X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

CCP "Eyeball" Ring

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for 'making' this. I found some local / internet sources for glass eyes and the lot that I'm going to start taking closer looks at, but I don't have a whole lot of familiarity with jewelry construction.

First off, does anyone know of any more photos of this particular piece (I know, asking a lot on that one) or has seen it in person who could comment on CCP's construction of it? I can sort of imagine how it might be done in my head, but practically, it seems like he'd have (obviously) more experience in the execution.

Basically, just sort of tossing it out there that I'm going to start playing around with this. If anyone has any suggestions / ideas / places to look, I'd certainly appreciate it.

I'm thinking that to make the construction more simple, I'm going to sort of "combine" the wrapped-nail ring and the eyeball, and have the eye 'held' from either side by the nail. This way, I don't have to source expensive / difficult jewelry accoutrements. Besides, nails are cool. I guess.

(I know, I may be biting off more than I can chew, but that damn ring is stuck in my head, so I'm going to try and make it for a friend)

edit: Here's the one I'm talking about:

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: CCP "Eyeball" Ring

ooo not a bad project.

You could save yourself money and get the glass eye via ebay...

I've been wanting to do one of the CCP wrapped wire necklaces. After the pig bag, it's the next piece on my list!

-A

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

ooo not a bad project.

You could save yourself money and get the glass eye via ebay...

I've been wanting to do one of the CCP wrapped wire necklaces. After the pig bag, it's the next piece on my list!

-A

[/quote]

The ones on eBay are usually just flat irises for dolls heads;

so far, I've found a couple of online retailers that stock fully "round" eyeballs. Of course, CCP may have used a flat eye as well, since we're only seeing it from above, but it looks to me like it's probably a 'full' eye.

Comment

• Seventh
        • Dec 2006

hey Servo,

It is great that you are trying to make that ring. I really liked the eye necklace by Poell (very similar) and was looking into buying it. I emailed Poell (well, one of the people who works for him) about it and they said that it was a very limited piece because they had run out of eyes! Apparently the eyes "are real ocular prosthesis used for surgical purposes and are made of acrylic based resin. therefore each eye is unique in colour and shape."

I thought this extremely cool, but not very functional. If I had got the necklace, I would have wanted to wear it regularly, but I imagine that the acrylic would scratch quite easily.

If you know a little about making molds, you could cast an acrylic resin "ring" that the eyeball could fit into. Using something like this and make a plaster mold heavly coated in silicone release.

Unless you have access to an anvil or something similar, I think bending a nail on a curve might be quite difficult. The trick would be getting a continous even bend, (I have access to a couple tools, I might try experimenting with this myself...)

Comment

• Kodak
          • Oct 2006

Servo you could always take a jewelry class at an nearby art school(young artists program). I've done this before and plan in taking another one.

Comment

• xcoldricex
            • Sep 2006

julius made an eye necklace this past season... i'll dig up a picture of it when i have time.

Comment

• Seventh
              • Dec 2006

Does anyone know if the Poell nail ring is made out of a real nail (iron or steel?) or if it just looks like one and is made of a softer metal (like silver). I have been trying to figure out how it is made, I think it is trickier that it appears a first...

Still, there must be a way!

Comment

• xcoldricex
                • Sep 2006

you can get a limited 1 of 1 custom eye done

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

That is terrifying.

Comment

• nairb49
                    • Dec 2006

I figured if ccp's eye is an acrylic resin copy, it must be the same as the ones coldrice posted above, namely, the ones they actually custom-cast for people as glass eyes.

Saw the process on "How it's made", crazy!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/English-silver-sterling-eyeball-glass-eye-ring-vintage_W0QQitemZ260064958941QQihZ016QQcategoryZ52 612QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pretty damn similar. Looks like people have had this idea for a while now

Also, for your own project:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GLASS-EYE-genuine-human-prosthesis-handcraft-190-GBP_W0QQitemZ320062478928QQihZ011QQcategoryZ1210QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It'd be REALLY easy to make the eyeball necklace out of this one. You pretty much wouldn't be able to tell the diff between it and the CCP version!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• xcoldricex
                        • Sep 2006

i can get something similar to the one chinorlz posted with the silver inset in hong kong - don't know the price but i can't imagine them being nearly as expensive as poell...

Comment

• Avantster
                          ¤¤¤
                          • Sep 2006

this deserves a bump just 'cause it's so freaky.
                          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• thejjbb
                            • Apr 2008

When I first saw the title of the thread title I got the hilarious mental image of a googly eye CCP ring knock off, like so:

P.S. That monstrosity is horrifying beyond belief.

Comment

Hahaha! That's awesome. I should make one.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎