X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

The one that got away...

OK, so I should be more of a Buddhist and detatch myself from material things, but damnit I still think about how I didn't buy this or that years ago. So maybe it will be better if we can all sulk, so what do you regret not getting from seasons past? I know it's stupid because there are always nice new things to lust after, but here are the ones I can't forget:

- In a Neiman outlet in Michigan, I came across a STACK of those super distressed black Dior jeans from Follow Me. I didn't even try them on! At the time I wasn't really looking for jeans so I passed them right up, doh!

- Saks outlet in Mich. (i don't live there) there was a black w/ silver lurex Dior blazer, on clearence for $200. This one I thought about for a good while but still passed it up. It was IT 48 so it didn't fit me perfectly (I wear IT 46) so I didn't get it. I thought if I'm going to buy Dior, it better fit like a glove. I will never find a dior blazer that cheap and minor alterations could have made it perfect.

-Saks outlet in florida, they had a bunch of Helmut Lang button ups on clearance for about $50 each. Luckily I did buy 2, but they have become my favorite shirts so I wish I would have bought every single one in my size.

The awful thing is, I have plenty of crap that I brought home from outlets cause it was such a deal, but when I really good deal was staring me in the face, I didn't take it up. OK, I'm moving on now...

music
  • xcoldricex
    • Sep 2006

Re: The one that got away...

what there's stuff in michigan?! i need to shop more. haha.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="casem83"]

OK, so I should be more of a Buddhist and detatch myself from material things, but damnit I still think about how I didn't buy this or that years ago. So maybe it will be better if we can all sulk, so what do you regret not getting from seasons past? I know it's stupid because there are always nice new things to lust after, but here are the ones I can't forget:

- In a Neiman outlet in Michigan, I came across a STACK of those super distressed black Dior jeans from Follow Me. I didn't even try them on! At the time I wasn't really looking for jeans so I passed them right up, doh!

- Saks outlet in Mich. (i don't live there) there was a black w/ silver lurex Dior blazer, on clearence for $200. This one I thought about for a good while but still passed it up. It was IT 48 so it didn't fit me perfectly (I wear IT 46) so I didn't get it. I thought if I'm going to buy Dior, it better fit like a glove. I will never find a dior blazer that cheap and minor alterations could have made it perfect.

-Saks outlet in florida, they had a bunch of Helmut Lang button ups on clearance for about $50 each. Luckily I did buy 2, but they have become my favorite shirts so I wish I would have bought every single one in my size.

The awful thing is, I have plenty of crap that I brought home from outlets cause it was such a deal, but when I really good deal was staring me in the face, I didn't take it up. OK, I'm moving on now...

[/quote]

Oh, man, you could've made a fortune off of those jeans and by yourself whatever you wanted!

Honestly, I don't have anything that was so overwhelmingly there that I passed up. A ton of stuff from Luster, but that's only it was all too long and there was no way of altering it. I guess I am pretty easy-going about these things. There were rather a few items for which I overpaid in order for them not to get away. This Ann Dem long/sleeve tshirt with silk-printed horse and one black/one white sleeve was $300, but I bit the bullet. As far as being a Buddhist, as long as your regret is not really hurting, but is just more of a wistful feeling, it's Ok. :-)

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkanimal
        • Sep 2006

My most recent one is from Cloak SS06, the Ash Denim Jacket. I was a few days late from the last day of sale. I actually hunted them and even found them in Yahoo Japan! I know it's ridiculous to buy something Cloak outside America, but when you're ready for something you are. I abandoned the obsession at the very last minute. I had to convince myself this is the first step to consume simple things, and that I triumphed.... hah who am I kidding? [:P]

Comment

• xcoldricex
          • Sep 2006

carol christian poell overlock (1st season) blazer. have been looking for it since i saw it at A. the one at A was cotton though, and i heard there was a better wool version. I could've afforded the cotton one at the time but I was not "initiatied" to spending large amounts of money on one piece. so i passed it up... still looking...

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Come to think of it, I remembr one item. It was a CDiem black
            leather shirt on Ebay. It was between that or a pair of Ann Dem
            boots, and looking back I think that I made the wrong choice.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

Yea, there is stuff in Michigan. I go to the detroit area occasionally cause it's only a few hours away and there are some good outlet malls in a short distance plus the upscale Somerset mall. I went again recently and none of the outlets had anything, so disapointing, it seems like outlets are only good the first time around. I used to outlet shop a lot because I couldn't fathom paying full designer prices. But now I've worked my way into paying full price, which is OK because I buy less but get exactly what I want.
              Anyway, this whole regret thing is part of how fashion really gets you. You know that after the season is done it's unlikely you will ever find certain pieces again, which can cause you to make at times irrational decisions. Oh well, the constant renewal is also part of the fun!
              music

Comment

• dontbecruel
                • Sep 2006

I mentioned this in the classifieds forum as a want-to-buy, but I'm going to repeat it here on this thread dedicated to lost loves. Perhaps someone can put me out of my misery...

Last
                winter (AW05/06) Yohji sold some really interesting knits. They were a
                tube shape, kind of like a woman's boob tube, with no sleeves and no
                neck, the same width at both ends.
                There were versions of this
                design in both the mainline and the Y's collections. It sounds strange
                I know but it looked great worn with a shirt with rolled-up sleeves
                underneath. It came in plain navy, black and in a couple of jacquard-type designs. Most (maybe all) of them have hand-wamer
                pockets in the front.

I persuaded myself when I was in Tokyo last
                Christmas that I didn't really need something so inpractical. I've
                regretted it ever since. I'm sure not many people will have bought such
                an eccentric design, so there must be loads of them somewhere on this planet, waiting for someone to love them!

Comment

• darkanimal
                  • Sep 2006

When this happens, I try to purchase two equally great pieces, then I stop whining.

Comment

• dontbecruel
                    • Sep 2006

If only I had your self control. [;)]

Comment

• dontbecruel
                      • Sep 2006

Miss of the century... 9 Y's For Men wool suits, brand new in their suit bags went as a job lot for £195 (yup, that's less than $400 for 9 brand new Yamamoto suits) this morning while I didn't have access to the internet. How could I have let this happen?

Comment

• xcoldricex
                        • Sep 2006

holy crap. that's insane. i'm sorry.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

I'm a dumbass, I just let a pair of NDC shoes go to someone else for $100. I usually snipe on Ebay, but I was just going to bid, and then I got busy with something else. Ooops...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

I mentioned this in the classifieds forum as a want-to-buy, but I'm going to repeat it here on this thread dedicated to lost loves. Perhaps someone can put me out of my misery...

Last
                            winter (AW05/06) Yohji sold some really interesting knits. They were a
                            tube shape, kind of like a woman's boob tube, with no sleeves and no
                            neck, the same width at both ends.
                            There were versions of this
                            design in both the mainline and the Y's collections. It sounds strange
                            I know but it looked great worn with a shirt with rolled-up sleeves
                            underneath. It came in plain navy, black and in a couple of jacquard-type designs. Most (maybe all) of them have hand-wamer
                            pockets in the front.

I persuaded myself when I was in Tokyo last
                            Christmas that I didn't really need something so inpractical. I've
                            regretted it ever since. I'm sure not many people will have bought such
                            an eccentric design, so there must be loads of them somewhere on this planet, waiting for someone to love them!

[/quote]

Was it anything like this?

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• dontbecruel
                              • Sep 2006

No, it was literally just a knit tube with fat seams at either end. But I love this thing too and have already been hunting for it since seeing it on the tfs thread. Not in the Antwerp Yohji megastore or London boutique, unfortunately. Let me know if you come across it in NY.

Thanks for thinking of me anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎