• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

London shopping, sights, etc.?

So, I am going to London on Wednesday to visit my friends. I think we should start shopping by city threads.

So far on my list is

Dover Street Market

http://www.doverstreetmarket.com

The Pineal Eye - 49 Broadwick St.

The Library - 268 Brompton Rd.

Martin Margiela boutique - http://maisonmartinmargiela.com/index.php?w=content/_3_world_mmm/_03_uk/_2_shop

I
    am not sure which department stores to hit, if any. I really want
    to check out some Shaun Leane stuff in person. On his website I
    only see Harvey Nicks and Harrods as dept stores carrying his line (I
    don't know what those other stores are), which pretty much narrows it
    down to HN.

I am also going to Tate Modern, and to Chelsea -
    Liverpool game on Sunday. That's about all. Any suggestions
    would be appreciated.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • dontbecruel
    • Sep 2006

Re: London shopping, sights, etc.?

Dover Street Market and a Liverpool game. What a lucky boy you are!

While you're at The Library (which I hate) have a look at the Issey Miyake shop next door, which is architecturally quite interesting, although I'm not sure they sell men's clothes any more. There's also the big Conran Shop over the road, if you like furniture, with a beautiful restaurant (Bibendum) upstairs.

The best department store is Liberty by a mile, but that's gone downhill a bit on the menswear front over the last 2 seasons. I only go to Selfridges for Kiehl's, which you have to be crazy to buy at the price it sells for here (personally I don't much like HN either). As far as West End boutiques go I suppose you probably know Browns on South Molton Street, but have you ever been to B-Store? It's round the corner from the Margiela shop and Dover Street, on Saville Row. It's run by a couple of very nice people and it doesn't have any of the monied, corporate feel of Browns. They sell Bernhard Willhelm, Siv Stoldal, Peter Jensen, Stephan Schneider, Ute Ploier etc etc and make their own shoes (which are a bit hit and miss). If you make it to Shoreditch, as well as Start which I think I told you about already, there is a small shop and cafe called no-one that sells some of the same young London designers as B-Store.

Have you ever been to Muji either here or in Japan? If not, I recommend that too. Even if you don't love the cheap clothes (which I do) the stationery is irresistible.

Finally, please go to the British Museum and look at the ancient Persian and Greek sculpture. Tate Modern is good, but not that good. I think you will just miss the Howard Hodgkin exhibition at Tate Britain, which is a shame. But, lucky for you, you'll be just in time to see The Fall play live at 93 Feet East on Wednesday night!

Comment

• Buckwheat
      • Sep 2006

Faust - you have to take some pictures back. Did you get a new camera yet?

Have a great time there. Are you going to see Johnny and Helena?

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

No, no new camera yet. I am waiting for one of those Dell
        deals, they usually come out once a month. I am taking my trusty
        SLR, which takes MUCH better pictures, but I'll have to find a scanner.

DBC,
        I've been to London before, so I've visited the British museum,
        naturally. I am aiming for this trip to be less touristy and more
        just hanging out with friends. I've been to Muji in Milan.
        It's cool, but for some reason it's one of those stores where I like
        everything, just not enough to actually spend money, lol. Thanks
        for your other suggestions.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
          • Sep 2006

Didn't mean to be patronising Faust, sorry. I could babble on forever about all the things I want people to see in London. I hope you have a good time.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]Didn't mean to be patronising Faust, sorry. I could babble on forever about all the things I want people to see in London. I hope you have a good time.
            [/quote]

No, no, you weren't patronising at all, don't worry! I appreciate all suggestions, honestly (besides, you didn't know I've been to London before). Thanks again and let me know what else I could see.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sbw4224
              • Sep 2006

Faust, if you're looking to go to some good pubs I have a few to suggest.

1. Jerusalem Tavern - best beer in town, period. A 3 minute walk from the Farringdon stop.

Cittie of Yorke - Very cool and historically authentic pub if you like
              a very quiet place that makes for great conversations with
              friends. Good selection of Sam Smith beers. A 2 minute
              walk from the Chancery Lane stop.

3. Spaniards Inn
              - This is an old inn with a very tasty Sunday roast selection.
              It's rumored to have been the hangout of a few well known bandits a few
              hundred years ago. It's a bit more out of the way of central
              London. It borders Hampstead Heath, and directions are best found
              online.

You've pretty much got all the good
              stops covered in terms of stores. I could spend a lot of time in
              Dover Street Market. Definitely my all-time favorite store.
              \

Anyway, I apologize if you aren't into pubs.

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

I'm visiting some friends in London myself and must say the Future architecture exhibit at the Barbican center is a must see if you're interested in innovative/out-there, philosophically motivated design concepts.

If you want to see a pub that was once classified as the most beautiful in London, go to the Salisbury (quite far away from the center though, maybe a good occasion to try one of the hundreds of turkish restaurents out-there) Address: 1, Grand Parade, Green Lanes, London, N4 1JX. Be warned it's not the coolest place in London, just a very interesting looking one located in a burrough that is entirely tourist free.

I've been hearing good things about the Saatchi gallery (venue where you can find the work of popular/up and coming British artists) but have never been myself, it's near the Tate modern so this might be a place you could check out easily.

Small section about shopping:

I'm thinking of purchasing two items :

1)Ann Demeulemeester stripped, semi translucid hoodie with oversized dark hood, found in dover street market-xs left and at liberty -s and medium left. sadly it's hard to compare two fits at two different stores (xs and s) what is the usual/expected sizing chart for Ann D? (ie is xs a 34/44 or 36/46) I think I'm usually a small but the cut seems good for both and it's a layering piece anyway. Oh and it's €250 so if anybody knows where I can get a better deal i'm all ears.

2)Raf Simons oversized hoodie with unzipping hood and high colar. They sell those at Pineal eye (black) and Dover (grey) although if I remember correctly it<s like €210 dover/€275 pineal [:|]. Would any of you buy those and once again did you see them in Paria or elsewhere at a better price.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

That's cool, thanks guys. SBW, I'm into everything - from a swanky lounge to a pub, and from a hip hotel to a student hostel or a tent if hking.

Fuuma, I think those pieces are up on luisaviaroma, if I'm not mistaking - you can compare prices there. Anyway, I think Ann Dem and Raf are cheaper in Europe, even in London (keep in mind that you'll probably get the VAT back). I say go for it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sbw4224
                    • Sep 2006

Fuuma, before you purchase something in London, make sure that store is
                    involved in the VAT refund program. I know most larger stores
                    (Selfridges, Liberty etc) give you the necessary papers for a VAT
                    return, but some of the smaller ones might not (Pineal Eye).

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="sbw4224"]Fuuma, before you purchase something in London, make sure that store is involved in the VAT refund program. I know most larger stores (Selfridges, Liberty etc) give you the necessary papers for a VAT return, but some of the smaller ones might not (Pineal Eye).
                      [/quote]

You're totaly right, I love those little VAT booths in department stores....I'm not sure I'll get something though, not in a purchasing mood right now...

Comment

• darkanimal
                        • Sep 2006

Anyone know how long it takes for that VAT thing to get processed at
                        the airport? I will get a good refund from Browns but I don't want to
                        miss my flight. Btw I was at the Rick Owens store in Palais Royal,
                        Paris earlier. Friendliest staff I swear. More detailed story soon, as
                        French keyboard layout is a pain in the ass to type!

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="darkanimal"]Anyone know how long it takes for that VAT thing to get processed at the airport? I will get a good refund from Browns but I don't want to miss my flight. Btw I was at the Rick Owens store in Palais Royal, Paris earlier. Friendliest staff I swear. More detailed story soon, as French keyboard layout is a pain in the ass to type![/quote]

VAT processing=quite quick

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

I second that. Liberty was the nicest store I went to... good selection (albeit eclectic really) and the staff was way nice!

As for VAT, Liberty processes everything at a counter and then you just hand the papers/receipt to the person working the VAT at the airport and they immediately hand you cash (in the form you desire). Very very very quick!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• sbw4224
                              • Sep 2006

Darkanimal, I can't wait to see your pickup's at Browns. I was
                              kinda snubbed with service the few times I visited, but they did have a
                              decent selection.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎