X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbw4224
    • Sep 2006

Cloak S/S 07

It's slowly growing on me, however, like most things, I need to see it in person.

• sbw4224
    • Sep 2006

Re: Cloak S/S 07

Comment

• keith
      • Sep 2006

It definitely isn't growing on me, and I took an extra day to look it over.

The fabrics, the cut, the presentation--I think it looks fucking awful. At a time when I know they really need to move product, maybe he was trying to make something more accessible.. but this seems like a step backwards, and a step away from the look that the loyal customers love. I'm not getting what he's trying to do here.

Also, I'd say about half the looks on the runway are plain boring, and that's never a good sign. Seriously, wtf:

Comment

• sbw4224
        • Sep 2006

Have they been doing badly in sales?

You're right
        about the presentation. Most are pretty boring in themselves, but
        I'm going to try and have faith in Cloak here and say there are a few
        decent pieces that can be salvaged from the collection. As a fan
        of the dark gothic and military influences of the past collections, I'd
        say I'm disappointed. A lot of this could have easily fit into
        his earlier collections, like this from 2002.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

I agree... the military styling is lacking in this collection thus far... but the footwear looks like an improvement over the weird leather/suede combos he used before that made the shoes look so so cheap (and the bags too! god they looked cheap!)
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• mass
            • Sep 2006

i love the side-laced shoes! overall though, like many, i'm a bit dissapointed. i think it's quite boring.

Comment

• xcoldricex
              • Sep 2006

very unimpressive. what are they thinking over at cloak? has everyone left already?

Comment

• Monty76
                • Sep 2006

Yeah i definetely see some raf influence with the zipper jacketsand matallic pants... im also not impressed with the collection although i still think that cloak does the perfect skinny pant for normal size people (and that is still apparent in a few of the looks from this collection)

Comment

• kucejoe
                  • Sep 2006

Hmm, Cloak is my favorite brand, but with this collection I think I may have to replace "is" with "was".

While I love the old Cloak military aesthetic, I also understand the need to 'move on' design wise and innovate, but this is not innovation. If anything, this is a step sideways in concept and in execution...it seems to be a a giant step back. The thing I liked about Cloak so much was that the military style was so well executed and that there were so many great details. It all work together............and damn it, it looked great.

The new collection does not seem to have any of those great details and I totally agree on the Raf Simons influence. I'm just disapointed. Seeing Cloak in store was what got me interested in fashion and it has been my favorite brand. There is no item that I have seen from this collection that I might want and alot of the execution just seems half-assed.

I am hoping that the translation from runway to store will result in me liking some of the items...and I hope next season is better.

Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

• xcoldricex
                    • Sep 2006

wonder why they suddenly decided to use shiny fabrics. or maybe they have been, i haven't really been following cloak lately. but it's a bad move nonetheless.

Comment

• malek
                      • Sep 2006

I'm disappointed, the lastAW collection was much better...

Comment

• darkanimal
                        • Sep 2006

It's abandon ship for me, the boots I'm willing to see it up close if I like it or not. I do believe you can still do something cool with the military style aesthetic. This new collection doesn't have any indication of that. I have heard that they expanded so much so fast thatthe effects are the needto recover financially.

Comment

• sbw4224
                          • Sep 2006

It's what happens when GQ blows you up. I saw in one issue a
                          guide to buying pieces of a suit seperately. They listed
                          something like Brooks Brothers, Banana Republic, then Cloak.
                          Cloak?! Come on, that doesn't even make sense in that
                          category.

Comment

• Avantster
                            ¤¤¤
                            • Sep 2006

The first thing that struck my mind scrolling through the images was Raf, gone rather horribly wrong. I really would not know this was Cloak had I just looked at the pictures.

Very disappointing - and if the poor level of garment quality control continues, I really can't see what there is to look forward to.. except for perhaps the boots - and next season.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

It's really bad. It's like he hired someone else to do it. I don't like it when a designer does something and than does something completely utterly unrelated. I would not mind it if I could still discern Cloak in it. I think that a designer is known for his STYLE, that is his way of doing things that are discernible. Even someone like McQueen who can do one thing one season and a completely different one the next season will still have a discernible signature. Can anyone discern Cloak here?

Another thing - "Cloak" is about tailoring. Look at the Cloak crest carefully, it has the artisanal tailoring signs such as thimble and cissors. Alex has mentioned that tailoring is the underlying theme of his collections. I don't see any of it, at least not from the pictures.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎