the PM) and my skin did NOT like it. Started to streamline it especially given Retinol purging and my routine now looks like this:
AM: Kikumasamune High Moist lotion --> The Ordinary Vit C suspension in HA spheres mixed with CeraVe --> Biore spf50 Sunscreen
PM: Kiku high moist --> RetinA 0,025% --> CeraVe with some drops of hemp/safflower oil

My skin is still prone to getting tiny superficial red zits here and there but has gotten very smooth and "glowy" . Unfortunately haven't seen a huge difference regarding the lil blackheads on my nose though (not too visible but they irk me)

I recommend checking out Dr Dray's channel on YouTube (she's a dermatologist), I tend to skip her lifestyle/vlog videos and go straight to the Q&A and product reviews. Another good skincare channel is Gothamista.

Stylecoo
02-27-2020, 08:50 PM
I don't makeup. In life, I buy lotion and toner rather than concealer and eyeliners.

shropshire
03-24-2020, 07:15 AM
I love beauty products from Benefits tho I find them expensive. If I want to keep my budget, I go for Himalaya cream for my face. It's gentle to the skin.