• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Help me find vintage jacket and vest!

So, I have no clue about vintage shopping, and I am supposed to be Viktor from Corpse Bride for the Halloween. I need to buy a vest and the type of jacket he's wearing (i can get the rest of the stuff from my wardrobe). Can someone point me to a vintage store in NYC where I can get something like that? TIA!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • darkanimal
    • Sep 2006

Re: Help me find vintage jacket and vest!

For vest you can try Rags-a-gogo. It's 14th Street between 8ave and 7ave. I bought a vintage vest there for last year's Halloween. And the prices aren't ridiculous like the ones on East Village. That jacket, an Army Navy Surplus shop in West 8th Street bet 5th and 6th Ave, (the name escapes me atm but it's along that street that has tons of sneaker store) might be a try. They have similar coats like that afaik which are vintage.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="darkanimal"]For vest you can try Rags-a-gogo. It's 14th Street between 8ave and 7ave. I bought a vintage vest there for last year's Halloween. And the prices aren't ridiculous like the ones on East Village. That jacket, an Army Navy Surplus shop in West 8th Street bet 5th and 6th Ave, (the name escapes me atm but it's along that street that has tons of sneaker store) might be a try. They have similar coats like that afaik which are vintage.
      [/quote]

Thanks, man - I'll check those out.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Went to Rags-A-Go-Go yesterday and got the vest, cheap! Will check out the army-navy store today. Rags-A-Go-Go is also getting flannel tuxes today, but in grey. I still might do that though, they are only $28!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkanimal
          • Sep 2006

Yes that place is amazing, glad you found something. I haven't been there in the longest time but might drop by if I need some last min Halloween costume too. Good luck!

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I struck out at the Army/Navy store. Any other recommendations?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkanimal
              • Sep 2006

This would probably get pricy now and sizes might be very select, Atomic Passion 430 E. 9th St bet 1st Ave and Ave A. And if it's really desperation Cheap Jack's 303 5th Ave, which aren't cheap at all. They relocated so I haven't been to the 5th Ave store, but it's somewhere in the upper 20's streets.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="darkanimal"]This would probably get pricy now and sizes might be very select, Atomic Passion 430 E. 9th St bet 1st Ave and Ave A. And if it's really desperation Cheap Jack's 303 5th Ave, which aren't cheap at all. They relocated so I haven't been to the 5th Ave store, but it's somewhere in the upper 20's streets.
                [/quote]

What about Gothic Renaissance? Screaming Mimi's? Expensive?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkanimal
                  • Sep 2006

Not sure about the prices, but that was another one on my mind Gothic Renaissance on 23 street I believe, I just could not remember the name. I think I've gone inside and they have good stuff, worth a try I'm guessing they might be cheaper than Cheap Jack's. Screaming Mimi's I would say is very expensive, not worth it for just something you would want to use for a night. It's bloated vintage prices that you can find anywhere else, however if you happen to be in the area might as well head in. So far the one's I'm giving you are places that have real vintage and not thrift, something good for sourcing Halloween costumes. There are a couple of so called "vintage" places however they are stocked more for the Williamsburg fashion.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎