X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beawulf
    • Jan 2007

can I shrink it?

Hi, this is my first post! I found you guys yesterday and I think somone may be able to help me out...

My Mom got me a fantastic handmade coat from Zara but its just a bit to big and I look kinda dumpy in it. So I was wondering if i could shrink it without ruining it completely. The outershell is 70% woll and 30% Nylon and the lining is 100% polyester. As a textiles major I feel stilly not knowing if it would work or not this but I've just starded my major studies...

Thanks!

• Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: can I shrink it?

mm, probably not uniformly unfortunately. The poly and the nylon don't shrink as they're synthetics. The wool will and potentially result in a fabric "buckling" which is definitely not the look you're going for.

Your best bet is to take it to a really solid tailor and get it tailored for you. Be sure they take up the sleeves at the shoulders and not at the cuffs! HUGE difference!

Good luck!

Albert

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

why not just take it to a tailor? what care instructions are on the tag?

P.S. Welcome

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xcoldricex
        • Sep 2006

coats aren't a very good thing to try to shrink - as everyone else said - take it to the tailor!

Comment

• beawulf
          • Jan 2007

yeah...that was my fear...thanks a lot though! :)

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎