Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dontbecruel
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]i&#39;d probably go with 3 women.[/quote]</p>

I&#39;m crazy about that one too. He made so many fascinating films in the 70s. What about that gambling one, Brewster McCloud, or whatever it&#39;s called, or Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or A wedding? And they&#39;re just his minor films!</p>

Comment

• Jorge Hache
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Hi Fumma</p>

Of your 60&#39;s list i love </p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="color: black"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Breathless</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="color: black"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Band of outsiders</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="color: black"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Blow-up</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="color: black"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Belle de jour</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="color: black"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Once upon a time in the west</font></span></p>

La dolce vita is a great movie also</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;gutpocho&quot;]

Hi Fumma</p>

Of your 60&#39;s list i love </p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="color: black"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Breathless</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="color: black"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Band of outsiders</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="color: black"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Blow-up</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="color: black"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Belle de jour</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="color: black"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Once upon a time in the west</font></span></p>

La dolce vita is a great movie also</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

Nice.</p>
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

<u>Fuuma&#39;s top 100 movies: 80s</u></p><ul style="margin-top: 0cm" type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Choice of arms/Choix des armes, le/France/Corneau/1981: Classic post ww2 French gangster (Montand) meets the new breed of 80s disenfranchised small time street thug (Depardieu). Corneau manages to make a film that is both a confrontation between two genres of filmmaking/characters and a compelling story with well developed protagonists</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Under suspicion/Garde &agrave; vue/France/Miller/1981: Intimist drama between a tough cop (Ventura) and a disenchanted bourgeois suspect (Serrault)</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Clean slate/Coup de torchon/France/Tavernier/1981: An American noir novel transposed to the French African colonies and masterfully directed by Tavernier. Violence and evil was never this banal and friendly</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Knock on wood/Ch&egrave;vre, la/France/Veber/1981: Hilarious buddy film where Depardieu plays straight man to funnyman Richard&rsquo;s pathetically unlucky looser.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">My dinner with Andre/USA/Malle/1981: Just two guys talking during a restaurant meal, doesn&rsquo;t sound like much but you&rsquo;ll be impressed. </font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Blade runner/USA/Scott/1982: Thought provoking, visually impressive and aiming at making us think about the actual world we live in, this is sci-fi at its best.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">To our loves/&Agrave; nos amours/France/Pialat/1983: Pialat&rsquo;s cinematic style is a mixture of documentary realism tampered by a painter&rsquo;s eye. This is now available on DVD (criterion) and the extras really give an insight into his filmmaking process</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Sans soleil/France/Marker/1983: A cinematic essay (how rare is this?!) on time, space and the cultural landscape. Marker is truly an innovative filmmaker, I&rsquo;d be hard pressed to compare him to anyone else</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Paris, Texas/Germany/Wenders/1984: A haunting road movie, set in America, made by a German.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Betty blue/37,2 le matin/France/Beinex/1986: Great adaptation of an amazing book. </font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Last emperor, the/Italy/Bertolucci/1987: Saw this in 87 (when I was a kid) and have been in awe of the movie ever since. A sprawling epic</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Akira/Japan/Otomo/1988: An absolute classic of the cyberpunk AND animation genres. </font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Killer, the/HK<span> </span>Woo/1989: Bullet ballet and melodramatic heroism at it&rsquo;s best, this movie owes a lot to Le Samourai (see 60s on my list). </font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Kiki&rsquo;s delivery service/Japan/Miyazaki/1989: Had to have one Miyazaki in there, perfect if you have kids, perfect if you don&rsquo;t. This one is truly endearing and covers all the classic Miyazaki themes: flight, coming of age, love, magic/the mystical world, old European architecture. You have to marvel at the way the characters move, perfectly evoking human mannerisms</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Crimes and misdemeanors/USA/Allen/1989: This one asks very serious questions about guilt and the consequences of your actions, all wrapped up in Allen&rsquo;s usual brand of self-deprecating humour</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Do the right thing/USA/Lee/1989: The look is firmly set in the 80s but the story concerning racism is anything but dated. I like how Lee manages to give a convincing performance in his own movie, something few directors accomplish. </font></font></span>[/list]

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

<u>Fuuma&#39;s top 100 movies: 90s</u></p>

</p><ul style="margin-top: 0cm" type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Goodfellas/USA/Scorsese/1990:
            The camera sweeps and turns to make us part of a mafia crew for a few
            exhilarating decades.</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Man bites dog/C&#39;est arriv&eacute; pr&egrave;s
            de chez-vous/Belgium/Belvaux/Ponzel/Poelvoorde/1992: A black comedy about
            the relationship between observer and subject, in this case illustrated by
            watching a fake documentary crew as they follow and get gradually more
            involved, with a psychopathic thief </span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Hard Boiled/HK/Woo/1992: The
            most impressive pure action movie I&rsquo;ve ever seen, the final showdown in
            the hospital is masterful</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Farewell my
            concubine/Chine/Kaige/1993: A magnificent walk through Chinese
            transformation during the 20<sup>th</sup> century and probably Leslie
            Cheung&rsquo;s greatest performance</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Three colors: Blue/Trois
            couleurs: Bleu/France/Kieslowski/1993: Binoche shows great skill in
            approaching this difficult role, the tints and images are gorgeous and
            this re-interpretation of the three colors of the French flag
            (blue=liberty) take on a whole different meaning. </span><span lang="EN-CA">Liberty</span><span lang="EN-CA"> is used here in the sense of
            severing all points of contact with pain and social interaction, after the
            death of a loved one.</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Exotica/Canada/Egoyan/1994: A
            movie about a strip club that is neither vulgar nor about sexuality/money,
            but concerns remembrance, guilt and parenthood, no really</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Three colors: Red/Trois
            couleurs: Rouge/France/Kieslowski/1994: the final chapter of the
            trilogy, Kieslowski&rsquo;s fascination with chance encounters is made
            especially interesting by the great ending.</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Chungking</span><span lang="EN-CA"> express/HK/Wong/1994: The
            lives of 20-something aimless characters intersect amid a thoroughly
            modern urbanity in these two mingled love stories. Wong-Kar-Wai film uses
            saturated colors and freeze frame to elevate these glimpses into
            instantaneity into moments to be remembered.</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Hate/Haine,
            la/France/Kassovitz/1995: Another great film about racism, this one has a
            B&amp;W documentary feel and some natural acting that makes it a pleasure
            to watch</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Maborosi/Japon/Kore-eda/1995: A
            meditation on loss. The character arc of the main character, told in
            images and through mostly silent acting, is what makes this movie
            incredible</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Ridicule/France/Leconte/1996: a
            western, set in 18 century </span><span lang="EN-CA">France</span><span lang="EN-CA">, where duels aren&rsquo;t fought
            with guns but words (I&rsquo;m paraphrasing something Ebert said about the
            movie)</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Made in Hong Kong/HK/Chan/1997:
            Chan movies are mainly concerned with the relationship between </span><span lang="EN-CA">Hong Kong</span><span lang="EN-CA"> and the mainland and what it
            entails in term of identity</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Hana-bi/Japon/Kitano/1997:<span> </span>A contemplative and poetic film
            punctuated by disturbing explosions of violence</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Cure/Japon/Kurosawa
            (Kiyoshi)/1997: Kurosawa has made a name for himself crafting existentialist
            horror films that owe as much to Sartre as to traditional b-movie fare.</span><li class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-CA">Mission</span><span lang="EN-CA">, the/HK/To/1999: IMHO the 90s
            were </span><span lang="EN-CA">Hong
            Kong</span><span lang="EN-CA">&rsquo;s
            cinematic decade and this movie, courtesy of the very innovative Milky
            Way&rsquo;s studio head Johnnie To, ends those years with a bang; a quirky,
            offbeat, character driven gangster movie that goes everywhere but where
            you most expect it.</span>[/list]

</p>

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

The Red, Blue, White trilogy is awesome. I had the Blue poster on my kitchen wall for a long time. Oh, and I must buy Kiki&#39;s Delivery Service for my daughter.</p>

Great list, Fuuma. I&#39;m just happy there are no Jarmush films on it - I think he is nothing but hype.</p>

I was a little surprised that you have neither Reservoir Dogs nor Pulp Fiction on your list!</p>
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;Faust&quot;]

The Red, Blue, White trilogy is awesome. I had the Blue poster on my kitchen wall for a long time. Oh, and I must buy Kiki&#39;s Delivery Service for my daughter.</p>

Great list, Fuuma. I&#39;m just happy there are no Jarmush films on it - I think he is nothing but hype.</p>

I was a little surprised that you have neither Reservoir Dogs nor Pulp Fiction on your list!</p>

[/quote]</p>

Kieslowski has really built a world of his own, dominated by happenstance and grand meaning given to personal gestures. As for Kiki and other Miyazaki, well kids usually love them so good idea.</p>

I actually like Jarmusch, like a recently posted (on tfs I think) I think he brings his own skewed vision to everyday situations and I appreciate that. I also share his new wave sensibilities. Same thing for Tarantino, I definitely liked some, if not all, of his movies.</p>

Comment

• dontbecruel
                  • Sep 2006

Glad there&#39;s a Miyazaki on your list. I think all of his films apart from Howl are among the best of the past 20 years. Even when you go back to his early TV shorts like Panda KoPanda, he has a beautiful vision. He really reminds me of Yohji&#39;s remark that fashion is about &quot;designing time&quot;. His imagination is populated by things as various as aeroplanes from the 1930s, European buildings from the 18th century, the Japanese countryside of his youth, the way that a certain girl of a certain age plays. These all take on a new meaning once they are recreated in a new space in time. And they will create a new kind of beauty again when the films are watched in 100 years.

Comment

• mass
                    • Sep 2006

suprised there is no tarkovsky...

good call on the fruit chan picture.

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                      • Sep 2006

Glad to see Atom Egoyan in the list, movies like Exotica or Sweet Hereafter are among my favourites, he can portrait really quirky or disfuctional characters (more humanly and emotional) in a better way than any director of his genetation, way less hype than Jarmusch or Tarantino but more rewarding and provocative.</p>

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                        • Sep 2006

Kitano and Kieslowski are also personal favourites, the Three Colors Trilogy is great but some of their early movieslike Blind Chance (which inspired movies likeTykwer&#39;s Run Lola Run) are worth seeing too.</p>

</p>

Comment

• mass
                          • Sep 2006

i think egoyan often gets overlooked because he's canadian.

love kieslowski... the decalogue was actually my introduction to him. oh dear...

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]suprised there is no tarkovsky...

good call on the fruit chan picture.[/quote]</p>

Oh,
                            yea, good call. I would think that he is a fairly narrow figure
                            in what he does. His films are so powerful, but you really need
                            to follow the closely, which can get difficult because they are so
                            sparse.</p>
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span lang="EN-CA"><u>Fuuma&#39;s top 100 movies: 2000s</u></span></font></font></p><ul style="margin-top: 0cm" type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span lang="EN-CA">Code Unknown/Code inconnu/France/Haneke/2000: Haneke&rsquo;s masterful film on the new </span><span lang="EN-CA">Europe</span><span lang="EN-CA"> and its impact on various ethnic groups, the movie also explores communication dynamics and mixed messages. The disjointed, unfinished scenes really add something, illustrating the vagaries of human contact in a very palpable way.</span></font></font><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">In the mood for love/HK/Wong/2000: Languid exploration of an impossible love in the HK of the 60s. WKW reached his aesthetic pinnacle with this; looking at people smoking was never this exhilarating.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span lang="EN-CA">Battle</span><span lang="EN-CA"> royale/Japan/Fukasaku/2000: B-movie social critique about a high school class send on an island to exterminate each other. I love the clash of high school dynamics and repeating machineguns. Fukasaku once again lets the ugly side of post-war Japanese society fester to the surface</span></font></font><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">24 Hour Party People/UK/Winterbottom/2002: I never tire of watching this movie; it&rsquo;s so energetic and unabashedly cheerful, even when everything crashes around the main character. I don&rsquo;t have much to say about it though, contrary to pretty much every entry on the list I don&rsquo;t know much about the director&rsquo;s cannon (Winterbottom), I haven&rsquo;t noticed anything special about the direction as I&rsquo;m always so engrossed in the story I&rsquo;m affected by his technique instead of analyzing it. Oh and post-punk rocks!</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">OldBoy/Korea/Park/2003: &ldquo;Laugh, and the world laughs with you; cry, and you cry alone.&rdquo; Korean cinema has been one of the most dynamic of the last few years, this is my favourite entry but there are plenty to explore and it goes in all directions (comedies, melodrama, genre movie, romance, historical epics, psychological drama, etc.). Since this list is finished maybe I&rsquo;ll recommend some Korean movies next.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">The beat that my heat skipped/De battre mon c&oelig;ur s&#39;est arr&ecirc;t&eacute;/France/Audiard/2005: This movie had such a strong, visceral impact the first time I watched it the stewardess had to remind me to turn off my ipod because the plane was landing. That it can pack such a punch on a small screen in this context says a lot about its emotional charge. What it&rsquo;s about: a young, restless man, torn between the sometimes harsh actions he thinks he must take to please various authority figures and find some kind of peace. Oh and since it&rsquo;s a fashion board maybe someone will know who made Romain Duris wardrobe, because the overall look is exactly what I like about the dressier side of clothing. </font></font></span>[/list]

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;dontbecruel&quot;]Glad there&#39;s a Miyazaki on your list. I think all of his films apart from Howl are among the best of the past 20 years. Even when you go back to his early TV shorts like Panda KoPanda, he has a beautiful vision. He really reminds me of Yohji&#39;s remark that fashion is about &quot;designing time&quot;. His imagination is populated by things as various as aeroplanes from the 1930s, European buildings from the 18th century, the Japanese countryside of his youth, the way that a certain girl of a certain age plays. These all take on a new meaning once they are recreated in a new space in time. And they will create a new kind of beauty again when the films are watched in 100 years.[/quote]</p>

</p>

I also enjoy the recurring motives in his work very much, it creates a sense of unity without making you feel like you&#39;re watching rehashed stories. I think that, aside from his exploration of spatial movements, Miyazaki&#39;s thematic interest lies in the tension created by the transition from what was to what will be (from childhood to adulthood, from rural to urban, from ancient/mystical to present day/industrial, etc.)</p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎