X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HWith
    • May 2007

Dying a suede *bag*

I have a suede bag I want to dye black. I saw the shoe-dying thread already, but I'm afraid that since it's a bag the process might be different, as the leather is probably thinner/softer and it's pretty important that the dye doesn't rub off too much, where it's not that important when it comes to shoes. I've searched online and leather 'experts' can't seem to agree on the subject. Some say it's impossible while others say it's doable. Do anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks in advance!

My guess is that you could probably reduce the bleed if you treat the bag with something after you've dyed it, like some kind of mink oil or wax or waterproofing spray, and let it dry for a few days before you start using it. you will also have to brush it to get the velvety appearance back from the suede surface. Before you use it the first time, check how resistant it is by taking a cloth and rub it to see what happens. worth noting is that it's probably good to let the dye dry properly before you treat it, so the dye doesn't get mixed into the mink oil while applying.

Comment

• michael_kard
      • Oct 2010

I have done this, applying matte black shoe polish on a sponge to dye the leather and then adding leather oil to stabilize it. I then left it for a few days to dry. It looks very nice now, kind of waxy, but I'm sure a metal brush would make it more suede-like again.
      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎