• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Chain, High Street, Mass Market stores

So, which of the chain stores do you like? Personally, I don't really like any of them, for better or worse. I think in big part it is still the overwhelming perception in America that men should dress like sloppy apes that is responsible for lack of decent clothes in the chain stores. While I can see cute things for women in Banana Republic, H&M, etc. and absolutely adorable things for my daughter in Gap, I have NEVER been tempted even by a filler piece at a chain store. Another part of the equation is the rise of discount shopping and Ebay, that makes designer things sometimes cost in line with what you can find in the chain stores. And, obviously, I am not a consumer whore who buys something in a certain store just because it's a certain store - this also accounts for a large portion of people buying stuff.

Another thing I've noticed how consistently and infinitely better the chain stores are in Europe than in the US. It's just ridiculous how the concept of quality and taste is so further developed in Europe. Stores like Mango and Zara do offer decent things for women cheaply. WHAT GIVES?!?!?!?!?!

Oh, and I absolutely detest MEXX. That store should be burned down. I've never see such atrocious quality in my life.

Shoot!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Tafkap
    • Oct 2006

Re: Chain, High Street, Mass Market stores

I like H&M, ive been to the san fran stores and one in spain. I like eBay though. But I don't ever, ever buy anything less than margiela.

Comment

• dontbecruel
      • Sep 2006

Muji is my favourite chainstore and if you buy in Japan the prices are fantastic. Their stuff is utilitarian and interesting, not over-elaborate cheap shit like Top Shop and H&M sell. I know those shops do the trick for a lot of women who want a new top to go out on Saturday night, but menswear just doesn't work like that (for me at least).

I agree with you, Faust, that Ebay makes these kind of places unnecessary anyway. I badly needed a sleeveless cardigan for work and got a Margiela one on the bay today for less than I would have paid in Gap. It is a beautiful cross-hatch chunky knit and I can see myself wearing it for the rest of my life.

On the other hand I've always felt guilty that I don't manage to find high street clothes I feel comfortable in. A nagging part of me wonders if I'm just a label snob.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

Muji is my favourite chainstore and if you buy in Japan the prices are fantastic. Their stuff is utilitarian and interesting, not over-elaborate cheap shit like Top Shop and H&M sell. I know those shops do the trick for a lot of women who want a new top to go out on Saturday night, but menswear just doesn't work like that (for me at least).

I agree with you, Faust, that Ebay makes these kind of places unnecessary anyway. I badly needed a sleeveless cardigan for work and got a Margiela one on the bay today for less than I would have paid in Gap. It is a beautiful cross-hatch chunky knit and I can see myself wearing it for the rest of my life.

On the other hand I've always felt guilty that I don't manage to find high street clothes I feel comfortable in. A nagging part of me wonders if I'm just a label snob.

[/quote]

Cool, I have the same one! It's a classic. Another point, buying something like that on Ebay, if you ever get tired of it you can sell it and get your money back. It's like leasing for free.

I think a lot of people at some point have the same question. Mrs. Faust likes to bug me with it, actually, when she's in a sarcastic mood. But, I think I've come to know myself better, or at least I hope so.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Cool, I have the same one! It's a classic.

[/quote]

The one with the leather buttons? You have that as well as the zip-up one? If so you are a lucky man!

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"][quote user="Faust"]

Cool, I have the same one! It's a classic.

[/quote]

The one with the leather buttons? You have that as well as the zip-up one? If so you are a lucky man!

[/quote]

Oh, no, not the one with the buttons - I thought you got the zippered one (I haven't looked at MMM on ebay in a while, too giddy with my new jacket :-)). That one is cool, too! Love those old school buttons.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
              • Sep 2006

So the jacket is going well? Let me know if you get bored of it and want to cash in your lease!

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]So the jacket is going well? Let me know if you get bored of it and want to cash in your lease!
                [/quote]

I will [;)] Yes, the jacket is lovely.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• threerepute
                  • Sep 2006

i have a pair of shoes, jeans, and several button downs from
                  zara. being a very slim guy, they fit incredibly well for the
                  price. other than that, i dont shop any mass distributed
                  stores. i save up for designer pieces and pair with vintage items.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎