X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JaridRose
    • Jan 2007

Margiela and Tabi boots

Sorry I don't have a picture handy, but I am sure you all know that Margiela uses Tabi boots. I have a debate going with my friend that goes something like this.....

I say that it would be Okay for a designer to come out, do a show, use Tabi boots and sell Tabi boots just as Margiela does.

He says because Margiela has "deemed" the tabi boot his and people recognize it as Margiela it would be wrong, and cheating in a way, and also hurt the designer.

I say that Margiela didn't "create" the tabi and besides that people make heels, boots, shoes, etc. that look much like many others! Why should Margiela's Tabi be left alone and why has it?

j

• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Margiela and Tabi boots

I have an eight page paper on that, if you'd like. Short answer, in my opinion it would be Ok for designer to copy this design, or reinterpret it. I don't think it's a good idea, as it's become a Margiela staple; so if you want to be knows as a creative, innovative designer, better come up with something interesting of your own.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• JaridRose
      • Jan 2007

Yeah, I see that, it's just funny to me that something like that became his staple and why, say the plain ol high heel was never looked at like that for anyone.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="JaridRose"]Yeah, I see that, it's just funny to me that something like that became his staple and why, say the plain ol high heel was never looked at like that for anyone.[/quote]

Well, no one has done it before in European fashion as far as I know, so it's pretty distinctive, just like his classic biker jacket (as opposed to the original biker jacket). Doing same things season after season also helps to make some things unmistakably his (as well as serving as a little FU to the ephemerality of fashion).

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎