X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tron
    • Dec 2010

Dyeing 50/50 poly cotton at home

I'm trying to dye a 50/50 polyester cotton sweatshirt from white to black.

Basically all I have access to locally is powdered RIT dye which to my understanding will not work for this kind of blend.
    Is there any way I can make it work?
    I'm fine if it's not true black or even comes out grey I just don't want it to be white anymore.

I have a large pot I can boil with and a large tub that I can do long soaks in - I've done this in the past to slightly color whites with tea but never dying something. Would submerging it over night work well if I heated it initially?

Thanks in advance
    "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

It is possible, but not exactly an easy thing

if you are patient you can get it to work,

my advice to you would be to get some polyester dye before, and dye the garment in the polyester before to get a dark shade, after this you can do the cotton dyeing..............
    should work like this

Originally posted by tron View Post
    I'm trying to dye a 50/50 polyester cotton sweatshirt from white to black.

Basically all I have access to locally is powdered RIT dye which to my understanding will not work for this kind of blend.
    Is there any way I can make it work?
    I'm fine if it's not true black or even comes out grey I just don't want it to be white anymore.

I have a large pot I can boil with and a large tub that I can do long soaks in - I've done this in the past to slightly color whites with tea but never dying something. Would submerging it over night work well if I heated it initially?

Thanks in advance
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎