X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Tailoring

I've recently found a pair of jeans I love (a rare occurence, I assure you), but they are unfortunately about 1 size too big for me. They are a very simple style, with a wide leg, and natural waist.

Does anyone have any experience with getting jeans tailored? Or, even better, can anyone recommend a good NYC tailor?

thanks in advance, guys

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Tailoring

[quote user="laika"]

I've recently found a pair of jeans I love (a rare occurence, I assure you), but they are unfortunately about 1 size too big for me. They are a very simple style, with a wide leg, and natural waist.

Does anyone have any experience with getting jeans tailored? Or, even better, can anyone recommend a good NYC tailor?

thanks in advance, guys

[/quote]

A lot of fashion people swear by this guy. I don't have first-hand account, but I've heard nothing but praises.

Best Tailors

Ramón Diaz

306 Mott Street

212-226-0747

There is a big difference between
    someone who can do alterations and a true tailor who can pattern a
    dress or construct a suit. Ramón Diaz has been expertly fixing clothing
    for fashion cognoscenti since 1969. Don't be shy about unusual
    requests. For Halloween, he made a full papal vestment for a mere $90.
    Hemming pants: $11.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

thanks Faust! I have heard of Ramon, maybe I will try him out. I suspect what I need is actual re-sizing and not just tailoring....I just hope this is possible with jeans.
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

Honestly, I would just get some different jeans. There are so manygreat jean companies I'm sure you can come across something that's perfect if you keep looking. Since jeans are all about the perfect fit, why buy a pair that doesn't fit? I've had the waist taken in on a couple pairs of jeans a few years ago when I lost some weight. The results were ok, but theydidn't get the waist quite small enough and I still hardly wear those jeans. The entire fit of the jean can change from different sizes, like how skinny the leg is, how they sit on your waist, how it hugs your butt haha, so if it's too big you may have to have more tailored than just the waist. But anyway, tailors can do amazing things so if the jeans are an absolute must have and the deal of the century, go for it.
        music

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

See, this is precisely why I am torn! The thing is, they are great jeans, very good price. I've been looking for a pair of wide leg (NOT flared) jeans with a higher waist for ages, and, as you can imagine, the NYC market is completely obsessed with skinny. (I mean, every girl on the COOP floor of Barneys is wearing them! [+o(] )

I am somewhat paranoid about trying to tailor them, because I'm really not sure how denim tailoring works...but I am inclined to think that because they are cut simply--more like wide-leg trousers--it might be ok.[*-)] Decisions, decisions...thanks for the input though, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎