Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather soled shoes: to cap or not to cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soultek
    • Feb 2007

Leather soled shoes: to cap or not to cap?

I've read things on other sites about whether or not to put rubber caps on the bottom of leather soled shoes.Most people on more traditionalist sites say to put the rubber on. My question is do the designers intend for the wearers to walk on the soles as they are sold? Or did they just want to leave the option to the buyer?

For instance, I've got a pair of carpe diem boots that I took to a shoe smith. I asked if I needed to put rubber soles on the bottom and he said no since there's a layer of leather that's nailed over the actual sole of the shoe. He said to not walk around in the rain and I should be fine.

Wondering what you guys do with these shoes?

• macuser3of5
    • Sep 2006

Re: Leather soled shoes: to cap or not to cap?

I don't cap, I just wear and resole when the time comes. Then again, I don't have $1k+ shoes [:P]

Comment

• khiev
      • Nov 2006

it's a no-brainer for me, I cap 'em all... you dont wanna deal w/ expensive resoling

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="khiev"]it's a no-brainer for me, I cap 'em all... you dont wanna deal expensive resoling
        [/quote]

exactly. that's not even a question.

soultek, some shoes do come with the extra layer of rubber - I always consider it a nice touch. i am not sure why they don't do it at the factory. i can think of two things, 1. saves money 2. shows off the results of craftmanship (I LOVE seeing the little nails on the soles myself)

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• soultek
          • Feb 2007

Yeah, I have a pair of boots and shoes that have partial rubber coverings stitched, nailed or glued on.

As far as the reasoning, I agree, I think they might do it to help the impressiveness of the shoe at the store. Having a rubber layer on the bottom kinda takes away from buying such well crafted shoes.

I think I might have my shoe guy put a layer on my Cdiems as I almost slipped and killed myself last time it rained.

Comment

• explicit
            • Jan 2007

yeah, to echo faust, this should not even be a question. leather soles need to be be capped.

Comment

• Avantster
              ¤¤¤
              • Sep 2006

Agreed - I'd definitely cap them unless they're for something very specific such as dancing shoes to be worn indoors.

Quick question though - when yours are capped are they simply put on top of the leather.
              Cause the places I've been to sand down the leather sole first to make the rubber cap 'flush' with the rest of the sole - this normal?

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Avantster"]

Agreed - I'd definitely cap them unless they're for something very specific such as dancing shoes to be worn indoors.

Quick question though - when yours are capped are they simply put on top of the leather.
                Cause the places I've been to sand down the leather sole first to make the rubber cap 'flush' with the rest of the sole - this normal?

[/quote]

All the cobblers I've used just put it on top. I wouldn't let them touch the sole, even if they wanted. There is not nearly enough difference in the thickness of the cap on top of the sole to make walking uncomfortable. I don't see why they should do it.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                  ¤¤¤
                  • Sep 2006

That's what I thought it should be like - which is why I still haven't
                  capped my Julius boots yet - can't bear the thought of them sanding
                  down the sole! I'll have to look for another cobbler.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• tangerine
                    • Dec 2006

My understanding is that the sanding is not to keep the thickness of the sole the same, but to make a better surface for the adhesive used to attach the rubber, creating a stronger bond. This makes sense to me.

I find myself resistant to the idea of putting the rubber half soles on because the designer did not intend them to be there. However, I may be crazy. [H]

the woman Balmain is wild, casual, explosive cocktail of a sailor and a ballerina

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Avantster"]That's what I thought it should be like - which is why I still haven't capped my Julius boots yet - can't bear the thought of them sanding down the sole! I'll have to look for another cobbler.
                      [/quote]

I was VERY hesitant to have my CCP soles sanded down. The parallel lines stamped into the leather just made them look so nice... but I know a rubber layer is key. The guys at A recommend it as well, and come bad weather, it's damn near a necessity!

The cobbler I went to did indeed sand the sole, but it really was not that much, just to roughen the surface for the adhesive and rubber to adhere much better. A good cobbler will sand just enough. Nothing to actually damage the sole of the shoe.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• deuxmille
                        • Nov 2006

[quote user="tangerine"]

My understanding is that the sanding is not to keep the thickness of the sole the same, but to make a better surface for the adhesive used to attach the rubber, creating a stronger bond. This makes sense to me.

I find myself resistant to the idea of putting the rubber half soles on because the designer did not intend them to be there. However, I may be crazy. [H]

[/quote]

Same here. I also like the look of soles when they're all scratched. Slipping in rain can be fun too I guess... when picked up by cute girls after.

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="deuxmille"][quote user="tangerine"]

[/quote]

Same here. I also like the look of soles when they're all scratched. Slipping in rain can be fun too I guess... when picked up by cute girls after.

[/quote]

I seem to remember we had the same opinion; looks good onb oots but for more delicate shoes keeping the leather sole let the shoe its elegance

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎