X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michael_kard
    • Oct 2010

Fashion theory

A thread to discuss theoretical writing on fashion.

I started working on my dissertation; the subject is understanding fashion as an embodied and 'felt' practice, possibly with the work of Helmut Lang, Ann and Yohji as case studies. This is done in opposition to semiotics and understanding dress as 'social text'.

Some of my favourite books on the subject are Body Dressing (my absolute favourite and surprisingly enjoyable to read), Cloth and human experience and Clothing as material culture. One of the reasons I particularly appreciate this material-oriented approach is because it provides a framework for understanding and analyzing dress beyond normative ideas of exchange value and sterotypes of prestige etc.
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Pretty sure we have this topic somewhere.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• trentk
      • Oct 2010

Nick Land could be interesting with your material-oriented line of inquiry. Don't have time to write a long message at the moment, so I'll pm you sometime soon.
      "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

Thanks TrentK, right now it's all about reading and absorbing as much info as I can so if you know any specific publications that are relevenant it would be greatly appreciated!
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• michael_kard
          • Oct 2010

The idea of fashion as a profoundly democratic discourse has been explored in depth by Gilles Lipovetsky in The Empire of Fashion, which I think is one of the most important books on the subject.

Comment

• kagitsune
            • Nov 2010

entire peer-reviewed journal on this. Fashion Theory, published by Berg, edited by Valerie Steele. Full text of all issues available through ingentaconnect.

If you (or anyone) sees an article title that interests you, PM me and I can grab the pdf for you. I still have access through my old school's database subscription. ;)
            Originally posted by Yohji Yamamoto, on his second Paris show
            From the next collection it became a war. I didn't want a war but too much attack made me fight.' And you are a good fighter, I say, referring to his black belt in karate. 'I am,' he nods.

Comment

• michael_kard
              • Oct 2010

Thank you very much for the offer! Thankfully the art school in my city has most issues.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kagitsune View Post
                entire peer-reviewed journal on this. Fashion Theory, published by Berg, edited by Valerie Steele. Full text of all issues available through ingentaconnect.

If you (or anyone) sees an article title that interests you, PM me and I can grab the pdf for you. I still have access through my old school's database subscription. ;)
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
                  • Oct 2010

The first book of fashion

Fashion conveys complex messages. The recreation of an outfit taken from one of an extraordinary series of Renaissance portraits reveals how one man made his

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎