• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patroklus
    Banned
    • Feb 2011

Gradient dying with a modal/spandex blend

So I have a big fat sack of ivory modal knit I'm going to turn into stuff, among them a big draped gradient top. I'm shooting for a black - gray or black - gray - white gradient. Here's what I'm not sure about:

- I know modal is a plant cellulose and can be dyed, but I don't know if the spandex content (about 5% iirc) is going to prevent me from reaching a true black.

- I've never gradient dyed before, and I'm not sure exactly what I'd do. I'm envisioning successive dye baths; first the whole garment in a lighter gray, then successively darker baths with the garment partially suspended out of the bath. But this might be too splotchy and obvious.

- Topstitching... since it's a knit, it has to be overlocked, and I'm not aware of any thread that can take a good dye and survive a trip through a serger. The only other solutions I can think of are using armholes and neckholes relaxed enough to sew on a straight stitch with dyeable cotton thread, or omitting topstitching all together and having raw edges a la Dick tops.

I do have a big ol' sack of white & black cotton jersey if this is impossible, but I'd really like to do this with the modal.
  • Patroklus
    Banned
    • Feb 2011

awwww shit

Comment

• Aleks
      • Feb 2009

there's cotton thread as well as silk thread out there,
      or why don't you just get thread the final colour of the top and finish the edges after dying

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎