• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Comme des Garcons SS07 - Womens, Paris

This collection did not really appeal to me, although I am sure it will appeal to the patchwork/deconstruction loving CDG clientelle. And what's with the red circle, is it Rei being patriotic? And why is EVERYONE trying to put belts on the models boobs these days? Can't we leave the waistline where it supposed to be? Am I missing something? Some looks I thought were nice (the rest is on style.com)

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Comme des Garcons SS07 - Womens, Paris

the shoes are kind of cool, especially the white ones.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

lol, Faust, you took the words right out of my mouth regarding the belts. That empire silhouette is really becoming hackneyed.

I prefer Junya this season, even though it's a bit repetitive. Much better jackets and terrific variations on the white shirt.

I liked these two from CDG--the little bloomers are very cute. And I love how the dress looks like it is coming off her--not falling off, in a messy way, but being undone, in a mechanical way.

{style.com}

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

I think this is really not very impressive. It's beginning to look very very "samey". The last 3 or 4 collections are really just variations on a theme. I suppose that in itself that's not necessarily a disaster (I think Ann D does this) but for CDG it seems a failure rather than a success. This is because I think she is trying to be varied, but not quite getting there. There seem to me to be inherent limitations in her production process - all the frills anddeconstruction and fabrics look very similar. It's a weak collection. The comme universe is looking a bit defeated to my eyes at the moment. JW is better, but is also looking to have run out of new ideas.But I'm beggining to wonder what the point is in the three separate lines, esp with Tao. And they all seem so obsessed with concepts......... white shirts, reworked military, god save the queen. I have a novel idea: what about "nice clothes" as a theme.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]I think this is really not very impressive. It's beginning to look very very "samey". The last 3 or 4 collections are really just variations on a theme. I suppose that in itself that's not necessarily a disaster (I think Ann D does this) but for CDG it seems a failure rather than a success. This is because I think she is trying to be varied, but not quite getting there. There seem to me to be inherent limitations in her production process - all the frills anddeconstruction and fabrics look very similar. It's a weak collection. The comme universe is looking a bit defeated to my eyes at the moment. JW is better, but is also looking to have run out of new ideas.But I'm beggining to wonder what the point is in the three separate lines, esp with Tao. And they all seem so obsessed with concepts......... white shirts, reworked military, god save the queen. I have a novel idea: what about "nice clothes" as a theme.[/quote]

<Rei>That's an interesting concept, Johnny! I have to think about that </Rei>

I am beginning to think that CDG CDG maybe their best line, in retaining simplicity and wearbility while being excellent quality.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nqth
            • Sep 2006

Yes it is a bit of reworked Comme. This "looked like" her punk collection with razors, lips, studs and belts. For the aw06 collection she also kind of used all the Comme stuffs before and sewn them together. Sometimes even the staffs didn't know how to wear some dress-jkts. And esp. with TAO, the clothes have a very complicated construction.

It seems that she made this in the same idea as Evergreen, but she deconstructed her own collection.

You have to look close to see the details. All the pachworks are sewn on tiul. The nets are stiff but the trousers are my fav., patchwork, double waist line but one is uneven:-),transparent panel across the side and crotch...

Comment

• nqth
              • Sep 2006

There is a big fight in tFS over the using of the Japanese flag. And I am one of the "warrior" (unfortunately, or maybe fortunately).

I won't say a word here. But I would love to know your guys opinions:-)

Thanks.

Comment

• malek
                • Sep 2006

the pale make up is cool, i'm convinced that being as white as possible will be a major tendancy soon (in opposition to sun tanning...)

the shoes are nice too, but i don't really find the clothes beautiful...[8-)]

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="nqth"]

There is a big fight in tFS over the using of the Japanese flag. And I am one of the "warrior" (unfortunately, or maybe fortunately).

Thanks.

[/quote]

well, I was going to write something else to post here, but I'm kind of tired, so i'll just re-post here. (faust, i hope that's ok)

I think I agree with you in most respects, and I used your Rei quote to make my own point.

I agree with Rei that the flag is "the purest form of design in existence." It is a national
                  symbol, and as such it stands for something completely abstract: "The
                  Nation." It really can't be compared legitimately with the Nazi symbol.

The swastika, from its indo-european inception, was a cultural symbol,
                  standing for something very concrete (i.e., "well-being"); and it was
                  appropriated by Nazi culture for very concrete, specific, and horrific
                  purposes. There is no way the two can mean the same thing--if they did,
                  the Nazis wouldn't have needed both. There is no national flag on earth
                  that can stand in for the swastika, although I fully understand that
                  for some, certain flags carry very negative associations. No flag can
                  have such a narrow meaning though--it's against the nature of the
                  object.

I don't see any reason to assume that Rei is being nationalistic
                  here--as far as I am concerned, she is paying homage to a pure form of
                  design. Despite all her talk about the CDG Army (note, cdg, not
                  japanese), I don't see anything remotely militant in the clothes to
                  support accusations of nationalism. I realize that using a flag is
                  controversial and makes people uncomfortable; but personally, I think
                  causing discomfort is a good thing for a designer to do. It makes
                  people think and feel things...that's what we live for, right?

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• nqth
                    • Sep 2006

Yes discomfort could be a good thing sometimes:-)

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Sure thing. Sometimes it is very uncomfortable being a lone warrior! I am fulling expecting to get pumelled for that post later on.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she did this to make people feel uneasy--she practically says as much in the Vogue article.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="nqth"]

Thanks.

[/quote]

What's the big deal exactly? And how come noone yelled when she used the Union Jack two seasons ago?

Laika, I would also mention that the Nazis inverted the swastika, thus inverting the symbol.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

Good point about the swastika, Faust.

Ironic as it may be, I think the Union Jack's relationship to punk makes it a very safe fashion choice.

The CDG issue is over the ethics/politics of using the Japanese flag (given Japan's history with regard to the rest of Asia) in the collection. Some people were very uncomfortable with it, and compared it to using a swastika in the same context, which I think is a different matter altogether.

I don't have a problem with the flag, and I don't think its necessarily an expression of patriotism or nationalism.

I probably didn't do a very good job explaining myself though.....i think i need to change my language.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Good point about the swastika, Faust.

Ironic as it may be, I think the Union Jack's relationship to punk makes it a very safe fashion choice.

The CDG issue is over the ethics/politics of using the Japanese flag (given Japan's history with regard to the rest of Asia) in the collection. Some people were very uncomfortable with it, and compared it to using a swastika in the same context, which I think is a different matter altogether.

I don't have a problem with the flag, and I don't think its necessarily an expression of patriotism or nationalism.

I probably didn't do a very good job explaining myself though.....i think i need to change my language.

[/quote]

It is ironic to the point of horrifying. To take the flag of a country that has been THE guiltiest party in colonizing the world and make it safe, while fussing about a Japanese flag - oh, lordy!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                              • Sep 2006

Over here the Union Jack is strongly associated with skinhead facism. Although there are attempts to rehabilitate it from from time to time (e.g. by the Spice Girls or Morrissey) it is basically taboo and most people wouldn't be seen dead in it.

The Japanese flag is also considered to be of questionable taste by many in its own country, where it is associated by some with militarist nationalism, institutional racism against korean and chinese minorties, and unquestioning respect for the imperial family. It is not quite the same flag that flew over the hideous atrocities committed by the Japanese army in the war, but it's close enough!

Flags are considered "pure design" because a few colours on a piece of fabic can stand for a a great deal. So what they are perceived to stand for matters, I reckon.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎