X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • khiev
    • Nov 2006

45rpm or A.P.O.?

I'm thinking of getting a bespoke pair of 45rpm jeans, but I've also recently come across some demin company named A.P.O.

Apparently, the company uses denim that costs $40/yard from India compared to the $2-$3/yard commonly used by designer jeans. Now, I know that the price may be influenced by different factors, and may not necessarily be indicative of their quality, but it sure sounds like the company is serious about their denim. Each pair comes with a certificate of authenticity, some ID no., and they even feature a secret continuous-stitching method to guard against counterfeits. Another sign of their quality is the fact that they use silk for their pockets. Moreover, they'd be happy to replicate the exact same cut of your favorite jeans, which I know 45rpm doesn't do anymore. Their jeans start from $1K, on par with bespoke 45rpm, for silver buttons etc. up to $4K for more extravagant buttons.

Does anyone own these jeans? I want to know more on how they age before I make a decision between the 45rpm, and APO.

• tweeds
    • Sep 2006

Re: 45rpm or A.P.O.?

i think it depends on what you're looking for - are you buying your jeans for exclusivity, in which case APO would probably be your thing, or are you looking for a jean that is respectful to the tradition and heritage of blue denim? 45rpm places more emphasis on the artisan nature of its work, with their focus on the basics of jeanmaking: cotton, weaving, dye and dye techniques, etc. it would appear that APO is looking for a completely different market, with their diamond studded buttons, silk, tailored fits (but seriously, unless you're going to be wearing a denim suit anytime soon...), C.O.A. and pricing.
    SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• sbw4224
      • Sep 2006

Tweed definitely pointed out the differences nicely. Personally, I would go for a pair of 45rpm's if you are deciding between the two.

Comment

• destroyed
        • Nov 2006

i have no knowledge of APO whatsoever, but i am suspicious. the enterprise sounds gimmicky and not very much in the spirit of denim. personally, i prefer copper burr rivets for how they age. and silk pocketbags has no appeal whatsoever.

i am not a fan of pre-distressed jeans, but 45rpm does a very convincing job of it. and i find it reassuring that they are in full control of every step along the way, including weaving their own denim instead of sourcing it from elsewhere.

broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Khiev, you could also as on superfuture, they really know their denim.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• khiev
            • Nov 2006

[quote user="tweedlesinpink"]i think it depends on what you're looking for - are you buying your jeans for exclusivity, in which case APO would probably be your thing, or are you looking for a jean that is respectful to the tradition and heritage of blue denim? 45rpm places more emphasis on the artisan nature of its work, with their focus on the basics of jeanmaking: cotton, weaving, dye and dye techniques, etc. it would appear that APO is looking for a completely different market, with their diamond studded buttons, silk, tailored fits (but seriously, unless you're going to be wearing a denim suit anytime soon...), C.O.A. and pricing.
            [/quote]

Yes, my thoughts are well, it's just that I wondered how different CPO's denim from India different from those from 45's. It just sucks that I won't be able to model my 45rpm after my favorite Dior jeans.

Comment

• tweeds
              • Sep 2006

to be honest i wouldn't be quite comfortable with a jean that doesn't use top-notch japanese denim - $40/yd denim from india is all good but there's still that feeling that it's not quite up there with the best of the denim woven and dyed in japan. i know it's not really an issue these days since denim from china, india and turkey is really stepping up to the mark (and even bringing in consultants from top japanese denim mills to improve their local product further), but it's just a lingering feeling of uneasiness.

although at $40/yd you can't go far wrong...it's just that for a 1k price tag, there are a few details i insist on having. just my opinion though.

SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• nairb49
                • Dec 2006

I'm in agreeance with most opinions so far, I'm for 45rpm. the APO seems too gimmicky for me.

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

From everything in this thread, and my own opinion from the beginning, definitely 45 RPM.
                  WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• xcoldricex
                    • Sep 2006

as the resident 45rpm pusher. 45rpm.

but i'm biased. (but when will classic, high quality denim go out of style?)

i'd recommend getting it from japan though - it's cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎