• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Junya Watanabe

I think this guy is a genius when it comes to designing womenswear. Rei was so shrewd in giving him his own line. He is incredibly talented. His menswear is hit or miss for me, with more misses lately than hits, unfortunately. Still, there is always something here and there that makes me admire him.

Some pictures.

SS06 - reconstructed trench coat. there was also a skirt made out of a trenchcoat.

FW 05 - Combining old-fashioned tweed and modern high-tech fabrics

SS05 - he used a lot of zippers and oversized snaps, which seem to be a favorite japanese designer accessory.

FW 04 - I liked how he experimented with the silhouette. I am not sure if it was flattering and comfortable in real life, but certainly looked great on the runway.

SS04 - I remember some garments beind done in ethereal fabrics, incredibly light.

FW03 - I remember this collection being dominated by tweed and garments having raw edges, which then ironically Karl reproduced for Chanel.

SS03 - the entire collection was dominated by parachute harnesses, which juxtaposed roughness of bondage and safety of a parachute at the same time.

More to come later.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Honey~Blade
    • Sep 2006

Re: Junya Watanabe

I hope you don't mind me cutting in, Faust. I just wanted to upload some pics of his S/S 06 Men's Collection. I do agree most of his menswear is a miss, but I always find individual pieces in each collection that are surprising upon closer inspection. His menswear also always looks kinda cheap on the runway too

Comment

• dontbecruel
      • Sep 2006

They look so much better styled like that than they did in the original catwalk.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Not at all, Honey~Blade. By all means, I encourage everyone to post. SS06 Mens did seem a little too "workmanlike" I agree. And while I understand and appreciate a copious amount of work that went into deconstructing and remaking the original garments, it still did not seem to warrant the price. Besides, Margiela has been doing this forever, although with a different underlying philosophy (giving life to old garments rather than reinterpreting the classics).

One notable exception was this reversible blazer, which I almost kept, but had to let it go in the end, having bought an LMaltieri coat and a jacket almost at the same time. The fabric was really amazing.

fabric detail

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• macuser3of5
          • Sep 2006

My only real beef with Watanabe's menswear is the prices... I nearly choked when I read the tag on a workwear jacket. Not quite as insane as Adam Kimmel's prices though.

Comment

• xcoldricex
            • Sep 2006

i think i've just had bad luck when seeing watanabe pieces. nothing ever jumps out at me. the ony one that did and i bought was the gore tex jackets. i got one in a herringbone fabric, and the cut was excellent (a nice departure from any other gore tex thing out there).

Comment

• Buckwheat
              • Sep 2006

I can always find something great in his collections. I like his way of making "something real...something that has history, that has a traditional shape...our way of originality....a new feeling for basics."

Like everyone has mentioned you have to get up close and examine the garments. It's the simple thing with a little twist that I like about his clothes.

I really like the SS06 collection actually...I just got my pointer coat from the mail and I couldn't stop checking out all the details in it.

And his womenswear is always amazing.

Yes I think one cannot justify the price by just seeing his clothes in basic or traditional shape (such as some of his Levi's collabrations)....I don't think I cannot justify the price of almost all the brands out there.

And NO I won't pay for full retail price for it....that's why we check ebay out constantly and our YOOX dreambox are always full [<:o)]

Comment

• Buckwheat
                • Sep 2006

and thanks for the pics and scan - Faust and Honey-Blade. Really like the SS06 collection scan HB. [Y]

Comment

• xcoldricex
                  • Sep 2006

could someone tell me the differences between his lines? eYe, man, jw cdg, etc.?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="xcoldricex"]could someone tell me the differences between his lines? eYe, man, jw cdg, etc.?
                    [/quote]

I think EYE is just a store that has unique stuff.

JW Man is menswear

JW for CDG is womenswear

JW Man Pink is menswear cut for womens bodies (awesome idea, btw)

I think that's about it, actually. There are also collabs with Levis, Lacoste, Moncler, Converse, and Acqacustum (sp?).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xcoldricex
                      • Sep 2006

so yoox (such a reliable source) is off when calling menswear pieces jw cdg?

Comment

• Johnny
                        • Sep 2006

technically the full name of his menswear line is Junya Watanabe Comme des Garcons MAN. Or is it Junya Watanabe MAN Comme des Garcons? Hmmm.....

His current collection is rubbish, all that army stuff.... It's incredibly expensive too. I saw a fatigues fabric jacket cut like a tuxfor Eur 1500! Euro 1500 to look like you were at Urban Outfitters (at best). It's the "concept tail" wagging the "aesthetic dog".

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

technically the full name of his menswear line is Junya Watanabe Comme des Garcons MAN. Or is it Junya Watanabe MAN Comme des Garcons? Hmmm.....

His current collection is rubbish, all that army stuff.... It's incredibly expensive too. I saw a fatigues fabric jacket cut like a tuxfor Eur 1500! Euro 1500 to look like you were at Urban Outfitters (at best). It's the "concept tail" wagging the "aesthetic dog".

[/quote]

2nd. SS06 wasn't that good, but this is worse. I thought that maybe luxurious fabrics will save this collection, but I didn't see any of that either. You can only go so far with taking garments apart and putting them back together - it gets stale as a driving force after a while.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                            • Sep 2006

I think his S/S 07 collection is the best. It's the perfect combination of sportswear and high fashion. Those track jacket inspired blazer's just look really neat, and they fit the models very well. But as many of you have said, I probably won't buy one unless steeply marked down, if I'm going to spend that much I'd rather get a regular nicely tailored blazer (jil sander, dior) that would get more use. But still, they look awesome:
                            http://men.style.com/slideshows/mens/fashionshows/S2007MEN/JWMEN/RUNWAY/00010m.jpg
                            http://men.style.com/slideshows/mens/fashionshows/S2007MEN/JWMEN/RUNWAY/00140m.jpg
                            http://men.style.com/slideshows/mens/fashionshows/S2007MEN/JWMEN/RUNWAY/00140m.jpg
                            http://men.style.com/slideshows/mens/fashionshows/S2007MEN/JWMEN/RUNWAY/00060m.jpg
                            music

Comment

• Buckwheat
                              • Sep 2006

AW 2000 collection...just so beautiful

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢