X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Thom Browne F/W 07-08

I don't have time to post pics, but they're all up on men.style. I've got to say, I think what he is doing is pretty amazing. As some others have said, it comes close to couture for men (with prices to match). Unlike some designers who play it safe with continued minor variations on the menswear vocabulary, I respect Thom for not holding back and completely transforming menswear staples (even if the end result isn't very wearable). I also love that what he shows is exactly what he produces, so you can bet that jacket with the huge train at the end of the show is going to be in stores.

I just wish I could afford it, there was a suit left in heavy padded felt at Barney's that was fantastic, but even with a severe markdown, I can't swing it, oh well, maybe it'll be at the Barney's warehouse sale...

music
  • Johnny
    • Sep 2006

Re: Thom Browne F/W 07-08

casem - I don't get this. I saw some of the pics. They look ridiculous to me. I genuinely don't understand the appeal. The trousers are getting shorter, everything is getting mroe weird. But it's not weird in a good way. Skin tight short-shorts under coats with knee high socks is NEVER going to be a good look. I genuinely don't understand where he's going with this.....

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

casem - I don't get this. I saw some of the pics. They look ridiculous to me. I genuinely don't understand the appeal. The trousers are getting shorter, everything is getting mroe weird. But it's not weird in a good way. Skin tight short-shorts under coats with knee high socks is NEVER going to be a good look. I genuinely don't understand where he's going with this.....

[/quote]

What, you don't like this?

I have to say, some coats look fresh and really well made. Most of it is clownish though. WTF is this for example? A guy on steroids with a cardigan three sizes too small

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

LMAO

Comment

• Johnny
          • Sep 2006

Seriously, what the bejeezus is that? Theres are good reasons why most designers stick to tweaking the basics with menswear. And those pictures are just two of the best of them.

Comment

• sbw4224
            • Sep 2006

I think there are some good pieces in here, but there is definitely some serious wtfery going on.

Comment

• Casius
              • Dec 2006

So, can I have all your money?
              Emperor, is that you?

This is maybe the only look I enjoyed and thought it would be practical.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• macuser3of5
                • Sep 2006

I dig his overall approach, it's very fetishistic, personaland nostalgic, theidea of the suit and coat are all bent into chaos, but still retain a gentleman's simplicity and severity... There is indeed a lot of wtfery going on, but what ends up in the stores is usually pretty spot-on, from what I've seen in the past.

I dig the overall look of this:

Comment

• casem
                  • Sep 2006

Ouch. I guess what I like is that it is ridiculous. He's working in the most stuffy ofmediums, men's tailored clothes, and making completely insane things. It reminds me of the Dada approach to art which appeals to me. Going through years of stuffy music school sometimes I just want to write a big musical F U to the academics and in a way I get that feeling from Browne. I wouldn't call him a designer though, and if you're expecting him to be maybe that's why you're disappointed (collective you that is, I don't mean to be personal). I don't think his intention is to create a new look or style each season or even to create very wearable clothes (thus the couture connection). I see him as more of a technician who uses his shows to show his great skills as a tailor and craftsman, and I think there is artistry in that.
                  music

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ point well taken. when you try to find a new direction, you experiment, the way the dadaists experimented (along with other countless ists during Modernism). whether your experiment ends up as good or laughable is another story - newness is an element worthy in itself (not for me, but for Modernists that was imperative).
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deuxmille
                      • Nov 2006

I think it looks good, but it's really appart from the rest. I would want to try on those long skirts, they look pretty good I think, well not the checked one.

Comment

• Johnny
                        • Sep 2006

casem I think your point is also well made (and I hope you didn't think any of my comments were directed at you in a personal way - they weren't). However, although I agree about the technical aspectsI can'tfind any sympathy with this product at all. Incidentally although I don't think Faust was saying that this was Modernistic as such,my understanding of Modernism is that itwas about democratic functional designusing good, available (albeit new and technologically advanced) materials, and what was imperative was there was a valid use at the end of it - auseable product.Thom Browne seems the opposite of that to me - it's extremely indulgent and decadent and the prices certainly make it undemocratic. I wonder what the need for it is - in the sense that it seems that one aspect of it is simply to make extremely expensive clothes in the most expensive fabrics available. Why though?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]casem I think your point is also well made (and I hope you didn't think any of my comments were directed at you in a personal way - they weren't). However, although I agree about the technical aspectsI can'tfind any sympathy with this product at all. Incidentally although I don't think Faust was saying that this was Modernistic as such,my understanding of Modernism is that itwas about democratic functional designusing good, available (albeit new and technologically advanced) materials, and what was imperative was there was a valid use at the end of it - auseable product.Thom Browne seems the opposite of that to me - it's extremely indulgent and decadent and the prices certainly make it undemocratic. I wonder what the need for it is - in the sense that it seems that one aspect of it is simply to make extremely expensive clothes in the most expensive fabrics available. Why though? [/quote]

Johnny, I actually meant Modernist art, not design, where the imperative was, in Ezra Pound's words, "Make it new." Good/bad was secondary. I don't agree with this, I was just drawing a parallel with casem's point. Coincidentally though, I am reading a book about Modernist fashion design done by artists (called Against Fashion), and it's in line with what you are describing.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nqth
                            • Sep 2006

I think it looks like a joke. OK the guy is having fun.

I liked his earlier short/short take on men's wear, but this is too much about nothing.

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

Understood Faust, andI knew that you weren't endorsing the view.

Another moan about this - what's with the addidas stripes thing? I see a lawsuit-a-comin.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎