X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

How do you shop?

I am curious about different people's shopping styles and I'm always thinking about my own to minimize unecessary spending. So how does everyone here shop? Do you only buy things in person, on sale, brand new, online etc.? Do you use runway shows to pick out what you want, or do you just get whatever strikes you while shopping? Do you buy outfits or individual pieces? Do you tend to go for standout pieces or basics? Do you stick to a few brands or keep your eyes out for anything?

For me, when I first got into fashion it was outlets all the way. The thrill of the hunt is fun, but I've gotten tired of it and haven't found anything I like at an outlet in a long time, plus I ended up with some strange things I hardly ever wear. For the most part, I wait for designer sales and make a trip to chicago or new york for most of my shopping. Though for the last couple seasons I've allowed myself one or two pieces that I really want full price at the beginning of the season. Once sales start, it's kind of a free for all for me, I'll get anything that strikes my fancy, I also get a bit of sale fever thinking how it won't happend again for another 6 months. I much prefer shopping in store, but I do buy a lot from yoox and occasionaly do a charge send from boutiques where I know exactly how the brand fits me.
    I'm starting to think that I should be a little more calculating in my buying and only get things that fill a hole in my wardrobe, or one or two of my favorite pieces from the runway shows. I'm also a believer in finding "the perfect X". I have a few items that the description (i won't buy another pair of black pants, white shirt, grey sweater) so I try to use this to keep me from buying repeats.
    I tend to stick to only a few designers. Not because I'm particularly brand loyal and I'd like to think I don't buy anything for the name, but over time I've found the brands that fit me best and I stick to those. I'll venture out sometimes, but often (as with the recent Raf venture) other brands don't work and I go back to the tried and true. That said, if I see something great in a brand I don't usually buy, I'll still try it out, and I'm always open to discovering new brands that fit me as well as the ones I am used to.

My shopping style will probably be changing soon because I'm going to NYU spring semester where I'll be surrounded by all the fashion that's so far away from Ohio.
    music
  • deuxmille
    • Nov 2006

Re: How do you shop?

When I was living in Montreal I didn't shop that much at all. There was only one store that carried things that I liked, so I'd buy from thereoccasionnally. Now that I'm in Tokyo I shop a lot more. I try to not buy on impluse and usually when I go out, I know a bit what I'm looking for. Sometimes I end up buying something completely different, but so far, I'm happy with my purchases. I think I could be smarter with the way I buy though. I've only bought at full price (except for a few stores where I get discounts) and it's really burning a hole through my wallet. I find myself forced to buy at retail here because all the nicer pieces sell out pretty fast here, it's crazy. It'll be my first sale season in Tokyo and I'm looking forward to it, although I don't think I'll buy much.

Comment

• minomni
      • Oct 2006

i've been living and attending school here in austin for a while. with the exception of a couple boutiques and sometimes the neiman/saks outlets when they happen to receive shipments from the coasts, there is scant little else in terms of options. it's reduced me to primarily an online shopper and i try my best to use all the resources available. i'm open minded to new labels but ultimately find myself buying frequently from lines i'm familiar with. yoox was somewhat helpful in facilitating a more unbiased buying process - many of the random pieces that caught my attention were from lines unkown to me at the time [i.e.: jan&carlos, les hommes] and i've become more open-minded as a result. i don't think of buying particular items in terms of "the perfect" blah but do try to maintain a sense of awareness in terms of how it will fit into my wardrobe. more recently, i've began making a trip or two to new york each year and will pay full price if something truly strikes me. otherwise, sales are the preferred time to spend. on occasion, i will pay full retail for something from past collections that really appealed to me.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Good topic, Casem.

For me:

Step 1 = seeing a show

Step 2 = going to the stores when the season starts to see how the runway stuff really look, earmarking stuff. I've been priced out of the full price market in the past several years, and frankly I am beginning to think that with these prices stores and designers are insulting my intelligence. yes, partly it has to do with falling dollar and inflation, but you know what, at the end of the day their profit margins on full price items are insane.

Step 3 = always go to discount stores (well, Century21 really) at the beginning of the season to snag the best items.

Step 4 = go during the sales season and see if anything i wanted is still available.

Step 5 = go during clearance sales just in case - let's face it, things become more attractive when they get cheaper. this is mostly for stuff that i can wear to work. my mentality here is getting quality product for banana republic prices. often people raise browse when they scantly find non-designer items in my closet, but what they don't realize is that many of those pieces cost me as little as chain store prices.

Step 6 = internet. ebay+yoox, mostly. the reason i am comfortable with the internet is because i usually buy from designers whose cut i know in general. often they are exact same items i tried on but could not afford at full price.

I usually stick to the labels i know and like for the simple fact that it narrows down my options and i don't have to waste time. i am more open to other options when a store i trust, such as atelier, if or barneys brings in a new line. I don't care for staying ahead of the curve, but I do care for what looks best on me and for what brings a uniqueness to my look.

I think that's about it.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎