X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malevich
    • Jun 2012

how to make a fashion show?

It is a very actual subject, considering that fashion weeks are all happening now, and I am really really curious. We all discuss fashion shows in the context, but we never actually discuss a fashion show as a stand alone event. And how to actually do a fashion show.

I have always been curious about the realistic and organizational part of a Fashion Show. I have been backstage for quite a few big and small designer showcases and almost all the time they seem professional. And I would really like to dig into more financial information that may be behind the whole process. We all understand that it is important to have a fashion show, it is non neglect-able and despite the debates like "fashion show vs fashion video" obviously the show is more advantageous for the designer.

Its key feature is a social event where people interact with each other before and after the show, ergo are more likely to feel the vibe and leave with positive emotions. The show gives the designer all the necessary content for presenting the whole upcoming season by supplying photos which can be used for lookbooks and facebook content (no need to reshoot the lookbook separately with the boring white background), the videos for promos and the archives, and creates all the needed buzz for the PR.

We all respect and admire the creative and visual aspect of the fashion show and the designers work. But my question is about the organization of the fashion show only, regardless the designers influence and sponsorships involved. Step by step.

How much would it cost for a noname wannabe to organize a decent show with all the efficient results. Obviously he can just hire a production company for ultra-millions to do all that work and probably get ripped off, but on the other hand when the budget is primarily question it is better to see all details through:
    Let's assume we are talking about a small humble designer who has 30 total looks to present in a best case scenario to lets say 150-200 people (or is it too many? what is the optimal invitee crowd?) in New York. He needs to rent an open space venue to fit the crowd, the stage and the backstage in there. The venue shall rather be smaller in order to feel the crowd than bigger, that even 200 people would feel like the location is half empty or half full, and echoing like in a swimming pool. Seats, tables must be rented, reflector lights, music equipment, DJs (it is always better when there is a DJ). Backstage we have lets say 15 girls to wear 2 outfits so we have our total 30 looks. each girl needs a makeup and a haircut. Plus i would say minimum 5 dressing people to look over the changing process. We would need couple of bouncers to control the crowd from going here and there, we need technical team to supervise the ambiance and technical infrastructure, and we need couple of photographers and camcorder operators to catch everything on tape. There obviously should be a catering of a sort or an open bar or something, also informative flyers, maybe tiny gifts not to leave a crowd empty handed.
    So our costs would be the following:
    - venue booked for 24 hours
    - technical equipment: music, lights (if not included with the venue)
    - technical equipment team (1-2 people)
    - DJs (2-3 people)
    - Catering (team of people + food/drink costs)
    - Security/Black Ties (letting people in, sitting people down, not letting people backstage, checking up on things, etc, team of 5-10 people)
    - 3 photographer, 2 video men (i am not speaking about press, i am speaking about creating the in house content for designer)
    - 15 models (obviously, no need to be top models, but it is still nice to know how much a familiar face would cost)
    - each model requires at least 1 hairdresser and 1 makeup artist because it does take time to prepare.
    - 5 dressers
    - creative invites and flyers, informative booklets, gifts, etc
    - furniture stage / backstage
    - logistics (for rented equipment / furniture)
    What else am i missing which is really indispensable?

Usually when one organizes things and try to save money here and there, then there is always something going extremely wrong, for example thinking that 3 security guys would be enough and at the end not being able to control the crowd is a disaster, hair and makeup are always late, so few hairdressers is never an option. So either things are done well with required budget or it is a total madness...

How much would each pinpoint (service) cost a designer in your opinion or experience? How much do the production companies cost and what do their services imply? How does NYFW work? And what it takes to be an accredited designer on a schedule and be presented in the frames of NYFW?
    And in which parts it is possible to involve a sponsoring/collaborative approach like for example combining the venue with a gallery opening (mutual interest to have bigger crowd and entertaining content), using catering option with some restaurant promo as well as hairdressers salon demo, DJs launching their new singles and dressing assistants are all interns from fashion colleges, and models are friends, then everything is free, but we are all realistic and we all know that it is impossible to bring all these free options all together at once on one particular evening....

So seriously what is the optimal budget for the decent fashion show in New York?
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Did you mention coordinator?
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• MikeN
      • Nov 2007

Show at Milk Studios which is second to Lincoln Center during NYFW and they will basically pay for everything.

Comment

• malevich
        • Jun 2012

Thanx for the Milk Studios hint, but what is their interest in paying for everything?

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎