X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monty76
    • Sep 2006

Rick Owens Womenswear FW07/08 - Paris

Itsays on Style.comthat Rick Owenssaid, "I was looking at the work of the French cartoonist Sens, who did caricatures lampooning Poiret women as insects."

I love the texture of the outerwear in the first look. The whole look is perfect with the tone on tone colour scheme contrasted with the different textures (leather, knit, fur, silk).The cut and silhouette is also brilliant, theoff-centrewide collar is perfect.If he doesn't make something similar for men, i'm afraid im going to have to settle for the women's. Though not very F/W, i like the draping and cutof the skirts too. There is definetely some Ann Dem influence here overall.

As for the other looks, im not usually a fan of the cropped waist buti think he makes it work. However, i think the more structured outerwear withthe webbed underarms are a miss. Not only does it not seem functional, but its just looks awkward.

• Monty76
    • Sep 2006

Re: Rick Owens Womenswear FW07/08 - Paris

Cropped Outerwear

Comment

• Monty76
      • Sep 2006

Flight Jacket

Fur

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Hmmm, I can't say I like much of this. I love cropped waist on women, but not when it's loose like that. This looks a little too potato-sacky. I really like the jacket with the huge hood - it'll probably look cool with the hood unzipped. I also love the idea of oversized chunky hats, but I'm afraid from these pictures they look a bit awkward.

I think the menswear was better, and I almost never say that :-)

Thanks for posting, Monty!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xcoldricex
          • Sep 2006

i like the cropped waist- i think the looseness allows you to appreciate the movement of the woman's figure even more while accenting the woman's natural lines (this is in my imagination though - since i haven't seen the catwalk video). not a fan of the shoes... didn't helmut do horsehair shoes for women? i forgot what they looked like on the catwalk, but these look terrible.

Comment

• sbw4224
            • Sep 2006

I'm going to let this one sit with me for a while. I'm back and forth right now on the first coats posted. I do agree with everyone that the coat with the huge hood is awesome. I think it looks beautifully cut. The way the collars are cut and almost wrapped around each other in the first 3 looks on the second page look like they would provide a lot of warmth as well. Again, on the fence about the cropped fronts. I think I would have to see a side view to get a better idea of what this would translate to on a woman. I think the flight jacket translated to a much more wearable piece for the mens collection rather than the womens. And where are the shoes?! A lot of the looks would have been better styled with nicer footwear.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="sbw4224"]I'm going to let this one sit with me for a while. I'm back and forth right now on the first coats posted. I do agree with everyone that the coat with the huge hood is awesome. I think it looks beautifully cut. The way the collars are cut and almost wrapped around each other in the first 3 looks on the second page look like they would provide a lot of warmth as well. Again, on the fence about the cropped fronts. I think I would have to see a side view to get a better idea of what this would translate to on a woman. I think the flight jacket translated to a much more wearable piece for the mens collection rather than the womens. And where are the shoes?! A lot of the looks would have been better styled with nicer footwear.
              [/quote]

I also thought that I would need a side view, otherwise I'm not sold on those wide collars.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deuxmille
                • Nov 2006

I kinda liked it at first sight, but when having a second look, I started having doubts. I think the only jacket I really like is the high collared puffy one, but it doesnt look too fun to wear. The cropped jackets seem to look better in the shearling, but as pointed out before, maybe they look odd from the side. I'm really not a fan of fluffly materials (especially on coats) and those boots are questionable hehe.

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

That puffy jacket looks like pure Junya to me! And A.F. Vandevorst did those boots before, but they looked cute.

This just re-confirms my feeling that Rick Owens can only do t-shirts
                  and jackets. I see he decided to ignore the bottom half altogether
                  this time. Maybe that was smart, especially after what he attempted for
                  Spring. The textures are remarkably similar to what Prada is playing with this season. I think Rick made them look even uglier though--without the contrasting sleekness, this looks too literally caveman.

Apparently, he was inspired by the French cartoonist Sens, who caricatured women wearing Poiret as insects.

edit: oops, Monty said that already. It certainly comes through loud and clear, anyway...

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                    • Oct 2006

i think this collection is quite cohesive and has a common theme, which is apparent in every single look. the execution in most pieces, such as the furry knits, are well done and have enough interesting pieces to be a women's go to piece for the winter. however, i'm not sold on the frilly moccasins and the flight jackets. they just look like rick is trying too hard. however, my opinions are clearly grounded on how ready to wear they are, which a lot of the times these runway shows are not indicative of.
                    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• nambla
                      • Sep 2006

Im not sure why you like the mens collection more. They are the same but with different cuts. The large hood with zip is mens. The really large hanging collar in leather and the jacket that looks like an insect open is also mens.

I love the fur jackets but Im not too sure about the short really distinct cut jackets. The design where a leather collar surrounds fur against the neck is in my opinion brilliant. Making a duvet jacket is not an easy thing but he pulls it off

Comment

• Seventh
                        • Dec 2006

I like some of the jackets a lot (the big hood one, and the two directly above that, and some of the first wide-collar long jackets). Also like the strange hoodlike tight caps (that he also did for men) that are sorta medieval. Shoes are bizarre, some of the skirts could be nice, it seems like one would have to see them in movement as they seems so flowing.

uneven, but interesting.

Comment

• Servo2000
                          • Oct 2006

I'm spotting a lot of similiar jackets and pieces, ideas perhaps, that appeared in the mens show, as Nambla mentioned. I think the ugliness worked better on the men, and I think his attempt to "feminize" the shapes even somewhat fell rather flat. The stylish, while bizarre, is lackluster. It's simply strange, without even managing to pique the interest by doing so.

As you can tell, not really a huge fan of this, even though I loved the mens version of this, which, as Faust said, is rather rare.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• nairb49
                            • Dec 2006

I quite like the cropped jackets. I think the flight jackets are a miss, as are the hats and shoes.

The furs I find to be very well done though, I love how he manages to achieve that silhouette.

Comment

• nambla
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]

I'm spotting a lot of similiar jackets and pieces, ideas perhaps, that appeared in the mens show, as Nambla mentioned. I think the ugliness worked better on the men, and I think his attempt to "feminize" the shapes even somewhat fell rather flat. The stylish, while bizarre, is lackluster. It's simply strange, without even managing to pique the interest by doing so.

As you can tell, not really a huge fan of this, even though I loved the mens version of this, which, as Faust said, is rather rare.

[/quote]

No offence but one can tell you and faust are american ;) Im not too fond of the insect silhouette shaped jackets but the rest is really brilliant. taking some of the feminine away and adding a mysterious and dominating look is something I love. Some of the styling isnt perfect but the jackets themselves are really brilliant in their construction.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎