X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rach2jlc
    • Sep 2006

Happy Black Friday!

Does anybody else think that this is crazy? I don't know about you, but the thought of going to a shopping mall and fighting with 75,000 people for 20% off at the GAP just makes my stomach turn. I was watching something on CNN this morning and they were showing footage of people literally FIGHTING over clothes and items at a store. I don't mean arguing; they were literally beating the hell out of each other.

I learned my lesson last year. I had three guests in from Japan and they REALLY wanted to see what all the hoopla was about. So, we went shopping.It reminded me of being trapped in a subway car at rush hour in Tokyo.It was the last time I'll EVER go out on Black Friday. Let's just leave it at that (as for my friends, they're used to giant, absurd crowds ((albeit, better mannered crowds)) so they had a great time.)

Anybody else braving the crowds? Anybody else enjoy the fight, viewing it as some sort of latent berzerking-type ritual seeded deep in the Anglo-saxon psyche?

I'm staying home.

• darkanimal
    • Sep 2006

Re: Happy Black Friday!

Hmmm.. I've never really done this too. I do think it's crazy as well. The farthest place I will travel today is to my local Supermarket. Americans in general are obsessed about bargains, I swear even a saving of 20 cents they will go all out of the way. I really like to be relaxed when I shop, big chains such as H&M, for example, make me really dizzy just being inside. Even on a normal day it seems chaotic.

Comment

• rach2jlc
      • Sep 2006

Agreed. I've always found it funny that many of the people who are driving these gas-guzzling, 4 MPG SUV's will drive 50 miles to save 10% off on Black Friday. With gas over $2.00 a gallon, they probably spent more than retail in gas just GETTING to the store and fighting to find a parking place.

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

Something interesting I found out today is that men spend more on average on Black Friday than women. I (stereotypically and possibly sexist-ly) would've assumed the opposite. Then again, I may just be ill informed.

We don't really have a black friday, as such, here in So Cal that I know of. Then again, I don't really shop locally, so I very well could be wrong. Nordstrom's and places like that might be doing it.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Well, John, considering that Germans comprise the largest ethnic American group (unless you put the English, Irish, Welsh, and Scottish), the phenomenon is hardly Anglo-Saxon. But, yeah, it's insane. I know people got up today to be at Woodburry outlets at 5 a.m. More power to them - look at it as a good excercise for sharpening psyche and physique! Just kidding. On a serious note - Servo - I think the men vs. women spending on Black Friday is that because most deals are on electronics, computers, etc. I have to say though, some deals ARE very appealing - such as a good model Panasonic 42" plasma TV for $999 at Best Buy. But who the fuck would want to disrespect themselves by lining up for it at midnight and waiting to bust the doors down at 5 a.m. and wrestle with others. As one character in a Russian movie famously declared, "Only aristocrats or degenerates."
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xcoldricex
            • Sep 2006

oh man. you should see tokyo! i think the january sale is much worse than the sale i got to see (the july one) but the streets are crowded, the stores are crowded, the dressing rooms are crowded, the subways are even more crowded, it was rather ridiculous- i got there an hour after stores were opened and things were cleaned out. i did manage to score some things though at pretty decent prices.

the electronics deals were much better years past, now they're nothing to get excited about- but years before you didn't have to camp out either- you could just get to the store 45 min early and you'd still have a chance of getting whatever you wanted!

Comment

• rach2jlc
              • Sep 2006

How about a nice, long bump up after years? Anyway, I was doing a little virtual "closet cleaning" and found this post. Next week, yet again, will be Black Friday, but with the economy in the dumps, I'll be curious whether or not it will be as insane as before.

Anybody planning on getting out and doing some shopping, or are others feeling the "pinch" and staying at home?

Comment

• theetruscan
                • Jan 2008

Feeling the pinch, but if any of my favorite shops do a black friday sale, I'll swing by there. I won't really do the mall/mass outlet stores for black friday, too much madness and anything they sell is on the internet for the same price every day.
                Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                  Feeling the pinch, but if any of my favorite shops do a black friday sale, I'll swing by there. I won't really do the mall/mass outlet stores for black friday, too much madness and anything they sell is on the internet for the same price every day.
                  i thought black friday referred to when atelier receives their ccp shipments.
                  One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

We don't have these things in Sweden. There wasn't alot of people even during the H&M comme des garcons thingie. stockholm is never really crowded.

Comment

• casem
                      • Sep 2006

I am traditionally with my family in Chicago and we usually go out on black friday. It's crazy, the mag mile is like time square during tourist season, very annoying. But I've never seen it get so bad with people fighting for merchandise. I've never bought anything on our trip into the madness, it's just one of those family traditions that nobody really likes but we do anyway.
                      music

Comment

• sam_tem
                        • Apr 2007

i did circuit city 2 yrs ago and came out really well, but i would certainly say that it's best to avoid all the large retailers since the odds of getting anything are next to none. tried circuit city last year but these huge indian families at the front of the line literally bought most everything that was a doorbuster deal. ditched circuit city early to hit up office depot after cc and that was a cake walk. i was the first one there and hardly anyone showed up since it's not located next to a freeway or mall or anything.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                          i thought black friday referred to when atelier receives their ccp shipments.
                          That's called StyleZeitgeist black friday.

I think it will be less crazy as well. Lots of people are going to be out of jobs. Citigroup is laying off 52,000 people - that's mind-boggling. Also, more and more deals are shifted online, so no need to hassle. Anyway, I don't play that game - if you are a savvy shopper, every day is a black friday.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
                            • Sep 2006

Well... it's official... BLACK FRIDAY begins!

I'm staying home and revising some articles I have to submit next month... though I'll probably get out a bit at lunch just for shits-n-giggles.

According to Drudge, some people already started shopping at some places YESTERDAY. In my 'neck of the woods' though, everything was closed.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

It's a national American sport...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎