X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Selling Clothes

This isn't a classified so I hope it's OK here.

I have a bunch of clothes I want to get rid of, I was wondering if anybody knows a good place in NYC to sell them. I don't have any great pieces that are worth ebaying but I'm hoping to make a little money on the sheer bulk of what I'm getting rid of. Most of it is Express, Energie, Diesel, D&G and some Prada from when I was in my fashion infancy.

Aside from my specific question, I thought since many of you sell off old clothes we could talk about how you go about it. Do you sell something everytime you get something new? Do you cycle through clothes quickly every season? Do you base some of your purchases on how easy they will be to resell?

music
  • cro426
    • Dec 2006

Re: Selling Clothes

You can take the designer stuff to INA MEN, it's on Mott St. between Prince and Houston. Call first, you have to make an appointment.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Ebay is your friend. All these consignment stores will rape you.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

In my experience, selling non-designer items on Ebay is not worth the fees or the trouble. INA only accepts capital D Designer clothes, so far as I know, but you could try Tokyo 7 in the East Village--they take all kinds of stuff, especially if it's quirky. You get 50% of whatever the item sells for, which is pretty good for consignment.

Personally, I don't bother trying to make money off used or non-designer stuff. If it's in decent condition, why not donate to Salvation Army?

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• CHRIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2006

i've probably sold 80% of my wardrobe on superfuture. it's pretty easy (and well, free), as long as your stuff isnt ugly.

i probably would have gotten 1/3 (if that)of what i've made overall if i had taken them to any consignment store.

Comment

• Servo2000
            • Oct 2006

[quote user="merz"]

[quote user="CHRIS"]

i've probably sold 80% of my wardrobe on superfuture. it's pretty easy (and well, free), as long as your stuff isnt ugly.

i probably would have gotten 1/3 (if that) of what i've made overall if i had taken them to any consignment store.

[/quote]

your stuff always sells like hotcakes on SF. By the way chris, how tall are you if you don't mind the question. I am trying to figure out if I saw you the other day someplace.

[/quote]

Tall.
            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

In the past I've given everything away, but now the stuff I'm wanting to get rid of is getting expensive so I was hoping to get a little money back. I tried ebay, but for used stuff by brands like Diesel and D&G I wasn't getting enough to make it worth the effort. Maybe I'll give it another shot with some Prada stuff. Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll maybe try one of the consignment shops and if it doesn't work out some homeless people are going to be styling in diffusion lines

[quote user="laika"]

In my experience, selling non-designer items on Ebay is not worth the fees or the trouble. INA only accepts capital D Designer clothes, so far as I know, but you could try Tokyo 7 in the East Village--they take all kinds of stuff, especially if it's quirky. You get 50% of whatever the item sells for, which is pretty good for consignment.

Personally, I don't bother trying to make money off used or non-designer stuff. If it's in decent condition, why not donate to Salvation Army?

[/quote]
              music

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎