• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Anne Valerie Hash

One of my most favorite womenswear designers. I was most impressed with her earlier collections where she adapted menswear to womenswear in completely new ways (I remember the waist line of mens dress pants used in a womens top).

The denim jacket can be worn two ways - when it's worn upside down it makes a beautiful shawl collar.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Anne Valerie Hash

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
      • Sep 2006

This is absolutely my kind of thing. Reminds me a little of Dries womenswear, which is usually beautiful.

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

Great idea, faust. I have just one skirt from her that I've been wearing to death. I didn't like the fall collection so much, but I'm eagerly anticipating the spring show. I do find it a bit too ruffley sometimes, but the pieces you chose are really nice. I love that necklace too.
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]Great idea, faust. I have just one skirt
          from her that I've been wearing to death. I didn't like the fall
          collection so much, but I'm eagerly anticipating the spring show.
          I do find it a bit too ruffley sometimes, but the pieces you chose are
          really nice. I love that necklace too.
          [/quote]

That's the
          thing, she started out in a totally not frou-frou way. It was
          menswear taken apart and made into womenswear - not the way YSL did
          with recutting mens suits for female bodies, but making a dress out of
          mens pants and jackets, and so forth. The last season was too
          frilly, I agree.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

I need to go look up her old collections--I only discovered her recently. I really want to give you a standing ovation though, for your selections in this, and the other collection threads. If you discover a way to make a living by virtue of taste alone, you ought to go with it. [Y]

(I have to say though, these smilies are kind of dorky, lol)

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

I need to go look up her old collections--I only discovered her recently. I really want to give you a standing ovation though, for your selections in this, and the other collection threads. If you discover a way to make a living by virtue of taste alone, you ought to go with it. [Y]

(I have to say though, these smilies are kind of dorky, lol)

[/quote]

Thank you, laika - I appreciate your kind comment. Yes, I am considering trying to get into fashion journalism. We shall see. I'll start looking after I get my Masters this year. I have to find the old Wallpaper that had picture of the collection I am referring to. It's somewhere in my house.

And yes, the smilies kind of suck - but it's a minor drawback [;)]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Here is the description of much of what she does (I think she has departed from this way of making clothes in her last collections). This is from Victoria and Albert Museum in London, which is a big fashion patron.

Anne Valérie Hash

Anne
                Valérie Hash is one of the few women who designs for women. Her unique
                style is based on the deconstruction of menswear into impeccably cut
                womenswear. Its inspiration can be found in Coco Chanel, who borrowed
                from men’s wardrobes to dress the modern woman of the 1920s, and
                Madeleine Vionnet, who draped her designs directly onto a reduced
                mannequin.

Hash starts by undoing the seams
                in men’s jackets and trousers and wrapping the pieces around a
                12-year-old girl. She then reconstructs the garments in adult sizes.
                Why a child ? Hash explains, 'Because when you take adult-sized
                garments you can reduce them and play with the proportions easily.
                Which you can't on a grown-up.'

Born in Paris
                in 1971, Anne Valérie Hash graduated from the Chambre Syndicale de la
                Couture in 1995. After work placements at Nina Ricci, Christian
                Lacroix, Chanel and Dior, she presented her first collection in 2001.
                Two years later, she received the prestigious Andam Award for a
                promising young fashion designer, which had been given to Martin
                Margiela in 1989 and Viktor & Rolf in 1994.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Look on the first picture, you can discern the typical mens waist line on top of the dress (her jackets are just divine).

This skirt also looks like it was recut from mens dress pants.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

deconstructed mens frock

Aah! Looks like I don't have to look for that old Wallpaper after all. Look at the top of this dress.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Nice! I desperately wanted those short trousers with the super-high waist (they had them at VBS last year), but they were all gone in my size by sale time.

Very nice to meet a fellow student. What do you study then--is it related to clothes/fashion at all?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Nice! I desperately wanted those short
                        trousers with the super-high waist (they had them at VBS last year),
                        but they were all gone in my size by sale time.

Very nice to meet a fellow student. What do you study then--is it related to clothes/fashion at all?

[/quote]

No, I study literature. I am very ambivalent about fashion as an academic discipline.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

Rightfully so. I've been reading a lot of "fashion theory" for my research, and the contemporary stuff is not so good. Mostly out of Australia--they call it "dress studies" there.

On the other hand, there is some absolutely fantastic stuff by the Frankfurt School, and by the proto-FS--Simmel, Krakauer etc. Pretty much everyone dealing with the crisis of modernity wrote about fashion....it makes for fascinating reading.

Literature is a lovely field--so good for your writing too! What is your concentration?

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Rightfully so. I've been reading a lot of
                            "fashion theory" for my research, and the contemporary stuff is not so
                            good. Mostly out of Australia--they call it "dress studies" there.

On
                            the other hand, there is some absolutely fantastic stuff by the
                            Frankfurt School, and by the proto-FS--Simmel, Krakauer etc.
                            Pretty much everyone dealing with the crisis of modernity wrote about
                            fashion....it makes for fascinating reading.

Literature is a lovely field--so good for your writing too! What is your concentration?

[/quote]

My concentration is lack thereof!![:D]
                            Really, I've been taking classes on everything. It's more of a
                            cultural survey of Modernity. I did not want to be bogged down in
                            a narrow channel, partly because I am very ambivalent going into
                            a PhD program as well[:^)] . I don't want to be patted on
                            the shoulder and eagerly await approval of my every step. And
                            these days it seems like there is nothing interesting to write on for a
                            PhD. I just met a guy who is doing a PhD on celibacy in victorian
                            novel, or some shit like that. WTF?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

I know, i know....exactly my feelings. I'm not planning to stick around once i finish the degree. Celibacy in victorian novels, sheesh. That is exactly the kind of thing that makes academics so irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎