Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raf Simons website update (runway videos!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macuser3of5
    • Sep 2006

Raf Simons website update (runway videos!)

The title says it all, the Raf Simons website (www.rafsimons.com, naturally) has gotten a bit of a face-lift after being ignored for several months. I watched the AW 2006 video, and it the intro gives you a very nice sense of what it's all about, seamlessly shifting from geometric abstraction directly to the runway. Also, it reaffirmed my desire to obtain this sweater:

So, if anyone can hook me up with a location (hopefully Seven will stock it) I will prostitute myself in the required manner.

• casem
    • Sep 2006

Re: Raf Simons website update (runway videos!)

Now why did you have to go and post that?! You know I want a white sweater from the "yes or no" thread, so here's another thing to put on the list ;-).
    I've only followed Raf for the last few seasons, have his knits always been so fantastic? The Raf knits are really gorgeous, and the knits he did for Jil Sander are the standout pieces.
    music

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

That is a gorgeous knit. I love his knits, I still have some that I bought 7 years ago. I wonder if Boy is still doing the website - probably not.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• peanut
        • Nov 2006

I'm working my way through the vids. The AW 2000/2001 collection was unbelievable. I wish the videos had sound though.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="peanut"]I'm working my way through the vids. The AW 2000/2001 collection was unbelievable. I wish the videos had sound though.
          [/quote]

Also my most favorite Raf collection. In my opinion it is the best example of his supreme cutting skills. I don't think any other collection he has made was so tailored-stuff oriented. I still have a knit sweater from it (the grey one that's in one of the first shots of the video) - my most favorite knit. Thanks for pointing to the video, btw - I haven't seen a lot of those pieces featured - I wonder if they were even produced.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

I've been having fun watching some of the old videos. Can anyone tell me what season Hedi Slimane supposedly ripped off for his skinny suit look? Or is it just the general skinny silhouette and youth vibe from Raf's early shows that people speak of when they say Raf did it first?
            music

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="casem83"]I've been having fun watching some of the old videos. Can anyone tell me what season Hedi Slimane supposedly ripped off for his skinny suit look? Or is it just the general skinny silhouette and youth vibe from Raf's early shows that people speak of when they say Raf did it first?[/quote]

Pretty much.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I just wanted to share a few images that represent what made Raf my favorite menswear designer for quite a few years. It's his early work where he emphasized grown up clothes worn by adolescents. It's like wearing your father's coat, an adult coat that's too big for you, but not for too long. It represents that age perfectly, an age of transition from a boy on his way to becoming a man. I know that time has passed, and I am now older (and so is Raf!), but I think this was one of the great moments for designer menswear.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

I just wanted to share a few images that represent what made Raf my favorite menswear designer for quite a few years. It's his early work where he emphasized grown up clothes worn by adolescents. It's like wearing your father's coat, an adult coat that's too big for you, but not for too long. It represents that age perfectly, an age of transition from a boy on his way to becoming a man. I know that time has passed, and I am now older (and so is Raf!), but I think this was one of the great moments for designer menswear.

[/quote]

There's a great section in Raf Simons: Redux where a young model is shown wearing one of Raf's fathers (a professional soldier) military jackets juxtaposed with images of Raf's father in the military and of military life that really, visually, perfectly describes what you're referring to. The jacket itself is very Raf-esque, although not actually one of his pieces. I thought it was fascinating.

I'm going to be scanning tons from The Fourth Sex and Redux in the next couple of days. I'll try and post some of it here.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• mesh
                    • Dec 2006

Fantastic pics, always love hearing about the history of such things thank you for sharing.

Comment

• xcoldricex
                      • Sep 2006

looking forward to the scans! flipped through it briefly at the jil sander store in chicago - gave it to the girlfriend to read while i was trying on stuff ;)

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

Haven't gotten a chance to scan the Raf stuff, too busy scanning figure work.

I am literally staying 30 seconds away from RISD's main library, so if anyone needs / wants any scans of just about anything I can certainly oblige when I go back again (I've been spending at least two hours or so in there every day for about a week now).
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎