• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pennickNY
    • Jan 2012

Elk leather Jacket

helloooo all,

So for my last project, I did an outfit inspired by Mongolian nomads(deels), I have a long spiel, but I'll save that for another day.

This jacket is made of elk leather and has wool inserts in the spiral sleeve that has extra room for "scrunch-ability"

unfortunately it is unfinished at the time(no lining/facings or closure), but hey that's the style these days right, Jk i will finish it soon and i also need to hammer out the seams more.

so this took me 3 muslins and a lot of work on the sleeve pattern, as wrapping sleeves just suck to pattern.

Here it is my first time working with leather, fits like a glove.

• ACM
    • Jan 2011

SO beautiful. The leather looks like it has such a wonderful texture to it. I have yet to try the wrapping sleeve pattern. How did you go about doing it?

Comment

• pennickNY
      • Jan 2012

Lots of trial and error, I actually stumbled upon it by accident, with the last coat I made, which I should also post here, but basically i keep it straight from armhole-elbow line, then start to curve out the sleeve from there (about 45 degrees) making sure each length is the same on both sides.

So I don't have this big mathematical scheme, those were my basic guidlines

thats how I do it, couldn't really ask for advice on a better method as most people were confused just looking at the initial drafts.

Comment

• pennickNY
        • Jan 2012

Oh and thank you for the compliment i really appreciate it.

Comment

• originalre0
          • Jan 2011

really lovely , great pattern cutting skill

Comment

• Magic1
            • Jan 2011

Cool pattern, let's see it on. leather looks really nice too.

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

Jacket looks nice
              Nice idea for a first try, the back is really nice.......

However I dont like the point that exist on the bust dart running down the front........dont know if you are a guy or girl. It may work more for a woman, but even then it could be streamlined to be more consistent with the other seams on the jacket.

Also, would be really nice to eliminate the seam connecting the collar with the body of the jacket and just make it into a nice shawl collar, then if the jacket is opened there is no unsightly inseam showing.........but then, I know working with leather unless you have really big skins this is not always possible....

good work though, it looks great and leather is really nice...........
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• pennickNY
                • Jan 2012

So when its finished i will give a fit shot on me,

Zamb, thank you, and just a few things, I am a male, and I took careful care in placement of the angled chest panel. You should look at it as more masculine "warrior" inspired type.

I also think the photo may be misleading in terms of making it look like a bust dart where it is actually my style-line, so for me this was just an expression of masculinity, not a dart.

I had previously done a women's jacket, where the lines of the side seam/bust panel were curved and soft to compliment the women's body. So I wanted to stay away from that here.

so we may just have our differences there.

I do feel ya on the inseam of the collar, but i was working with limited amount of leather so that would of been quite hard to do. maybe next time.

thanks again, I appreciate you checking it out and giving it some thought.

Comment

• Patroklus
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2011

re: twisting sleeves
                  take a sleeve pattern, slash a twist through it, and attach your seperate pieces along the original straight seam.

Comment

• pennickNY
                    • Jan 2012

MIRACLESSS!!!THEY DO EXIST :)

Last edited by pennickNY; 04-01-2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• marc1975
                      • Dec 2010

@pennickNY:

Wow. Nicely done so far.

Leather: One of those materials where you do one wrong stitch and can start with a new piece ... very well done.

Question: You said that it fits like a glove. I assume that the leather has a little stretch to it in order to fit that way. I am considering to sew a leather jacket as well, but I am not sure which type of muslin I should use in order to have a similar material to the final leather I use. Did you use regular (cotton) muslin?

Also, did you use regular sewing thread or did you use special leather thread (thicker one) ?

Cheers,
                      Marc

Comment

• pennickNY
                        • Jan 2012

Thanks brah I appreciate it!

Originally posted by marc1975 View Post
                        @pennickNY:
                        Did you use regular (cotton) muslin?

Also, did you use regular sewing thread or did you use special leather thread (thicker one) ?

Yes, I used regular cotton muslin, and made it a bit tighter than you would want , compared to what you'd want if made in just a woven.

you could also use stretch canvas if you don't feel comfortable w regular muslin. Also using woven inter-facing eliminates most of the stretch.

I used "heavy duty" thread, not sure the tex weight, but it's the heaviest that most places carry, elk is also really thick, so I probably wouldn't use the same thread on lighter skins.

Comment

• brad1981
                          • Dec 2008

really nice item,the leather looks really comfortable

Comment

• savant
                            • Jul 2011

especially loving the back but great jacket overall and inspiration

Comment

• bernieee
                              • Dec 2010

i usually use tex 60 for leather
                              Last edited by bernieee; 04-07-2012, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎