• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

Kanya Miki - Kosmetique Label

I wanted to share with you all an up and coming designer that I believe shows much potential.

Kanya Miki

Date of Birth: 10, January 1974 Born in Hyogo, Japan. Resident in Paris

• Graduated from Antwerp Royal Academy of Fine Arts with Highest honors Prize

• Worked at Walter Van Beirendonck as assistant designer

• Worded at John Galliano as assistant designer

November 2004 Started my own line, KOSMETIQUE LABEL

January 2005 1 st collection at Showroom in Paris

About KOSMETIQUE LABEL
    "The most important thing at this time of departure for my original
    brand, KOSMETIQUE LABEL, is to create unisex style clothes. I express
    my style which fits both men and women, with changing sizes, even in
    the same design.

And I think it is the style that expresses his or her personal character."

"The most important thing for me is to make people look elegant when they are dressed.

I would like to express this also in work pants or sweat shirts, which
    are essentially called working-wear or sportswear."

"I also would like to create in my collection my own experiences I have had in Europe and my Japanese background."

(Quoted from Modenatie FFI)

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

Re: Kanya Miki - Kosmetique Label

A number of pieces from an older collection:

Some of his 'working-wear or sportswear' inspired items:

The man himself wearing this green jacket:

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Avantster
      ¤¤¤
      • Sep 2006

06 S/S Collection

Comment

• Avantster
        ¤¤¤
        • Sep 2006

06 AW Collection

Here is a more detailed photo that can give you more an idea of the details. Check out the pants - I think they are beautiful!

Comment

• xcoldricex
          • Sep 2006

some nice stuff... what are the prices like?

Comment

• Avantster
            ¤¤¤
            • Sep 2006

On average his shirts are around 40,000 Yen while his jackets are around 100,000 Yen.

Here's a link with prices of some of those older pieces: http://www.hfweb.jp/arrival/arrival_maw_051104.html

He has a showroom in Paris. It seems mainly places in Asia stock his clothes for now (Isetan & Midwest in Tokyo, Shine in HK, & Library London)

Yes NDF - those sneakers I can definitely do without!

I wonder if I can find some photos from his Antwerp Royal Academy of Fine Arts graduation... after all he did graduate with Highest Honors Prize!

Comment

• xcoldricex
              • Sep 2006

hm, i don't think i saw them at isetan (tokyo) or midwest (osaka branch though). do you happen to have any of his pieces?

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

Sadly not, being located where I am, I hardly get to even see any lesser known labels! [*-)]

Apparently it's at Isetan Tokyo on 2F close to where Galliano, KVA, & Rick Owens are? I didn't notice it either when I was there beginning of this year - then again I didn't know about him back then, haha.

I wonder if there is much of a market for Kosmetique, I would certainly like to see him grow. Thought I'd also share a pictures of the man himself wearing his own clothes.

Comment

• droogist
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Avantster"]

I wonder if I can find some photos from his Antwerp Royal Academy of Fine Arts graduation... after all he did graduate with Highest Honors Prize!

[/quote]Here's a low-quality scan of his graduation collection, from Nº D Magazine (curated by Olivier Theyskens). I was at the show, and he really brought down the house. (In case you can't make out what's going on, the rail mechanisms are fused with the garments - not very functionally, but cool-looking nonetheless)

contemporaryfashion.net

Comment

• xcoldricex
                    • Sep 2006

found some here

and another picture:

Comment

• xcoldricex
                      • Sep 2006

Comment

• Avantster
                        ¤¤¤
                        • Sep 2006

NDF, I can certainly see where you're coming from. Most of his jackets are elongated and his trousers have a slightly dropped crotch. And it is rather unforgiving. You raise an interesting point - when designing garments should you be willing to sacrifice your vision at all for sales? After all, it is a business..

What draws me towards his clothes most is the elegant tailoring that falls and drapes on the body in a natural/organic yet unusual way. But as much as I like it, I wonder if there is a market for it? I would really like to see him grow and develop further.

Droogist thanks for the picture. I envy you for being there, it must have been such an experience!

Coldrice, awesome. Aloharag!? Couldn't make much of the blog post through the translator where the pics came from. Perhaps they're considering carrying him?

I've managed to find a site of the 2002 Antwerp RAFA show, with some pictures and a short text interview with Kanya. Enjoy!

http://www.antwerp-fashion.be/SHOW20...TEN/kanya.html

Comment

• xcoldricex
                          • Sep 2006

i don't really see how the stuff is unforgiving, none of the blazers/jackets are cut in a way that they are super super skinny- i think an average person like myself would be able to pull them off just fine. the pants i can see.

i don't know, his price points are extremely high, even in japan for japanese standards. i'd imagine it being more expensive exported out of japan, which makes his pieces pretty unaffordable.

i still can't get over how badly presented the aw06 are presented- it's hard to get past that model, his hair, and the shoes.

Comment

• Verb
                            • Oct 2006

I really liked what I saw on TFS and even more now with the consolidated pics here. Will just have to try to get a tailored repro of some of this stuff because 100k yen is absurd!!

Comment

• Avantster
                              ¤¤¤
                              • Sep 2006

So aloharag is now I believe the first online retailer to stock Kosmetique.

It's a pretty tiny (and disappointing) selection but I am interested in the cropped wool stripe pants. Too bad the Small is out of stock already (or not stocked at all perhaps..)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎