X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Kiminori Morishita

I posted this translation on superfuture to contribute to a thread started by Minya. I know we?ve got a lot of cross-forum posters but for those that aren?t and the various lurkers he?re a translation of what this website had to say about Morishita:

http://www.la-couture.com/defonline/.../morishita.htm

Kiminori Morishita

When a Japanese man looks at the old country

Kiminori Morishita learned his designer?s laurels working for the Japanese company ?Tete Homme?, first as a modelist (sp-can somebody tell me how you anglos call those because it?s not the first time I tried translating this) then at confection and finally as a stylist. In 2003, he takes the plunge and starts his own brand, hoping to make his mark on the international fashion scene. A few seasons later he reaches his goal with a very accomplished F/W 05/06 collection that shows a real mastery of clothing and how to present it in the best light. His leitmotiv; fallen aristocracy, which translates Morishita?s vision, his imaginary perception of the European man, finds a magnificent reflection in this collection through a meticulous customisation of clothing. ?I imagine broidery as an integral part of a garment?, explains the designer. Obviously, if customisation was limited to adding embroidery here and there, on the hem of a pair of pants or at the back of a straight jacket (note: meaning a jacket that is in a straight line, whatever that means, not the latest in asylum chic) it would show. Kiminori Morishita became a master of personalization with lacquer tinted jackets, forever freezing thread, textile, material, and clothing. The end result reflects the high level of craftsmanship, requiring two hours of hand work on each garment, with a design that is on-point, all in subtlety, almost collectable.

(The rest of the text is about how they?re the only store carrying the brand outside Japan which isn?t the case anymore from what I?ve seen on the Tete Homme website). Keep in mind this is a quick and dirty translation, which doesn?t look that bad considering the original phrasing is quite awkward in some places.

Here?s where they?re sold:

http://www.tetehomme.com/cate/kiminori_morishita.shtml

If you?ve got some pictures or comments about the label feel free to contribute. I know I never noticed it even though I?ve been to some stores where it?s sold. I?m just intrigued by the whole lacquer idea as, contrary to say varnish, it?s a substance that actually hides, as an example, the wood?s grain and would surely look very odd on a garment.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff
  • Buckwheat
    • Sep 2006

Re: Kiminori Morishita

You can find some here on YOOX

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Thanks so much for the translation Fuuma--it's really very intriguing, as you say. Some pics from S/S 07. I can certainly see the fallen aristocrat thing.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

It's not bad - thanks for posting pictures, Laika. Fuuma, I also wonder what they meant by "modelist." What's the French word?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Jesus F. Christ - this just sold for a whopping $42 on Yoox. [:|]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

ha ha, yoox made another mistake. [:D]

Comment

• dontbecruel
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Jesus F. Christ

[/quote]

I always thought his middle initial was H.

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]It's not bad - thanks for posting pictures, Laika. Fuuma, I also wonder what they meant by "modelist." What's the French word?
                  [/quote]

A modèliste is someone who creates patrons at the first stages of clothing elaborations.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"][quote user="Faust"]

Jesus F. Christ

[/quote]

I always thought his middle initial was H.

[/quote]

Yes, but I have a different vocabulary.[6]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

[quote user="Faust"]It's not bad - thanks for posting pictures, Laika. Fuuma, I also wonder what they meant by "modelist." What's the French word?
                      [/quote]

A modèliste is someone who creates patrons at the first stages of clothing elaborations.

[/quote]

Lost in translation, but sounds like a pattern maker to me.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

Hmm, some nice jackets, but something about the fit of the pants is not appealing. Some of it also comes off a little sloppy, in my opinion, like the untucked dress shirts, but that's just presentation issues. Garment's don't appear to be anything too inspiring, although they don't really work into my aesthetic. If I wore more earth-colored clothing I might be more interested, but the colors are turning me off.
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

New stuff, seems kinda meh. I really dislike these utalitarian fabrics, always scream el-cheapo to me.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

The leather looks better, but I'd rather it was a bag of this leather than a jacket.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

The leather looks better, but I'd rather it was a bag of this leather than a jacket.

[/quote]

Doesn't it look like a better version of the DH one fro fw 05:

man... that piece looked so good on the runway and just felt like shit in stores!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎