• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Harald Design, or Cloak for women

I totally forgot about this! Robert Geller, former partner in cr... eh Cloak launched a womenswear line, I believe about a year ago. I saw it once at Butter in Brooklyn, and I was not impressed with the spring stuff, but liked the fall stuff a lot. I think Butter dropped it, because it was pretty expensive off the bat (unlike Cloak that managed to marry decent prices to excellent design). Has anyone heard anything? Agent_L, maybe?

To the delight of the moody set, Robert Geller—formerly half of
    Cloak—has recently unveiled a new women's line, and we're pleased to
    report it's just as shadowy as the esoteric men's label. For Harald
    (named after his grandfather), the German-born Geller takes the rugged
    and dusty downtown cool of Cloak, stitches in just enough soft
    touches—i.e. scalloped trim, pleats, piping, ribbons, frill—and tops it
    with large, embroidered Arabic scarves for extra oomph. "The look is
    tough elegance," he says. "Imagine the frailty of a silk dress under a
    shell of leather and wool. There are also a lot of details that make
    the clothes special. Not too cute, but I like to add a bit of romance."
    Together, the leather bombers (his signature), appliquéd T-shirts,
    chunky cardigans, light-weight metallic tops and corduroy parkas recall
    a stint at Marc Jacobs, where, in fact, Geller met Cloak's founding
    designer, Alexander Plokhov. Somewhere in there is a joke about being
    strong enough for a man, but made for a woman—we'll spare you.

http://www.haralddesign.com/

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • sbw4224
    • Sep 2006

Re: Harald Design, or Cloak for women

For some reason, I thought this line was supposed to debut
    this fall. Or maybe I was thinking of women's line for
    Cloak?

I like the fall collection a lot, as
    well. It's just dark enough for my tastes, but also very
    wearable. It's too bad that the prices are extraordinary.
    Why do spin-off labels set such high prices right off the bat?

Comment

• Agent L
      • Sep 2006

Hey Faust. Yes I am well familiar with Robert Geller's line and his prior involvement with Cloak. Without disclosing too much info out of respect for both sides here's the story:

Alexandre and Robert met at Marc Jacobs. Alexandre and Robert decide to launch Cloak with the agreement that Cloak would be Alexandre's creative vision and Robert would finance it. Robert wanted to become more involved creatively but Alexandre stuck to his guns and that's how they parted ways. I am not one to disrespect anyone's creative abilities and/or credibility but Cloak's aesthetic has always been Alexandre's, not Robert's. And as a side note to all the Cloak fans out there, Spring 07 will be Cloak's final season as Alexandre will be introducing his womenswear alongside his menswear under his full name: Alexandre Plokhov. So hold onto all those Cloak pieces.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Agent L"]Hey Faust. Yes I am well familiar with Robert Geller's line and his prior involvement with Cloak. Without disclosing too much info out of respect for both sides here's the story:

Alexandre and Robert met at Marc Jacobs. Alexandre and Robert decide to launch Cloak with the agreement that Cloak would be Alexandre's creative vision and Robert would finance it. Robert wanted to become more involved creatively but Alexandre stuck to his guns and that's how they parted ways. I am not one to disrespect anyone's creative abilities and/or credibility but Cloak's aesthetic has always been Alexandre's, not Robert's. And as a side note to all the Cloak fans out there, Spring 07 will be Cloak's final season as Alexandre will be introducing his womenswear alongside his menswear under his full name: Alexandre Plokhov. So hold onto all those Cloak pieces.

[/quote]

Gotcha - sounds reasonable, although I am sure you have heard people saying that Geller was involved creatively. On a side note, can Alex take out all those unnecessary letter out of his name? I know it sounds exotic, but to a Russian speaker it's kind of strange [:P] (just kidding! well, kind of).

I think it's a pretty bold move to shed the Cloak name, no? It's become a very recognizable one, in certain circles. I don't think I've seen such a great fitting name for the aesthetic that Alex produces.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Agent L
          • Sep 2006

As far as the name goes, I had a hard time pronouncing Ann Demeulemeesters' name the first time : )

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Agent L"]As far as the name goes, I had a hard time pronouncing Ann Demeulemeesters' name the first time : )[/quote]

Me too - there is still no consensus on whether it's de-mu-le-mister or de-mu-le-mei-ster. And I made a conscious effort to learn the spelling - if I love her so much, I should at least know how to spell her name [;)].

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Agent L
              • Sep 2006

LOL! I totally agree. I just pronounce it based on whom I'm speaking with. My friends are even split down the middle. We have to get to the bottom of this!!!

Comment

• xcoldricex
                • Sep 2006

while we are on the pronounciation topic. how is poell pronounced? po-elle or po-wuhl?

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

I thought it was de-meu-le-mehster. With the "ee" part of "eester" pronounced like the "ay" in "say".

crap, should have asked when i was in antwerp.

Surprised to hear the Harald stuff is so expensive. I didn't care for the spring line at all, but the fall stuff looks kinda good. A women's line of cloak would be very interesting to me, provided Alexandre improves the consistency of his quality.

Does anyone know what the connection between Cloak and Opening Ceremony is? I notice that the same staff works in both places, interchangeably.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="xcoldricex"]while we are on the pronounciation topic. how is poell pronounced? po-elle or po-wuhl?
                    [/quote]

po-elle

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎