Clear All
  • xcoldricex
    • Sep 2006

Gareth Pugh

wow.

• djrajio
    • Sep 2006

Re: Gareth Pugh

I think I had a bad blind date that dressed like this. It's like a cross between Tron and 50s diner kitchen floor. Ironically I think this collection is awesome! You should post this on SF. They'd get a kick out of this.

Comment

• xcoldricex
      • Sep 2006

haha i can only imagine...

apparently a lot of it is made out of pvc too, haha!

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="djrajio"]I think I had a bad blind date that dressed like this. It's like a cross between Tron and 50s diner kitchen floor. Ironically I think this collection is awesome! You should post this on SF. They'd get a kick out of this.
        [/quote]

lucky you!

I find this creepy but awesome. I would have loved to see the show in person.

I don't really see the Tron thing though...reminds me more of those scary flying things in Lord of the Rings. More fantasy than sci-fi.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• djrajio
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

I don't really see the Tron thing though...

[/quote]

Polygons!

Comment

• droogist
            • Sep 2006

I absolutely loved this show; I remember feeling an instant surge of relief upon first seeing the pictures, after the mind-numbing embarassment that was NY Fashion Week.

In case anyone missed the news, some version of these will in fact be produced, courtesy of Ms. Rick Owens:

Sunday,October 01, 200609:40 PM

CASH FROM CHAOS

Take
            that, all those who bewail the beyond-bonkers unwearability of London's
            Gareth Pugh. He has found, it was confirmed today, a business-brained
            Parisian backer. She is Michele Lamy, Rick Owens' consort and éminence
            noire, who, for all her gold teeth and tattoos, has an excellent track
            record in translating the apparently scary designs of tall, pale young
            men into commercial sellers. Pugh wafted into the front row at Owens'
            show last night, and said, "I came over a month ago, and Michele picked
            out all the best bits I've done for the past four seasons. She's taken
            all of my homemade efforts and is making them in cashmere, leather, and
            mink. Major stuff." Added Lamy, "He asked to work for us when we began
            at Revillon. I heard his little voice on the phone, and Rick said,
            'He'll probably be a fat little English boy.'" Turned out they liked
            his long-streak-of-nothing look in the flesh—and the
            checkerboard-and-inflatable collections he's been doing since. Sales
            start this week.

Sarah Mower
            style.com

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

Wow, I wonder what the stuff they produce will look like. I just read an interview with him in Anthem (or maybe I-D) and one of the interesting things he said was about a song he really loved that had no words, and how he could relate to that as a designer without clothes, but I guess that isn't the case anymore. This collection is really out of this world, makes me think of club kids in Party Monster.
              music

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

LOL! ok, I see now....very clever eyes you've got there, djrajio.

Well, that makes it even better!

I am dying to see what they produce--sounds like it will be $$$$

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

This shit freaks me out. It's good theater, though!
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Q&A with Gareth Pugh

Q&A with Gareth Pugh
                    by Katya Foreman
                    Posted Friday September 26, 2008
                    From WWD Issue 09/26/2008
                    Add Note

Photo By: Courtesy Photo
                    Gareth Pugh

PARIS — Garbage bag coats, safety-pin dresses and a stole crafted from red-eyed white mink mice are just some of the outré handiwork dished up by underground British designer Gareth Pugh during his past five seasons spent storming the runways at London Fashion Week. Shifting gears, Saturday will mark the avant-garde 27-year-old’s grand Paris debut, a move financed by the 200,000 euro ($294,000 at current exchange) in prize-money awarded to him this June as winner of the city’s Andam Award. In July, Pugh, who is distributed in 22 doors internationally, including Barneys New York and Colette in Paris, established his company, Hard and Shiny, with Michelle Lamy, who owns 49 percent of the business. Pugh’s collection is mainly produced by the same factory as Rick Owens, who is married to Lamy, based in Concordia, Italy. Here, Pugh sits down with a cup of tea and a cigarette to discuss his outlook.

WWD: You’ve come from Sunderland, in northeast England, to Paris. How does it feel?

Gareth Pugh: Really nerve-racking. I was fine before I got here but now it’s really starting to dawn on me how big it is. In London, a lot of your designer peers are your friends. Here it’s a different ball game.

WWD: What does Paris have to offer that London doesn’t?

G.P.: Here I get to power my business forward. It seems that London is never a destination, but more of an afterthought, so a lot of my buyers don’t get to see my shows. In London you also get stuck with certain labels. Paris sets a different tone, it feels like I’m stepping up a gear.

WWD:
                    The Andam prize enabled you to show here this season. Are fashion prizes helpful in the long run?

G.P.: “If the prize didn’t exist, I would still be showing in London. Everything has a risk to it, but I think it’s necessary to give yourself a good kick up the ass. I’m not saying London was easy, but it was comfortable, familiar territory. It’s nice to have a new challenge. I like to compare it to getting off the merry-go-round and climbing onto a roller-coaster.

WWD: What’s the difference between what we see on the catwalk and what ends up on the shop floor?

G.P.: This season, the sales collections will form a big part of the catwalk show, what you see is what you get. It’s expensive for a factory to produce a whole new line, and we’ve had to push them to make things as a lot of the pieces are labor-intensive. I’ve been going over there every weekend and I’m happy with the results. Nine of the show pieces are very “me” outfits, featuring lots of handiwork, that will be sold by special order.

WWD: Any collaborations for spring?

G.P.:
                    Yes, Judy Blame is working on some light, airy jewelry pieces and I’ll also be using some hand-made glove designs by Simon Azoulay.

WWD: Any new categories?

G.P.: Yes, I’ll be commercializing my first shoe this season.

WWD: Is London, and its scene, very much a part of your identity?

G.P.: “I’ve come up with a lot of people. I went to [Central Saint Martin’s] with Christopher Kane, I’ve known Henry Holland since back when he was a fashion editor at Smash Hits [a British music magazine for teens], and now suddenly we’re all known. It’s not one person that creates all of the hype. I think it’s terrible that they’re shortening London Fashion Week just as it’s taking off. It really deserves more recognition.

WWD: Is it important for an emerging designer to do a catwalk show?

G.P.: For me it’s really important as it’s the essence of what I do. It’s like selling a perfume; we have to sell the dream before we can sell the clothes. Having said that, I had sponsoring for all of my London shows, and I plan to make the Andam money stretch over two shows, even if it’s supposed to go on one. I could have done seven London shows out of that prize. You have to be clever with what you do as I’m well aware that people can be interested today and tomorrow be, “who’s Gareth Pugh?” Andy Warhol would always complain about taxi fares when he was a millionaire. I think it’s good to have business sense. It’s not like I’m going to spend my dad’s yearly income on hiring one model.”

WWD:
                    Why have you chosen to show at the Palais de Tokyo?

G.P.: We wanted to show somewhere quite tight but not teeny-tiny and off the beaten track. I quite liked the idea of having my girls stomping round a really classic French salon, but maybe we’ll leave that for next season.”
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                      • Sep 2006

really looking forward to his collection... maybe more than any of the others.

Comment

• Secretside
                        • Jul 2008

it's exciting to see how far he's come in such a short period of time! good for him.

thanks for posting, faust.

Comment

• Silver
                          • Sep 2008

I cant help but admit that i like this... i really wasn't very keen on past collections, found them a bit clichéd .. reckon the move to Paris was a good choice though, hanging around with the joke that is Henry Holland cant do you any good!!
                          http://research-development.tumblr.com/

Comment

• mamaboy
                            • Mar 2008

rick store in paris has some g pugh stuff,that they did together--totally chik and wearable....for women only...
                            but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• electric_alyce
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
                              rick store in paris has some g pugh stuff,that they did together--totally chik and wearable....for women only...
                              PUH-LEEEAAASE someone dig up some pictures!?
                              And I love Pugh, both the far-out sculptural pieces and the wearables/cooperations. I ADORE the skyscraper-high platform docs he made
                              Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎