X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Baron
    • Jan 2007

I Resolve, 2007

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread for fashion/style-related resolutions for 2007. Here are mine:

1) Wear more color. Embrace vividness. Toward this end, I've already purchased some basic tees in loud colors that look good on me. e.g. Much to my surprise, this fuchsia shade from Jil Sander(first pic) was surprisingly effective on me. Pink normally doesn't look good on me, but this one is perfect.

Considering one of my favorite designers, Raf Simons, has been embracing lurid color in his new work at Jil Sander, I thought it was about time my own wardrobe follows suit. I have enough black, white, grey and blue...2007 is the year for everything else.

2. No more jackets, unless I sell two to buy one I love jackets and hoodies, and F/W clothing in general, but I live in Texas. I own far more than I can manage to wear in a year, so no new purchases unless I sell some first.

3. Wear something other than jeans more often I have a lot of great jeans, many of which look different enough from both the Levi's archetype and the current trends to be interesting. A lot of them aren't even blue. But I wear them too much. It's time to get back to wearing more trousers, corduroys, etc. My Balenciaga bondage pants have been saying "wear meeeee!" all season.

4. Sell anything I haven't worn in two years by March - Look for some classified posts in the near future.

Those are mine...what are yours?

• macuser3of5
    • Sep 2006

Re: I Resolve, 2007

I'm with you on 1 & 3... I really look good in certain metally colors, and to that end, I've been adding gold and bronze to my wardrobe (Helmut Lang made some metallic leathers that I really want to pick up.Basically, I need to embrace the following colors: Bronze, Copper, Royal Blue, Green, Purple, and flashes of pure snow white. I by nature hesitate and avoid color, which I feel has resulted in a nice, but drab pallette of earth tones and such. This leads to my real goal, for the year, which is to nail down what exactly I like and want, in terms ofaesthetics. I don't want to waste purchases, and since I'm graduating, I need to bulk up on causal work-friendly items.

My own wardrobe to do list:

• Build up my dress shirt collection. I only have 3 right now. How pitiful. [:P] My goal is 9 or so of unique but subdued button ups.

• Start embracing color (already mentioned) and contrast.

• More diverse selection of natural fabrics. I'm eyeing some greylinen/cotton pants from Alexander Mcqueen on yoox.

• More blazers and minimal jackets, less whacky casual items.

• I also want a pair of nice simple dress shoes in a light brown color, and the Allen Edmonds Dryden model seems to fit the bill. Eh, I need more shoes in general. More pointedly, I wantanother pair of the Helmut Lang nylon boots and perhaps a casual shoe. I really don't care for sneakers much anymore.
    • [/list]

All in all, I'm trying to streamline my wardrobe and pick up items that are highly flexible yet distinct on their own. I have some stuff I need to remove (HL sneakers from S/S 2006 and so on), so perhaps I will see you in the classifieds [:)]

Comment

• CHRIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2006

-no more cardigans. i have like, 33.

-more brown. i havent owned anything brown in like, 3 years. i just boughta pair of brown acnes, and i love them. also, moreroyal blue. i just bought a cardigan (my last, i promised myself) in that color and was rather delighted.

-be less impulsive. when i see something i like, i wont just immediately buy it (like i've been doing for the past year).

-sell things that are collecting dust.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Baron, it's really nice to see you here - welcome. I missed you on tFS, and now I'm glad you are here.

My only resolution for 2007 is to change my spending habits. I resolve not to buy things just because they are cheap, but buy them because I REALLY want them or because they fill a hole in my wardrobe. My only hole right now is a nice formal/edgy coat, which I resolve to buy. Otherwise I'd like to buy many less things, but maybe spend more money on each item.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Amethyst
          • Jan 2007

- Embrace brighter colors, my wardrobe's pretty monotonous as it is right now.

- A couple more cardigans/jackets

- Getting rid of tops I don't wear

- Variety for bottoms, not just jeans and more jeans.

I guess that's about it for now...

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

I'm on the same boat as many of you,

- buy shirts, sweaters that are not grey or black. I've recently gotten black jeans and grey wool trousers, problem is that I cant wear them with a lot of my shirts or it would look like a jumpsuit.

- wear something else than jeans - I have some other pants now, I just need something to wear them with

- get rid of old stuff

- buy a jacket thats not black [8-)]

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• deuxmille
              • Nov 2006

I covered the pants this fall, so like many of you I'm hoping to buy nice shirts and various tops. I also greatly need nice shoes, but I never find anything I like... maybe learn shoemaking ;)

Also, be less of a prick.

Comment

• doldrums
                • Dec 2008

i resolve, 2011 - venture off the familiar road and give augusta/a1923 (authenticity hangups), julius (juvenility issues), BBS (combo of the two) and color a chance (black doldrums).

probably won't get to the latter two EDIT three anytime soon but definitely gonna kop that augusta backpack thing...
                Last edited by doldrums; 01-02-2011, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• plasmoplas
                  • Sep 2010

Take a long-term approach to my acquisitions.

I 'work' hard finding the pieces I like with a fit that works, but sometimes I forget what direction I want my style to move in, and the activities I take part in.

The last part refers to balancing what I own with how often I'll have occasion to wear it, based on my work/recreation time, local weather (New England), and the indoor/outdoor activities I enjoy.

Comment

• Lumina
                    • Dec 2009

Grow my hair, make sport and iron my clothes, if I manage to do that, I'll be just fine !

Comment

• endersgame
                      • Aug 2009

start saving for my retirement/kids.
                      stop spending money on bullshit..

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎